New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The proper name for evil Saints?

This is mostly D&D related, but not necessarily.

Fictional religions have saints, such as Saint Cuthbert of Greyhawk. Saints need not be gods like Saint Cuthbert, but just a part of a religion.

I was thinking about a having an evil temple in my game (D&D) which is named after a saint of the religion and the clergy follows his traditions.
    I find it hard to have him called a "saint", since the spells are exclusively named with unholy names. They even use unholy water, which is called just that!
    And I know that there's Saint Kargoth, but he was an actual saint before his fall.

Does anyone have a good fantasy counterpart for saints? Or should evil saint be called saints? Or do they all need an invidual moniker?
    Last edited by Jon_Dahl; 2014-07-25 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Changed the title

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: How should evil saints be called?

I wouldn't find it unsurprising for them to be called Saints. I mean, bad guys think they're the good guys, right?

Unless they're specifically trying to mess with people and think that's bad and don't care... in which case Saint is a good name for tricking random passerbys.

Of course, if we're looking for a new name, I suppose we could see where Saints got their name from and go from there. Saint comes from the latin word Sanctus. Doing some googling on the latin word for unholy in the sense we're using it returns the words sceleratus and defanatus as the two better choices it seems, as unholy seems to frequently translate into godless and that's clearly not applicable here. (I by no means speak latin, if I'm messing something up feel free to correct me)

From those two I could say...

Scelerate
    Defane
    Selerate
    Defanat

Something along those lines. Defane sounds nicest in my opinion, I could probably see someone being called Defane Brown or Defane John. Selerate Jane also sounds pretty easy to say and functional.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Don't go with Defanat, sounds to much like Definite, which will just confuse people.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I think, in part, you need a definition of what a saint is... what does it MEAN for someone to be a saint, instead of just a priest?

IMO, I think you wind up with something like FRs Chosen... people, not necessarily priests, who embody a fraction of a deity's power. They have powers above and beyond a priest, frequently because the Chosen will have their own skills... they advanced to X level as a whatever, then got their Chosen powers.

If you go that route, you've pretty well got your answer... "Chosen of X". You can have Saint Cadderly of Deneir, or Cadderly, Chosen of Deneir, and they're pretty much interchangeable.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Interdicient", or some other variant of Interdictus.

Sanctus is ultimately derived from Sanctio, which means "sanction". If you take that to mean "sanction in the sense of approval", then I would consider "interdict" to be the opposite.

"Pest" is another Latin-derived word that works, surprisingly. It comes from Pestis, which is a curse. There are other words for curse that sound cooler, but that's the one I remember. Mosquitoes are curses. They help remember Pestis.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

St. Cuthbert is Lawful Neutral(sometimes, depending on what book or magazine you're looking at), so I'd assume Saint would work fine for any alignment at a push. Defane and Selerate sound awesome though.
    Last edited by Socksy; 2014-07-24 at 01:28 PM.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    "Interdicient", or some other variant of Interdictus.

Sanctus is ultimately derived from Sanctio, which means "sanction". If you take that to mean "sanction in the sense of approval", then I would consider "interdict" to be the opposite.

"Pest" is another Latin-derived word that works, surprisingly. It comes from Pestis, which is a curse. There are other words for curse that sound cooler, but that's the one I remember. Mosquitoes are curses. They help remember Pestis.
    So.... Tuanta Quiro Miancay?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Blessed?

Master?

Darth?

Edit: although really, I agree that there's no reason to suppose an evil church's terminology would be any different from a good church's.
    Last edited by veti; 2014-07-24 at 06:01 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Defanatus.

Defane sounds about right.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Following T-mic's last line, I would go with something that belongs in the English language (as opposed to importing Latin terms) and holds a similar but opposite meaning to Saint, perhaps Curst (although that is already a creature in Forgotten Realms).

Of course, if you take 'Saint' to merely be 'an individual enshrined by the faith for his or her deeds' then the word works fine in spite of alignment. At least when used by other followers. Enemies would use a different and pejorative word of their choice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It might also help if you gave us some details on this evil temple and what are some of the pertinent aspects of the religion. So if you were to have an evil temple of Ur-Priests for instance, they might follow the teachings of an Apostate.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

...Taints?

13. - Top - End - #13

... No.

Also, you might want to update your tittle, cause right now the correct answer to it should probably be prayer.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

'Saint' works for evil too. Back in 1e days there was a Dragon article about saints, which included some evil ones.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    ... No.

Also, you might want to update your tittle, cause right now the correct answer to it should probably be prayer.
    All right...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose you could go for 'proxy' as they do in Planescape. Proxies are favored servants of gods. They don't necessarily get any special powers or are even clerics, but they exemplify and serve their patron in a truly exceptional way.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The proper name for evil Saints?

"Profanes" could work, if they really wanted to appear as they do. The mindset would be that of rebellion against the Good folks: clearly identifying themselves to people who sympathize with them. Also, edgy teenage rebellion and whatnot.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly, I'd keep using "Saint" even for evil faiths because it's uncomfortable. Some evil faiths might even revel in that discomfort.

If I had to pick a different title for an evil faith, though, I'd probably go with "Dread".

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

How about "Elect" (as in "those selected as the best") or "Dominus?"

Perhaps "Fane," shortened from "profane."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh. From what I remember, historically, the 'evil' equivalent to a saint would be a heretic (both terms having been somewhat devalued over the years... originally, to be branded a heretic, you had to be actively teaching something that went against mainstream doctrine).

So 'Heretic' could work... 'Gnossos' ('one who knows') might be a way to go as well, since there historically actually was a Gnostic heresy way back in the day.

Oh, and the usual caveat applies- I'm working from memory here and could be wildly, stupidly wrong. If I am, sorry >.O

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Huh. From what I remember, historically, the 'evil' equivalent to a saint would be a heretic (both terms having been somewhat devalued over the years... originally, to be branded a heretic, you had to be actively teaching something that went against mainstream doctrine).

So 'Heretic' could work... 'Gnossos' ('one who knows') might be a way to go as well, since there historically actually was a Gnostic heresy way back in the day.

Oh, and the usual caveat applies- I'm working from memory here and could be wildly, stupidly wrong. If I am, sorry >.O
    Not really; as you point out, a heretic is someone who is preaching unauthorized doctrine (such as the devotees of Pelor, the Burning Hate). In a society where there are a lot of different faiths, each with their own doctrine, an evil saint might be preaching the purest form of the doctrine... just of an evil deity.
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    How about "Elect" (as in "those selected as the best") or "Dominus?"
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh. I really like Elect. It says miles about their mentality.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

You could also try "Hierophant". It derives from ancient greek and means to be an interpreter of sacred mysteries and stuff.

24. - Top - End - #24

What about Prophet? Prophets communicate directly with their gods, plus they tend to be pretty crazy by laity standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    What about Prophet? Prophets communicate directly with their gods, plus they tend to be pretty crazy by laity standards.
    There's the usual problem with using a word that already has a specific meaning in this context...

A "prophet", pretty much by definition, challenges orthodoxy. I'm pretty sure any church would not want to limit its saints to people who do that. Prophets may be saints, but not all saints would be prophets.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

26. - Top - End - #26
    Spamalot in the Playground

"Elect" is too neutral, and also invokes images of a committee (which is admittedly the case for many Saints too, but not all of them.)

I am throwing my vote behind "Fane" as that is pithy and sounds sufficiently evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Problem with "Fane" is that it already means "temple or shrine." TSR adventure D3 had the Great Fane of Lolth, which was a temple. I kind of like Selerate.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2014-07-27 at 06:39 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Why shouldn't an evil saint just be called a saint? What makes a saint a saint isn't that they're good, it's that they're pious and perform miracles. If you serve an evil god then being pious is evil.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

29. - Top - End - #29
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Problem with "Fane" is that it already means "temple or shrine." TSR adventure D3 had the Great Fane of Lolth, which was a temple. I kind of like Selerate.
    I don't see this as a big deal. Words can have multiple meanings - "temple" for instance also means "flat part of the side of one's head."

Even when "fane" means temple, it's typically used to connote "evil temple" specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Why shouldn't an evil saint just be called a saint? What makes a saint a saint isn't that they're good, it's that they're pious and perform miracles. If you serve an evil god then being pious is evil.
    Because saint has become associated with good by connotation. Yes, you can technically have evil saints, or evil religions that consider themselves holy and the good religions unholy, but in a gaming context you'll almost never see those usages applied that way.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-07-27 at 09:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

All the more reason to just go with the word "saint" then.

Words like "profane" and "unholy" are derogatory words used by "good" religions to describe "evil" religions, if the "evil" religion is the main religion then there's no reason for them to insult themselves, an evil god is still divine and holy. An evil temple is still sacred. An evil priest is still pious.
    And an evil religion thinking itself good is extremely common.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2014-07-27 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Adding stuff
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal