New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mount and Blade

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Mount and Blade

This series has appeared on my radar recently and I like what little I've gleamed. And the Warband sequel is currently on sale on Steam, so I thought I'd just ask about it.

Basically, is it fun? What does the gameplay mostly consist of? Is the world interesting and interactive? Are there any big bewares when it comes to character creation?

For the record, I'm not interested in multiplayer. At all. So please just fill me in on the single player aspects.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mount and Blade

It's great fun. There's an active modding community, the base game is excellent (Warband is basically an expansion and some clean up, not a sequel per se), and the world is very much interactive.

As for the game play, what makes Mount and Blade is the combat. In the early game it's generally your character and maybe a small retinue fighting bandits, doing tournaments, maybe doing some mercenary work, etc. Eventually you can join up with a faction, join a rebellion against a faction, or make a bid for taking over by yourself (technically you can try that last one from the very start, but that's inadvisable). Beyond that there's the social/political systems involving honor, relations with individual nobles, etc, which ties into the warring - nobles who favor you are much easier to get on your side, enemies made will go after you specifically, so on and so forth. Later in the game, the bigger battles start to appear, sieges become a very big deal, you might get into non-tournament duels, and bandit killing is generally not worth the time (except for when you're just in the mood to murder some bandits).

Warband also has a demo, which gets you to level 7. That generally only covers the early game, but it does at least provide you with enough time to get some grasp of the basic mechanics and whether you like them.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

You can get the original Mount and Blade for free at GOG.com right now. Warband is slightly improved, but they are pretty close to the same game.
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2014-11-13 at 03:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    You can get the original Mount and Blade for free at GOG.com right now. Warband is slightly improved, but they are pretty close to the same game.
    This is a case for getting the original. Though the Anno Domini 1257 mod for the original pretty much makes it entirely better.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5

RangerGuy

Hmm. Well, Warband only costs 5 dollars right now, so if there is any improvement that is a very minor price for them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

They're also working on 'Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord' although no idea when it will be coming out. They've been working on it for two years now, at least.

They are also releasing the Viking Conquest DLC for Warband next month, so if you really like vikings, consider that another point in favor of Warband.

7. - Top - End - #7

RangerGuy

They're also working on 'Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord' although no idea when it will be coming out. They've been working on it for two years now, at least.

They are also releasing the Viking Conquest DLC for Warband next month, so if you really like vikings, consider that another point in favor of Warband.
    YES! I DO! Vikings need more representation in games!
    Last edited by Jeivar; 2014-11-14 at 01:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I find Mount&Blade great fun, yeah. The combat is indeed the greatest selling point. Many options. And there's really no other game that has this level of mounted combat gameplay. It's difficult to master, but there's nothing quite as satisfying as charging rows of enemies down with a couched lance, or as rewarding as finally getting the hang of mounted archery. And the combat stays fun and visceral all the way from solo play all the way up to massive armies with you in the thick of it. And at higher difficulties, it really becomes quite a tactical game.

The overworld is... not as detailed. But that's not even really the main focus of the game. Sure, you can do some trade, and you must ally with one kingdom or the other in order to amass the bigger warparties and take part in the bigger battles, and eventually you can receive and maintain your own lands, but the actual combat is the main attraction.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Does any other game calculate the vectorial difference of velocity between the target and you in order to increase or decrease your weapon's damage?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2014-11-14 at 06:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Hmm. Well, Warband only costs 5 dollars right now, so if there is any improvement that is a very minor price for them.
    You may as well play Warband then. As far as I can tell, Warband improves on the original game in a lot of ways.

(Already put in 100 hours in the past two weeks. So.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Get the free copy of the original, and then five bucks on Warband. Or get the collection instead, which also has With Fire and Sword.

Also, how many other games actually let you couch a lance?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Does any other game calculate the vectorial difference of velocity between the target and you in order to increase or decrease your weapon's damage?
    Eve Online?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Warband's main improvement is heavily nerfing couched lance attacks. In the base game, as long as you can keep your lance couched you wreck everything it touches.

