New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: So I've made the ultimate Anti-Mage???

Quote Originally Posted by thedmring View Post
    That should be a given since it says round that it means round.
    Is a year one or more months? If so, a minute/hour/day is on or more rounds. If not, where are you living?
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

BTW If Adriana didn't know that concentration spells were indefinite then that shows her lack of experience, thus invalidating her argument anyways.
    So I had a brain fart and forgot about concentration spells and my arguments are null and void? Wow! I'm so glad you've never made a mistake. Oh wait here you were wrong about being able to widen an anti-magic field. I guess this makes all your arguments invalid.

Sorry if I'm coming across rude here but...

Any rate I've stated my point on this and I pretty much agree with Eggy on this one. Sorry for the hijack.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    It's the in-game definition for the outsider type. You said the outsider type isn't defined, and that defines it.
    Honestly I'm even happier to accept that as it creates a necessity, if we want consistent logic, to also accept that the condition summary lists are our list of conditions. Otherwise we're just cherry picking what we accept as a definition and what we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    That establishes the Outsider Type, or "tag" as you like calling it. What you are doing is creating a "condition" tag where none exists and comparing it to the Outsider type, which does exist. You know if something is an outsider because it will possess the Outsider tag.
    And we know something is a condition when it's called out as one, as things are in the game. Maybe this is a better question, what's the point of the condition list if not to list conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    The game absolutely defines outsider. First, the game defines type, and does so in several places, including the PHB, and the monster manual, and defines outsider as one of those types. Further, the game gives certain meanings to type, and grants special importance to the type-line to establish a creature's type. Finally, the game says that outsiders have the following features, and then lists some. Does your human's type bestow that list of properties? No, so it's not an outsider, though it's an even more true thing because the creature just doesn't have the type within the rules. A word doesn't have to be defined in the glossary to be defined in game.
    So you're moving the goal post? We know conditions are in the game don't we, just as types and outsiders are? Heck, you've even been using that whole "negative" element of conditions as a basis for argument. How can conditions have a "negative" element if it's not defined? This is just cherry picking what you want to accept as a definition.

Except, and here's the problem, this is just a bunch of stuff you're making up. There is no condition tag, and the game puts no apparent special importance on these listed conditions. IHS nowhere indicates that it specifically refers to this sort of condition, and hell, it doesn't even imply it. Your argument here seems a whole lot like a house rule to me.
    Sure, by way of analogy I'm making up the notion of tag as a way to demonstrate a point. I'll repeat my question from earlier, what's the point of the condition list other than to establish conditions? Keep in mind it's already accepted there can be other conditions than those listed.

The fact that the word is used that way elsewhere in the book holds almost no implications about the word's usage as applies to IHS.
    That's a load a bunk, consistent usage and application is why language works, you know this. If the book isn't using it in a manner that's supporting your position then maybe the problems with the position. You're claiming special status for one application only.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    If there is a rules of the game, I think Curmudgeon has a higher pedigree than anyone else in this thread.
    Now that's probably the truest statement of the thread concerning rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Shhh. I was enjoying that delusion.
    Dexter, no! It's not real!

In that instance, you are wrong eggy. Curmudgeon's view is expressly only in favour of effects with a listing of 1 round or more, not 1 hour or more, or 1 day or more.

If there is a rules of the game, I think Curmudgeon has a higher pedigree than anyone else in this thread.
    I'll point out that this is a fallacy of authority or whatever.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-24 at 06:01 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

No, not at all. Someone being mistaken about one thing doesn't make their other arguments magically wrong. It, in fact, has no bearing whatsoever.
    of course you would say that about someone agreeing with your side of the argument.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    And we know something is a condition when it's called out as one, as things are in the game. Maybe this is a better question, what's the point of the condition list if not to list conditions?
    There is none. However, that doesn't mean that the point is to list all conditions.

