New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1875
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A777: This one's tricky and ultimately depends on how the DM wants it to play out. It can depend on the move action the creature/DM declared it was taking; if the DM said something like "I'll move the creature up next to you," you smack it back, and it has movement left, it may actually be able to complete this move and try to get next to you again, because while AoOs and readied actions interrupt the normal flow of actions, the victim is actually free to continue whatever they were doing as long as they weren't physically prevented from doing so. But if the DM declared something like "I'll move 20ft. towards you" and it moved 20ft. before getting smacked back, it already did what it said it was going to do and its move would stop there.

The reason for this weirdness is that your Knockback AoO could be treated as no different from readying an action to Bull Rush the target; the only difference is that you get to use an AoO to do it instead of readying a standard action. Basically it's up to the DM as these sorts of cases are always going to be kind of niche. Here's the rules on AoOs, Readying and continuing the turn:

An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character's turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character's turn).
    If the triggered action is part of another character's activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action.
    A778: Yes and yes, CMB checks are attack rolls and so Reckless Abandon's bonus and Power Attack's penalties will apply to any CMB checks you make while those are active.

A779: Yes, maneuver master monks get to ignore the prereqs for whichever "Improved X" maneuver feat they select, provided you find a way to combine it with barbarian. (One way to get a lawful-aligned "rager" is to use the Ranger's "Wild Stalker" archetype, which gets rage and rage powers without alignment restrictions.)

A780: Yes, a rock is pretty much the definitive improvised weapon the range increment is 10ft., and the damage would depend on the size and shape of the rock (i.e. find a similar weapon on the table, like a shuriken or sling bullet.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q781:
    I can use intimidate to make target friendly to me. But to ask him do something for me I must use diplomacy or I can still use Intimidate to force him do something?

Q782:
    I asked before about weapon focus and improvised weapon (I cant take it cuz I am not proficient) but can I take weapon focus on crossbow and using him as improvised weapon (Just use it like a club)and use damage from sacred weapon?

3. - Top - End - #1443

A781: It depends on what you ask him to do. "Actions that do not endanger it" or "limited assistance" are both covered without the need for additional skill checks.

A782: No - none of your feats, abilities, or weapon enhancements that apply to a weapon's normal use will apply if you are improvising with it. (However, any feats or techniques you have for improvised weapons specifically will work.) Relevant FAQ
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q783

Can you take feats for one class while leveling a diffrent one?

example: level 10 Investigator, takes a level in monk. Can he grab the feat "Extra Investigator Talent" when he levels in monk?

5. - Top - End - #1445

A783: Generally yes; all that matters when selecting a feat is whether your character qualifies for it or not. Even if a feat is aimed at class X and you are now multiclassing into class Y when you decide to take it, or if it requires ranks in skill X which you invested in previously and are now putting ranks into skill Y etc. - as long as your existing characteristics allow you to qualify for that feat you can take it. "Extra Investigator Talent" simply requires the "investigator talent" class feature, which you got at Investigator 3, therefore you will still meet that requirement just fine at Investigator 10.

Note however that the specific talent you are picking up with this feat may have requirements of its own that you must meet. In your example you only have 10 levels of investigator, so you won't be eligible for talents that require more than that, such as Hidden Agendas (requires Investigator 11) or Blinding Strike (requires Investigator 17.)

edit:typo
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-29 at 11:10 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Q 784 Does it require an action to activate an alchemist discovery, in particular Wings?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ettin in the Playground

A 784 Wings appear to be always there, it's just that you can only use them for a limited amount of time per day, so I don't think it requires an action to start your minute of flying. If they grew in so you could fly, that might be different.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Banned

Q 785
    Can you please help me to calculate the correct CR of the encounters, if multiple monsters are involved? For example, there is a boss with CR rating of 4, and 3 monsters with a CR of 2. What will be the total CR of the encounter in this case? Also, would be helpful if you could explain me how CR is calculated, if there are multiple monsters involved?

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Halfling in the Playground

A 785
    You just need to sum the XP value of each creature and check in the "Table: Experience Point Awards" to see what CR match the XP total.

In the simple case where the multiple creatures are all the same CR, each time you multiply by 2 the number of creatures, you increase the CR by 2

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 786

You are allowed to take a 5 foot step during a readied action if you have not already moved in that round. Do you need to declare the intent to take the 5 foot step as part of the action or can it be done on the fly?

