New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Q 416
    If (incorporeal) creature will be affected with Trait Removal, will it get a Str score? How much?
    (For example, let's assume it was "inherently" incorporeal creature, not a result of some template/ritual/CF/spell/power...)

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ettin in the Playground

A 416

No. Not having a Strength score is neither an Extraordinary nor a Supernatural Ability. These are the only things Trait Removal can remove. Additionally the spell does not work on undead, which many incorporeal creatures are.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 417

I think I remember reading somewhere that you need to have intelligence score of 3 or high to take a class level in anything, is this true?

Q 418

If so is a Warrior an exception because the dragon magazine 3.5 update to oriental adventures has a sample Bakemono that has 2 Intelligence and 1 level in warrior, is that allowed RAW?
    Last edited by weso12; 2014-07-06 at 03:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Dwarf in the Playground

Odd that both times the next poster immediately took my number and got answered, but maybe the third time will be the charm. Q 419

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla-turtle View Post
    If a power was Metapowered and conditioned to Linked Power, would the price reduction from Metapower simply be part of the cost of the base power? And if so, and if both powers of the Linked Power were Metapowered to Linked Power, would it reduce the overall price of manifesting both powers by 4?

For example, manifesting Energy Stun costs 3 points, and Energy Burst 5. Using Linked Power, one would spend a psionic focus to manifest both at the same time for a total of 8 points. If both were Metapowered to Linked Power, would it then cost [3-2=1]+[5-2=3]=4 points?
    A 417 / 418

It is noted in the Player's Handbook that the starting intelligence for a player character is always a minimum of 3, even if the character is a race that has a penalty to intelligence, such as a half orc. The rule seems to be such that if your intelligence would normally be below 3 (possibly baring being hit with a spell or ability that would cause ability damage to your intelligence), it is automatically set to 3. By RAW, that Warrior your mentioned would automatically have a base intelligence of 3, though I believe it would be set to 3, not invalidate the character entirely.
    Gorillaturtle Avatar by Savannah.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Q 419 Is it possible to craft a specific magic item with special materials such that the magic item have improved traits (ex. Crafting A Raptor Arrow (MIC 56) with Razorfeathers (MMV 169) to make the raptor arrows have the properties of razorfeather ammunition)?
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

A 419

Ask your DM. That would be a custom magic item. The DM decides if such an item can be crafted and if so what the crafter must do.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-07-07 at 12:10 AM.

7. - Top - End - #847

Q 420
    Is there any Humanoid (as in the creature type) that is Tiny or Smaller, or any template that can make such a creature?

Also 420 Blaze it (its funny cuz marijuana)
    Last edited by weso12; 2014-07-07 at 07:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Firbolg in the Playground

A404b: Ask your DM or start a new thread. There are multiple ways to add metamagic effects to magic items, but one would have to examine the specific wording of each vis a vis Divine Metamagic to see if there is any possibility for interaction. As such, that falls outside the scope of this Simple RAW thread.

A407: Yes. From the text of Nightmare Terrain:

Quote Originally Posted by CM, pg 112
    Creatures within, entering, or viewing the area are entitled to Will saves to discern the illusion. Creatures that fail their saves become entangled. Regardless of the outcome of the save, creatures within 5 feet have concealment, while those 10 feet or farther away have total concealment.
    As written, this regards any creature within the area of effect, any creature that enters the area of effect, or any creature that simply views the area of effect.

A408/413/419: No. Metapower reduces only the cost to modify the base power, not the normal base cost.

Quote Originally Posted by CP, pg 63
    The cost of modifying your chosen power with metapsionic feats is reduced by 2 power points (to a minimum extra cost of 0 power points).
    Also, not to be pedantic, but the powers are not manifested at the same time. The linked power manifests automatically in the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by CP, pg 62
    The power that is manifested in this round is not altered in any way, nor is the linked power that goes off in the next round--however, you do not need to spend any of your actions or power points next round to manifest the linked power.
    A412: You were right about the poison DC, as:

Quote Originally Posted by MM, pg 6
    Most saving throws against special abilities have DCs calculated as follows: 10 + 1/2 the attacker's racial Hit Dice + the relevant ability modifier.
    In the case of the pseudodragon, it's 10+1 (1/2 of 2 RHD)+2 racial bonus+CON modifier (which is +1 for the pseudodragon listed). As far as the other items you were getting headaches from:

• Ability score adjustments: -4 STR, +4 DEX, +2 CON, +2 WIS. We get these modifiers by following this:
      Quote Originally Posted by MM, pp 6-7
      Except where noted otherwise, each creature is assumed to have the standard array of ability scores before racial adjustments (all 11s and 10s). To determine any creature's racial ability adjustments, subtract 10 from any even-numbered ability score and subtract 11 from any odd-numbered score.
    • Spell resistance would remain at 19, since it is a static number rather than a formula.

A415: Ask your DM, but I'm inclined to say No. From the SRD regarding illusions:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw.
    You have created the illusion, which is your proof that it is not real. Should you target yourself, you need no saving throw. Whether or not you can still willingly forego a save you don't need to make in the first place is outside the scope of the RAW and left to DM discretion.