So you're moving the goal post? We know conditions are in the game don't we, just as types and outsiders are? Heck, you've even been using that whole "negative" element of conditions as a basis for argument. How can conditions have a "negative" element if it's not defined? This is just cherry picking what you want to accept as a definition.
    The goalposts are completely unmoved. The game absolutely defines the outsider type in the text, by saying, "An outsider is these things." It doesn't define condition at all. If the game said, "These are what a condition is," then that would be a different matter, but the game never says of conditions what it says of outsiders. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that when they make a rule that has to do with outsiders, they typically define what sort of outsider they're talking about right in the text. For reference, see the monk's perfect self ability, which says that they mean the extraplanar creature, rapidstrike, which explicitly calls for the outsider type, and as the frost, which also specifies that it's working with the creature type.

Sure, by way of analogy I'm making up the notion of tag as a way to demonstrate a point. I'll repeat my question from earlier, what's the point of the condition list other than to establish conditions? Keep in mind it's already accepted there can be other conditions than those listed.
    As above, so too here, but to give a longer answer, it's right there in the header. The game talks about a lot of conditions, and it does so repeatedly, so they summarized what the conditions do in the back of your handy dandy rulebook. It's probably how I would format things in the same situation.

That's a load a bunk, consistent usage and application is why language works, you know this. If the book isn't using it in a manner that's supporting your position then maybe the problems with the position. You're claiming special status for one application only.
    But it's not used consistently in the book. It's not used consistently in any book, to my knowledge, though I honestly can't say that I've checked. If it were just petrified and this, then that would be one thing, and you'd have the barest sliver of an argument (but not really, because the source of your condition list also has inconsistencies of usage), but it doesn't, and you don't.

Edit:
    of course you would say that about someone agreeing with your side of the argument.
    I'd say it about anyone, anytime, including you. For example, as Adriana points out, you haven't always been correct in rules discussions, and you say problematic things frequently, but I'll never arbitrarily dismiss an argument you make out of hand based on the fact that you've made it. To do so would just be using fallacious logic. The source of an argument doesn't matter at all, even if you might mentally place more weight with someone you tend to agree with, and see being right often. All that matters is the argument's logic, and everything else is just about superfluous.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2015-12-31 at 01:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adriana View Post
    The wording on the spell again makes it simple. "select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds" So if some mage concentrated on x spell for one round or more, that was affecting me, then it would have a duration that would qualify for IHS to work.

Seems simple to me.
    The "spell" part is simple. that generic "effect"? not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Is a year one or more months? If so, a minute/hour/day is on or more rounds. If not, where are you living?
    I get the reasoning behind "one hour is longer than one round, so it qualifies", but at what point do we draw a line? do we draw a line at all? because a permanent condition certainly lasts for longer than one round...
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2014-07-24 at 06:33 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Yeah, I almost never make use of effect when I do these arguments, and I pretty much always end up regretting it when I do.

Plus, I get the reasoning behind "one hour is longer than one round, so it qualifies", but at what point do we draw a line? do we draw a line at all? because a permanent condition certainly lasts for longer than one round...
    Probably nowhere, though instantaneous seems like it obviously wouldn't work. However, at that point you just switch to one of the other modes, and get rid of the thing anyway.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    yeah I probably could have used a better example.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

, rapidstrike, which explicitly calls for the outsider type,
    Back on my phone so a long response will have to wait, but where is the above coming from?
    http://dndtools.eu/feats/draconomico...dstrike--3227/
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Back on my phone so a long response will have to wait, but where is the above coming from?
    http://dndtools.eu/feats/draconomico...dstrike--3227/
    Nah, that was a mistake, though still a mistake that makes the same point, as the prerequisite specifies that it's referring to type. It's still reasonably indicative overall of the game's tendency to clarify where this is concerned.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adriana View Post
    my final comment on this is Occam's razor "With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one."
    Point of order, that's not what Occam's razor actually says. That's the flanderized theme park version.

What Occam's razor actually says is that if you're given several hypothesis to test, you start testing the simplest one first because it's the easiest one to test and falsify. More complex hypothesis may still be true.
    Or if you're going to elaborate an hypothesis, make as few assumption as possible.

Occam's razor does not, and I can't state this emphaticly enough, say that the simplest things are usualy right.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, that was a mistake, though still a mistake that makes the same point, as the prerequisite specifies that it's referring to type. It's still reasonably indicative overall of the game's tendency to clarify where this is concerned.
    700 dysfunctions and counting and you think the game tends to clarify? A bold stance indeed

14. - Top - End - #374
    Bugbear in the Playground

700 dysfunctions and counting and you think the game tends to clarify? A bold stance indeed
    Clarifications are like fossils.

The more fossils you have, the more missing links there are. You have a missing link between fish and lizard, you find a fossil to put in that spot, suddenly you have two missing links, between fish and fossil and fossil and lizard.

Clarification are the same, the more you have, the more you need. Because each clarification must be clarified in reguard to everything else.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I think that the game often clarifies what you're dealing with when it's working with words that also have standard definitions, yes. Not always, but often. I'd be interested in seeing some cases where outsider is used in a manner that's ambiguous about what is being referred to, particularly as applies to rule creating text, however. Even where it's not perfectly indicated, the meaning is often made clear by context.

For example, just reading through spells with outsider in their text, affliction surrounds evil outsider with evil undead and evil elemental, anarchic rain specifies that we're dealing with creatures, and lawful ones at that, animate with the spirit also specifies alignment in that manner, and lists an example creature, and so on. These references are often imperfect, and leave open some theoretical room for ambiguity, but they at least provide some sort of context, and again, outsider is actually a game defined term, so that context is far less required.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

I think that the game often clarifies what you're dealing with when it's working with words that also have standard definitions, yes. Not always, but often. I'd be interested in seeing some cases where outsider is used in a manner that's ambiguous about what is being referred to, particularly as applies to rule creating text, however. Even where it's not perfectly indicated, the meaning is often made clear by context.

For example, just reading through spells with outsider in their text, affliction surrounds evil outsider with evil undead and evil elemental, anarchic rain specifies that we're dealing with creatures, and lawful ones at that, animate with the spirit also specifies alignment in that manner, and lists an example creature, and so on. These references are often imperfect, and leave open some theoretical room for ambiguity, but they at least provide some sort of context, and again, outsider is actually a game defined term, so that context is far less required.
    Kinda like how we can tell from context IHS doesn't consider the sun a condition? Or from context when its talking about a game Condition and simply using the word condition? Context doesn't give you a leg to stand on here if were universally applying it. You have a list of things called conditions right? Go ahead and compare other uses of condition to the things on that list, are the similar? I don't see anything resembling lighting on the list so I should know from context that's not a condition in the sense of what the game considers a Condition right?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    So? It doesn't have to.
    A definition is can be compliated and misinterpreted. A list is simple and can be expanded on. I think that's why they went with that. Of course, how could they know that by doing it that way they would open it up to silly interpretations.
    So, you claim the list to be a definition of condition, but you admit it is not definitional? I weep for all the logicians that have gone before us. Their efforts were in vain.

Curmudgeon is well versed in the game, exceptionally smart, and usually correct. He is not infallible.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Banned

ClericGirl

Kinda like how we can tell from context IHS doesn't consider the sun a condition? Or from context when its talking about a game Condition and simply using the word condition? Context doesn't give you a leg to stand on here if were universally applying it. You have a list of things called conditions right? Go ahead and compare other uses of condition to the things on that list, are the similar? I don't see anything resembling lighting on the list so I should know from context that's not a condition in the sense of what the game considers a Condition right?
    The exceptions do not define the rule.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    The exceptions do not define the rule.
    Can you please elucidate on how you mean that? Conditions are excluded from being understood by context?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    What Occam's razor actually says is that if you're given several hypothesis to test, you start testing the simplest one first because it's the easiest one to test and falsify. More complex hypothesis may still be true.
    Or if you're going to elaborate an hypothesis, make as few assumption as possible.
    *goes and finds a more complete explanation*

Well! Learn something new every day. (Good, I got today's quota out of the way, I can stop learning things. )
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-07-24 at 01:34 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Curmudgeon is well versed in the game, exceptionally smart, and usually correct. He is not infallible.
    That is true. However, in this respect the wording of IHS supports the 'must be defined in rounds' interpretation.

