New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power IV: Boldly Bolding Where No Man Has Bolded Before!

It's his first name, he's a humanphile. Next page we'll see him creepily hit on Danica, or possibly have an awesome night out with Dr. Brightman, depending on whether Mookie wants to do "Creepy planet owner wants young woman" or "We're so tolerant, any species can get it on! Just like Mass Eff - wait, don't think about that comparison too much. In fact, forget I said anything."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Colossus in the Playground

Todays comic, meh, danica is annoyed that SHE doesnt get to be the one to hand out all of the knowledge.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Todays comic, meh, danica is annoyed that SHE doesnt get to be the one to hand out all of the knowledge.
    Yeah but... why? Because it's impolite to get interrupted? We've never known Danica to have in any way a fetish for talking, or showing off her knowledge. Or a specific interest in ancient cultures... I mean, this is Mookie but... I would kind of like to know.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Firbolg in the Playground

People who know a lot about the same subject tend to do so to patronize the other and show that they are better than him. I've seen it done at very high levels; usually, a part yields not to come to a fight.

My problem with this page is the idea that people get better at something because of contact with another people. It's technically true, but such enhancement depends on technology. An archaeologist would say "it is most likely due to technology XY, which is consistently found in Zorp (artifacts of similar kind)".

Why would an astronomer want to know a lot about such stuff, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

Posted for Posterity

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Why would an astronomer want to know a lot about such stuff, anyway?
    Somehow the scientists on S^6 made a major discovery in this area so it's possible she picked it up after being posted up there. You do tend to learn about your Institution's major victories once you start working there.

As for why, well, everyone needs hobbies, no?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Posted for Posterity

Somehow the scientists on S^6 made a major discovery in this area so it's possible she picked it up after being posted up there. You do tend to learn about your Institution's major victories once you start working there.

As for why, well, everyone needs hobbies, no?
    I was a computer science major at Rice, and I probably learned more about buckyballs and buckytubes there than I did about programming.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Okay, I'll admit it: I actually like Star Power. It's fun. Stupid, but fun. Which, in addition to my general infrequency in visiting this forum, is why I haven't joined on the mocking train.

But today, I'm confused, and so I turn to the Playground for help. How do modern star maps confirm the accuracy of millennia-old carvings? Wouldn't both the positions and the light outputs of the stars have changed? And why would they use different colours for different light outputs than use different colours for, you know, different colours of star? Or is Dr. Brightman just talking through her hat, and, despite supposedly being a trained astronomer, is using a roundabout phrasing for brightness when she means colour?
    I'm Mort and I make comics. http://beechwoodandbloom.smackjeeves.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
    For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting DM View Post
    Okay, I'll admit it: I actually like Star Power. It's fun. Stupid, but fun. Which, in addition to my general infrequency in visiting this forum, is why I haven't joined on the mocking train.

But today, I'm confused, and so I turn to the Playground for help. How do modern star maps confirm the accuracy of millennia-old carvings? Wouldn't both the positions and the light outputs of the stars have changed? And why would they use different colours for different light outputs than use different colours for, you know, different colours of star? Or is Dr. Brightman just talking through her hat, and, despite supposedly being a trained astronomer, is using a roundabout phrasing for brightness when she means colour?
    Welcome aboard

So, here's how this could make sense.
    • It is conceivable that a "modern" astronomer could take the star map and the orbit of the planet in question and run a simulation to see if the map would match up to the "sky" on the world at a particular date (or, at least, period of time).
    • Stars change "light output" (probably stellar spectra) very slowly. The above simulation would also be able to identify any stars that did change their spectra and see whether the gem was appropriate for what that star would have been at the given local time.

It does posit that the Ancient Aliens had sophisticated telescopes (to see stars that are normally outshone by their neighbors) and a good understanding of astrophysics (we didn't figure this out until the 19th century) but considering how much in the future this setting is, there's a lot of time that could be called "ancient."

That said, we could have built the same map in the 19th century and not put it in essentially an unfinished cave. So either these Ancient Aliens had Schizo Tech (19th century astrophysics, neolithic everything else) or there's not really any reason for anyone to be excited about the scientific achievement.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2015-09-14 at 08:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It is possible, if you are bored or desperate for a doctoral thesis topic, to determine where stars were thousands of years ago based on their present positions and velocities. In fact, FTL travel should make this relatively (heh) trivial. To observewhere stars were X years ago, observe them from a point x light years away. Do some math to pretend you're viewing them from Rokoss, et voilà.

