New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Can any spell hurt it?

Quote Originally Posted by oriong View Post
    Immersion in acid only does 10d6 a round, wouldn't have much chance of breaking through his regeneration even as a normal tarrasque, and it certainly won't do anything like the amount of damage needed to kill it in the 1 round/level that the walls of force will stay up.
    Wouldn't need to only be 1 rd/lvl. The only reason why you put up the walls is to keep it from escaping the first round. After that, it sinks like a rock to the bottom of the pool of acid, which is far deeper than it is tall (2,000 cu.ft. should be more than enough), keeping it effectively trapped unless it has some kind of burrow speed.

At least it's a way to keep it contained until you can come up with a better way of dealing with it.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2007-02-14 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Wouldn't need to only be 1 rd/lvl. The only reason why you put up the walls is to keep it from escaping the first round. After that, it sinks like a rock to the bottom of the pool of acid, which is far deeper than it is tall (2,000 cu.ft. should be more than enough), keeping it effectively trapped unless it has some kind of burrow speed.

At least it's a way to keep it contained until you can come up with a better way of dealing with it.
    Acid is a liquid, so if its totally immersed, and can't get out, it will Drown. and it could prolly swim to the top and climb out given its strength score, leaving just the walls hold it in

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grendita View Post
    Acid is a liquid, so if its totally immersed, and can't get out, it will Drown. and it could prolly swim to the top and climb out given its strength score, leaving just the walls hold it in
    Considering how much the thing weighs, I think this is doubtful at best. At the risk of injuring Catgirls, it's paws are not normally ideally suited to swimming, and it's density alone would keep it on the bottom. It weighs how much? Yea... elephants can't swim either, and they're not as big as this baby is. Unfortunately for Mr. UberT, he doesn't have a trunk to breathe out of.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Yea... elephants can't swim either, and they're not as big as this baby is.
    Yes they can. They're actually pretty decent swimmers. This page has video of elephants swimming.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Mr. T has Power Attack and a lot of natural attacks, and a lot of stat bonus to get attack bonus from.

What's the AC of the ground underneath him?

Granite only has 900 HP per five-foot cube.

Mr. T doesn't need a burrow speed.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Halfling in the Playground

Let's assume that he can't swim (or climb) even though physics doesn't apply to d&d. So?
    Check out his spell-like abilities. You'll see he can dimension-door at will. That's 1200 feet in any direction, and it doesn't matter if there's a wall there.
    Put him in an antimagic field? Notice something else: He has a fly speed.
    And yeah, he could just burrow too.
    Pits and walls are not the answer. The other solutions are much more efficient, and much better.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can't swim? The tarrasque can swim just fine. He's got +17 to his swim check and there's no reason at all why he'd 'sink like a stone'. Human beings don't sink instantly to the bottom of a pool when they're thrown in do they? Weight isn't the issue, it's density. By RAW he can swim perfectly fine, and by physics he can swim just as easily as a human can, if not better.
    Last edited by oriong; 2007-02-14 at 10:56 PM.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

There's a real easy answer, but it's not the one you're looking for...

epic level PsiWar/Swordsage could likely take the thing out without too many hassles, given the right build. Say he starts out as a half-giant, you could get up to Gargantuan sized weapons with nothing more complicated than an augmented Expansion power, then literally go toe-to-toe with it, doing hundreds of damage per hit. Psionic Lion's Charge to get full attack on a Heck, you might even be able to trip the thing. IIRC, you're only one size category smaller, with Improved Trip, a Spiked Chain, and a whole lot of cheeze, it may well be possible to keep it from attacking you by keeping it prone.

Yea, I already know, you're wanting to kill it with a spell. Well, guess what... when you make it nearly immune to spells, it's just easier to do it with melee. Sure, it's possible (pimped-out sonic ball barrage, for instance), but why bother when your local friendly meat shield can go toe to toe with it?

And quite frankly, it wouldn't be too hard to build a 'tank' build capable of taking this critter on. Bring on the psudonatural et al... I'll break out the Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper/Psionic Lion's Charge/whatever I can find in ToB to simply smite this thing in a single blow. Then use a Ring of Three Wishes to wish it dead.

When life gives you magic immune critters... bring out the tank.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159

I don't know if tanking is a good way to go. The thing is an absolute horror in melee.

It'll be easy as hell to actually hit at level 45 (AC 45 from pseudonatural template, plus possible bonuses from Shield spell and any other template bonuses) so power attacking to hit shouldn't be a big issue, you can probably penetrate regeneration fairly easily each round, but unless you can manage to get out something like 1,600 damage in a single round you stand to get brutally, brutally destroyed when the thing counterattacks (assuming it hasn't beaten initiative and gotten the first hit in).