An effect with a duration of 1 minute is 10 rounds

But an effect that has a duration of 1 or more rounds is an in game defined term and numerous examples. Otherwise, why would they not state '10 rounds/level'.

Of course, a sane DM is unlikely to make that distinction, but what the RAW states is a 'duration' of '1 or more rounds'. Unfortunately that means that you have to take the stupid with the good. Drown Healing for example.

And also, I don't see what will come from rehashing this argument out again. Aside from Monkday, this is possibly the most discussed thing in 3.5. In short a DM will rule in the way that breaks things the least. If a player is relying on IHS for brokenness, then they deserve the inability to use that unless that is what the game is out.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Except there isn't context here. The game just says condition, with absolutely zero indication as to its meaning. Similarly, I can't really see any context for the idea that the sun is or is not a condition, or for any sort of "game condition". Also, as I mentioned, context is a thing that helps, rather than a thing that proves. Outsider is a game defined term, because it's defined in game. Condition just isn't one.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Except there isn't context here. The game just says condition, with absolutely zero indication as to its meaning. Similarly, I can't really see any context for the idea that the sun is or is not a condition, or for any sort of "game condition". Also, as I mentioned, context is a thing that helps, rather than a thing that proves. Outsider is a game defined term, because it's defined in game. Condition just isn't one.
    What?

Here grab the basic rules & legal zip. Open it, one doc is specifically called abilities and conditions. It's the same list were talking about but labeled "Conditions" rather than condition summary.

Does IHS reference conditions? Yes. Is there a list of things called officially conditions? Yes. That sounds like context to me. Were others added later? Sure.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

What?

Here grab the basic rules & legal zip. Open it, one doc is specifically called abilities and conditions. It's the same list were talking about but labeled "Conditions" rather than condition summary.

Does IHS reference conditions? Yes. Is there a list of things called officially conditions? Yes. That sounds like context to me. Were others added later? Sure.
    No, I mean there's no context on the IHS side. The maneuver just says conditions, without indicating anywhere, by context or otherwise, that it's referring to that sort of condition. Context on the condition side is pretty much irrelevant, because obviously the condition side is going to have context for conditions being conditions. I mean, really, does IHS reference conditions? Yes. Is there a thing in the PHB officially called a lighting condition? Yes. That sounds like context to me. It's pretty much equally accurate, because the book in no way calls for one condition over another.

Edit:
    An effect with a duration of 1 minute is 10 rounds

But an effect that has a duration of 1 or more rounds is an in game defined term and numerous examples. Otherwise, why would they not state '10 rounds/level'.
    What they could have otherwise done is completely and utterly irrelevant. They could have written it in terms of half-minutes, or Floogledy shmorts, or whatever they wanted, and that would be entirely their prerogative. It would still be convertible into that rounds duration, and that would still mean a duration of one or more rounds. Their intent is the closest thing to meaningless. I see no real evidence that such a conversion is outside of the rules, and as I've mentioned, IHS makes no claim to requiring a specific method of expressing duration.

And also, I don't see what will come from rehashing this argument out again. Aside from Monkday, this is possibly the most discussed thing in 3.5. In short a DM will rule in the way that breaks things the least. If a player is relying on IHS for brokenness, then they deserve the inability to use that unless that is what the game is out.
    Not really sure, though I do feel like we're making more progress, and like I'm standing on more solid arguing ground, than is usually the case.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-07-24 at 02:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

