New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q 281 Is making requests part of the 'Improve the attitude' of the diplomacy skill or is it separate? This is in regards to the new Orator feat in the Advanced Class Guide

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 282

What happens when you try to grapple a creature that is already grappled by the sticky fibers of a web spell? Is there a chance that you will become grappled by the web? The spell states that "Attacking a creature in a web doesn't cause you to become grappled", but does that include grappling a creature in a web?

Suppose you successfully grapple the webbed creature - does that creature then suffer double the grappling penalties? If the creature wants to break free, would it have to break your grapple and the web's grapple separately, meaning that it couldn't accomplish this in a single round?

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q 283

Are there any rules for Animal Companions at epic levels (over 20)?

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

A281
    It is a separate check.

If a creature’s attitude toward you is at least indifferent, you can make requests of the creature. This is an additional Diplomacy check, using the creature’s current attitude to determine the base DC, with one of the following modifiers. Once a creature’s attitude has shifted to helpful, the creature gives in to most requests without a check, unless the request is against its nature or puts it in serious peril. Some requests automatically fail if the request goes against the creature’s values or its nature, subject to GM discretion.
    A282
    There is no risk of falling in the web, as grabbers must be adjacent to each other, but are not in the same square. This falls indeed under "safely attacking the other square."

The odd thing is how grappling interacts with web. In general the rules don't allow multiple people grapple the same person. At best a second person can assist person in a grapple and these rules are already poorly defined. Simple questions as "is the assist grappler also grappled?" are not answered.
    Multiple Creatures

Multiple creatures can attempt to grapple one target. The creature that first initiates the grapple is the only one that makes a check, with a +2 bonus for each creature that assists in the grapple (using the Aid Another action). Multiple creatures can also assist another creature in breaking free from a grapple, with each creature that assists (using the Aid Another action) granting a +2 bonus on the grappled creature's combat maneuver check.
    But then again this all references to creatures, not objects that happen grapple. Still this shows only one grapple condition can happen at a time, so grappling someone in a web shouldn't lead to that person needing to break out of 2 different grapples. The best RAW(like) conclusion is that if you grapple someone in a web, you give the web a +2 on its grapple DC.

A283
    There aren't any real epic rules for anything in pathfinder. At best you use the 3.5 rules or just make your own rules. The table of animal companions does follow an pattern, you could easily just increase it to whatever level you need.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

5. - Top - End - #635
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q284

What level would a monk need to be to pose a large threat to a level 6 party comprised of a wizard, a factotum and a ranger?
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

A284 Heavily depends on the optimization the Wizard has done. Spells like Haste, Mirror Image or even just Magic Missile pose a huge threat while a Fireball or even Scorching Rays are laughed at if optimized for it. I'd say minimum 8th level with understudies (3rd-4th level) to improve your action economy.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q285

Pretty sure the answer is no, but... Is there any way to take Revelations from Mysteries other than your own as an Oracle? Dark Tapestry runs out of cool mysteries unfortunately fast.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Spamalot in the Playground

A285: In fact there is - you simply need a Ring of Revelation for the mystery you're interested in, and you'll need to UMD it to fool it into thinking you have that particular mystery. This is a way to, for example, get the Life Oracle's channel energy onto another Oracle.

You can also go Dual-Cursed Oracle - while this will not give you the revelations of a second mystery to choose from, it does give you access to two additional excellent revelations in case the ones from your chosen mystery are lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Q286 Does the Fast Learner feat allows a human magus to get the 1/6 new Arcana FCB and the +1 SP/HP at the same time?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

A286
    Nope.

Benefit: When you gain a level in a favored class, you gain both +1 hit point and +1 skill rank, instead of choosing either one or the other benefit, or you can choose an alternate class reward.
    Bolded comma's are mine, but a couple of comma's does allow for easier reading.

The feat offers:
    1 hp and 1 skill point per level (instead of choosing or other benefits)
    An alternate class reward

Sadly no mixing of class rewards and hp or skill points.
    This also makes toughness the better feat. (As toughness allows 1 hp and 1 skill or 1 hp and 1 alternate class reward or 2 hp per level.)

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

I couldn't get a straight answer in another thread about crafting staves so I'm asking again here. Disclaimer: Obviously DM approval is required for any custom staff. Given that...

Q 287 Is there any particular reason you couldn't have both wizard and cleric spells in the same staff, especially following a similar theme? The example given was a Staff of Force: Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Spiritual Weapon, Wall of Force (2 chgs). I have never seen it explicitly ruled out but I also don't think I've seen any listed staves that do this which implies it may be a no-no. I did get some feedback on this but I'm curious of a RAW answer.

Q 288 Is there a potential loophole in staff crafting that could make them easier and sometimes cheaper to make if you add new spells over time instead of doing it all at once? Example: If I make the above staff with just Magic Missile and Mage Armor because I'm too poor and then later I want to add Spiritual Weapon, the time it takes to improve it is based on the difference in total price. That means I don't have to cast the spell for as many days as if I'd created the entire thing at once and if I'm using scrolls or a wand to meet that spell prereq, that could be a significant cost savings. It means casting Spiritual Hammer for 5 days instead of 11, which is DRAMATICALLY cheaper than doing the whole staff all at once with Wall of Force which would mean 36 days of casting every spell in the staff.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-09-07 at 03:41 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

12. - Top - End - #642
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q289
    If I get Dex to damage instead of Strength, such as with Mythic Weapon Finesse, do I still do half my Dex damage on my off-hand weapon? And do I get 1.5 times my Dex to damage with a two-handed weapon like an elven curve blade or spiked chain?
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. Re: 287 and 288, it's going on 2 days now. Did I stump GitP?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

Q290
    (pretty sure I haven't asked this before) Can the forms obtained from the Bat Shape and Dire Bat Shape be used at will/an infinite number of times per day, or is it limited by the Skinwalker's daily uses of their Change Shape ability?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

@Dalebert
    I am too lazy to read all of that and it reeks of not being a simple question. Magic item crafting isn't my forte either.

