New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Your opinon on Tome of Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlith View Post
    Guys, both of you. Multiclassing exists, you know. Seems you forgot.
    If someone built a Zhent Dungeoncrasher Figher 9/Spirit Lion Barbarian1/Warblade 10 would that break the reality for you two?
    I don't have a problem is someone else built a _insert anything here_.
    However we were not talking about someone else. I was asked to explain my preference (which would not be satisfied by that ECL 20 build for reasons previously stated) and I was heckled for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    2) A preference for At Will abilities is not equivalent to "bonus feats forever". There are enough feats that are good enough(Improved Trip or better) to necessitate using a Bonus Feat class when trying to compress the most value into the lowest ECL.
    My emphasis. I have read all of your posts. I have yet to see a character concept you've posited where the highlighted portion is both true and requires a fighter bonus feat, as used by a fighter and only a fighter.

This is not bile. I am not attacking anyone.
    Question: Is this relevant to my preference of Fighter(a bonus feat class) over Warblade, or are you asking about my preferences between the Bonus Feat classes?

Since the first has been answered time and time again, I will only answer the second.
    It depends on the prestige class(es) I am taking. If I am taking Warhulk 4, then the math works out that I want a Full BAB Bonus Feat class (aka Fighter) to minimize the ECL of completion. If I am going for War Mind, then Psychic Warrior is ideal but now Fighter is a 2 level dip for a passive buff(Dungeoncrasher). If I am going for neither of those area attacks, then Martial Rogue is ideal even if it calls for a Ftr 2 dip and requires skill points spent on qualifying for Avenger 1 (for Sneak Attack +1d6). Again remember this is under the constraint of trying to have the ECL of completion be as low as possible without excluding desired abilities.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-11 at 10:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Wow, just wow. Are you really resorting to a strawman attack? Against an explanation of personal preference?

3) You were smart enough to know better. Stop maliciously misrepresenting my explanation of my preference as a means of satisfying your anti-Fighter-Players bile.
    Yes, clearly I am only posting because I hate people who play fighters, and accusing me of this is simply a logical argument and in no way a personal attack. I'm glad we have such paragons of virtue as you to guide us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Wait, that's right. ToB was horribly undersupported. I don't even think they got web enhancements or Dragon magazine material... did they?
    Nope! And a bunch of stuff was cut from the final release too! Like these bad boys hidden in the art gallery:

Spoiler: Discipline Avatars
    Show

Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, and Desert Wind

Iron Heart, Setting Sun, and Shadow Hand

Tiger Claw, Stone Dragon, and White Raven (which was White Tower in development)

Spoiler: Stormblade
    Show

A cut maneuver, presumably for Iron Heart (or a lightning-based discipline that got cut)

Spoiler: Script Fighter
    Show

A construct that would presumably do things with martial scripts.

Spoiler: Diamond Swordmaster
    Show

Presumably a Diamond Mind/Psionic PrC, a la Jade Phoenix Mage and Ruby Knight Vindicator, supported by the fact that the exemplary character is a githyanki and the discipline emboidment for Diamond Mind is an astral construct. But noooooooooo, we got Link and Navi Eternal Blade instead.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-09-11 at 10:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    The feat portion of the class ability neither has the ability to progress nor is it part of the damage progression.
    Good thing that parts of a progression don't need to individually progress then, and a second good thing that it's still not a damage progression. It is, as always, an unarmed strike progression.

There is demonstrably no change in the feat itself, which by definition culls it from the concept of progression.
    What? It's not, y'know, two progressions. That wouldn't even make sense. It's just one big progression. Not every part of a progression needs to individually progress. A good example of this sort of thing is vow of poverty. It's all one big progression, arranged on a table, except some of the abilities are completely static. If something were to grant you vow of poverty progression, then you would gain all of the abilities of vow of poverty, while if something were to grant you vow of poverty feat progression, then you would get only the feats.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2018-09-11 at 08:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Yes, clearly I am only posting because I hate people who play fighters, and accusing me of this is simply a logical argument and in no way a personal attack. I'm glad we have such paragons of virtue as you to guide us.
    Another strawman, what a surprise.
    Well it is that or a malicious unwillingness to utilize intellectual empathy. Either way you have proven you are merely a heckler that prefers to use strawmen as your tools. Go heckle someone else for their personal preferences. I am done with you.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-11 at 10:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, that's right. ToB was horribly undersupported. I don't even think they got web enhancements or Dragon magazine material... did they?
    ToB was born under the last rays of 3.5's dying sun, on the final scions of a dying generation of gaming. The most it got was a half-formed errata and a web enhancement featuring printable maneuver cards. I can't think of anything else it got.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1
    Question: Is this relevant to my preference of Fighter(a bonus feat class) over Warblade, or are you asking about my preferences between the Bonus Feat classes?
    If there's no mechanical reason why the fighter - specifically the fighter - is chosen in order to perform a function, then yes, it's relevant. No, I'm not asking about dips. If you prefer to play fighters as a class, you're preferring to play the actual class, not some amalgam of classes that includes a 1, 2, or 6 level dip in fighter, and I have yet to see a thorough, rational explanation of that particular preference in your posts. If that's NOT the basis of your preference - if your preference for fighter really is rooted in it as nothing more than a dip for bonus feats - then that tells me something about how strenuously the fighter itself is being defended in your posts as a viable class.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398

It's worth noting that it's probable he's not defending it as "viable" so much as "a personal preference."

And all it takes to make Fighter preferable is multiple things along the lines of Improved Trip that he wants to be working with. If he wants a number of combat options that are along those lines, Fighter is a solid way to go.

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Another strawman, what a surprise.
    Well it is that or a malicious unwillingness to utilize intellectual empathy. Either way you have proven you are merely a heckler that prefers to use strawmen as your tools. Go heckle someone else for their personal preferences. I am done with you.
    Generations of my people will mourn the loss of intellectual stimulation provided by your disingenuous assertions.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-09-11 at 11:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    If there's no mechanical reason why the fighter - specifically the fighter - is chosen in order to perform a function, then yes, it's relevant. No, I'm not asking about dips. If you prefer to play fighters as a class, you're preferring to play the actual class, not some amalgam of classes that includes a 1, 2, or 6 level dip in fighter, and I have yet to see a thorough, rational explanation of that particular preference in your posts. If that's NOT the basis of your preference - if your preference for fighter really is rooted in it as nothing more than a dip for bonus feats - then that tells me something about how strenuously the fighter itself is being defended in your posts as a viable class.
    1)
    "I prefer Bananas", "I prefer Bananas over Oranges" and "I prefer Bananas over everything" are not equivalent sentences.

I prefer using Fighter as the main class (majority of the levels) over using Warblade as the main class. Depending on the other goals of the build I may prefer using Fighter as the main class over other Bonus Feat classes OR vice versa. It depends on the build (as shown in the 3 examples I gave).

2)
    My position is not defending Fighter. My position is explaining a personal example of why some people prefer using Fighter over using Warblade. This was tangentially related to me defending the people trying to fix fighter (to have as an option alongside Wablade) rather than cave into the forum's desire to force everyone to replace fighters with Warblades.

3)
    Why did you make mistakes 1 & 2? I assume you have been reading my posts, are bright and have been using intellectual empathy.

Related:
    What impact do you think those mistakes from the majority have on the minority?
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-11 at 11:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Generations of my people will mourn the loss of intellectual stimulation provided by your disingenuous assertions.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees
    Go heckle someone else for their personal preferences. I am done with you.
    10 characters
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-11 at 11:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Banned

Male

What I don't get is why someone would actually want 45% of their levels to be dead levels, while the majority of the other 55% are very, very weak. By no means level appropriate, certainly.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-09-11 at 11:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    What I don't get is why someone would actually want 45% of their levels to be dead levels, while the majority of the other 55% are very, very weak. By no means level appropriate, certainly.
    Maybe having half of your levels do nothing is a personal preference.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #404
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Nope! And a bunch of stuff was cut from the final release too! Like these bad boys hidden in the art gallery:

Spoiler: Discipline Avatars
    Show

Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, and Desert Wind

Iron Heart, Setting Sun, and Shadow Hand

Tiger Claw, Stone Dragon, and White Raven (which was White Tower in development)

Spoiler: Stormblade
    Show

A cut maneuver, presumably for Iron Heart (or a lightning-based discipline that got cut)

Spoiler: Script Fighter
    Show

A construct that would presumably do things with martial scripts.

Spoiler: Diamond Swordmaster
    Show

Presumably a Diamond Mind/Psionic PrC, a la Jade Phoenix Mage and Ruby Knight Vindicator, supported by the fact that the exemplary character is a githyanki and the discipline emboidment for Diamond Mind is an astral construct. But noooooooooo, we got Link and Navi Eternal Blade instead.
    Ohh, that is some cool stuff! Why did they cut that!?
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Ohh, that is some cool stuff! Why did they cut that!?
    Obviously Pelor, The Burning Hate was offended by Desert Wind trying to horn in on his domain and struck the developers dead before they could complete the book.