No, I mean there's no context on the IHS side. The maneuver just says conditions, without indicating anywhere, by context or otherwise, that it's referring to that sort of condition. Context on the condition side is pretty much irrelevant, because obviously the condition side is going to have context for conditions being conditions. I mean, really, does IHS reference conditions? Yes. Is there a thing in the PHB officially called a lighting condition? Yes. That sounds like context to me. It's pretty much equally accurate, because the book in no way calls for one condition over another.
    Is a lighting condition a Condition? It's not on the list so sounds like some context to me! You also provided some evidence regarding how ToB in general treats the use of condition as a word and provides some context there as well. One was in relation to a medusa's gaze attack (a Condition no less), and two were akin to specific v. general applications comparable to contingency providing some context on what IHS could mean. Does the ToB provide some context or reference to other conditions, such as lighting? No? Then we again have context that it's not considered in relation to IHS.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Is a lighting condition a Condition? It's not on the list so sounds like some context to me! You also provided some evidence regarding how ToB in general treats the use of condition as a word and provides some context there as well. One was in relation to a medusa's gaze attack (a Condition no less), and two were akin to specific v. general applications comparable to contingency providing some context on what IHS could mean. Does the ToB provide some context or reference to other conditions, such as lighting? No? Then we again have context that it's not considered in relation to IHS.
    Your only context in the ToB takes place a pile of pages away from IHS, so it's incredibly weak context at best. Definitely not what I was referring to when I talked about things that were fundamentally in the same description as what was being defined, in any case. Really though, as I mentioned, the context element is mostly a side note. What's important is that condition isn't defined at all, in any fashion, and that the word is used in a ton of different ways in the book with the condition summary, some of which are very rules relevant. Context always helps, even the context you mentioned to some extent, but it's just not nearly enough when the rules aren't there to support you.

Also, I really don't see any specific versus general at all in the situation you mention. There is no general rule applied by a specific usage of the word in conjunction with petrification, especially when, as usual, they don't even put down an actual definition for condition, and there is no specific exception put into place by the existence of the use of the word in another place.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2016-09-26 at 02:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Your only context in the ToB takes places a pile of pages away from IHS, so it's incredibly weak context at best. Definitely not what I was referring to when I talked about things that were fundamentally in the same description as what was being defined, in any case. Really though, as I mentioned, the context element is mostly a side note. What's important is that condition isn't defined at all, in any fashion, and that the word is used in a ton of different ways in the book with the condition summary, some of which are very rules relevant. Context always helps, even the context you mentioned to some extent, but it's just not nearly enough when the rules aren't there to support you.

Also, I really don't see any specific versus general at all in the situation you mention. There is no general rule applied by a specific usage of the word in conjunction with petrification, especially when, as usual, they don't even put down an actual definition for condition, and there is no specific exception put into place by the existence of the use of the word in another place.
    Calling something weak is hardly an argument, I think it's very weak that you're conflating the usage of condition but I wouldn't hold that up as an evidence in and of itself to disprove anything.

As to specifics I'm mostly just drawing a distinction between specific application of the word condition, and Condition. I'd call it English v. Term but you don't buy it's a term. Though oddly you did seem to accept to Rubik that lists can be sufficient

Edit: Here's a question, Spell, Effect & Condition. We know spells are defined. Do you believe Effect is defined?
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2014-07-24 at 04:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Calling something weak is hardly an argument, I think it's very weak that you're conflating the usage of condition but I wouldn't hold that up as an evidence in and of itself to disprove anything.
    It's a lot more of an argument when we're working with such circumstantial evidence. The fact that your context is in a whole different section of the book means that it's less meaningful than context that's right in the maneuver, primarily because context is far from an absolute thing. I mean, would you consider it equally valid context that the PHB has lighting conditions in it because the two sets of information are in the same game? Distance matters when dealing with context, because while you can't use distance as evidence in and of itself to disprove anything, you also can't use context of this form, in and of itself, to prove anything
    As to specifics I'm mostly just drawing a distinction between specific application of the word condition, and Condition. I'd call it English v. Term but you don't buy it's a term. Though oddly you did seem to accept to Rubik that lists can be sufficient
    I accept that lists can be sufficient when they're stated to be complete, or when they're lists of qualities. For example, something like: "The creature types are aberration, animal, construct, dragon, elemental, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, outsider, plant, undead, and vermin," is a reasonable definition for what the creature types are in the game, because there's an implication that it's all inclusive. The total list of features on an outsider is, similarly, a reasonable definition of an outsider, as that's really all a definition is, ultimately.