A289
    Yes, but I wish I had a clear source.

The logic being that you replace strength with dexterity. So if something says you gain 1.5x your strength, you just replace the words, and now you gain 1.5x dexterity. But it's not very clear as it stands written.

A290
    They are different types of abilities and use a different resource pool. Because batshape has no limit noted, we can safely assume it's at will/unlimited.
    Bat Shapes functions as Beastshape II and is in no way similarly to change shape. In fact it seems to function as a SLA. In contrast Change Shape is a SU.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

16. - Top - End - #646

A287: While a staff could theoretically contain both types of spells, the spell trigger activation methods requires the corresponding spell to be on your list. So a wizard using your combination staff would only have access to the wizard spells in it, and a cleric would only have access to the cleric spells etc.

Spell trigger items can be used by anyone whose class can cast the corresponding spell.
    A288: Improving items that are already created would fall under the custom item rules and thus be a DM call as far as pricing. Speaking personally I would not want a player bypassing the costing rules for a discount but others might be okay with it. Either way there is no strict RAW answer to this one.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Q291: With regards to Pummeling Style and Punishing Kick, can I use those at the exact same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

18. - Top - End - #648

A291: Unfortunately it's not clear - there have been issues with Punishing Kick and limbs/weapons/ranged attackss since it was printed, and they haven't yet been addressed AFAIK.
    Action-wise, you're in the clear though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome. Now I can really go Captain Falcon on people.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

A291 opinion I don't see why this shouldn't be working. It makes for epic visuals (even if you don't use the cheesy Falcon Pawnch fluff).
    Last edited by Spore; 2014-09-09 at 07:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    A291 opinion I don't see why this shouldn't be working. It makes for epic visuals (even if you don't use the cheesy Falcon Pawnch fluff).
    The argument against boils down to the fact that Pummeling Style is described as a punch. This is causing a number of issues with other weapons, feats and attack types as well.

Not that Punishing Kick is greatly worded either; as I alluded to above, it technically could be used with a bow.

Personally I have no problem combining the two feats in question.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #652
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q292

Swarm Attack: creatures with the swarm subtype don’t make standard melee attacks. Instead, they deal automatic damage to any creature whose space they occupy at the end of their move, with no attack roll needed.

Does this mean a swarm can move, deal damage as a free action and then take a standard action or does it mean a swarm still needs a standard action to attack just not rolling an attack?

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

A 292 I think the question is usually irrelevant because the swarm is usually effectively mindless. They usually don't ever do anything except move and deal damage. They do, however, mention hive mind ones with an intelligence score. If they're capable of some (non-melee-attack) standard action, I don't see why they couldn't take it on top of dealing damage automatically. The implication, of course, is that most swarms will always be able to make a full move every round, assuming there are no other actions it can take.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-09-10 at 05:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q293

Carrion Compass seems like a good spell for expediting investigation games and tracking necromancers, but it needs a bit of clarification.

Does the 'donor' have to be a fleshy undead, or can it work on skeletons, too?

Do I have to manually extract the organ, or will the spell just rip it out for me?

And most important of all, the spell ends if the donor undead is destroyed. What is he doing in the meantime while we are chasing after his desiccated eyeball? Still trying to gnaw on our brains? Will we need to constantly bat him away but try not to damage him too much, or can we trap him under a rock or something and come back for him later?

25. - Top - End - #655

What a weird spell.

A293a: While you can certainly target any undead creature, it seems that the spell won't do anything if you target one with no organs, like a skeleton or shadow.

A293b: The spell will rip it out for you.

A293c: Yes, as weird as it sounds, you will likely have to keep the undead aliv- er, around in some way without kill- er, destroying it. This isn't too hard though, at least with the mindless ones - if it's a zombie you can simply tie it up for instance. You can even bring it along if you need to cast the spell again.

With more dangerous undead like wights and vampires, you may have to resort to more exotic restraints.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q294
    "Fiendish Sorcery: Tiefling sorcerers with the Abyssal or Infernal bloodlines treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer class abilities." Does "all sorcerer class abilities" include spells, gaining more spells per day and higher save DCs, or does it only apply to bloodline powers?
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

27. - Top - End - #657

A294: It applies to every class feature. Basically it's meant to cancel out the Tiefling Cha penalty.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Q295a Is the damage from Channelling Force multiplied on a Charge?
    Q295b
    How about a Critical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #659

A295a clarification: Charges don't usually multiply your damage; they just let you double-move and attack with a bonus to hit. Do you mean with a Lance?
    A295b: Yes, like all static (i.e. non-dice) bonuse, this is multiplied on a crit.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A295a clarification: Charges don't usually multiply your damage; they just let you double-move and attack with a bonus to hit. Do you mean with a Lance?
    Yes, thank you. I did mean the whole mounted charge fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    A295b: Yes, like all static (i.e. non-dice) bonuse, this is multiplied on a crit.
    Sweeet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding