New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Erfworld thread IV: In memory of King Saline

Did Xin ever even have the opportunity to draw Vinny during her run in the story? I don't think she did.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Ugh. I'm sure the wording of the contract will turn out to be important at some point, but I just can't be arsed to read through it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    +1. Legalese doesn't have much appeal on me.
    Any fool would know that they're gonna get screwed by that deal. Bad Comic! No cookie!
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Well, narratively I would assume we will see some of the clauses of the contract come up -- otherwise, why give us all this detail on them?
    Indeed.

Though it might be that this whole thing is playing with our expectations, and it is actually going to be Parson who takes advantage of this thing. Especially since none of the penalties would actually be all that terrible for GK - certainly nothing they would want to suffer, but it wouldn't seriously impede them - while the breach of the confidentiality penalty would completely devastate Charlie (making him lose his only city).

Also, I wonder if this "hand over half treasury or 5,000,000 Schmuckers, whichever is lower"-penalty is an indication that Charlie's treasury significantly exceeds 10,000,000 Schmuckers (which, given the numbers we've seen otherwise throughout the story, would be incredible).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that's absurd although I can see why. Since we know Charlie spends more than 120,000 and less than 300,000 schmuckers per turn on Archons alone, not including his 700 golems and whatever other incidental expenditures (caster hiring, bounties, ect.), he has to have a vast treasury. Especially since we've seen no indication of the lean season he's being suffering thanks to Royalist propaganda stopping him from actively pursuing a lot of goals with no immediate monetary gain.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

While the breach of confidentiality penalty would be a lot less serious for Gobwin Knob than for Charlie, it's still pretty significant - Charlie would get to choose which city, and we have no idea what contractual transfer of a city might do for/to any units inside that city.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2014-11-11 at 03:05 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Banned

It could just be filler. I agree that it will probably be relevant at some point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Did Xin ever even have the opportunity to draw Vinny during her run in the story? I don't think she did.
    I don't think so.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the point of the confidentiality agreement? On the one hand it kind of makes sense that Charlie can't tell FAQ they have relative impunity to be jerks to Gobwin Knob for 30 turns, but it doesn't really read like that's the intent to me. I wonder if Charlie sticks that in every contract so that when it does serve a purpose people can't get significant information from the statement "Got a deal with Charlie. Can't talk details".

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Vinny was last seen in Book1_139,
    and last heard of in Book1_Intermission_37

Xin started drawing at the begin of book 2.

Book 2 had most of its action in Spacerock, Thinkspace and MK, and a few bits in GK and with Transylvito spying on the action.

Vinny was sitting in FAQ during that whole time, and that picture is already from the new artist.
    Last edited by hajo; 2014-11-12 at 06:15 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    What is the point of the confidentiality agreement? On the one hand it kind of makes sense that Charlie can't tell FAQ they have relative impunity to be jerks to Gobwin Knob for 30 turns, but it doesn't really read like that's the intent to me.
    Hmm. That agreement also means units of Gobwin Knob can't disclose to FAQ the lengths to which Charlie went to keep Jillian alive.

And the part of the contract about FAQ and Jillian only restricts Gobwin Knob units, not Charlie or Charlescomm. And Charlie says he's protecting Jillian because of a contractual obligation. And there's some aspect of Wanda's NDA that Jack doesn't know about, presumably meaning Wanda has an agreement with Charlie that Jack doesn't know about. And Charlie went as far as wiping Jillian's knowledge of him from her mind at the end of the prequel book. And there's a weird exchange in one of the text updates suggesting Charlie is concerned about Wanda.

I'm thinking there's some type of contract between Charlie and Wanda centered around Jillian, which Jillian herself is unaware of.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Hmm. That agreement also means units of Gobwin Knob can't disclose to FAQ the lengths to which Charlie went to keep Jillian alive.

And the part of the contract about FAQ and Jillian only restricts Gobwin Knob units, not Charlie or Charlescomm. And Charlie says he's protecting Jillian because of a contractual obligation. And there's some aspect of Wanda's NDA that Jack doesn't know about, presumably meaning Wanda has an agreement with Charlie that Jack doesn't know about. And Charlie went as far as wiping Jillian's knowledge of him from her mind at the end of the prequel book. And there's a weird exchange in one of the text updates suggesting Charlie is concerned about Wanda.

I'm thinking there's some type of contract between Charlie and Wanda centered around Jillian, which Jillian herself is unaware of.
    Ooh, this sounds plausible. The weird exchange is because Charlie is concerned about parson, but doesn't want to tell Jillian about him.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2014-11-13 at 12:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401

New one is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Jack croaked me." Decrypting has a way of making awkward conversations with your murderer less awkward.

