New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Path of War now out! What do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    If so, it won't actually work. Rats have 1 HD.

I'm not sure PF even uses fractional HD.
    Precisely what prompted my question.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else notice that there is some screwy stuff you can pull with Awakened Blade? Soulknife(Gifted Blade)4/Initiator3/Awakened10 can end up with a 22nd-level Soul Blade if your DM either allows you to put the Manifester Levels into the Blade, or if you use the High Power FAQ. Not sure how to stat that, really.

Couple of ways to use that combo, too, since if you finish out with an Initiator your IL ends up at 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, it may actually be worthwhile to build a spear throwing character now. Spears are discipline weapons for scarlet throne, silver crane, and solar wind. Grab the ricochet weapon feat and you could be an awesome switch hitter. Add a belt of mighty hurling and you are in great shape.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Hmm, it may actually be worthwhile to build a spear throwing character now. Spears are discipline weapons for scarlet throne, silver crane, and solar wind. Grab the ricochet weapon feat and you could be an awesome switch hitter. Add a belt of mighty hurling and you are in great shape.
    This makes me unreasonably happy.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    This makes me unreasonably happy.

-X
    Because it is an intended interaction or because someone found a nice unintended interaction? Strong, balanced, interesting unintended interactions are, in my opinion, a sign of a well designed system.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Because it is an intended interaction or because someone found a nice unintended interaction? Strong, balanced, interesting unintended interactions are, in my opinion, a sign of a well designed system.
    I thought a sign of a well-designed system was just, like, a board that read "WELL-DESIGNED SYSTEM".
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe the intent is that the first level bonus feat is traded for IUS (and later GUS), and the section about bonus feats has a copy-paste error. That would fit in with earlier versions of the PrC. (As a side note, I much preferred the old Steelfist Bravo to the commando, flavour-wise.)
    Hm... suddenly, the archetype loses much of its appeal. I'm pretty sure the character can be built on Thrashing Dragon alone... though I really wanted Broken Blade for fluff, Steelfist Commando's inability to gather a holy trinity of Weapon Finesse, Deadly Agility and TWF at level 1 really hurts.

By the way... since Acrobatic Gambit doesn't involve using a maneuver as part of gambit itself, you can recover a maneuver through it and immediately use it while enjoying Gambit's damage bonus, right? And do it round after round?

Hm... with Dex 20 and Cha 18 (doable with 25 point buy, though at the cost of severely dumping STR and WIS), Outer Sphere Stance, Acrobatic Gambit, Swift Claws, dual-wielding short swords means 2 hits per round, each dealing 3d6+9 damage. At level 1. I love it!

Update:
    Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    I thought a sign of a well-designed system was just, like, a board that read "WELL-DESIGNED SYSTEM".
    Not necessarily. There is a relatively niche game (as in, computer game) called I wanna be the Boshy which, at one point, has a sign that states, literally, "Good level design this way". The level sign points to looks like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by jamieth; 2014-09-12 at 05:01 PM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    Hm... suddenly, the archetype loses much of its appeal. I'm pretty sure the character can be built on Thrashing Dragon alone... though I really wanted Broken Blade for fluff, Steelfist Commando's inability to gather a holy trinity of Weapon Finesse, Deadly Agility and TWF at level 1 really hurts.
    Can't have everything, I guess.

By the way... since Acrobatic Gambit doesn't involve using a maneuver as part of gambit itself, you can recover a maneuver through it and immediately use it while enjoying Gambit's damage bonus, right? And do it round after round?
    Should work, yeah.

Hm... with Dex 20 and Cha 18 (doable with 25 point buy, though at the cost of severely dumping STR and WIS), Outer Sphere Stance, Acrobatic Gambit, Swift Claws, dual-wielding short swords means 2 hits per round, each dealing 3d6+9 damage. At level 1. I love it!
    Assuming you succeed with the tumble check, but then again, with 20 Dex and 18 Cha (added through the gambit), you should.

The enemy can of course easily counter the strategy by dropping his weapons, thus no longer threatening area, preventing you from using the Acrobatic Gambit, so ha!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm really wanting to use this to play an "Elf", meaning an elven character that is a classical fighter/mage, but with all the fun new school mechanics. I'm thinking a Dervish Defender Warder, but then I cant decide if I want to take some Wizard and go Bladecaster or just jump straight into Mage Hunter.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Can't have everything, I guess.

Should work, yeah.

Assuming you succeed with the tumble check, but then again, with 20 Dex and 18 Cha (added through the gambit), you should.

The enemy can of course easily counter the strategy by dropping his weapons, thus no longer threatening area, preventing you from using the Acrobatic Gambit, so ha!
    All the reason I needed to make an army of pixie casters/manifesters!
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

They're also discipline weapons of Piercing Lance...which is definitely about spears!
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    They're also discipline weapons of Piercing Lance...which is definitely about spears!
    Nah bro, Piercing Lance isn't about spears. That would be silly.

It's the water balloon discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

I'll factor that in once it is released.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Nah bro, Piercing Lance isn't about spears. That would be silly.