Tripping it doesn't keep it from attacking you at all, it's just a -4 penalty to attack. The thing's attack bonus will be enormous (over +100) and it gets 18 attacks per round. The damage from each attack is relatively negligible (something in the region of 45 each hit). What matters is the fact that once it gets hold of you it can drain up to 36d4 Con a round, and gaining back up to 180 hit points in addition to it's regeneration.

And this is only the abilities gained from the pseudonatural template and it's 75 tarrasque HD. It's other templates will no doubt make it more dangerous.

With 45 levels to play with I'm sure this isn't an impossible challenge, but I certainly wouldn't count on the melee tank without seeing a build.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oriong View Post
    I don't know if tanking is a good way to go. The thing is an absolute horror in melee.

It'll be easy as hell to actually hit at level 45 (AC 45 from pseudonatural template, plus possible bonuses from Shield spell and any other template bonuses) so power attacking to hit shouldn't be a big issue, you can probably penetrate regeneration fairly easily each round, but unless you can manage to get out something like 1,600 damage in a single round you stand to get brutally, brutally destroyed when the thing counterattacks (assuming it hasn't beaten initiative and gotten the first hit in).

Tripping it doesn't keep it from attacking you at all, it's just a -4 penalty to attack. The thing's attack bonus will be enormous (over +100) and it gets 18 attacks per round. The damage from each attack is relatively negligible (something in the region of 45 each hit). What matters is the fact that once it gets hold of you it can drain up to 36d4 Con a round, and gaining back up to 180 hit points in addition to it's regeneration.

And this is only the abilities gained from the pseudonatural template and it's 75 tarrasque HD. It's other templates will no doubt make it more dangerous.

With 45 levels to play with I'm sure this isn't an impossible challenge, but I certainly wouldn't count on the melee tank without seeing a build.
    Take it to the CharOp boards. They'll be able to solve the challenge in minutes. In fact, that's probably a better place to have brought the original topic.

Just off hand, PsiWar10/Slayer10/Swordsage20.

Round 1: Make a Concentration check to make sure I go first. Leap in with my Gargantuan-sized two-handed weapon of choice. Psionic Lion's Charge to make a full attack. Use something from ToB to increase damage even further. Dish out a few thousand damage in the first round. Use Ring to make it dead for good.

Round 2: Pose for the cameras with your foot resting on the thing's head, flashing that derring-do-good smile.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161

BarbarianGuy

maximized empowered piercing cold energy sub (cold) cold fire seeds!

8 seeds, reflex save for half, damage = 43 per seed, 21 if save succeeds

i CAN damage it. Fire seeds is an AoE which does not allow SR

for killing it, theres always using epic handle animal to get a paragon half-dragon ghost evolved undead (x NI) devastation beetle and then sending the 'champions' to fight each other to death

the DC of rearing one? why, its
    40 + HD = 168
    ring of handle animal +100, 53 ranks, take 10, skill focus (handle animal), animal affinity, epic skill focus (handle animal), masterwork tool, thats ... +180. enough time to even slap on the multiheaded template on it
    this one has SR NI, 35 tentacles, NI strength and cha, and all sorts of horrible brokenness
    Last edited by Armads; 2007-02-15 at 03:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    Destroy Cheese
    Universal
    Level: Sor/Wiz 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Range: Long (200 ft. + 20 ft./level)
    Target: 1 Cheese
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: N/A
    Spell Resistance: No

You absolutely and irrevocably destroy a cheese. No saving throws, no spell resistance, no questions asked.
    This spell is made of win. Seriously, every DM should learn it.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

It comes as one of the first-level benefits of the DM class.

We simply learn to refine it as we gain levels.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Armads View Post
    maximized empowered piercing cold energy sub (cold) cold fire seeds!

8 seeds, reflex save for half, damage = 43 per seed, 21 if save succeeds

i CAN damage it. Fire seeds is an AoE which does not allow SR

for killing it, theres always using epic handle animal to get a paragon half-dragon ghost evolved undead (x NI) devastation beetle and then sending the 'champions' to fight each other to death

the DC of rearing one? why, its
    40 + HD = 168
    ring of handle animal +100, 53 ranks, take 10, skill focus (handle animal), animal affinity, epic skill focus (handle animal), masterwork tool, thats ... +180. enough time to even slap on the multiheaded template on it
    this one has SR NI, 35 tentacles, NI strength and cha, and all sorts of horrible brokenness
    Sonic seeds would be far more effective--one less metamagic you have to add

Also, you appear to be under the delusion that you can arbitrarly apply templates to a creature with no cost. First of all, you can't. Second of all, you screwed up. Ghost template takes away its beautiful constitution and natural armor, and evolved undead is pathetic. If you're going to add templates to something, add epic psuedonatural or paragon.

Third, you might also notice a Devastation Beetle alone has a CR of 50 (versus Attriax's CR of 45). Once you've added templates, the beetle it has an even higher CR. And making a creature of higher CR to defeat a creature of lower CR is child's play. Though even with all the templates you've added, I'm still not sure you could defeat Mr. Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    This spell is made of win. Seriously, every DM should learn it.
    The DM already has the most powerful spell: Rocks Fall Everyone Dies. It's way cooler.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Why would anyone use the fire seeds when you can use the beautiful pimped out sonic barrage?

*Nukes* *Dimension doors*

*Thing dimension doors*

*Laughs as it can't attack and is nuked by repeat spell*

16. - Top - End - #166

Guys, six pages, and no mention of the awesomeness that is....

The Bard?

Max Bluff. Take the needed feats to make it better. Charisma as primary stat. Buff the good lord out of that. Epic items, stat boosts, the works.

Cast Glibness.

You're bluff check will be at least +150. Even on a nat 20 and with 100 wisdom, it has no hope in Hades to catch you lying.

Now you can tell it to do really whatever you want.
    "Hey, you, yeah you, with the face. I just farted. IT stinks really bad. You should hold your breath.
    Man, it still stinks, don't breathe yet.
    Goddamn, this is one foul fart! For your sake, keep holding your breathe!"

Eventually it suffocates.

Or convince it has been possessed by the Great Demon Cheese, but he happens to be in luck, because you can exorcise it for him. All he has to do is lower is spell resistance....

17. - Top - End - #167
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post
    Sonic seeds would be far more effective--one less metamagic you have to add
    You cant Energy Sub sonic.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

You can't energy sub in 3.5 (could in 3.0). But you can elven spell lore it (PHBII)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    Guys, six pages, and no mention of the awesomeness that is....

The Bard?

Max Bluff. Take the needed feats to make it better. Charisma as primary stat. Buff the good lord out of that. Epic items, stat boosts, the works.

Cast Glibness.

You're bluff check will be at least +150. Even on a nat 20 and with 100 wisdom, it has no hope in Hades to catch you lying.

Now you can tell it to do really whatever you want.
    "Hey, you, yeah you, with the face. I just farted. IT stinks really bad. You should hold your breath.
    Man, it still stinks, don't breathe yet.
    Goddamn, this is one foul fart! For your sake, keep holding your breathe!"

Eventually it suffocates.

Or convince it has been possessed by the Great Demon Cheese, but he happens to be in luck, because you can exorcise it for him. All he has to do is lower is spell resistance....
    Good strategy, but that assumes it has a language.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Good strategy, but that assumes it has a language.
    Smack it with tongues.

Conversely, be an Epic Mindbender and make it your slave.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    You can't energy sub in 3.5 (could in 3.0). But you can elven spell lore it (PHBII)
    One level in Archmage... Mastery of Elements. Now everything you throw can be Sonic at no additional cost to you.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why kill it? With a few house rules this is the perfect high epic level companion/familiar.

23. - Top - End - #173

GnomeWizardGuy

Spell of DM Bribery. Essentially this is similar to the legendary "Summon Pizza" spell, but it allows the DM to select the pizza, thus resulting in the remaining spell effect to take any form you desire.

Voila! Dead monster.
    Good Judgement mostly comes from Experience.
    Experience mostly comes from Bad Judgement...

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post
    I know how cheese works. I could gate in enough Solars to mob this thing to death, or send it to another plane, or take up 100 days to cast a spell it couldn't resist, or use Genesis to renew my spells within a single round, but that's not the point. The point is to kill it in fair combat. I'm looking for spells to do that.
    Okay, so you've created this creature that seems specifically designed to be immune to all the standard attack spell forms, and then you tell people that you don't want to use the various non-standard attack forms that they're suggesting because they're cheese.

Maybe I need a clearer sense of what you mean by "fair combat".
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

You want a spell that can hurt it? Ice assasin, I think... i've only ever heard of it from Pun-Pun's instruction manual, but if it works on gods...

26. - Top - End - #176

BlueKnightGuy

How about time stop, limited wish x10 for -60 to next save, and wail of the banshee?
    "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!"
    - FallenSavior

27. - Top - End - #177

Enthropomancer + Sphere of anihilation?
    "I am going to hack your computer. Into tiny pieces."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How do you get the sphere?

And SR makes it immune to WOTB.

29. - Top - End - #179

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fallensavior View Post
    How about time stop, limited wish x10 for -60 to next save, and wail of the banshee?
    My bad, I forgot the all important 380 +1 caster level ioun stones.
    "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!"
    - FallenSavior

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Would a Mirror of Opposition work? I looked at the description, and there doesn't seem to be any reason why it wouldn't work. If it does, buy two, and use both at once just to be certain.