On the other hand, Jack, Wanda and Ansom are casting each other mighty fishy looks.

Also, Parson just gained 20 pounds back and has a different face.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    New one is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Jack croaked me." Decrypting has a way of making awkward conversations with your murderer less awkward.

On the other hand, Jack, Wanda and Ansom are casting each other mighty fishy looks.

Also, Parson just gained 20 pounds back and has a different face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He just has is armor on now. Before that was his tshirt.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    He just has is armor on now. Before that was his tshirt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're right that shirt vs armor makes a difference. It's not just body, though--his face looks more rotund to me in panels 3 and 4.

But I was really just making an unnecessarily snarky dig at consistency in the art. Look what happens to Ace's nose between panels 3 and 4.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Art issues aside, Parson and Stanley have finely found somethig to bond over. I really like that.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Grand strategy, eh? I'm curious to see if also Parson knows how to exploit a contract...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #406

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grand strategy, eh? I'm curious to see if also Parson knows how to exploit a contract...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I should hope he does, because I'd be shocked if Charlie didn't try to pull something here.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Art issues aside, Parson and Stanley have finely found somethig to bond over. I really like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have been saying forever that Stanley and Parson will end up being the best of Buddies by the end of this through some real fun Character growth through Stanley.

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have been saying forever that Stanley and Parson will end up being the best of Buddies by the end of this through some real fun Character growth through Stanley.
    I've quite enjoyed Stanley's character growth, too, and we've had great evidence that he's made a conscious effort to change--including his effort to learn his underlings' names. I think that's only part of the story when we consider his changing behavior, though.

It's worth noting that Stanley was incredibly stressed throughout Book 1, when we also saw his jerkiest behavior. His position has been relatively secure since then. I wonder if his growth will backslide if/when he gets put under similar long-term stress. (I wouldn't count something like his recent scuffle with Jillian; Stanley likes fighting, which is a very different sort of stress than inevitably losing all your cities one by one.)

((Arguing against the idea that Stanley will backslide: when things got iffy towards the end of Book 2, Stanley did get grouchy, but he went out of his way to help Parson with the capital relocation in the end.))

Also, some of the increasing trust he puts in Parson has been/will be due to his fear of things becoming "All Wanda All the Time" again. Look at that room he's in--of the nine characters present, five of them are either Wanda or decrypted.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-11-15 at 10:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, IMO nobody with half a brain trusts Wanda fully.

I would trust Charlie more than Wanda.

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Well, IMO nobody with half a brain trusts Wanda fully.

I would trust Charlie more than Wanda.
    How much does Jack trust Wanda, do you think? (That's not a rhetorical question.)

Also: in Stanley's case, I think not trusting Wanda is part of the problem, but so is the feeling like she's more important than him on his own side.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-11-14 at 09:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Seeing as he is Decrypted i doubt it matters unless something breaks the connection to the pliers like Ossomer did.

However I am not sure jack has an attachment that powerful.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if strategy time includes obtaining new natural allies, or if Parson will consider them too great a security risk after what Charlie just pulled.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems Ansom doesn't enjoy the story about how his father got murdered in the family throne room as much as the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    It seems Ansom doesn't enjoy the story about how his father got murdered in the family throne room as much as the others.
    Meanwhile, Ace seems positively happy to report that Jack killed him here. I think he's enjoying working for Parson more than he did working for Slately.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Meanwhile, Ace seems positively happy to report that Jack killed him here. I think he's enjoying working for Parson more than he did working for Slately.
    I should imagine so, his love of making 'real' use of dollamancy is practically tailor-made for Parson to employ.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Yewch, I still can't stand the new art. I keep reading because I'm interested where the story will go, but the new artist isn't getting better.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Lets hope for some art evolution to come along. Even the great Penny Arcade started off looking like crap before Mike Krahulik (Gabe) really found his stride.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Lets hope for some art evolution to come along. Even the great Penny Arcade started off looking like crap before Mike Krahulik (Gabe) really found his stride.
    And now it looks like crap again because he doesn't care about it anymore, the other PA projects are more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

29. - Top - End - #419
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I think it's also the fact that Wanda is glaring at him. There's still a lot of tension there.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

I do wish the art style weren't quite so minimal. Scenes like the Ansom-Wanda aside really leave me grasping. There's a couple of possible explanations for what's happening there, but the expressions and body language are so vague we're left guessing.