New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Edge of the Empire General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I guess I'm just not sold on the fact that some good/bad happens the majority of the time. Sometimes just failing or succeeding is sufficient.
    "Some good, some bad" can pretty much just mean "Not a perfect success"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess I'm just not sold on the fact that some good/bad happens the majority of the time. Sometimes just failing or succeeding is sufficient.
    That's fine. When I run EotE, I usually fly by the seat of my pants, so I would have made one of the droid parts nonfunctional or shock him or something like that. If you don't want to use the threat, it is your prerogative not to.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

In my game if a skill roll is called for for which I don't immediately see a benefit or penalty being appropriate, I don't levy one.

This has precedent from the initiative roll (simple skill check on Cool/Vigilance), where threats and advantages are essentially meaningless.

I don't usually apply strain or allow strain recovery outside of combat rolls too.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I agree. There doesn't always have to be advantage/threat narrated ... sometimes a simple success or failure is all that is needed.

Would it be funny if a droid part shocked the character for some strain? Maybe. Would it make your game better? Maybe. It's all up to the GM and what he seems would add to the narrative to make it more enjoyable for the players.

If the party was under a time limit for some reason, then yeah ... I would make the check take longer because of the threat. Or more devious GMs could hold onto that threat and at some point activate the tracker in that bag 'o droid parts the mechanic failed to notice to put some bounty hunters on the PC's tails. =)

Just my 2 credits worth.

Dizlag

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I'm of the mindset that Advantage/Threat should generally be of lesser consequence than success/failure, so I'd be very unhappy if success+threat resulted in something like "You learn that they are valuable just as you trigger the self destruct! Take 1d6 damage and 2d6 disappointment."

I think Strain is a fine thing to do in this situation (You wouldn't even have to model it as electrocution- Maybe your character just gets frustrated and grouchy because each part is from a different manufacturer, so he has to look up six different tables, and then cross reference them with the price index...)
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This is a total shot in the dark, but I'm starting an edge of the empire group in Elizabethtown PA. I have two players, and I am GM'ing. Starting with the beginners box, we are all new to it, if you live near by and are interested, let me know! (Sundays most likely)
    Last edited by MilkMonster; 2014-10-24 at 04:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by MilkMonster View Post
    This is a total shot in the dark, but I'm starting an edge of the empire group in Elizabethtown PA. I have two players, and I am GM'ing. Starting with the beginners box, we are all new to it, if you live near by and are interested, let me know! (Sundays most likely)
    I live in Pittsburgh which is close but not close enough lol. Have you tried meetup.com to find a group?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I live in Pittsburgh which is close but not close enough lol. Have you tried meetup.com to find a group?
    I have :/ they are all run by local game shops, which is great. The only problem is that I have 0 time during the week with my job and commute. My weekends are free but I share a car with my wife, so it's hard to justify bogarting the car to geek out!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think 2 players is the minimum, but I hope you find more. It's a fun system.
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3DS friend code: 0232 9724 5460
    Mii name: Jack
    pokemon y name: Jack

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've put together this nemesis, more to be a political thorn in the party's side than a combat monster.

Human Brawn:2 Agility: 3 Intellect:3 Cunning:4 Willpower: 3 Presence:4

Skills: Charm:3, Coercion: 3, Cool: 1, Deception: 3, Knowledge(Core Worlds): 2, Knowledge (Education): 2, Pilot (planetary) 1, Ranged Light: 1

Talents: Adversary 1, Black Market Contacts, Plausible Deniability 2 ranks, Scathing Tirade, Improved Scathing Tirade, Nobody's fool.

Gear: Disruptor pistol, hold out blaster, armored clothing, personal shuttle.

Meant to be a well off, shady noble, with strong black market ties, that I want to use as equally a nemesis and obligation for the party.

I could use a critique on what I should add or take away, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Fumble Jack; 2014-10-29 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Forgot a talent
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble Jack View Post
    I've put together this nemesis, more to be a political thorn in the party's side than a combat monster.

Human Brawn:2 Agility: 3 Intellect:3 Cunning:4 Willpower: 3 Presence:4

Skills: Charm:3, Coercion: 3, Cool: 1, Deception: 3, Knowledge(Core Worlds): 2, Knowledge (Education): 2, Pilot (planetary) 1, Ranged Light: 1

Talents: Adversary 1, Black Market Contacts, Plausible Deniability 2 ranks, Scathing Tirade, Improved Scathing Tirade, Nobody's fool.

Gear: Disruptor pistol, hold out blaster, armored clothing, personal shuttle.

Meant to be a well off, shady noble, with strong black market ties, that I want to use as equally a nemesis and obligation for the party.

I could use a critique on what I should add or take away, thanks in advance.
    He looks fine, but I'd never let the party see him without at least one bodyguard (with that talent), just because he looks fragile enough to snap if the party get fed up with being jerked around :)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by zilvar View Post
    He looks fine, but I'd never let the party see him without at least one bodyguard (with that talent), just because he looks fragile enough to snap if the party get fed up with being jerked around :)
    I had it in mind to always have a combat droid or two around them and rather aggressive Trandoshan muscle. Thanks

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I have a player that really wants to play this species:
    Spoiler: Horansi
    Show
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Horansi
    The Mashi specifically, yet I'm not quite sure how to stat them out. I want to say they may fall under the more powerful species character creation xp limitation and each should probably have claws, however I'm a bit unsure as to what eles may be appropriate for each subspecies.
    Last edited by Fumble Jack; 2014-11-01 at 03:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd say a boost die to perception checks, or two blue dice at long or longer range. As a native cuture known for it's hunting, I'd suggest a 3 cunning (the stat for Survival, Perception, and Deception) but a 1 Inteligence (Knowlege skills, mechanics, and medicine, though be sure to be clear that this represents a lack of education, not a lack of reason)

As for the mystic clan, I would argue that this is one of the many examples in EU of a "force bloodline", and allow him to choose a Force and Destiny (non-saber) carear, with native access to the Forsee, Sence, and possibly Misdirect, Heal and Seek force powers. (that is, he knows from his native legends that these powers are in his blood, he just needs to figure them out... just like any jedi knows they can block blaster bolts and throw large rocks with their minds)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    I'd say a boost die to perception checks, or two blue dice at long or longer range. As a native cuture known for it's hunting, I'd suggest a 3 cunning (the stat for Survival, Perception, and Deception) but a 1 Inteligence (Knowlege skills, mechanics, and medicine, though be sure to be clear that this represents a lack of education, not a lack of reason)

As for the mystic clan, I would argue that this is one of the many examples in EU of a "force bloodline", and allow him to choose a Force and Destiny (non-saber) carear, with native access to the Forsee, Sence, and possibly Misdirect, Heal and Seek force powers. (that is, he knows from his native legends that these powers are in his blood, he just needs to figure them out... just like any jedi knows they can block blaster bolts and throw large rocks with their minds)
    Makes sense, though I don't have access to Force & Destiny atm, but hopefully that can be rectified before our game day.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Managed to snag a copy of the F&D book & a third set of Edge dice(lucky purchase there) from my FLGS. Skimming through it I might say the concept falls between mystic or healer. However I'll go through it more thoroughly.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Night vision: remove 1 setback die with Perceptions die pools due to darkness related penalties can add a boost die for visual perception checks during the day.
    Gain 1 rank in Stealth and Survival but cannot increase this beyond 2 at the start of the game.

Being very spiritual they have the capacity to be Force Sensitive specifically the Force Emergent from Age of Rebellion which has all of the force powers mentioned. It will still cost them 20xp to do so but having access to members of their tribe would make it easier for them to train and learn to become force sensitive due to their strong heritage.

Probably not what you want but I figured I'd try, sounded like they might have a Brawn of 3 but given this is the spiritual side maybe Willpower or Cunning instead?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Night vision: remove 1 setback die with Perceptions die pools due to darkness related penalties can add a boost die for visual perception checks during the day.
    Gain 1 rank in Stealth and Survival but cannot increase this beyond 2 at the start of the game.

Being very spiritual they have the capacity to be Force Sensitive specifically the Force Emergent from Age of Rebellion which has all of the force powers mentioned. It will still cost them 20xp to do so but having access to members of their tribe would make it easier for them to train and learn to become force sensitive due to their strong heritage.

Probably not what you want but I figured I'd try, sounded like they might have a Brawn of 3 but given this is the spiritual side maybe Willpower or Cunning instead?
    Hmm I don't want to end up giving them two boosts in two separate attributes. I don't think there's a species that has two 3's in their beginning stats. The night vision I can see. I agree with the ranks of stealth and survival at 1 for the species as a whole.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ended up going with the 3 cunning 1 intellect stats, the boost to perception, rank in stealth and survival and claws ability. Player chose to take Mystic: Seer with another career spec in Fringer, to show their adventurous side.

Thank you for the help and suggestions everyone

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah, I was looking for those. Thanks.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

I am so looking forward to Fly Casual... :)
    What doesn't kill you makes you... stranger.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by zilvar View Post
    Ah, I was looking for those. Thanks.
    No problem. It's been fairly helpful for my group

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I really like that we're a general thread. I'm curious my fellow Edge/Age/F&D players/GM's what have been your moments in the games?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I really like that we're a general thread. I'm curious my fellow Edge/Age/F&D players/GM's what have been your moments in the games?
    I wish we would have started playing. We got through a couple sessions of the beginner box but everything kinda fell through after that. What we really need is a DM because I don't want to do it lol.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

When the party was ambushed by cybernexu (in the Beyond the Rim adventure) the beasts ripped apart the party's gun bunny before the party ever got to go... and then the party's Force user maxxed his force dice, picked up the monsters and thew them into each other, taking out all of them.

Very much an "what do we do now, run?" into a "THAT WAS AWESOME!" moment.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-11-23 at 10:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

When the party was ambushed by cybernexu (in the Beyond the Rim adventure) the beasts ripped apart the party's gun bunny before the party ever got to go... and then the party's Force user maxxed his force dice, picked up the monsters and thew them into each other, taking out all of them.

Very much an "what do we do now, run?" into a "THAT WAS AWESOME!" moment.
    Heh that is pretty awesome.

@ Invader. As someone who has been on one side of the Dm/Gm/St/ etc.. screen far too often, I can relate to wanting to be a player again.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

I've tried running here on the forums a few times, but the AoR game fell apart at the self-guided "You're a cell- what do you want to do to piss of the imperials" and the F&D game fell apart after the first "paladin screwjob." (Morality or the mission?)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've tried running here on the forums a few times, but the AoR game fell apart at the self-guided "You're a cell- what do you want to do to piss of the imperials" and the F&D game fell apart after the first "paladin screwjob." (Morality or the mission?)
    Sorry to hear. I'm a bit curious about how the details of the second instance went down.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

It was a Clone Wars game, with brand new Jedi "Generals" (high starting XP, but it wasnt very broadly spent) being sent to protect a minor hyperlane in the corellian sector under sepratist threat.

They emerge into the Corellia system to get local information, to see Sepratist scout ships pursuing a freighter. the Corellian Fleet Commad, meanwhile, orders them to stand off- the fleet needs to get into position, to catch the scout ships before they flee and report to Grevius. Save the freighter, or stand by and let the Fleet carry through their plan, at the cost of civilian life?