11. - Top - End - #1451

A786: As written you don't have to declare the step ahead of time, because you can always choose to take it "as part of" the action you did declare. Thus it is not a separate action.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Halfling in the Playground

Q787: I need Ability Score Bonuses(Permanent and Temporary) explained to me.
    Specific questions are:
    Do Permanent bonuses add to your stats forever? Think of the idea as absorbing or copying the stats of a magic item from bonding with it.
    From what I understand, Temp Bonuses don't factor in when qualifying for prereqs on feats, classes, etc, but perma do. is this correct?
    other than these matters, any further info could be appreciated. I've attempted to google but I can't tell which speculations are accurate.
    Last edited by HyperDunkBarkly; 2015-01-30 at 09:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ettin in the Playground

A 787 Permanent bonuses from like a belt or headband are only on as long as you wear them. If you take them off, the bonuses go with them. Really, it's only permanent in that there isn't a set duration to them so they're eternally provided by the item.
    The cutoff for when they apply for prereqs and such is after you've had the bonus for 24 hours, which you could consider the adjustment phase to having this enhanced ability. If you remove the item after that, you still lose the bonus and have to go through that time period before it counts with your score.
    The only bonuses that truly stick around forever are from race, class abilities and inherent bonuses, which come from Wishes and magic tomes that emulate that specific use of Wish.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 788: I know that an illusory fire generally won't deal fire damage (unless you're imitating a spell through shadow evocation or something). Even so, several illusion spells (like major image) specifically reference thermal illusions. Would an illusion of a bonfire created with this type of spell actually keep someone warm or would the person merely think that they are being warmed?
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 789

If a human were to pay a high level wizard to "Polymorph Any Object" transform him into a Blood Lion (Same kingdom, class & intelligence level - yielding a permanent transformation), he end up with a permanent +6 size bonus to STR and Natural Armor, +2 size bonus to CON, +1 size bonus to CMB & CMD and a -2 size penalty to DEX.

Can that polymorphed human then put on a Hat of Disguise to appear as an average looking half-elf while maintaining the bonuses and abilities gained by the polymorph/beast shape IV spell (natural attacks, pounce, dark vision, fly 60(good), deafening roar, and bone spikes)?

The polymorph spell never changes the creature's type, so he is still a humanoid of the human subtype.
    The hat uses disguise self, and therefore "You cannot change your creature type (although you can appear as another subtype)"
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

16. - Top - End - #1456

A788: The answers are likely "not warm enough to cause fire damage" and "not warm enough to protect you from cold damage," since the spell can't do those things. Other than that this is a DM call.

EDIT to add: "Figments and glamers cannot cause damage to objects or creatures, support weight, provide nutrition, or provide protection from the elements."

A789: PAO not changing your type is debatable. Unlike the other polymorph spells, PAO does change you into that exact creature. thus you should gain its type. If instead you're using it to duplicate Beast Shape IV, the duration factors won't apply (as those are for the first half of the spell, not the "duplicate X" second half) and it won't be permanent.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-02-01 at 05:57 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Orc in the Playground

Q780

Can you move the area of a image spell while concentrating, or is the area set when you cast the spell? If possible, cite why you say it's one or the other.

18. - Top - End - #1458

A780: The area is effectively your canvas, which is set at the time of casting. Your image can fill this area, or be smaller and move around within it.

Source:

Aiming a Spell

You must make choices about whom a spell is to affect or where an effect is to originate, depending on a spell's type. The next entry in a spell description defines the spell's target (or targets), its effect, or its area, as appropriate.
    Effect

Some spells create or summon things rather than affecting things that are already present.

You must designate the location where these things are to appear, either by seeing it or defining it. Range determines how far away an effect can appear, but if the effect is mobile, after it appears it can move regardless of the spell's range.
    Other

A spell can have a unique area, as defined in its description.

(S) Shapeable

If an area or effect entry ends with “(S),” you can shape the spell. a shaped effect or area can have no dimension smaller than 10 feet. Many effects or areas are given as cubes to make it easy to model irregular shapes. Three-dimensional volumes are most often needed to define aerial or underwater effects and areas.
    As the quote above indicates, Spells with an "effect" line must have the location for that effect designated before the effect itself appears. Thus, any aiming or shaping you do must be done ahead of time, though again once you do so the image can move about freely within this if it is smaller than the total size of the spell itself.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q781.

Enemy has a Su/Ex aura that makes you roll Ref and if you fail you get entangled. Enemy rolls Trip and you fall prone.