16. - Top - End - #406

Obviously Pelor, The Burning Hate was offended by Desert Wind trying to horn in on his domain and struck the developers dead before they could complete the book.
    That explains the errata document, too.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

That explains the errata document, too.
    ^%$^&%$^*ing Pelor.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

^%$^&%$^*ing Pelor.
    I think you've just come up with the caption for this entire thread.

Your Opinion on Tome of Battle:
    ^%$^&%$^*ing Pelor.

We just need a photo and we've got a demotivator.

... Seriously, though, that was /thread.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Specific trumps general. The monk class entry is more specific than the general feat rules.
    Except there's absolutely no trumping anywhere in the Monk class entry. The Bonus Feat text never mentions the Monk using those choices. The term "select" (the exact word appearing in the general feat rules) is used four times, while there isn't even a synonym for "use".

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Except there's absolutely no trumping anywhere in the Monk class entry. The Bonus Feat text never mentions the Monk using those choices. The term "select" (the exact word appearing in the general feat rules) is used four times, while there isn't even a synonym for "use".
    Is this the old argument that you can somehow take a feat without being able to use it? Not by virtue of lacking anything to which to apply it, but by the rules saying "you can't use it even though you have it?"

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Is the monk not bad enough that you have to handicap it even more by not allowing it to use its feats?
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Is this the old argument that you can somehow take a feat without being able to use it? Not by virtue of lacking anything to which to apply it, but by the rules saying "you can't use it even though you have it?"
    It's the same reasoning that If I took power attack and had my STR dropped below 13, I could no longer use the feat. I would still retain it, but I'd lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Is the monk not bad enough that you have to handicap it even more by not allowing it to use its feats?
    I don't actually believe that is the goal he is trying to accomplish.

Either way, whether or not the monk is good has no bearing on how that ability works.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't know... I'm with Segev here. It seems to me like the GitP hatred for monks is coloring your interpretations of the rules here. I'm not sure why people would think that the designers intended that monks get a bunch of abilities that they are flat-out incapable of using.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I don't know... I'm with Segev here. It seems to me like the GitP hatred for monks is coloring your interpretations of the rules here. I'm not sure why people would think that the designers intended that monks get a bunch of abilities that they are flat-out incapable of using.
    Because the rules support that interpretation reasonably well. It doesn't matter all that much what the designers intended, because the words in the book are as they are, However, if we're talking intent here, then I somehow doubt that designers intended the martial monk to be capable of taking weapon supremacy at first.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Because the rules support that interpretation reasonably well. It doesn't matter all that much what the designers intended, because the words in the book are as they are, However, if we're talking intent here, then I somehow doubt that designers intended the martial monk to be capable of taking weapon supremacy at first.
    They also probably didn't intend for Monks to not be proficient with Unarmed Strikes. Really, the difference between what they intended and what they wrote is enough that a Monk probably couldn't jump over it.

In other words, I'm not sure how much can be gleaned about what they "intended" about Monks, because of the basic flaws in writing it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    In other words, I'm not sure how much can be gleaned about what they "intended" about Monks, because of the basic flaws in writing it up.
    I think I can make an argument that they intended to make the class so screwed up that it was unplayable. Check out the Human Monk Starting Package (Player's Handbook, page 42):
    Bonus Feat: If Dexterity is 13 or higher, Mobility; if Dexterity is 12 or lower, Blind-Fight instead.
    You'll note
    1. they actually thought about choices here, given the decision tree; and
    2. neither of these feats appear anywhere in the Bonus Feat class feature (i.e., they're both RAW illegal).

27. - Top - End - #417
    Banned

I think I can make an argument that they intended to make the class so screwed up that it was unplayable. Check out the Human Monk Starting Package (Player's Handbook, page 42): You'll note
    1. they actually thought about choices here, given the decision tree; and
    2. neither of these feats appear anywhere in the Bonus Feat class feature (i.e., they're both RAW illegal).
    Those are for the Human bonus feat, not Monk bonus feat.

28. - Top - End - #418

I love the Tome of Battle with a deep passion. After 15 pages I'm sure I can't say anything that hasn't been said before so I'll just chime in with the pro-ToBers.

My group calls it the "Tawb bawnis".

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    There's literally no way to balance these two against each other without either nerfing Wizard into the ground, buffing Fighter into the stratosphere, or simply playing 4e (more or less the halfway-point between the two.) I don't see what's so desirable about that end-state anyway.
    It's hardly just playing 4e. There are a bunch of games where mages and martial types are basically even.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It's hardly just playing 4e. There are a bunch of games where mages and martial types are basically even.
    And games where there's not much distinction between the two, and when there is, it's sort of meaningless. *ahem*NWoD*ahem*.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)