New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    ^ F/Apoc is silly fanfiction and I disbelieve it.

I reconsidered. If I'm ever teleported into Nasuverse for a Grail War, I'm going to attempt summoning Assassin Tohno.
    Out of that bunch, I'd go with Ryougi Shiki myself. They both have some potentially problematic aspects in their personalities (the 無-personality for Ryougi, the Nanaya for Tohno), but Ryougi's MEDP are specifically stated to shine against the supernatural (such as servants, noble phantasms, magecraft, etc.) and she lacks the drawback Tohno's have, and she's apparently quasi-omnipotent in her 無-personality. Though of course, if we call Satsujinki, that'd be a moot point and that'd also be absolutely horrifying.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

Archer: simo hayha
    Assassin: nameless ninja
    Berserker: Musashi Miyamoto
    Caster: Rasputin
    Lancer: Joan of Arc
    Rider: Guan Yu
    Saber: Sigurd/Sigfried

I'm still trying to figure out noble phantasms, some are obvious but other require creativity. I really like the idea of Musashi's being a reality marble called Skill, that takes you to a beach at sunrise that is basically an anti magic field.
    Last edited by chainer1216; 2015-02-21 at 08:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Isn't that an exclusive problem to Shirou caused by how badly he sucks at anything magical that doesn't involve buffing himself or making swords out of thin air?
    Eh, I'm pretty sure Gilgamesh also had to kill children to buff himself up. Plus, if you yourself are going into Nasu universe, you have about as much magical power as half of Shirou. The non-magical half.

Dude, that's the pro-est of all pros. One of his noble phantasms could be a thundercloud made of pigeons.
    I'm just saying, they could lure him with assassin dressed as a pigeon, if they found about him.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

ARE YOU INSANE!?!?

Granted, his whole solipsistic spiel might make him even harder to deal with than Blondie...
    ...I'm not sure which is scarier, the incredible amount of sense this makes in a twisted sort of way, or the thought of Vino with any kind of actual weapon.
    Heh heh heh heh...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm pretty sure I picked Scheherazade as my caster last time this came up on this forum.

Most fictional characters would be too weak, but saying Kojiro is fictional but Lancelot isn't was always silly.

Susano'o is probably the most powerful Japanese servant, since he's about the only member of the pantheon you can get away with as a hero rather than a god in a Heracles sort of way. The imperial regalia Kusanagi would even be a viable summoning catalyst.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Why Scheherazade as Caster and not say - Merlin? Sure he might switch your gender and make you a king of Britain, but there are worse stuff to be expected from Casters.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I'm pretty sure I picked Scheherazade as my caster last time this came up on this forum.

Most fictional characters would be too weak, but saying Kojiro is fictional but Lancelot isn't was always silly.

Susano'o is probably the most powerful Japanese servant, since he's about the only member of the pantheon you can get away with as a hero rather than a god in a Heracles sort of way. The imperial regalia Kusanagi would even be a viable summoning catalyst.
    Extra backdoored Amaterasu in with an incarnation, but that's Extra, where the power levels are made up and only grinding matters. She did have a version of the Imperial Mirror, at least.

It'd be interesting to see if you could get Izanami (or for that matter, Osiris or Odin) in there as gods who have nonetheless "died".

Oh, this also reminds me. I once played a version of Nyarlathotep in a Fate/Stay RP, on the same theory as Extra Caster - he was specifically one incarnation of the Crawling Chaos, namely the Black Pharaoh Nephren-Ka. Very limited compared to the "real" Nyarly, but still a big threat.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-02-21 at 09:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Out of that bunch, I'd go with Ryougi Shiki myself. They both have some potentially problematic aspects in their personalities (the 無-personality for Ryougi, the Nanaya for Tohno), but Ryougi's MEDP are specifically stated to shine against the supernatural (such as servants, noble phantasms, magecraft, etc.) and she lacks the drawback Tohno's have, and she's apparently quasi-omnipotent in her 無-personality. Though of course, if we call Satsujinki, that'd be a moot point and that'd also be absolutely horrifying.
    Ooh, you know what just occurred to me? Piercing a servant's death spot would probably keep them from returning to the Grail (due to their being straight-up gone rather than just "dead"), which means you get to yell "NO ROOT FOR YOU!" at any poor saps hoping to use the War for its intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Why Scheherazade as Caster and not say - Merlin? Sure he might switch your gender and make you a king of Britain, but there are worse stuff to be expected from Casters.
    Merlin would definitely be my first choice if I had to go Caster for some reason (provided that I'm wrong about Wukong qualifying, of course), but that's a big if. Personally the full extent of my concern as to my hypothetical servant's class is "Please not Berserker, I am so far from prepared to deal with that."
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of, what about summoning Jesus? I find it ironic to summon a Church figure to fight for a vessel that is supposedly his drinking cup.

