New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

biggrin Re: Best Uses for Minor Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by Caelic View Post
    Give your party Paladin theme music. Every good hero needs some.
    Party Paladin in the House Tonight?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Best Uses for Minor Illusion

Sleeping dangerous animals discourage people from passing through a space: "Shall we tiptoe past the sleeping Mastiff?"
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Sleeping dangerous animals discourage people from passing through a space: "Shall we tiptoe past the sleeping Mastiff?"
    you can make objects or sounds, unfortunately. no creatures.

you could make a statue of a sleeping mastiff. might fool some people in a dark area. that's about it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

In a recent OotA session I used it twice, with varying degrees of success.

The first time I created the illusion of a barbed devil to distract a dretch, which succeeded (ah, good ol' demons and their hatred for devils). I could attack the dretch while it tried to hit the illusion. This trick should be useable with a lot of other not-so-smart creatures that have racial grudges.

Later, I ended up in a battle between a drow elite warrior and a barlgura. The drow had created an area of darkness, which covered both it and its demonic adversary. I, not aware what was going on inside the darkness, carefully inched forward... and bumped into something smelly, hairy, and large.

Cue a Minor Illusion of a pit fiend roaring, or at least something that sounded a lot like one. One intimidate check later and I managed to get the barlgura to flee the darkness, rather than attack the squishy mortal it had just encountered.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Do note that you're not limited to 5' high objects. A 5' by 7' door, for example, still fits within a 5' cube. So does an 8'6" pole.
    Great point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Do note that you're not limited to 5' high objects. A 5' by 7' door, for example, still fits within a 5' cube. So does an 8'6" pole.
    I'm not sure that would still work. A cube, by definition, is the same length on all sides. So a 5' cube is limited to five feet wide, five feet tall and five feet long. Sure, you may be able to fit that 5x7 door in it, if you laid it on its side diagonally, but not as a proper, upright door since that would no longer be a cube. If it was a gnome's door, say only four feet tall, that could totally work.

Now if it actually meant the equivalent cubic feet as a 5' cube, that'll be a whole other story.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    I'm not sure that would still work. A cube, by definition, is the same length on all sides. So a 5' cube is limited to five feet wide, five feet tall and five feet long. Sure, you may be able to fit that 5x7 door in it, if you laid it on its side diagonally, but not as a proper, upright door since that would no longer be a cube. If it was a gnome's door, say only four feet tall, that could totally work.

Now if it actually meant the equivalent cubic feet as a 5' cube, that'll be a whole other story.
    does the cube have to be flat on the ground?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krugaan View Post
    does the cube have to be flat on the ground?
    I didn't actually think of that. Is it still a cube if it is set at an angle? I don't really know. And that would probably rely on DM ruling as much as mathematical ruling.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Is it still a cube if it is set at an angle?
    Yes, it is. :)

10. - Top - End - #40

I got one:

If you're a Shadow Monk scouting ahead, tiptoe around a corner and then cast Minor Illusion to create the sound of a scream and then a loud meaty "Thunk." Then cast it again to make an illusion of your own severed head, and hide until your fellow PCs look around the corner.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I got one:

If you're a Shadow Monk scouting ahead, tiptoe around a corner and then cast Minor Illusion to create the sound of a scream and then a loud meaty "Thunk." Then cast it again to make an illusion of your own severed head, and hide until your fellow PCs look around the corner.
    As someone whose Monk just reached level 3, I'm stealing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Depends if you're playing on a battlemap? Doesn't that turn the world into squares/cube with specific orientations? :p
    im pretty sure the descriptor of the spell is an indicator of volume and max dimensions, not some kind of weird orientation requirement

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caelic View Post
    Give your party Paladin theme music.

Every good hero needs some.
    Haha, I love this idea

Personally, big rock/barrel/pile of whatever with ranged hero inside is probably my favourite use of minor illusion. Creating sound or image of bag full of gold to distract guards is quite good too.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The 'waa-aaa-waahh!' from the good the bad and the ugly theme music (like 10 seconds into this clip)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFa1-kciCb4

Every time you enter a room: BRAAAAAAAAWWWM!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khghXRGb6k

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram
    Moving images are not specifically forbidden.
    Correction, moving images are not specifically allowed. Whereas in Major Image and Silent Image they are specifically provided for.

Also Minor Illusion states that it can not create any other sensory effect, that would easily include the sensation of motion.

On the bright side, it doesn't require concentration and lasts for 1 minute, so you could have up to 10 Minor Illusions going at once. And if you are an Illusionist at 6th level you can animate even the Minor Illusion. So that's pretty cool.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Cover for the rogue so she can enter stealth midcombat. Create an opaque block, crouch behind it, make your roll. Obviously it wouldn't hold, but it wouldn't need to. If you are in a corridor, use it to hide caltrops or ball bearings. Stow away on a ship by hiding in a "barrel". Make fart sounds every time the cleric speaks.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    On the bright side, it doesn't require concentration and lasts for 1 minute, so you could have up to 10 Minor Illusions going at once. And if you are an Illusionist at 6th level you can animate even the Minor Illusion. So that's pretty cool.
    it does, however, end if you cast the spell while it is already active.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce
    it does, however, end if you cast the spell while it is already active.
    Wow, second line of the spell and I completely spaced on it. Oh well, I guess it's best served as a personal stereo system.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

or as the second half of a silent image. after all, no concentration means you can have both running at the same time.

especially if you can use silent image at-will like certain warlock builds.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

My Bard is a half-elf Elvis impersonator called Elvish Presley and whenever he leaves an area after an interaction uses minor illusion to simulate a loud tannoy blast saying "ELVISH HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Playing a wizard, I have used Minor Illusion in concert with a Bard to mask footsteps while evading a creature with Tremorsense (a Bulette btw). Reasoning was that sound makes waves, those waves are transferrable to the soil and thus affective to Tremorsense. As a bard he was able to coordinate his pulses to make a discordant cacophony that allowed us to drive off the nasty creature.

