New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Wand of Faith Healing

How does a Wand of Faith Healing work? Is it based on the person using the wand or the person who created it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wand of Faith Healing

Wand spells have their characteristics set by the creator. And the creator of a purchased wand is always the minimum caster level able to cast the spell.

But if you are using the wand of faith healing spell to convert a wand, then the level of the converted wand's spell depends on the level of spell in the original wand.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2014-08-07 at 05:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lesser Vigor is better, it's a guaranteed 11 hp per charge, whereas Faith Healing is only 9 hp per charge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I think that the point of the OP's question relates to the fact the Faith Healing only cures followers of the deity who grants the spell to the Cleric who casts it ? So if you find one as loot then it may not be of any use.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

What Nedz said, i'm not worried about caster level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Well Wands are spell completion devices so I think it depends upon who created it.

It might depend upon how you activate it — UMD might to be able to get around this problem, though the rules are silent as to whether it does or not. The spell itself only cares about the deity of the recipient relative to the caster.

You should be able to use Convert Wand (Champions of Valor p53 - Cleric 5) to turn it into a Wand of cure light wounds.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Generally speaking, it seems that all caster-dependent effects in magic items are set by the caster at the time of making it. So it would probably be based on the deity of the creator of the wand.

Yes, this could render such a wand useless as loot, unless you get lucky or are specifically recovering stuff taken from your own religion by whoever you're looting.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Generally speaking, it seems that all caster-dependent effects in magic items are set by the caster at the time of making it.
    No just spell completion - a Staff with Faith Healing on it should be fine.

I have considered equipping potentially hostile NPCs with Wands of Faith Healing in the past, but it did strike me as a little mean.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Minor note: wands are actually spell trigger, not spell completion.

That said, I'd tend to agree with what's been said: a staff would work fine, a wand would depend on who made it, and UMD would be able to make it work like it makes everything else work.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Okay thats what I thought, Playing a LE Paladin in an evil campaign and we have no healer (other than a bard with 1 cure light wounds per day) so I was looking for a way to preserve myself without being able to use it on the others muahahahah. We have a house rule that you can recharge wands by casting the spell back into them, so 1 spell = 1 charge, so a wand of faith healing for my deity would have been great, since the evil paladins don't get cure light wounds as a 1st level spell (they get it as 2nd level) but Faith Healing is a 1st level spell for paladins so it would be 1st level for me.

11. - Top - End - #11

If you want it usable only on you, and you're the only worshipper of your deity in your party, then it should work. Wands of Lesser Vigor ARE superior, however, unless you're trying to heal mid-combat and need the 9 hp right away more than you need 11 hp overall.

Admittedly, Lesser Vigor only heals 2 more hp than Faith Healing, in the end.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

UMD doesn't have an option for emulating a religion. And even if it did, the target would need to make the UMD check, not the person wielding the wand. On the other hand, a wand of Faith Healing could be used by anyone who can use that spell or make the "Use Wand" UMD check.

So, for instance, if your party's fighter is a worshiper of Kord, and the party has a wand of Faith Healing (Kord), then the party cleric who worships Pelor can still use that wand on the fighter. So can the party rogue, who worships Olidamara, provided she can make the UMD check. But neither of them can, under any circumstances, use the wand on themselves (unless they convert).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    UMD doesn't have an option for emulating a religion. And even if it did, the target would need to make the UMD check, not the person wielding the wand. On the other hand, a wand of Faith Healing could be used by anyone who can use that spell or make the "Use Wand" UMD check.

So, for instance, if your party's fighter is a worshiper of Kord, and the party has a wand of Faith Healing (Kord), then the party cleric who worships Pelor can still use that wand on the fighter. So can the party rogue, who worships Olidamara, provided she can make the UMD check. But neither of them can, under any circumstances, use the wand on themselves (unless they convert).
    This is exactly correct. I just thought it deserved a clear vote of agreement.