A420 (partial): There are no tiny humanoids that I know of. You could always go with a Small humanoid race that has a permanent reduce person cast on them, though.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-07 at 08:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

9. - Top - End - #849

Q. 421a
    If a Dragon Shaman took the feat Draconic Aura, would he be able to have two Auras activated simultaneously (as each they are coming from two different sources)?

Q. 421b
    If the Dragon Shaman taking the feat Draconic Aura can have two Auras activated simultaneously, if he then takes the feat Double Draconic Aura at level 12, can he have 4 Auras activated simultaneously as the feat would apply to each source of draconic auras independently?
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 420 additional

The jermaline from either Monster Manual 2 or 3 is tiny and has a LA of 0. I think they are actually fey, but they are humanoid shaped so they can be used as player characters.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 422

What size weapons are rods that function as weapons (such as a rod of alertness)?

12. - Top - End - #852
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q 423

When a character has damage multipliers for a charge (Lance, Valorous, etc), what exactly is affected by the multiplier?

For example, if a weapon has an extra 1d6 fire damage, would that multiply as well?

Or is it like a critical hit where the only multiplied damage is the base damage from the weapon and any extra damage that is just a number and not extra damage dice?
    Iron Chef Trophies Trophy
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #853
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q424

Aside from casting Curse Water on it, is there another way to de-sanctify water according to RAW? If you convert it steam, put additives (e.g. lemon juice) in it, or leave it on the shelf for a decade, does it lose the positive energy that was imbued into it?
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 415
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Harpoons are said to be spears, which are melee weapons. To me they cannot be spears if they are not melee weapons. This makes it a case of text trumping table.
    A harpoon is stated to be a "broad-bladed spear forged with barbs", with a trailing rope attached. Your argument has no RAW foundation unless you find a "broad-bladed spear" base weapon. You can't choose to ignore the "broad-bladed" qualifier any more than you can choose to ignore the "short" qualifier in "shortspear". (If you did find a "broad-bladed spear" base weapon, you would next need to show RAW support that attaching a trailing rope does not affect its combat properties.)

A 421a No.

The Dragon Shaman Draconic Aura class feature and the Draconic Aura feat each individually limit the character to projecting one draconic aura at a time, without regard to the source of any particular aura.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook II, page 13
    Projecting an aura is a swift action (see page 4), and you can only project one draconic aura at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Magic, page 86
    Projecting a draconic aura is a swift action, and you can only project one draconic aura at a time.
    A 421b No.

You get the benefit of the feat; Double Draconic Aura says:
    You can project two draconic auras simultaneously.
    A 422

Physically they're stated to be as follows:
    Physical Description

Rods weigh approximately 5 pounds.

They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal. (Many, as noted in their descriptions, can function as light maces or clubs due to their sturdy construction.)
    You'll have to ask your DM what weapon size category (of light maces or clubs) such items fall into. However, a light mace is 4 lbs. @ Medium size and 8 lbs. @ Large size while a club is 3 lbs. @ Medium size and 6 lbs. @ Large size, so the likely answer is either Medium or Large.

A 423

You'd need to look at each individual source to determine what's included. Valorous, for instance, doubles the weapon damage on a charge. So the Flaming property to add 1d6 fire damage is part of the weapon damage and would be doubled, but properties of the weapon's wielder (STR bonus, Power Attack, & c.) are not weapon damage and would not be doubled by Valorous.

A 424 No.

You can pour the Holy Water into a lake or boil it away to make it not usable as a splash weapon, but the magic doesn't go away when you do so. If you could condense the Holy steam or remove all the non-Holy water from the lake, you'd have Holy Water in a usable form again. However, it's a single-use splash weapon, so a successful damage-dealing attack uses up all the magic.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-07-07 at 09:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #855

Q. 425
    If both you and your mount have the Pounce ability, and the mount charges, can both you and the mount do a full attack at the conclusion of the charge?

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 425 No.
    Pounce

When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.
    Attacking on a Charge

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.
    If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance.
    "The bonus gained from the charge" is a specific benefit (+2 on the attack roll). Other benefits obtained by the mount charging do not apply to the rider unless specifically mentioned. If you want the Pounce benefit, you (not your mount) need to be the one charging.

17. - Top - End - #857

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 425 No. "The bonus gained from the charge" is a specific benefit (+2 on the attack roll). Other benefits obtained by the mount charging do not apply to the rider unless specifically mentioned. If you want the Pounce benefit, you (not your mount) need to be the one charging.
    Yeah... I guess that makes sense by RAW. I will have to talk to my DM for a RAI pass, as it seems logical that if your character is able to charge and do a full attack in the course of a 6 second round, and your mount is able to charge and do a full attack in a 6 second round, then when your mount charges and begins its full attack, you too would half sufficient time to complete your full attack as well...