Used to deepen shadows around my eyes, generally appearing more menacing for Advantage on Intimidation checks.

My favorite has been making a white noise or water matrix effect to mask conspiratorial conversations in crowded areas.

In a first and last ever successful usage for me, managed to make a brigand believe that a previously identified Bag of Devouring was laden with coins and a fat Agate sitting right on top of the pile was his for the taking. I even offered it to him, as toll payment. He gladly reached in for a fist full of coin, only to find his hand was stuck, and he was subsequently pulled inside. His partners slashed the bag to ribbons destroying the magic and their friend inside.

To embellish spoken tales for children and simpletons.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Masking stuff with layers, like traps, pits, or even hide myself behind a false wall.

Creating sounds for manipulation purposes. Creating an explosion sound to lure guards away, or creating speech like an offensive remark near a group of thugs making them start a fight with random people (like a racist remark), or a command from the guard captain (report!). I'm not sure exactly how much freedom I have in creating speech, but if I can create a roar, I suppose I can create a single word. Depends on how much flexibility the DM allows. If he allows for small sentences then I can create very powerful effects.

I also like spreading misinformation by creating a false layer over a written paper that says something else. For exaple if there is a poster for a show, I may create an illusionary copy that has the wrong address. As long as people don't have any reason to touch it, then it's fine.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    I believe the reference is to "I'm gonna git you sucka"

http://youtu.be/e3oeAlOtbkE

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Post Re: Best Uses for Minor Illusion

My DM is letting me use it to store pages of text / charts. I can store a number of pages equal to my Int modifier. Each page takes a minute to store plus one minute for each page already stored this way, but recalling them is just like any other casting of the spell.

My knowledge cleric (magic initiate) uses it as an arcane cheat sheet.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I like making mirrors with it, especially around creatures with a gaze attack. But you can also make a mirror appear somewhere to look around a corner for instance.

Make a steel box with an arrow slit in it to shoot out of. This is especially nice if you're a small-sized caster; no squatting.

I use the sounds all the time as distractions. Last night the party was terrified of entering a home that had ominous warnings on the door so I made the sounds of a woman inside calling for help. Then I could watch to see what happened to them before I decided if it was safe to enter.

Since it has no verbal component, it's a great almost-subtle spell. Should be possible to cast it without notice with a sleight of hand check.

Quote Originally Posted by kochecc2 View Post
    My DM is letting me use it to store pages of text / charts.
    I don't understand this at all. How is an one minute illusion spell good for that?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    I like making mirrors with it, especially around creatures with a gaze attack. But you can also make a mirror appear somewhere to look around a corner for instance.
    woah, hey now, give this some disclaimers or you'll derail this thread so hard we'll wind up arguing about every unclear passage in the core rulebooks and maybe even beyond!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kochecc2 View Post
    My DM is letting me use it to store pages of text / charts. I can store a number of pages equal to my Int modifier. Each page takes a minute to store plus one minute for each page already stored this way, but recalling them is just like any other casting of the spell.

My knowledge cleric (magic initiate) uses it as an arcane cheat sheet.
    While alone, this would require a house rule, since you can't generally just say, "I recreate the identical illusion down to the last detail as the last time," if you have the feat that lets you remember anything you've seen in the last month, this works beautifully.

The trick is that you make the illusion, and look at it. Any time in the next month, because you remember it perfectly, you can make a new illusion of it. Now that you've seen it again, you've reset the monthly counter.

Since it has no verbal component, it's a great almost-subtle spell. Should be possible to cast it without notice with a sleight of hand check.
    I...can't believe I hadn't noticed it was Somatic only. Very nice!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    woah, hey now, give this some disclaimers or you'll derail this thread so hard we'll wind up arguing about every unclear passage in the core rulebooks and maybe even beyond!
    DISCLAIMER: Dalebert is a trouble-maker. Best to just disregard anything he says as pure propaganda with no other purpose than to trigger a flame war.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

28. - Top - End - #58

DISCLAIMER: Dalebert is a trouble-maker. Best to just disregard anything he says as pure propaganda with no other purpose than to trigger a flame war.
    If a flame war is triggered, do we all have to gather around it and help it feel better until the trigger goes away?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CyberThread View Post
    ONE MAJOR HICCIUP!

Nothing in the thing says the illusion can move with you, I think it has to stay in place..so if you move..then...it stays in place,especially if your talking at all or moving your head.
    "Stay in place" relative to what?

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by LordVonDerp View Post
    "Stay in place" relative to what?
    Always an interesting question. I think it safe to say that "you" are not going to be it, though, because spells which move with you generally say so. It's really the DM's call.

Personally, I'd allow a minor illusion to remain stationary wrt whatever is supporting it. If it's free-floating, then wrt the most notable terrain feature. So on land, "the ground." Inside a moving castle, "the castle." On a ship, "the ship."