It's definitely worth five bucks, but I feel it doesn't have that much replay value past "what if I build a guy that fights with two axes and a hammer up his butt" because the late game is kind of tedious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Warband's main improvement is heavily nerfing couched lance attacks. In the base game, as long as you can keep your lance couched you wreck everything it touches.

It's definitely worth five bucks, but I feel it doesn't have that much replay value past "what if I build a guy that fights with two axes and a hammer up his butt" because the late game is kind of tedious.
    I found the Diplomacy mod lessens the endgame grind somewhat, and smoothes out the rougher edges of the lord/king level strategic level gameplay.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just got it at the sale and yeah, it's definitely worth it.
    Elementalist of the Redcloak Fan Club

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

16. - Top - End - #16

RangerGuy

Okay, I guess I'm getting Warband. I just took a look at a character creation video on youtube and the list of possible skills is a bit daunting. Are there any must-haves, or any that are an absolute waste of skill points?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Okay, I guess I'm getting Warband. I just took a look at a character creation video on youtube and the list of possible skills is a bit daunting. Are there any must-haves, or any that are an absolute waste of skill points?
    Obviously, only take skills for weapons you plan to use (Weapon proficiency points are theoretically infinite, so don't worry about them), so don't take Power Throw and Power Draw. Also, mounted archery and shield are only for their respective users. Athletics is of dubious use for mounted characters (i.e. most people), but does come in handy during tournaments and sieges. Crossbows don't have a skill tied to them, but only the small, weak ones can be used on horseback.

Ironflesh and Leadership are mandatory and should be maxed out on the PC at every opportunity. Prisoner Management only needs a few points innitially, but you definately want one point in it. Medical skills are also pretty important, although you can put them on a companion if you want instead since only the highest medical skill in the party is used (although you add an extra bonus to each party skill based on your level, even if you're the one with the highest skill, so investing in surgery at least is a pretty good idea).
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-11-14 at 01:07 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Did this deal expire? I checked the site, but couldn't find anything about getting the game. It's 50% off right now...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Did this deal expire? I checked the site, but couldn't find anything about getting the game. It's 50% off right now...
    It did - the deal lasted for the first 48 hours of their sale, which I believe ended about 5 hours ago.

There is a -75% offer on the whole series on Steam.
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2014-11-14 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    It did - the deal lasted for the first 48 hours of their sale, which I believe ended about 5 hours ago.

There is a -75% offer on the whole series on Steam.
    Hm, dang, just missed it.

Ah well, I just came into a bit of free cash on Steam anyway. Maybe I'll pick up Warband while it's on sale...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Mounted Archery is an exceptional annoyance. It's realistically modeled, which means hitting anything is pretty hard. That said, a crossbow for that first shot is very useful. I use one for all my characters. It's harder than a bow because it doesn't have the maximum accuracy point, but it does tend to stabilize easier.

On foot, such as assaulting bandit strong holds, you'll want the heavier crossbows so the first shot is a guaranteed kill, then switch to melee weapons. I'm big on a sword and shield instead of any of the other weapons. Probably just because it's Mount and 'Blade' but that might only be me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Mounted Archery is an exceptional annoyance. It's realistically modeled, which means hitting anything is pretty hard. That said, a crossbow for that first shot is very useful. I use one for all my characters. It's harder than a bow because it doesn't have the maximum accuracy point, but it does tend to stabilize easier.
    I've always done horse archery through kiting: break away from the pack, slow down, fire, launch into a gallop while you reload (if using a crossbow). It was a very useful tactic during my solo run, letting me take out even Sea Raider parties without being mobbed.

Sadly, the solo run (and even the adventurer run) didn't work so well, as you eventually get roped into working for a lord, and heroes don't count for the "amass X sized army" quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Other than the suggestions above, I feel the need to mention that you shouldn't undervalue the usefulness of pathfinding. It might not sound important, but the ability to pick your battles...Running from unfavorable encounters and catching favorable ones is immensely important...Is incredibly important. Especially for the mid to late game. A single point of pathfinding can mean the difference between being able to escape 50 bandits or catching up to that fleeing lord and his 10 men. You will want pathfinding, either as a personal skill or as a companion's skill

along the same lines as pathfinding, riding a horse will influence your speed across the map(assuming your riding skill is higher than your athletics skill) and adding horses to your inventory can also improve your overland speed and reduce the speed penalty from carrying heavy items.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2014-11-14 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Other than the suggestions above, I feel the need to mention that you shouldn't undervalue the usefulness of pathfinding. It might not sound important, but the ability to pick your battles...Running from unfavorable encounters and catching favorable ones is immensely important...Is incredibly important. Especially for the mid to late game. A single point of pathfinding can mean the difference between being able to escape 50 bandits or catching up to that fleeing lord and his 10 men. You will want pathfinding, either as a personal skill or as a companion's skill.
    Generally, I'd recommend a companion skill for that. I generally only get personal or leader skills, plus looting.

-- ChubbyRain

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Generally, I'd recommend a companion skill for that. I generally only get personal or leader skills, plus looting.
    That's a perfectly valuable tactic and i tend to do the same, but i make an exception for pathfinding. If i were to lose a battle and get captured and my pathfinder companion leaves me, then it's like i never took the skill. Of course you could ask around and sometimes find them within a week, but until then you're at risk of getting into a bad situation(again). That's assuming that they just left you and didn't get captured. If they got captured, then you need to rescue them from whatever castle or city they're in(which might not be possible depending on what level you are) or wait until they're released.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Something that should absolutely be mentioned about M&B: It's a game where the game narrative is entirely (or almost so, when mods come into play) of your own creation. Aside from being a child of a peasant/craftsman/minor lord and having a background in whittling/whistling/wandering you (the character) are a blank slate onto which you (the player) can project ambitions as the fates suit.

As far as skills, I find that no player character is complete without Surgery maxed out. It can turn a castle siege from a Pyrrhic victory into a total one. Likewise, once you start fighting other lords it becomes much easier to recover from large battles if you aren't forced to keep recruiting, just rest for a day and go back into the fight. Because companion skills turn off when they are knocked out/reach ~15% health, it's also incredibly difficult to keep one of your companions up and running in a grand melee, so it should sit on the one character that's guaranteed to be active throughout the fight.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Other than the suggestions above, I feel the need to mention that you shouldn't undervalue the usefulness of pathfinding. It might not sound important, but the ability to pick your battles...Running from unfavorable encounters and catching favorable ones is immensely important...Is incredibly important. Especially for the mid to late game. A single point of pathfinding can mean the difference between being able to escape 50 bandits or catching up to that fleeing lord and his 10 men. You will want pathfinding, either as a personal skill or as a companion's skill

along the same lines as pathfinding, riding a horse will influence your speed across the map(assuming your riding skill is higher than your athletics skill) and adding horses to your inventory can also improve your overland speed and reduce the speed penalty from carrying heavy items.
    Borcha with 8 points in pathfinding.

My full sized army can easily catch Steppe Bandits.

28. - Top - End - #28

RangerGuy

That's a perfectly valuable tactic and i tend to do the same, but i make an exception for pathfinding. If i were to lose a battle and get captured and my pathfinder companion leaves me, then it's like i never took the skill. Of course you could ask around and sometimes find them within a week, but until then you're at risk of getting into a bad situation(again). That's assuming that they just left you and didn't get captured. If they got captured, then you need to rescue them from whatever castle or city they're in(which might not be possible depending on what level you are) or wait until they're released.
    So does the game autosave? No save scumming allowed?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

There's an option for that when you first start a new character I believe.

A female character with the lady in waiting background I believe gives you a good horse to start with.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

So does the game autosave? No save scumming allowed?
    You can select Realistic (ironman) or normal Load/Save when you create a character.

Personally, I prefer ironman. There isn't much a downside to being captured, except possibly losing companions.