New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1522
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Q594 follow up

ok so would it still count as a melee attack or could it now count as a ranged weapon during that attack? so would i need shot on the run or spring attack if i wanted to move attack move?

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A595

I'm AFB right now, but a quick google-fu revealed it to be on pg 115 of Dragon Compendium.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Troll in the Playground

Q 596: When using the tactical feat Confound the Big Folk, do I need to remain within my foe's square to continue to reap the benefits of Knee Striker or Unsteady Footing?

Knee Striker: To use this maneuver, you must first move into a square occupied by a foe at least two size categories larger than you. On the next round, the foe is automatically considered flat-footed against your attacks, and you gain a +4 bonus on any roll you make to confirm a critical hit.
    So, if I move into a square occupied by a foe at least two size categories larger than me, continue through the square and on my merry way, and then return to that foe on the next round (without re-entering his square), is my foe automatically considered flat-footed against my attacks?

Q 597: Tumble allows options for moving through an occupied square. Would tumbling through an occupied square qualify as moving into a square occupied by a foe for the purposes of the feat Confound the Big Folk?
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2014-08-03 at 04:49 PM.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 598

If a caster fails his CL check vs. An enemy's SR when casting Grasping Hand, can he keep making subsequent checks to overcome the SR, or is the enemy free of the spell?
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2014-08-03 at 05:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

[A 596: Your is indeed the correct reading.

A 597: It would.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 594 follow up

It's a ranged attack.
    Benefit: A number of times per day equal to 1 plus your Wisdom bonus, you may inflict unarmed strike damage with a successful ranged attack. This attack has a range increment equal to 5 feet plus 5 feet per point of Wisdom bonus. Normal cover modifiers apply.
    A 598

If the caster fails to overcome the creature's SR on the first check, the spell can never affect that creature. From page 130 of Rules Compendium:
    Check spell resistance only once for any particular casting of a spell or use of a spell-like ability. If a creature’s spell resistance fails the first time, it fails each time the creature encounters that same casting of the spell.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Invisibility/Glitterdust/Items

Got three questions that are hopefully easy to answer.

First, when someone is invisible as per the Invisibility spell, can the see/are aware of their own stuff like swords, shields, etc.? Like, can they themselves see their own being? I ask because a question came up last session when a pirate sorceress tried to cast teleport when she was invisible.

Second, in regards to being buried alive by, say, sand or loose rocks. Do you just use the rules for drowning? Drowning the lungs fill up with water and can be coughed out if they surface. Drowning in sand or rocks would be worse.

Third, is there any chart that says how much an item extending a certain spell duration should cost? Example, someone wants an item that extends the rounds glitterdust endures. (necklace of Glitterdust 1 round/level +1) DMG doesn't have anything close.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

A 599a (please number your questions as per posting rules)

No effects that grant invisibility list any penalties associated with it, and I do believe this question has been addressed in FAQ or a WotC online article at some point. From what I remember, you and your equipment are invisible, you do not take any penalties for using your equipment but your equipment may stop being invisible if it looses contact with you (depends on effect I believe), but objects you pick up do not automatically turn invisible, although you can 'hide' them behind your invisible equipment to make them such. Light sources hidden in this fashion still give off light.

A 600

The suffocation rules apply as per drowing, I'm not aware of any special penalties associated with drowning in something other than water.

A 601

The DM prices all custom items at his own discretion, with the first guideline being to base the price of an existing item with a similar effect. The first thing that comes to mind is a metamagic rod extend.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Invisibility/Glitterdust/Items

Quote Originally Posted by Scorponok View Post
    Q 599
    First, when someone is invisible as per the Invisibility spell, can the see/are aware of their own stuff like swords, shields, etc.? Like, can they themselves see their own being? I ask because a question came up last session when a pirate sorceress tried to cast teleport when she was invisible.

Q 600
    Second, in regards to being buried alive by, say, sand or loose rocks. Do you just use the rules for drowning? Drowning the lungs fill up with water and can be coughed out if they surface. Drowning in sand or rocks would be worse.