What would be really fun is to start charge while riding your mount, directing it to pounce/full attack at 'impact' and when you are 10 feet out, launch yourself in the air for a Leap Attack (using the momentum of the mount to provide the distance requirement for the Jump DC to remain 15. Then, if you have pounce, you still get your full attack while your mount continues to Rake and Bite.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 426

If I have the "Sidestep charge" feat as a tiny creature or as a medium creature using a Long Spear, do I still get to make my AoO? It seems that the feat allows me to make one even if I'm not threatening the area.

Spoiler: From the SRD
    Show
    You get a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against charge attacks. If a charging opponent fails to make a successful attack against you, you gain an immediate attack of opportunity. This feat does not grant you more attacks of opportunity than you are normally allowed in a round. If you are flat-footed or otherwise denied your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, you do not gain the benefit of this feat.

Seems like a case of specifc beats general, but I want to be sure.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 426 No.

How exactly would you go about making an AoO (a melee attack) in a space you can't reach with your melee weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidestep Charge
    This feat does not grant you more attacks of opportunity than you are normally allowed in a round.
    Threatened Squares
    You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action. Generally, that means everything in all squares adjacent to your space (including diagonally). An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you.
    An attack of opportunity is "no action" (see page 8 of Rules Compendium). You are not allowed to make AoOs into squares you cannot reach without taking some other action (moving, drawing a different weapon, or whatever).

20. - Top - End - #860
    Firbolg in the Playground

A426 additional citations To support the statement that you cannot reach your opponent in the scenario provided:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny, Diminutive, and Fine Creatures
    A Tiny creature typically occupies a space only 2½ feet across, so four can fit into a single square....Creatures that take up less than 1 square of space typically have a natural reach of 0 feet, meaning they can’t reach into adjacent squares. They must enter an opponent’s square to attack in melee...Since they have no natural reach, they do not threaten the squares around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reach Weapons
    Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square.
    Thus, Sidestep Charge still entitles you to one attack of opportunity (up to your normal maximum for the round). However, since the opponent who charged you is in an adjacent square, they are not a valid target for said attack of opportunity if you are either a Tiny creature (with reach 0 ft) or a medium creature using a longspear (with reach 10 ft, but without the ability to strike adjacent creatures). If you have other actions you can take in place of an attack of opportunity, though (like say the 5 foot step granted by Evasive Reflexes), you can use the free attack of opportunity generated by Sidestep Charge to take advantage of that.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-08 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Swordsaged by Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

21. - Top - End - #861
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 427:
    Uh, hey folks. If my Medium character has a Reach Weapon and there is an enemy in the 5 foot space in front of him. If someone moves through the space he is threatening does he get to attack that enemy through the enemy in front of him?

Player
    Enemy 1
    Enemy 2

Essentially can Player get AoO against Enemy 2 even though there is an enemy directly in front of him?

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Q 428: what medium sized monstrous humanoid has the highest Nat armor bonus, and what book/page number can it's entry be found on/in?
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 427

As a general rule, no. Enemy 2 has cover against you, and you don't get to make AoO against enemies in cover.

The prestige class Exotic Weapon Master has an ability that allows you to do so, however.

From the SRD:

When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

You can't execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with cover
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-07-08 at 02:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864

ClericGuy

Q429: if a druid of level 3 has a wolf as a companion (ie +2 HD) does it then become a large wolf (as the creature description lists 4HD wolves as being large).

25. - Top - End - #865

ClericGuy

Okay ignore my question. I've found my answer.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

A 429

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A druid’s animal companion is different from a normal animal of its kind in many ways. A druid’s animal companion is superior to a normal animal of its kind and has special powers, as described below.
    The description below does not include size increases. As a base the animal companion uses the base animal statistics which do not include the extra HD mentioned in the advancement section. This is a separate way to improve the base animal.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 430

Assume a magical trap with either Bestow Curse or Aboleth Curse - can you use dispel magic to temporarily disable the trap, even though both spells cannot be dispelled by it once they're in effect?

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 431

Could DMM be applied twice to the same spell if it were modified by Ocular Spell?

Take this bit from LoM: "You can cast a spell with a casting time of 1 full round or less as an ocular spell. [...] When you choose, you can then cast both of the ocular spells as a full-round action"

Since the spell is being cast twice, does that mean you can apply one instance of DMM in the round you first cast the spell, and another in the round you cast it to release it?

Q 431 - B

As a sidenote, is there a way to make Ocular Spell last longer than 8 hours in the eye?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-07-09 at 01:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

A 431

I think you misunderstand what ocular spell and DMM:Ocular Spell do. The former allows you to hold up to two spells in your eyes to be released up to 8 hours after putting them there. Each of those can be affected by DMM: ocular spell to put them there.

DMM:Ocular spell allows you to use Turn attempts to apply the Ocular Spell metamagic to a spell instead of using a higher level slot. You cannot make a spell an ocular spell when it is released from the eye. It could not have been there unless the metamagic was already applied.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Barbarian in the Playground

A430

It can be dispelled, as it is not Bestow Curse the spell effect, but rather a magical item that casts Bestow Curse.