New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Mass Production of Magic Weapons

One of the biggest drains of money for a melee character is enchanting their magic weapon, and this annoyance is multiplied in the case of TWFers and such. But in those cases it's usually simplest to suck up the costs, since it's too much effort to get around the costs for just two weapons. But what if you're looking at say, 20 weapons that you intend to use side by side? You'd want them all to be magical, and that's beyond anyone's wealth (outside of wealth-breaking schemes.) What suggestions do people have for ways of getting weapon abilities onto a weapon or lots of weapons without breaking the bank?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Production of Magic Weapons

It would probably be cheaper to simply buy some custom Bracers of Magic Weapon, Greater. The custom part being that you can then cast it at will. Still expensive as all get out, but a lot cheaper than a bunch of +X weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    It would probably be cheaper to simply buy some custom Bracers of Magic Weapon, Greater. The custom part being that you can then cast it at will. Still expensive as all get out, but a lot cheaper than a bunch of +X weapons.
    Reach Chain Greater Magic Weapon serves the purpose of getting a +X weapon easily enough. I'm more concerned about getting special abilities on it. I could do Reach Chain Keen Edge to get Keen, for example. That kind of thing.

I've just had a thought though, would the old Morphing Shuriken trick be a way to get 50 +X *ability I want* Morphing Shuriken for the cost of a single +X *ability I want* Morphing *weapon I want*, and then morph them into the desired weapon? Does that work?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If morph does what i think it does, ie make the weapon something else, then yes that should work, though you may want to make the DM the target of your dodge feat and prep an action to dodge incoming books.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Um... an artificer with Reach Spell, Chain Spell and Persistent Spell could use metamagic item with a wand of x weapon augmentation. It'd cost a ton, though. And anyone could Chain greater magic weapon.

An artificer with enough cost-reduction abilities could bring it down to something like 15-20% of buying them.

A Psychic Warrior could manage this at higher levels as long as they're all the same kind with the Soulbound Weapon ACF, but you may need to do some cost reduction and dig into the 3.0 Psionics Handbook for Persistent Power for it to be viable.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

6. - Top - End - #6

Stick an Ice Assassin of a Solar (ideally using multiple size reductions on the original Solar to make it fine before making the Ice Assassin of it) into a Bag of Holding or the like and then just bring it out to Wish up whatever magic item you want for the day.

Just toss your old item into your bag or over your shoulder and continue on your way.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Reach Chain Greater Magic Weapon serves the purpose of getting a +X weapon easily enough. I'm more concerned about getting special abilities on it. I could do Reach Chain Keen Edge to get Keen, for example. That kind of thing.

I've just had a thought though, would the old Morphing Shuriken trick be a way to get 50 +X *ability I want* Morphing Shuriken for the cost of a single +X *ability I want* Morphing *weapon I want*, and then morph them into the desired weapon? Does that work?
    Reach chain greater magic weapon is an 8th level slot without metamagic reduction. Why are you robbing yourself? Legion's greater magic weapon (Heroes of Battle) functions identically to greater magic weapon, and does all held weapons in a 20' radius burst, in a sor/wiz 5, clr 6 slot. The lower level also makes it more eligible for persistomancy, assuming you can get some metamagic reduction in there somewhere.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-09-06 at 06:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It would also let you make an At Will item of it cheaper. Still pricey but a lot nicer than begging you caster buddy to do it everyday.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It would also let you make an At Will item of it cheaper. Still pricey but a lot nicer than begging you caster buddy to do it everyday.
    Or just buy them a pearl of power.

Also, why persist it? it's already hours/level, which at 9th-level is effectively the entire adventuring day.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Or just buy them a pearl of power.

Also, why persist it? it's already hours/level, which at 9th-level is effectively the entire adventuring day.
    LGMW is minutes/level. But it is persist eligible with no shenanigans.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-09-06 at 07:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

how much is a 5th level pearl of power/memento magica? because if it lasts that long you could just buy a 1 or 2 times per day version of that, as it may be cheaper.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

how much is a 5th level pearl of power/memento magica? because if it lasts that long you could just buy a 1 or 2 times per day version of that, as it may be cheaper.
    36k. About par with a +4 weapon.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-09-06 at 07:28 PM.