It's the water balloon discipline.
    Thrown splash weapon discipline confirmed?
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

16. - Top - End - #136

Thrown splash weapon discipline confirmed?
    "Thrown Splash Weapon" is three words...HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

17. - Top - End - #137

With a name like "Piercing Lance" I would've thought it was for mounted combat rather than spears.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    With a name like "Piercing Lance" I would've thought it was for mounted combat rather than spears.
    Piercing Lance originally only worked for mounted characters, while they were mounted. This has been/is being changed so that some maneuvers are mount-enabled or mount-enhanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Piercing Lance originally only worked for mounted characters, while they were mounted. This has been/is being changed so that some maneuvers are mount-enabled or mount-enhanced.
    Ah, fair enough.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

20. - Top - End - #140

So, overall really liking everything. A few things I don't though

-Solar Wind doing double duty as the much-sought after archer path and the desert wind substitute. If I want to be a more traditional archer themed martial adept or something that isn't fire-based I'm SOL. Especially weird given that one of the most common DW changes was simply allowing someone to sub out the element, not allowing a PoW initiator to in any capacity seems weird.

-Double weapon support is nice, but some of the chains are a bit rough, especially for double weapon finesse which ends up looking at 7 levels of feats, nine if you want something other than a quarterstaff.

-Heal and SS. The idea of someone who uses knowledge of anatomy and medicine to be a skilled assassin is cool. But the skill could use some in-book support to make it something more than Truespeak 2.0.

I really like traditions, but I want there to be more of them. Not much else to say there but I can envision some cool concepts around things like, say, a golden lion stalker or steel serpent warder and so on.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    -Solar Wind doing double duty as the much-sought after archer path and the desert wind substitute. If I want to be a more traditional archer themed martial adept or something that isn't fire-based I'm SOL. Especially weird given that one of the most common DW changes was simply allowing someone to sub out the element, not allowing a PoW initiator to in any capacity seems weird.
    I'm kinda hoping for a non-supernatural (or at least less flashy) archery discipline, too.

A firearms-themed one would be cool too, with stuff to help with reloading and jamming guns and stuff. This might be in the works, actually?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

You could build a module out of the organizations; have a city under siege by bloody fangs, calling black thorn knights for help but there methods cause opposition from empyreal knights, while the desperate ruler spurns the defenders of the realm and something something scarlet...okay, needs work.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm kinda hoping for a non-supernatural (or at least less flashy) archery discipline, too.

A firearms-themed one would be cool too, with stuff to help with reloading and jamming guns and stuff. This might be in the works, actually?
    ErrantX and Lord_Gareth both said that the other ranged discipline, Descending Gale, has been canceled for PoW2. This is despite the best efforts to convince them otherwise.

Maybe if they have enough commentary that asks them to try another avenue of approach to a ranged discipline, but as it sits right now we're looking at only having the one discipline going forward and seemingly no way to mitigate its glaring issues.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2014-09-12 at 10:42 PM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth
    The thing is, there's only really two themes to hit for archery; powerful single shots (like snipers, handled by Solar Wind) and bullet/arrow spam.
    What about the theme of non-burning arrows?

For that matter, a slight overlap doesn't seem to be a problem when it comes to melee disciplines. "Enemy-Hitting Strike - Hit the enemy as a standard action, deal XdY extra damage, force save vs. Condition."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

That's a shame, I honestly see room for a lot of design space to be explored with.

There's nothing more traditionally martial for an archer. Really-good-archer should be a perfectly valid initiator concept rather than mystic-archer. No hate against mystic archers, just sometimes I'd rather have an archer that looks more practical. Think Scarlet Throne or Iron Heart.

Course, on the other end of the spectrum there's a ton of archers in fiction that rely on trickery and acrobatics. Bam, there's a third discipline: Your maneuvers are all about high mobility and support. Debuffs and special effects galore. Like... Black Seraph without the evil/intimidation flavors and some veiled moon thrown in.

Not sure I buy the "only one or two things you can do with a bow" argument when people are just tossing out random ideas that could build into disciplines that not only stand on their own as archers, but probably stand on their own holistically as well.

Could also make a gun oriented discipline that plays with gun-specific things. black powder smokescreens, tricks with burning barrels, revolver ocelot shenanigans, throw a pile of gun-fu on top of that and shake.

Plus, again, multiple elements. What's wrong with a lightning or ice themed archer?

...Does DSP have an idea box? We could go write up a couple disciplines for them and send 'em their way.
    Last edited by Anlashok; 2014-09-12 at 11:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Greenish: I understand why you're upset, but I sense more venom in your post than is really warranted. The best thing you can do is come up and suggest non-sarcastic options for disciplines that are outside the "poke them with a million holes" and "give them ONE BIG HOLE" then hope it sticks.

For example, perhaps a Lightning-based AoE discipline? It's something both outside of anything ToB/PoW has done AND outside of the traditional ranged options.

Alternatively, perhaps a discipline that's less about using the weapon and more about the concepts of meditating on its use, providing both ranged and melee options equally throughout.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2014-09-12 at 11:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    ...Does DSP have an idea box? We could go write up a couple disciplines for them and send 'em their way.
    They actually do.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I admit I missed how quite a few strikes are now "melee or ranged attack" or "any attack". I'd noticed Veiled Moon had gotten into ranged combat, but so has Golden Lion, apparently. Thrashing Dragon is still sadly limited to melee strikes and ranged strikes with only capstone being "melee or ranged".

[Edit]:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    Greenish: I understand why you're upset, but I sense more venom in your post than is really warranted.
    Maybe you're right. I didn't mean to force Fort saves (at least not hard ones), honest!
    Last edited by Greenish; 2014-09-12 at 11:21 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Thrashing Dragon has several thrown weapon strikes.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Thrashing Dragon has several thrown weapon strikes.
    …Didn't I just say so?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show