New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    A167

Because it's redundant. Wizards fullfill every facet of Planeswalkers in that they summon creatures they know about, have Libraries, and are able to travel into other Planes as early as they get Planeshift. It's just in MTG every Wizard seems to have Conjuration as their favored schools.

Edit: just realized my original reply didn't quite fit in. Put a better more RAW Supported answer, but I'm saving the original reply in case people want to read it.

Spoiler: Original reply
    Show
    Q 167
    Why aren't there more crossovers between MTG and D&D?

A167
    Because it's redundant.

The playable characters are creatures created by Planeswalkers from their memories and understanding of achetypes glitzed up to make them more effective. Their cards tend to be bigger than usual for MTG, but it's fine as it lists ever stat including Strength and Toughness. Most of these planewalkers only have one or two creatures in their decks with everything else being equipment. They're allowed to start play with their signature creauture and equips as part of a modified Commander ruleset.

Meanwhile, another Planeswalker creates his own monsters and creatures using his own resource pool, Put in the right lands, equip challenges appropriately before letting the other planeswalkers have to block or attack the challenge. He gets more everything including the power to treat his Library as his hand in order to balance out the fact he's on his own. There's also a side deck for rewards for overcomming the enemey Planeswalker's challenges.

Non standard challenges are mostly casts of diplomacy between Planeswalkers or whether or not the "lesser" planewalkers can use their Libraries to overcome the conceived scenario.

Then with the game for that day ends, the surviving character's equipment is saved and exported to the next game, while all the Planeswalkers alter the rest of their libraries.

Non standard challenges are mostly casts of diplomacy between Planeswalkers or whether or not the "lesser" planewalkers can use their Libraries to overcome the conceived scenario.

Then with the game for that day ends, the surviving character's equipment is saved and exported to the next game, while all the Planeswalkers alter the rest of their libraries.
    I thank you for respecting the spirit of the thread. They are both good answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Thank you. And to add, I'll note that D&D and Magic are owned Wizards that create and take other people to the worlds they create and offer the tools for new Planewalkers to create their own worlds and creatures.

Q169 How much would a modern day Smart Phone be worth to adventurer?
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    Q169 How much would a modern day Smart Phone be worth to adventurer?
    A 169
    features of a modern smartphone:
    communication over most of the planet
    taking pictures
    storing information
    sending pictures and information
    using information to perform tasks

long range communication, sending pictures, sending information: scrying on command or sending on command (the other person would obviously need their own "phone" to receive from or send to [respectively] you), both 50400 gold.

taking pictures and storing information: +15 to +20 autohypnosis, 22500 to 40000 gold

so 72900 to 90400 gold ignoring cost for merging it into one item or making it slotless. This also doesn't include apps, but i'm not sure how to include those.
    Last edited by Lightlawbliss; 2015-02-28 at 10:47 PM.
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 170
    Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

Q 171
    I wanna know: have you ever seen the rain?

Q 172
    Now what would you do, if you could [mess] with me and my crew?

Q 173
    How may roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?

Q 174
    How many seas must a white dove sail before she sleeps in the sand?

Q 175
    Who's in a bunker? Who's in a bunker?

Q 176
    The world is full of tragedy so how can it be wrong, singing death, death, death, death, devil, devil, evil, evil songs?

Q 177
    What keeps mankind alive?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

A 173:

Humans are distinguished from other races primarily by our bonus feat. Gaining a feat would ordinarily require gaining three character levels. If we assume 1 random encounter per road and 13 encounters per level, then, a man must walk down 39 roads before they call him a man.

A 176: Some death effects have the [evil] tag, and are therefore wrong. Many others, such as Finger of Death or Power Word Kill, do not, and are therefore not wrong. I'm not aware of any bardic music ability which is a death effect, but if there is, it can be determined to be wrong or not by presence or absence of the [evil] tag.

A 177: We are kept alive by having a positive Con score and a HP total greater than -10.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

A 170 Christmas does not seem to be a holiday in any of the pantheons, and Santa Claus as provided on the WOTC site is only 20th level, so I don't think they do.

A 174 It says in the entry for Malphas says that a dove uses the same stats for raven. The raven as presented in the srd has no ranks in Profession (sailor), so it seems unlikely it can sail any seas before resting on the shore.

A 175 Several divination spells can tell you who is in a bunker, provided you know where it is.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2015-03-20 at 11:00 AM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 178 What can change the nature of a man?
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 178 Polymorph.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymorph
    This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature. ... The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Banned

A 171: Probably not. Rain is a fine object and so is actually fairly hard to see with a spot check.

A 172: Because I'm a first-level human expert, I probably only have about 10 different skills I can use on you and your crew as an upper limit, along with attacking, tripping, disarming, bull rushing, grappling, and so forth. Most of the skills probably can't be used to mess with you or your crew, and actions like aid another probably can't either. So there's a limited amount of stuff that I could do to mess with you and your crew.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Apologies if this has done before and I missed it.

Q.179 What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?
    Behold! The Monster Compendium

My Homebrew.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started with the intrepid heroes whisked away to a battle gauntlet in the sky by a mystery deity! It was meant to be strictly a playtest but quickly devolved.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Banned

A179 They're probably the verbal component to Hideous Laughter.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

A179 Partial
    The Apostle of Peace has Perform (Comedy) as a class skill. As for love, the Nymph's Kiss feat gives a +2 bonus to Perform (Comedy) checks, although this is only if your lover happens to be a good-aligned fey. I can't speak for understanding.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-04-16 at 02:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    A179 Partial
    The Apostle of Peace does not have Perform (Comedy) as a class skill, and it cannot be used untrained, so in most cases there will be nothing very funny about peace. As for love, the Nymph's Kiss feat gives a +2 bonus to Perform (Comedy) checks, although this is only if your lover happens to be a good-aligned fey. I can't speak for understanding.
    A179 Partial, Part 2

You might not be able to speak for understanding, but the spell tongues can ensure understanding in any language. While that may not improve your humor directly, the ability to communicate your jokes in any language would definitely be a boon to an up and coming comedian.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Banned

A179 Partial Part 3: Especially since the target of Hideous laughter gets a save bonus if they don't understand you.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q 180: Is there life on Mars?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

A 180: Probably not

Mars is a deity of divine rank greater than 1, and is therefore capable of casting cleric spells, including Remove Disease. If he has cast this on himself, it would have rid him of any parasitic infestations.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 149
    Someone who needs the Regeneration spell, a graft, or the Half-Golem Template. Alternatively nothing, as it's pretty hard to lose limbs in D&D.

A 150
    It looks like it was you all along! https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=bombshubompshubomp Or maybe some bard. Prolly a spoony one.

A 151
    D&D is about the journey, not the destination. There are plenty of rules on modes of movement, but there's always something new to do when you get there.

A 152
    Anyone who can make a DC 20 handle animal check can let the dogs out, likely to attack someone.

A 181
    Who gives a [expletive excrement]?

A 182
    Who gives a rat's ass?
    Last edited by No brains; 2015-05-07 at 11:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Q 183:
    What were questions 181 and 182?

Q 184:
    If the barber shaves all who do not shave themselves, then who shaves the barber?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 183
    The answer to your question can be found on page 12 of the thread: Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW, in post #347 by forums user No brains, beginning 16 lines down and ending on line 20.

A 149
    Someone who needs the Regeneration spell, a graft, or the Half-Golem Template. Alternatively nothing, as it's pretty hard to lose limbs in D&D.

A 150
    It looks like it was you all along! https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=bombshubompshubomp Or maybe some bard. Prolly a spoony one.

A 151
    D&D is about the journey, not the destination. There are plenty of rules on modes of movement, but there's always something new to do when you get there.

A 152
    Anyone who can make a DC 20 handle animal check can let the dogs out, likely to attack someone.

A 181

A 182
    Who gives a rat's ass?
    Emphasis mine... again. Be strongly advised that in the RAW hierarchy, the thread is somewhere below "My uncle works for WotC" and slightly above "Sage Advice" in viability, so beware ruling on it's findings.

A 184
    Appearances such as hair, facial or otherwise, are purely cosmetic and up to whomever controls the PC or NPC. Barbers can simply decide to not have hair anymore. It is mechanically irrelevant. Changeling barbers do not need to shave and can alter their shape to remove their beards. Dwarf barbers never shave. Elf barbers cannot shave. Warforged look hilarious when attempting to shave.
    Last edited by No brains; 2015-05-07 at 11:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Re 183:

Those are answers, not questions.

And I love the mental image of a warforged attempting to shave.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming that 180 and 181 were questions.

A 180
    Filth fever is a disease spread by things like otyughs and rat swarms. They are talked about as living in and eating filth and refuse, so I think you can see where this is going, and where the filth fever's coming from. Since they give it to you, then...
    A 181
    We know what rat's asses are for, see above.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 183 Oh, I see now. An editing error on my part. For crimes against the high procedure, I offer my sanity as recompense. Join me in my sacrifice.
    Spoiler: Circling into the abyss of madness
    Show

Q 181

Q 182
    Who gives a rat's ass?
    After 2 times I'm done pushing my luck and won't post any more potty mouth for now.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Q 184:
    If the barber shaves all who do not shave themselves, then who shaves the barber?
    A 184
    The barbazu (AKA bearded devil) seems a likely candidate, starting with the provoking threat of beard removal, unless the barber is sufficiently optimized to handle a CR 5 encounter. Sadly for the barber, barbazu are not inclined to stop trimming once they've reached skin.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 185
    Who bez?

Q 186
    Does anyone know of Arfenhouse?

Q 187
    Is Arfenhouse appropriate to mention here? Is it appropriate anywhere?

Q 188
    What does "Who bez" mean?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Banned

A 185: Anyone who takes a standard action to do so. Because the action to bez isn't defined, it's automatically assumed to be a standard action.

A 186: Probably. The hardest questions only have a knowledge DC of 30, meaning that due to the fact that some people will have 18 INT, 4 skill ranks, and skill focus, they'll be able to pass on a 19. Assuming there are at least 10 people this clever, or 20 people who are missing one or two INT or a skill rank, or some people higher than first level, or some combination, it seems likely that someone, somewhere, knows of Arfenhouse.

A 187: Probably. The Forum Rules don't mention that Arfenhouse is a banned subject, and I don't even know what Arfenhouse is, but it doesn't sound like something that shouldn't be spoken of. Or at least, I hope it isn't, because we both just mentioned it.

A 188: Nothing. No English or pseudo-English phrases mean anything, because no humans speak English: they speak Common.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q189: How many times can a man turn his head, given that the answer is blowing in the wind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Banned

A189: Regardless of whether or not there is a whispering wind spell active, a man can turn his head as many times as he likes, although doing so has no effect.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-05-18 at 07:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Q190: Knock, knock. Who is there?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #359
    Banned

A190 Whoever was standing behind the door whose lock you just broke.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 190 A moderately paranoid person.

Each spell can undo as many as two means of preventing egress. Thus if a door is locked, barred, and held, or quadruple locked, opening it requires two knock spells.