Now the "light output" is just Mookie being unscientifically vague. He's a "writer", not an astronomer, and sadly for this story he's allergic to research.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

In Mookie's defense, stars move pretty slowly across the sky in terms of "change in position over millenia". I guess you can claim they used to be exactly where they should be a few thousand years ago, but iirc, the shift should be so small they basically are still there. Unless we're talking about time spans of millions of years. Or stars around there are clustered much closer/moce faster.
    About the "light output"... yeah, no idea. I first read it as spectra, which I'm going to assume is what he meant.

It's kind of neat, nonetheless.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #1421

Very technically speaking (aka "according to my schoolbook"), the modern age begun in 1492 and ended in 1789, when the contemporary age begun. Modern maps could be pretty old it's wonderful how arbitrary such systems can be. But modernity could really refer to an older time.

The starmap idea is cool, but I think some panels with detail would have shown it better, and given it more time for the reader to appreciate. After all, the attention is mainly on the text baloons, which is a "tell, not show" accomplished while actually drawing the thing. It's amazing.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

To me it sounds like only visible stars are represented in the cave. The 'not only' is meant to say they also differentiated between the stars using the different colored gems and appraently different sizes. So this could be accomplished by very rich men in the bronze age. On Earth you'd need 2500-5000 gems just to show all the visible stars. To show dimmer stars you'd need a lot more

Scientifically it's less impressive than structures like Stonehenge that show knowledge of the movements in the sky. It's a picture of the sky at a particular time of the year. It doesn't show their movements over time or even the differences in their distances. It also looks distorted, more of a shallow bowl than a perfect half sphere. And these gems don't really show the spectra of the stars. They're natural gems so it's a rough match at best. Rubies don't have the same spectra as Red Dwarf for example.

13. - Top - End - #1423

And why are you assuming they used earth based gemstones? For all you know on their planet they have gems of every possible hue and color combination.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    To me it sounds like only visible stars are represented in the cave. The 'not only' is meant to say they also differentiated between the stars using the different colored gems and appraently different sizes. So this could be accomplished by very rich men in the bronze age. On Earth you'd need 2500-5000 gems just to show all the visible stars. To show dimmer stars you'd need a lot more

Scientifically it's less impressive than structures like Stonehenge that show knowledge of the movements in the sky. It's a picture of the sky at a particular time of the year. It doesn't show their movements over time or even the differences in their distances. It also looks distorted, more of a shallow bowl than a perfect half sphere. And these gems don't really show the spectra of the stars. They're natural gems so it's a rough match at best. Rubies don't have the same spectra as Red Dwarf for example.
    Even if the gemstones do not show the same spectra as masses of incandescent gas (gigantic nuclear furnaces!) it's still pretty impressive to match spectra to representative stones. As I mentioned, we only figured this out in the 19th century (although Newton was so close in the 17th century) so if a neolithic culture managed to do it, more power to them.

Without that, it's just a static map of luminous objects in the sky which we've been doing basically as long as we've had representational art.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Even if the gemstones do not show the same spectra as masses of incandescent gas (gigantic nuclear furnaces!) it's still pretty impressive to match spectra to representative stones. As I mentioned, we only figured this out in the 19th century (although Newton was so close in the 17th century) so if a neolithic culture managed to do it, more power to them.

Without that, it's just a static map of luminous objects in the sky which we've been doing basically as long as we've had representational art.
    Except they didn't match them themselves, they were told. On to other things, what's the light-source for this cave? Is it the door? It's the door isn't it? It would be ironic if you could only see the cave wonder during sunny afternoons and the Gemstars of the West were always dimmer than the Gemstars of the East.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2015-09-14 at 11:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I assume in Neolithic times, they lit a fire. And forgot to build a chimney because Mookie designed the room, but really, is this what we're picking apart now?
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-09-15 at 06:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1427

Maybe I missed it, but does it say anywhere that the thing was built in neolithic times?

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but does it say anywhere that the thing was built in neolithic times?
    It's actually a lot more boring than I thought.

The Zel Grux are a spacefaring race that landed on Rokkos and built a university to uplift the natives. The native Rokkosians were mostly known for their abilities to wear masks and carve rocks, so naturally the Zel Grux decided to teach them to be better at that.

What all this means is that the Gemstar Map is nothing more than Cargo Cult astronomy. The Zel Grux said "all those shiny spots in the sky are giant balls of gas and they are all different colors" so the Rokkosians said "let's make a picture of that with rocks!"

I hate you all for making me actually comprehend what's going on in this comic

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well been a while since I read any of the new pages or posted here, must say enjoyed the new issue so far!
    Loved the face of Danica's boss after she was asked to accompany them!
    Couple of questions though...

1) That cave might be old enough that Mitch might be able to tally up differences with his records prior to accessing Sanctuary 6's library?
    2) Could this mean the source of that power up is a leftover artefact a starpowered hid in their system for that very purpose?
    3) Was one of the assassinated starpowered from that system?
    Could we find out the Countess overlooked a few Starpowered facilities in her haste to eliminate any of the Star powered wielders?
    4) Who thinks this dynasty were survivors of the last Wormhole?

20. - Top - End - #1430

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Well been a while since I read any of the new pages or posted here, must say enjoyed the new issue so far!

1) That cave might be old enough that Mitch might be able to tally up differences with his records prior to accessing Sanctuary 6's library?
    2) Could this mean the source of that power up is a leftover artefact a starpowered hid in their system for that very purpose?
    Could we find out the Countess overlooked a few Starpowered facilities in her haste to eliminate any of the Star powered wielders?
    I think the last wormhole fought against an Empire. It could have been these guys.

I like the idea of the cave being somehow related with the Sentinels. It could be a rifle nailed to the wall (aka Chekhov's Gun).

About lighting the cave: there could have been small tunnels coated in reflective substances ending behind each star, making them glow as if they were a light source, if there were everlasting lamps at the end of the tunnels, or the tunnels were made in such a way, as to receive light at each time of the day.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Obviously the loss of memory is an important plot point.
    Did they even TRY to connect Mitch again to any database?

Seems like that should be a lot faster than going to a museum, and might give better clues regarding what went wrong.
    Besides, if the data was erased from Mitch, why can't it be deleted again just because he learned it not through a direct connection?

22. - Top - End - #1432

So the plot twist for this chapter is that the green lady cheated to get her qualifications, because it turns out that she actually is a condescending jerk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    So the plot twist for this chapter is that the green lady cheated to get her qualifications, because it turns out that she actually is a condescending jerk?
    I bet she's secretly a racist who's personally responsible for commiting genocide in this particular Dynasty when she was a child.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I bet she's secretly a racist who's personally responsible for commiting genocide in this particular Dynasty when she was a child.
    Her crimes are far worse than that. I hear, she likes jocks.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Sadly, our only image of other SPS doesn't include any Rokkosians as far as I can tell.

I'm betting on the Zel Grux being a secret reserve force of SPS ("Dark SPS") and their "mysterious disappearance" being due to the cataclysm caused by the Eighth Wormhole. Mitch doesn't know about them because information about Dark SPS is intentionally blocked by SPS programming to preserve said secret. His overcharged distress call awoke the Dark SPS AI and, upon further contact, with somehow produce Space Celesto.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2015-09-16 at 07:02 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #1436

Im thinking madame expert lady in the towel is overcompensating. She is jealous of all the attention her former lab partner is getting since the whole star power thing happened, and is trying to show that she is an expert and thus worth having along. She is trying for, "Im an expert here, take me along on your adventures!" But is accidentally hitting, "Im a royal pita know it all! Be annoyed by me!"

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im thinking madame expert lady in the towel is overcompensating. She is jealous of all the attention her former lab partner is getting since the whole star power thing happened, and is trying to show that she is an expert and thus worth having along. She is trying for, "Im an expert here, take me along on your adventures!" But is accidentally hitting, "Im a royal pita know it all! Be annoyed by me!"
    Traab's sig is accurate again. This is my theory exactly, mostly because to me she's hitting the "popular extroverted girl who just doesn't know any better" tropes rather than the "hyperviolent dbag who turns out not to be a joke" tropes. Also, she's a nerd.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1438

Traab's sig is accurate again. This is my theory exactly, mostly because to me she's hitting the "popular extroverted girl who just doesn't know any better" tropes rather than the "hyperviolent dbag who turns out not to be a joke" tropes. Also, she's a nerd.
    Oh thank god, I was afraid I would have to change my sig sooner or later due to the expiration date on when I last yelled stuff you were thinking.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Funnily enough, if I'm annoyed by anyone it's Danica and the dirty looks she keeps giving Beena.

Yeah, she interrupted you when you were trying to hand out explanations, but you're a star girl. She's a dynasty girl. Maybe you should just get overself and let her have her moment to shine. You might even learn something new, given that Beena is supposed to specialize in this dynasty and you don't.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Funnily enough, if I'm annoyed by anyone it's Danica and the dirty looks she keeps giving Beena.

Yeah, she interrupted you when you were trying to hand out explanations, but you're a star girl. She's a dynasty girl. Maybe you should just get overself and let her have her moment to shine. You might even learn something new, given that Beena is supposed to specialize in this dynasty and you don't.
    I agree, literally the only reason I "get" that Beena's behavior is meant to be annoying is Danica's gazes.

In fact at first I thought it was meant to show a character flaw on DANICA's side when she first did it. (lol as if)

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero