New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Urban Fantasy Edition

1. Siggy has basic competence with electronics.

2. We both do the same thing, cashiers at the gas station.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Choice 1
    >(Siggy actually has extensive technological acumen.)

Choice 2
    >I move dead bodies for a living. Siggy is a clerk at the medical examiner's office that I have to drag the suspicious or especially soupy ones to.

-Edit
    Spoiler: Addition to Choice 1
    Show
    I'd like to suggest that for Siggy, whatever job he has is a front. His real work is decidedly less than legal (he's a hacker).
    Last edited by Visivicous; 2014-11-16 at 09:29 AM.
    "They're chasing a rabbit around...I'm surrounded by large, unhappy dogs." - some angel

"I counter your competence with my ineptitude..." - random idiot

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Choice 1
    >(Siggy actually just has basic competence with the standard tech of the day. The main character has mistaken his ability to use Google and operate a USB port as something exceptional.)

Choice 2
    >I teach a few classes at the local university. Siggy is a full-time professor there.

4. - Top - End - #64

DwarfBarbarianGuy

>(Siggy actually has extensive technological acumen.)

>I teach a few classes at the local university. Siggy is a full-time professor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Choice 1
    >(Siggy actually just has basic competence with the standard tech of the day. The main character has mistaken his ability to use Google and operate a USB port as something exceptional.)

Choice 2
    >Moves dead bodys for a living at a university, Siggy is a professor

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everyone is choosing between the morgue or the university and I thought why not both?

6. - Top - End - #66

ElfPirate

Ziggy IS a tech wizard.

M.E.'s office.
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

You move dead bodies for a living. This profession is not wholly unrelated to your first encounter with a vampire, but that's a story for another time.

Walking several blocks, far enough to clear the tenements and urban decay of the once-thriving neighborhoods bordering a now defunct industrial park - the 'bad side of town' - you reach the parking garage where your ride resides.

Choice 1
    >I have an old pickup truck. Big, solid, built like a tank. It'd win a head-on collision with most things on the road.
    >I have a motorcycle. I attach a spacious side-car for hauling cadavers on the job.
    >I have a classic muscle car. Vroom vroom 'Murica.
    >I have a tiny economy car. Have you seen the price of gas?
    >I have a station wagon. When I'm not moving corpses, or fighting moving corpses, I'm taking the kids to school, or football practice, or piano recitals, or whatever; I need the space.

About 45 minutes later, you reach the Medical Examiner's Office on the opposite side of town. Little perfectly manicured hedges frame an immaculately white, sterile-looking building with lots of glass, its silhouette made a bit less imposing by the other, much larger structures of the medical district that loom on all sides. The sun is up by this point, and a few cars are already parked in the lot.

As you enter the building, a squat, elderly man with a few wisps of bright white hair, wearing a security uniform, greets you from his little desk which, in addition to the metal detector, spans the entire hallway. You idly wonder if these sorts of checkpoints in the city's municipal buildings, seemingly always manned by someone older than the sun, have ever stopped a person from committing a nefarious act. You stick your keys, belt, knife, and amulet in a little plastic box, walk through the detector, wave your clearance card at the guard, retrieve your things and continue on.

Choice 2
    >Except my knife. I'm not supposed to bring that inside, so I leave it at the checkpoint.
    >The guard is never paying attention, and it's not like I plan to stab anyone.

Further inside, you reach a long white desk set into the wall, a row of not-quite-modern-looking computer monitors poking up from the far edge. Your buddy Siggy sits in a black swivel chair on the other side, his feet up, a paperback novel in his hands. He's a skeletally thin caucasian man, a little over six feet tall, late-twenties with his light brown hair already balding. He didn't shave today. His white collared shirt and tie are pristine, and his slacks are ironed.

The two of you greet one another and make a suitably polite amount of small-talk. The weather sure is the way that it is. Our local sports team sported pretty hard a few days ago. Quickly, you maneuver the conversation towards your intended destination. "Can I use your phone for a few minutes? I need to get some information off this card. It's kind of important." Of course, he starts to ask some uncomfortable questions with 'where' and 'why' and 'who' in them.

Choice 3
    >(Tell the truth.)
    >(Lie.)
    >(Offer no explanation. Just bully him into helping.)
    >(Offer no explanation. Just sweet-talk him.)
    Last edited by Xefas; 2014-11-16 at 04:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

ElfPirate

>I have an old pickup truck. Big, solid, built like a tank. It'd win a head-on collision with most things on the road.

>(Tell the truth.)
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Choice 1
    >I have a tiny economy car. Have you seen the price of gas?

Choice 2
    >Except my knife. I'm not supposed to bring that inside, so I leave it at the checkpoint.

Choice 3
    >(Tell the truth.)
    Them's ma choices.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlek Flamehai View Post

>(Tell the truth.)
    I'll second this.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3
    >(Tell the truth.)

Can I suggest that we've made Siggy aware of what we do, but he doesn't believe it? Like, he thinks we're either delusional or get into some kind of bad drugs, but he still humors us.

Also, we really need to vote on a gender or a name or something. Using the 1st person plural for the main character is just weird, even if he/she is a conglomeration of our own individual wills.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

12. - Top - End - #72

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3
    >(Tell the truth.)

Can I suggest that we've made Siggy aware of what we do, but he doesn't believe it? Like, he thinks we're either delusional or get into some kind of bad drugs, but he still humors us.

Also, we really need to vote on a gender or a name or something. Using the 1st person plural for the main character is just weird, even if he/she is a conglomeration of our own individual wills.

this earns mah +1.

can I vote "Her" now?
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    this earns mah +1.

can I vote "Her" now?
    Likewise, on both counts.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Choice 1
    Old pickup truck

Choice 2
    The guard never pays attention, and I never go anywhere unarmed.

Choice 3
    Half truths and lies of omission. Give him enough to give him an idea and stop him from prying, but not enough to risk his own safety.

Edit: Also voting 'he', but i like the use of 'you' when narrating.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2014-11-16 at 08:24 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

I'll vote "him", just to be contrary. I'm fine with either, though.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Character Sheet
    Spoiler
    Show

High Concept: Part-Time Vampire Hunter
    Other Aspects: Justice Be Done; Luddite

Skills
    Good With Melee Weapons (including throwing them)
    Good At Investigation

Equipment
    Wallet (No Cash)
    Keys
    Bowie Knife
    Ostensibly Worthless Amulet (Slightly Broken)

Other Possessions
    Big Ol' Pickup Truck

"I've picked up knife-fighting vampires as a hobby. One knocked me out last night, and I have reason to believe they've kidnapped someone to turn into their evil hellspawn. I found this broken cellphone near the scene, and it's the best lead I've got. If I can find an address or something, I'm going to go bust down the door like a big damn hero and save the day."

Siggy sets his book down, picks up his mug of steaming coffee, sips from it a few times, puts it back down, raises an eyebrow, and then slides his phone across the counter. "If you can't tell me, you can't tell me. I just hope it's nothing illegal." You pick up the phone, and begin searching its surface for the elusive card slot you need. As you do, he adds "And, uh, I'd be careful talking about stuff like that around here. I know you're joking, but rumor is that one of the examiners got the ol' 'indefinite leave of absence without pay' a few months back. Filed a report about a body being brought in that wasn't human. Wouldn't let it go even when they sent him to the shrinks. The job's pretty morbid; I guess it finally got to him."

You smile and nod, then take a few steps away to give the proper social cue that the conversation has concluded for now. Siggy picks his book back up and continues reading.

The SIM card finally fits into one of the phone's slots. You swear that you'd tried that one a half dozen times already. Regardless, you turn the phone on and search around the menus until you find the list of text messages. Searching through them, you discover several conversations. Most of them are of a personal nature, without divulging anything of interest, including a shockingly banal one with, if the contact information is indeed true, the vampire's (presumably mortal) mother. It's sort of odd reading about a vampire making holiday plans with their parents.

One stands out, however. It's the only conversation in which the contact is left anonymous. The incoming messages are short - simply a date, time, and street intersection each. The most recent message was sent a few days prior and contains today's date, along with an intersection downtown, and a time for about four hours from now.

Choice 1
    >I should head to the location sent by that anonymous contact. Chances are that the vampire will keep his appointment. It means I'm sitting on my hands for a few hours, but it's the most solid option.
    >I'll send a text message to one of the vampire's friends and try to discreetly get them to divulge where they are, then find them and interrogate them about the vampire's whereabouts.
    >I'll send a text message to the vampire's mom, asking her to remind me what her address is because I want to mail her something, then show up at her house and interrogate her.

Choice 2
    >And, on the way, I'll stop for breakfast. I'm starving.
    >Time is of the essence. Maybe I'll just drive through a fast-food joint.
    >Justice has no time for flapjacks and coffee. The hunt is on.

Choice 2
    >Also, and this is sort of a random thought, but I have a Y chromosome. A giant, throbbing Y chromosome.
    >Also, I suddenly feel like my lack of a Y chromosome is somehow relevant to the situation.

Spoiler
    Show

There, you all can have a gender now. Happy?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Choice 1:
    > I should head to that location sent by the anonymous contact.

Choice 2:
    > Justice has no time for flapjacks and coffee. The hunt is on.

Choice 3:
    >I have a Y chromosome.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Choice 1
    >I should head to the location sent by that anonymous contact. Chances are that the vampire will keep his appointment. It means I'm sitting on my hands for a few hours, but it's the most solid option.

Too much risk in texting someone the vampire knows. They might realize it's not him and warn him off.

Choice 2

Choice 3
    >Also, I suddenly feel like my lack of a Y chromosome is somehow relevant to the situation.

Show
    I think that was the best possible way to phrase the gender question
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    Choice 1:
    > I should head to that location sent by the anonymous contact.

Choice 2:
    > Justice has no time for flapjacks and coffee. The hunt is on.

Choice 3:
    >I have a Y chromosome.
    Seconded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there someone who isn't voting for our Hero to have the same gender as themselves?
    Last edited by GorinichSerpant; 2014-11-16 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Double Posting is Bad

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is there someone who isn't voting for our Hero to have the same gender as themselves?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I did. I think making our Hero a female character would be interesting, and maybe not quite so Dresden-Files-y.

-----

21. - Top - End - #81

DwarfBarbarianGuy

>I'll send a text message to one of the vampire's friends and try to discreetly get them to divulge where they are, then find them and interrogate them about the vampire's whereabouts.

>Time is of the essence. Maybe I'll just drive through a fast-food joint.

>Also, and this is sort of a random thought, but I have a Y chromosome. A giant, throbbing Y chromosome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

>head to the meetup

>fast food

>no Y chromosome
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Choice 1

Choice 2
    >Time is of the essence. I heard that little mom and pop place has good, fresh bagel sandwiches. I'm pretty sure it's on the way.

Choice 2

24. - Top - End - #84

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Liodre View Post
    Choice 1

Choice 2
    >Time is of the essence. I heard that little mom and pop place has good, fresh bagel sandwiches. I'm pretty sure it's on the way.

Choice 2
    +1, cant pass up that little mom and pop shop.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liodre View Post
    Choice 2
    Changing my vote from fast food to support this.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

Would you mind if I stole this format? It actually looks a lot of fun as a writing exercise.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Choice 1

Too much risk in texting someone the vampire knows. They might realize it's not him and warn him off.

Choice 2

Choice 3

Show
    I think that was the best possible way to phrase the gender question
    All of this, please.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh yeah, also breakfast and no Y chromosome.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #89

ElfPirate

Location sent by anonymous

Breakfast. A nice greasy diner, no bagels...those are just imitation donuts that failed.

Throbbing Y chromosome. Anita Blake we ain't.

30. - Top - End - #90

Choice 1
    > Head to the location already sent.

Choice 2
    > Pick up fast food.

Choice 3
    > I have a Y chromosome, and I'm a girl. Because these things are not mutually independent.

Show
    We need more trans protagonists!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)