Edit: Here's a question, Spell, Effect & Condition. We know spells are defined. Do you believe Effect is defined?
    I'm not all that sure on that count. Is there any place where they have a definition listed? The main reason I rarely use effect in arguments is that I'm not even sure what it would mean. I guess I could use the first definition in the dictionary, "Something that is produced by an agency or cause," but that just seems wonky. I've heard some folks show some definitions at some point, I think, indicated by some evidence, but I don't really recall it all that well.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2016-09-26 at 02:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw
    Great point, there's also this little list on the srd20: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/conditions.htm
    The Condition Summary Index.

Here's the one trait they all share: These are descriptions how the character is. Lighting conditions aren't there, because those describe how the lighting is.

The character is <condition>.

Answers clearly delineated by the written rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Damaged
    Ability Drained
    Blinded
    Blown Away
    Checked
    Confused
    Cowering
    Dazed
    Dazzled
    Dead
    Deafened
    Disabled
    Dying
    Energy Drained
    Entangled
    Exhausted
    Fascinated
    Fatigued
    Flat-Footed
    Frightened
    Grappling
    Helpless
    Incorporeal
    Invisible
    Knocked Down
    Nauseated
    Panicked
    Paralyzed
    Petrified
    Pinned
    Prone
    Shaken
    Sickened
    Stable
    Staggered
    Stunned
    Turned
    Unconcious

Activating IHS requires the use of a standard action however. Here's where we can do away with some things because it's impossible to activate IHS when under their effect:

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Damaged or Drained to 0
    Confused when the percentile result is anything but 11-20
    Cowering
    Dazed
    Dead
    Dying
    Fascinated
    Flat-Footed
    Frightened
    Helpless
    Nauseated
    Panicked
    Paralyzed
    Petrified
    Stable
    Stunned
    Turned
    Unconcious

After eliminating the ineligible conditions, that leaves possible removal of:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Damaged or Drained to 1 or more
    Blinded
    Blown Away
    Checked
    Confused when the percentile result is 11-20
    Dazzled
    Deafened
    Disabled
    Energy Drained
    Entangled
    Exhausted
    Fatigued
    Grappling
    Incorporeal
    Invisible
    Knocked Down
    Pinned
    Prone
    Shaken
    Sickened
    Staggered

Of course, most of these are almost always a non-round duration. Ability Damage is usually returned at the rate of 1/day, rather than 1/round, so it is ineligible. There are exceptions, but these are usually tied to spells like Shivering Touch (goes away when the spell ends), and can be ended as a spell effecting the target with the duration: 1 round/level.

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack
    I mean, seriously, it's not even called a list of conditions. It's just a summary of various conditions in the book.
    Summary: A brief statement or account of the main points of something.

List: A number of connected items or names written or printed consecutively, typically one below the other.

A list contains less information than a summary. And it can easily be considered a list if you just use your hand to block out any text other than the names of the conditions. Or go to the Condition Summary Index for the list version.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    Summary: A brief statement or account of the main points of something.

List: A number of connected items or names written or printed consecutively, typically one below the other.

A list contains less information than a summary. And it can easily be considered a list if you just use your hand to block out any text other than the names of the conditions. Or go to the Condition Summary Index for the list version.
    You're missing the point. I'm saying that, instead of summary indicating a brief statement or account of the main points of the conditions as a whole, it could indicate that it's a brief statement or account of the main points of the individual conditions. Like, "Here's a summary of dazing for you," instead of, "You want to know what all of the conditions are? Well, here ya go." It's mostly just a different way of looking at the header, rather than a core argument. Like many things, it can be argued for or against without significant impact on anything.