Personally, I think most prudent choice is summoning Cuchulain in Berserker mode and making sure you don't look threatening to him. If myths are true, he had some kind warpy, head-goes-boom power when super angry. Let him loose, watch blood-fire-works.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    It'd be interesting to see if you could get Izanami (or for that matter, Osiris or Odin) in there as gods who have nonetheless "died".
    If you just wanted to win you'd summon Rama as an Archer. Massive cult, avatar of a supreme god etc. Unless ascending to a higher plane of existence doesn't count as dying properly.

I'm not sure Odin is that good in a fight. If Medusa is summonable, then just summon Fenris as a Berserker and be invincible.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #191

If you just wanted to win you'd summon Rama as an Archer. Massive cult, avatar of a supreme god etc. Unless ascending to a higher plane of existence doesn't count as dying properly.

I'm not sure Odin is that good in a fight. If Medusa is summonable, then just summon Fenris as a Berserker and be invincible.
    Rama would probably be the most broken Servant ever. Especially if each one of the divine weapons he can invoke is a separate Noble Phantasm. But he runs into the same problem as Arthur, as he's probably the most recognizable Hindu hero.

Karna as an Archer is also a solid choice. He might also qualify for Rider, depending on how you view things.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of, what about summoning Jesus? I find it ironic to summon a Church figure to fight for a vessel that is supposedly his drinking cup.
    The Grail can't summon gods.

Personally, I think most prudent choice is summoning Cuchulain in Berserker mode and making sure you don't look threatening to him. If myths are true, he had some kind warpy, head-goes-boom power when super angry. Let him loose, watch blood-fire-works.
    Cú Chullain had a thing about never targeting women while enraged unless they were his enemies, so a female Master should be safe enough. Also apparently he's massively nerfed by being summoned in Japan, since he's not well known there - he'd get a ton of extra powers if summoned in Ireland (including "a chariot, a castle, and Blessing of Wakefulness").
    Spoiler: Fate/hollow ataraxia spoilers
    Show
    Come to think of it, it's possible that Bazett was trying to summon him as Berserker, but failed since the Einzberns had already summoned Hercules ahead of schedule. Her luck is even worse than his...
    Last edited by Prime32; 2015-02-22 at 09:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Show
    Tell that to Avenger

Also Jesus isn't God, but a part of him, no?

I still think it would be hillarious to say. Hey, Josh, remember that cup you drank from? I kinda need it - for stuff.

Show
    Come to think of it, it's possible that Bazett was trying to summon him as Berserker, but failed since the Einzberns had already summoned Hercules ahead of schedule. Her luck is even worse than his...
    Show
    Doubt it, she wanted to show him at his best and let him kick some ass in name for Ireland. I don't think looking like a mad hellmanbeast, would be what she wanted. I wonder what would have happened if current Grail had Bazzet/Lancer. Lancer had a weak spot for females and she could use the excuse to *ahem*FILL UP HIS PRANA. She wouldn't even need a command seal to loosen him up.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-02-22 at 10:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

So I ended up trawling the Type-Moon wiki for a while last night and came across this tidbit:

Quote Originally Posted by Word of Nasu
    Within the Fuyuki Holy Grail War system, there is a rule making only the summoning of Western Heroic Spirits possible due to the Holy Grail being a Western, Christian, concept and that the summoning system was created in the world of Western magi. Sasaki Kojiro of the Fifth Holy Grail War is a complete aberration in many ways. Other systems like the Moon Cell Holy Grail War have no such restrictions.
    No word that I could find on how Archer gets a pass.

ANYWAYS, feel free to ignore that rule if you wish despite my mistakenly specifying Fuyuki as the default venue, but supposing that I was to be forced to abide by it (*grumble grumble*):

1. Enkidu
    2. Siegfried
    3. Achilles
    4. Alexander
    5. Merlin

...Actually, any chance that Sun Wukong would get a pass because DBZ?

(In case you haven't noticed, I'm playing to win. Can't say I'm a fan of the whole "Conscripted into a deadly battle royale" thing, you see, so like hell if I'm not going to go all in on not getting bit by the "deadly" part.)

Also Jesus isn't God, but a part of him, no?
    I'd have to check what the Nasuverse take on that is, my wiki-walking didn't take me in that direction.

*briefly checks*

Nothing that I could find, though the franchise's copious use of Clap Your Hands if You Believe definitely makes me lean more towards divine spirit than heroic spirit.

----------

Speaking of all the Type-Moon Wiki-walking I did, what do you think would happen if you shot a servant with the Black Barrel?
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-02-22 at 03:08 PM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

No word that I could find on how Archer gets a pass.
    The rules are more like guidelines. We shouldn't worry overly much about them. Nasu certainly doesn't.
    And if we're gonna be going balls out bull**** OP fictionals from any random source, Lambdadelta would be my choice. She's the least likely of that bunch to screw me over.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

16. - Top - End - #196

And if we're gonna be going balls out bull**** OP fictionals from any random source, Lambdadelta would be my choice. She's the least likely of that bunch to screw me over.
    Lambadelta still leaves the possibility of losing, though. If you really want to go ****ing OP, just take Tatsuya or Kirito. They have the EX-ranked Noble Phantasm of Plot Armor.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Lambadelta still leaves the possibility of losing, though. If you really want to go ****ing OP, just take Tatsuya or Kirito. They have the EX-ranked Noble Phantasm of Plot Armor.
    You do know the prequel was written by Gen Urobuchi, don't you?

18. - Top - End - #198

You do know the prequel was written by Gen Urobuchi, don't you?
    Bah! Onii-sama's powers can overcome even the Urobutcher's.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm still only 3/4 of the way through, but aren't Lambda and Bern hypothetical meta-concepts who exist outside what is laughably called "reality" in the When They Cry series?

Also if plot armor was a viable Heroic Spirit ability, how would Lancelot ever lose a fight?
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-02-23 at 10:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200

Hercules is totally a God, so that's obviously incorrect.

I'm pretty sure Alexander is a god as well, since Rider's obsession with Oceanus makes him clearly the mythological character based around the historical one and not a real person.

Also if plot armor was a viable Heroic Spirit ability, how would Lancelot ever lose a fight?
    I thought the number 1 rule of Fate superpowers is that everyone is theoretically invincible anyway until they actually come into contact with the story.

21. - Top - End - #201

Bah! Onii-sama's powers can overcome even the Urobutcher's.
    I'll second this one. Tatsuya's high speed regeneration by itself is Noble Phantasm grade magic on tier with Avalon. I'm just not sure if he'd be an Archer or Caster. (Loopcast Material Burst. ) I guess he could be an assassin, but Assassin is supposed to have near-bottom tier stats and Tatsuya's only bottom tier stat is his magic construction time, which he doesn't even need because he can simply skip that step.

I just don't think he'd actually make it into the grail system since he doesn't actually have a wish.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm pretty sure Alexander is a god as well, since Rider's obsession with Oceanus makes him clearly the mythological character based around the historical one and not a real person.
    Since the whole series is about myths vs. reality, that seems like nitpicking. It would explain the completely contradictory appearance.

I thought the number 1 rule of Fate superpowers is that everyone is theoretically invincible anyway until they actually come into contact with the story.
    The number 1 rule of Fate is that the rules only exist to be broken for the sake of plot twists.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-02-25 at 11:20 AM. Reason: That was a really random word loss
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Congratulations, you just described his role in Fate/Zero.

Hercules is totally a God, so that's obviously incorrect.

Like half the point of being a heroic spirit is that those sorts of lines mostly stop existing for you in the first place.

I thought the number 1 rule of Fate superpowers is that everyone is theoretically invincible anyway until they actually come into contact with [someone even more theoretically invincible]/[someone theoretically invincible in a very specific way such that it overrides the first person's theoretical invincibility].
    Fixed that for you, or, to elaborate:

Welcome to Fate/insert subtitle here, the franchise where the rules are made up and the power levels don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    I just don't think he'd actually make it into the grail system since he doesn't actually have a wish.
    Not even "For the universe to consistently bend over backwards at least twice as far for my sister as it does for me?" Admittedly almost everything I know about that series I know from TV Tropes.

----------

So anyways, I just had both a great idea and the best idea:

Great Idea:

If Zero-Berserker is as awesome as he is with a NP-ized fighter jet, just imagine the Red Baron as Rider.

The Best Idea:

Prisma Illya as Caster.

The summoning catalyst would be a piece of cake too: a DVD box set of any magical girl show.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

The Best Idea:

Archer Megatron.

Catalyst: Toy gun.
    Fixed......
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

25. - Top - End - #205

Not even "For the universe to consistently bend over backwards at least twice as far for my sister as it does for me?" Admittedly almost everything I know about that series I know from TV Tropes.
    Except that isn't an actual wish of Tatsuya's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Without going into too much detail, his mother's brain-breaking magic that made him a magician basically killed him as a human being, leaving him without any kind of real aspirations that aren't mechanical at best. The only wish worthy of the grail he could actually have would make him not a magician, and he doesn't want that.

So anyways, I just had both a great idea and the best idea:

Great Idea:

If Zero-Berserker is as awesome as he is with a NP-ized fighter jet, just imagine the Red Baron as Rider.
    Summoning Catalyst: A red doghouse.

Noble Phantasm: Reality Marble "Imaginary Front".

Oh wait, you meant the OTHER Red Baron.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

The Best Idea:

Archer Optimus Prime.

Catalyst: Toy gun.
    Fixed......
    Fixed your fix. Evil servants are never a good idea, no, not even then.

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Except that isn't an actual wish of Tatsuya's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Without going into too much detail, his mother's brain-breaking magic that made him a magician basically killed him as a human being, leaving him without any kind of real aspirations that aren't mechanical at best. The only wish worthy of the grail he could actually have would make him not a magician, and he doesn't want that.
    Spoiler: The Special Snowflake at Magic High School
    Show
    According to his TV Tropes page it left him without any aspirations that aren't either (a) mechanical or (b) related to looking after Miyuki, because half the point of doing it in the first place was to make him into the perfect bodyguard for her.

27. - Top - End - #207

Has the start date of the second cour been announced yet? I've heard some people saying April 4th, and some saying April 1st, but I can't remember any of them showing sources.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

Has the start date of the second cour been announced yet? I've heard some people saying April 4th, and some saying April 1st, but I can't remember any of them showing sources.
    Yup, start dates for about half of Spring's shows have been announced. Fate is resuming on 04/04 at 24:00 (UTC+9) on Tokyo MX, BS11, etc. Source. (that's not the original source of course but I didn't feel like daisy chaining through the source list at the bottom to find an official japanese site I couldn't read.)

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Yup, start dates for about half of Spring's shows have been announced. Fate is resuming on 04/04 at 24:00 (UTC+9) on Tokyo MX, BS11, etc. Source. (that's not the original source of course but I didn't feel like daisy chaining through the source list at the bottom to find an official japanese site I couldn't read.)
    Cool, thanks. And as someone who hasn't read the VN, does the pacing pick up in the second half? First cour felt, I dunno, liked it dragged along sometimes.

Spoiler: Off-topic question about avatars
    Show
    Bit of a random question, but I'm curious. Is your avatar from Joshiraku? I watched it recently, and I would swear that that looks just like Marii.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cool, thanks. And as someone who hasn't read the VN, does the pacing pick up in the second half? First cour felt, I dunno, liked it dragged along sometimes.

Spoiler: Off-topic question about avatars
    Show
    Bit of a random question, but I'm curious. Is your avatar from Joshiraku? I watched it recently, and I would swear that that looks just like Marii.
    The second half should have punchier pacing because of what events are left, but with it spread across 13 episodes including at least one more double length episode, I can still think of at least 2 spots where its probably going to drag its feet a little. And I'm still hoping for an interlude with Caster/Kuzuki's backstory from Hollow/Ataraxia. Idk though, I always thought that UBW was the worst structured route, but that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.

Spoiler: Off-topic answer
    Show

Yup, nailed it. It would be even more obvious with a less cropped version of the artwork.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2015-03-04 at 10:36 PM.