Is it possible to stand up?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

20. - Top - End - #1460

A781: As the aura in question would be anchored to a creature rather than an immobile object, the entangled condition it imposes would not prevent the affected creature from moving. Thus they could stand, crawl, and perform some other movements (e.g. somatic components.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Q782 Can you use items as prerequisites for a feat or prestige class? E.g. if a prestige class requires evasion, can you qualify by wearing a Ring of Evasion? If a feat requires 3d6 channel energy, can you qualify with one level of cleric and a Phylactery of Positive Channeling?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

22. - Top - End - #1462

A782: PF doesn't have definitive rules on this yet, so it's a DM call. It will depend primarily on the wording of the item in question and the thing you're qualifying for; for instance, If something says "evasion class feature" as a requirement, Ring of Evasion won't cut it because that doesn't give you the evasion class feature. I would however allow the phylactery one, since channel feats only require that you have a given d6 worth of channel.

For the channeling feats in particular however, the phylactery should not help you qualify for feats that require the opposite flavor of channeling, i.e. positive for negative (e.g. PoPC should not help you pick up Channel Viciousness early.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q783:
    In the Monster Codex is a feats and description about a lot of races, is in some book bonuses for PC character (Or only in the Advanced Races Guide?)?

24. - Top - End - #1464

Quote Originally Posted by MizuDevil View Post
    Q783:
    In the Monster Codex is a feats and description about a lot of races, is in some book bonuses for PC character (Or only in the Advanced Races Guide?)?
    I'm not totally sure I understand the question, but assuming I'm reading it correctly...

A783: Yes, you can use the feats in Monster Codex to build your PC; many of them are even legal for Pathfinder Society play. If a feat requires a specific race, it will say so in the requirements section (for example, all the Ogre feats require you to be an ogre, while many of the feats in the hobgoblin section like Hurtful are open to anyone.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q783-2:
    Can I find somewhere stats for unusual races (Troll, Bugbear etc.) for PC character?
    I've seen few in Advances Races Guide (Lizardfolk, Ogre, Gnoll) but where find other I dont know (If they are somewhere).

26. - Top - End - #1466

A783b: For monstrous races like that, you either have to use the "Monsters as PCs" guidelines in the Bestiary pg. 313, or use the Race Builder to make something close to what you want that can be played from level 1.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 784
    Suppose a character has a claw attack and martial weapon proficiency. Their base attack bonus is not high enough to get iterative attacks.

Q 784 (a)
    Using a greatsword, can this character make an attack with it, take their claw hand off, and make a claw attack as a full-round action? I read somewhere (I think in an FAQ) that taking your hand off a weapon is a free action, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it in the middle of an attack routine.

Q 784 (b)
    If this character has the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) feat, can they make an attack with the bastard sword (while still gaining one and a half times their strength bonus for using both hands) and then make a claw attack?

Edit: found my answer.

A 784
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Rules, Combat section
    You can make attacks with natural weapons in combination with attacks made with a melee weapon and unarmed strikes, so long as a different limb is used for each attack. For example, you cannot make a claw attack and also use that hand to make attacks with a longsword. When you make additional attacks in this way, all of your natural attacks are treated as secondary natural attacks, using your base attack bonus minus 5 and adding only 1/2 of your Strength modifier on damage rolls. Feats such as Two-Weapon Fighting and Multiattack can reduce these penalties.
    A 784 (a)
    No, because a hand making a claw attack cannot also be used in a manufactured weapon attack.

A 784 (b)
    The character can only make a weapon attack with a one-handed manufactured weapon if they also want to make a claw attack in the same round. They can make a two-handed weapon attack, but to do so they must not use their claw attack.
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2015-02-02 at 05:35 PM.
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q785
    Can you crit on a CMB?
    A snake with grab does constrict damage. So I need to know if the CMB check can lead to crit damage.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does animal aspect (the hunter class feature) and Wildshape stack? I can't find anything that says animal aspect is a poly,orph effect or anything so I feel like it should.

30. - Top - End - #1470

A785: Yes - CMB rolls are attack rolls, and "Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2." Rolling a natural 20 on your CMB check is also an auto-success at whatever maneuver you were attempting.

A786: Yes, they stack - polymorph bonuses are size bonuses, while animal aspects are enhancement. (Note that the aspects won't stack with common stat-boosting gear, like a belt of physical might.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy