New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default What do people want with the snarl?

I may have missed something, but it occurs to me that the snarl is too huge and powerful for anyone or anything to control, all it does is destroy every entity it comes across be they mortal or deity and it's essentially unstoppable except thru trickery, so what do people want with it?

I mean, it cant be controlled, it can't be contained unless it destroys a world and then thinks no one;s left to destroy, goes to sleep and gets taken off guard BY A BUNCH OF GODS who can't destroy it, but only imprison it, so what does ahyone want with it?

I mean, unless someone just wants all creation, including himself obliterated, what is the point of trying anything involving the snarl? Like I say, I may have missed something, but it seems to me that even xykon isn't nihilistic enough to want self destruction, nor should sabine or her overlords.

Sorry if I';m missing a point here, but why would anyone with even the vaguest notion of self preservation want to do anything that might unleash the snarl?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: What do people want with the snarl?

Like most evil "wanna take over the world" bad guys... I don't think Xykon knows fully what he is getting into. I forget exactly what was in the halfling's journal but I think Xykon doesn't know the full story of the snarl. Plus we don't know Xykon's full story. Maybe he came across some way to control the snarl if he only opens one of the small tears. Or maybe he is just going to open the gate and "wing it" and see what happens.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Shojo hinted that PC's of proper level might be able to defend against the snarl better than the gods could. It is quite possible that so few mortals know of the snarl because it could be controlled by mortals an is quit effective at killing gods.

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, ok, it managed to destroy an entire world as I recall, so I didn't see how PCs could stop it, but if there's a hidden mcgiffin that can do it I'm sure rich will do it in an amusing manner.

As to xykon unleashing the snarl without fully knowing what is is, I could just see him mamanging to unleash it an instant before roy tells him the truth, and as it begins to emerge, uncontrollably, he looks at it, then we hear a wet "PLOP!" sound come from under his robe.

Xykon looks down and says "Geez, I didn't know a skeleton could still DO that." while redcloak hold his nose and gags, a'la roy upon seeing belkar's chunky salsa,

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shojo theorized that with proper know-how, the gates could be used to let out a tiny portion of the Snarl's power in this comic. Presumably, that's what Xykon is planning to do.
    Last edited by Lord Zentei; 2007-02-13 at 01:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zentei View Post
    Shojo theorized that with proper know-how, the gates could be used to let out a tiny portion of the Snarl's power in this comic. Presumably, that's what Xykon is planning to do.
    Ok, I'd forgotten that one.

As to xykon, hmm, I could see him releasing a tiny bit of the snarl's power, then sabine's masters show up and fight him for it.

Meanwhile....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    There's evidence that the Snarl is confined to the prime material (?) plane (sorry, not up on my planar geography). If that's true, any enemy of the Prime would seek its release. Also, a Chaotic Evil deity no longer interested in creation on this plane could attempt to use it to destroy rivals, I suppose.
    Last edited by atteSmythe; 2007-02-13 at 02:27 AM.