Q 601
    Third, is there any chart that says how much an item extending a certain spell duration should cost? Example, someone wants an item that extends the rounds glitterdust endures. (necklace of Glitterdust 1 round/level +1) DMG doesn't have anything close.
    A 599

There's no exception listed for the creature with regard to their possessions in Invisibility. If they don't have See Invisibility or some other way of countering the spell, the have to operate by touch rather than sight. If they need to see one of their possessions (to read, for instance), putting it down will make it visible again.

A 600

According to Sandstorm (page 18) you can't have quicksand without water, and you can't drown in dry sand. The character would suffocate but without filling their lungs, assuming they weren't crushed by the weight of material first. Your individual DM would have to determine the details based on the conditions.

A 601

A Metamagic Rod of Extend, Lesser (suitable for extending Glitterdust if you cast it) would cost 3,000 gp and allow 3 daily uses. All custom magic items are at the discretion of your individual DM. The DM will decide if such an item can exist, who can create it, and what the cost would be.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

A 599 addition

Although the rules don't specifically say so, assume that a creature using a magical invisibility effect is invisible to others but not to itself. This helps avoid arguments about exactly what an invisible creature can do without a penalty
    From the Rules of the Game Article, "There, not there (Part 1)" http://web.archive.org/web/201305310...d/rg/20040914a
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q 602

Does The Kami's Grace class feature from the Witch hunter Prestige Class Stack with the Paladin's Divine Grace class feature to give you twice your Charisma modifier to your saves?

Neither had mentioned exceptions, like the Crusader's Indomitable Soul.
    Neither mentioned a type for the bonus.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 602 Yes.

As untyped bonuses from different sources (different named abilities) these stack.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVII

Q 603

Libris Mortis has some variations on existing Undead, include a Lich variant called Lichfiend. Its says "CR Adjustment: +0" - is this as well as the normal Lich CR of +2 (for a total of +2), or in place of it (for a total of +0)?

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

A 603 In addition.

Every variant undead in Libris Mortis lists a change in challenge rating to use when applying that variant to the base undead. For instance, the savage vampire gains claws instead of slams, negative levels on every hit instead of dominate, and slightly different stat mods (including +4 higher strength). Its listed CR adjustment is +0. This is not because a hobgoblin swordsage 6 vampire with 2 claw attacks, +10 strength, and negative levels on hit is the same toughness as a hobgoblin swordsage 6. Rather, it's the same general challenge as that hobgoblin with +6 strength, a slam attack, and at-will domination. Both beat out a hobgoblin with no damage reduction, fast healing, swarm summoning, alternate form, +6 natural armor, etc.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

A 603?

...so, how exactly does that relate to my question? If I understand you correctly, then the Lichfiend is CR +2?

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 603?

Yes, it would +2 +0, for a total of +2

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 604

Lesser Celerity gives an instant move action then dazes you until end of your next turn, does it mean it costs me 2 full rounds?

Q 605

Can a wizard copy a high level arcane scroll (which he cant cast yet) to his spell book with a spellcraft check?
    Last edited by _felagund; 2014-08-04 at 10:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 604

Depends. An immediate action can be used at any time (but only once per round, as it eats your next turn's Swift Action)

So yes, if you use it during you turn and in the beginning of it, you would indeed be dazed for 2 rounds, but usually people save it for when it's not their turn or for when they've already used up the other actions in the current turn.(so it only costs them the next round)
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-08-04 at 10:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 605 Yes.

The spell could be inscribed successfully in their book, but wouldn't be one of the Wizard's known spells.
    known spell

A spell that an arcane spellcaster has learned and can prepare. For wizards, knowing a spell means having it in their spellbooks. For sorcerers and bards, knowing a spell means having selected it when acquiring new spells as a benefit of level advancement.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 606

Are rounds and turns synonyms? If not, what's the difference

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

A 606

No they are distinct terms. A turn is the time where one character gets to take his actions. A round is the time where all characters participating in an encounter get one turn in order of their initiative.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 607
    A 7th level human ranger has 21234 XP. He a acquires a template with +2LA. Does that change his total XP?
    Q 607 and a half
    How much XP does he need to become ranger 8th?

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 607

No, although his ECL (Effective Character Level) is now 9

A 607 and a half

The same amount needed for a character to reach lv 10.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q 608

Does a Marshal's Motivate Charisma Aura Apply to turning Checks?

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Firbolg in the Playground

A 608: Yes. Consider the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Miniatures Handbook, pg 13
    Motivate Charisma: Bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Turn/Rebuke Undead
    The first thing you do is roll a turning check to see how powerful an undead creature you can turn. This is a Charisma check...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Q609

Is there a way (an appropriate knowledge check perhaps) that a character can figure out the approximate HD of a particular foe? (I'm especially interested in the answer for undead foes, but would be interested in a more generic answer as well.)
    Last edited by Eliana Solange; 2014-08-04 at 09:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 609 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge
    In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster.

For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information.
    If you succeed at the appropriate Knowledge check, count the number of pieces of information the DM tells you about the creature. Subtract 10 from your check result (the overhead), and 5 more for every piece of information after the first. You'll know the HD will be 0-4 lower than this result, so that's the level of accuracy of the approximation; you might subtract 2 to have a "best guess" HD figure (up to 2 HD higher or lower).

As an example, say your Knowledge (religion) check is 33, and the DM tells you 3 pieces of information about the creature. The calculation above would give 13 (33 -10 -(5x2)), and you'd know the Undead creature was in the 9-13 HD range, with a "best guess" of 11 HD.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-08-04 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added example

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 609 Yes. If you succeed at the appropriate Knowledge check, count the number of pieces of information the DM tells you about the creature. Subtract 10 from your check result (the overhead), and 5 more for every piece of information after the first. You'll know the HD will be 0-4 lower than this result, so that's the level of accuracy of the approximation; you might subtract 2 to have a "best guess" HD figure (up to 2 HD higher or lower).

As an example, say your Knowledge (religion) check is 33, and the DM tells you 3 pieces of information about the creature. The calculation above would give 13 (33 -10 -(5x2)), and you'd know the Undead creature was in the 9-13 HD range, with a "best guess" of 11 HD.
    Clever, but we're not really big on metagaming. (Also I don't think the DM follows that rule precisely enough to count on.) Is there any legitimate in-game way to determine the approximate "level" of a foe?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The rule in complete arcane on multiple attacks with a weapon like spell say

"Some weaponlike spells can strike multiple times in the same round. When the caster gets a bonus on damage with such spells(including sneak attack damage), the extra damage only applies to the first attack whether that attack hits or not."

Which means if you are using the invocation eldritch glaive that you can only get sneak attack damage on the first attack. Was this rule updated anywhere else or is this still currently true?

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 610

I have a LOT of questions regarding the harpoon, from stormwrack. Feel free to answer with simple yes/no to each.

If a creature is hit by one character with multiple harpoons and fails its saves, which of the following holds true:

a) the speed penalty imposed by being harpooned do not stack (e.g no quarter speed for two harpoons)
    b) the speed penalty applies even if the trailing rope isn't being controlled
    c) each harpoon requires its own full-round action to remove
    d) to move beyond the range of the trailing rope, the harpooned creature must make 1 opposed check per harpoon
    e) controlling a trailing rope takes one hand and as such a character can not make off-hand attacks while controlling the rope
    f) controlling a trailing rope takes two hands and as such a character can not attack with his hands while controlling the trailing rope
    g) once the creature succeeds on a strength check to move beyond 30 ft, the trailing rope is dropped and can be picked back up from within 30 feet of the creature as a move action to resume control of it
    h) if the creature removes the harpoon, the harpoon can be retrieved from a distance via the trailing rope as a move action
    i) the trailing rope can not be passed on to an adjacent ally lest that ally has readied an action to take it
    j) taking the trailing rope from another creature requires a disarm check or a Sleight of Hand check that the creature holding the rope can choose to fail it's opposed roll to

... I think that's everything
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource