New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious, though on the other hand I've seen my share of time travel stories, so I'm no stranger to the whole "paradox someone out of existence" plan. But I did think they called it out--Saber had that one line of "Killing him doesn't mean you'll disappear, because Guardians are outside of time." Which Archer was like, "Well, there's a chance." He doesn't just want to physically kill Shirou, he wants to destroy Shirou's ideal and goals, so that it snuffs out his Heroic Spirit ideal as well. If he martyred Shirou, it would probably make it more likely that Shirou became a Guardian.
    Given what Archer presumably knows by way of Saber about just how much time paradox the Throne can handle, I'm really not sure why he thinks there's any chance of any variation of such a plan working.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Given what Archer presumably knows by way of Saber about just how much time paradox the Throne can handle, I'm really not sure why he thinks there's any chance of any variation of such a plan working.
    Saber has never really been in her own time. I don't think Archer knows of any instances where a hero was summoned to their own time and killed themselves (albeit in a different timeline). I think his plan is actually as sound as it ever gets; it's the only thing in his power that could ever possibly work, so it's not like it would cost him much to try.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I think his plan is actually as sound as it ever gets; it's the only thing in his power that could ever possibly work, so it's not like it would cost him much to try.
    Well, except for the part thay it's actually completely insane.

Wouldn't his bet be to cause a paradox by going into past and helping Kiritsugu stop the grail.

Benefit #1: You save way more people, including yourself.
    Benefit #2: You hang with your dad.
    Benefit #3: You can still kill your younger version.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Archer doesn't get to choose who summons him, though. Kiritsugu didn't have a catalyst for Archer, and he was specifically trying to summon Saber anyway. He only managed to get summoned at all because Rin messed up.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    Archer doesn't get to choose who summons him, though. Kiritsugu didn't have a catalyst for Archer, and he was specifically trying to summon Saber anyway. He only managed to get summoned at all because Rin messed up.
    It's stated that he pretty much wished to be summoned during this Grail war. He should have wished harder for other. Also Rin didn't have Catalyst to summon him, the translation states that Archer had the Catalyst. Rin just summoned him, because he was close to her, when she randomed.

6. - Top - End - #366

That doesn't change anything. Archer wishing harder wouldn't have made Kiritsugu summon him instead of Saber. The circumstances just weren't in place. They were this time, because Rin messed up, had no catalyst to summon a specific Heroic Spirit, and got Archer due to wibbly-wobbly stuff. But no such situation could have occurred in the previous war.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Rin did have a catalyst, even if she didn't realise it. She used the pendant to provide mana for Archer's summoning ritual.

8. - Top - End - #368

Technically it wasn't a catalyst, but yeah, there was still a link between Rin and Archer that allowed for the summoning. He had no such link with anybody in the previous Grail War, and for the most part they summoned specific Heroic Spirits with catalysts.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Technically it wasn't a catalyst, but yeah, there was still a link between Rin and Archer that allowed for the summoning. He had no such link with anybody in the previous Grail War, and for the most part they summoned specific Heroic Spirits with catalysts.
    Plus, wouldn't that mean he'd have to somehow outprioritize Gil?
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

He had no such link with anybody in the previous Grail War, and for the most part they summoned specific Heroic Spirits with catalysts.
    This part is hard to understand. I'm nearly sure he had some keepsake of his father.

11. - Top - End - #371

Hmm, I suppose. But he'd still have to somehow stop the summoning of Saber, for which everything was done correctly, real catalyst and all. And as far as I'm aware there's no precedence for this.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Saber has never really been in her own time. I don't think Archer knows of any instances where a hero was summoned to their own time and killed themselves (albeit in a different timeline). I think his plan is actually as sound as it ever gets; it's the only thing in his power that could ever possibly work, so it's not like it would cost him much to try.
    Saber's wish, were it to be granted, would cause her to have never qualified for heroic spiritdom, which is the same paradox that Archer is banking on. It's known canonically that Saber would nonetheless continue to exist as a heroic spirit after having her wish granted, though now that I think about it I don't know or remember if this is ever stated in FSN or if it's only or side materials or something Nasu said in an interview.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Saber's wish, were it to be granted, would cause her to have never qualified for heroic spiritdom, which is the same paradox that Archer is banking on. It's known canonically that Saber would nonetheless continue to exist as a heroic spirit after having her wish granted, though now that I think about it I don't know or remember if this is ever stated in FSN or if it's only or side materials or something Nasu said in an interview.
    Saber's deal is that she gets transported through time to participate in every Grail War at the moment before her death, and in exchange if she actually obtains the Grail she has to become a Counter Guardian like Archer.
    Saber currently isn't a Heroic Spirit at all. That is, she's not a magical construct with a copy of a hero's personality and abilities - she's the original person, which is why she can't enter spirit form. You can't become a Heroic Spirit of either type until you die.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2015-05-20 at 04:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374

It's not quite the same; Archer is banking on himself being the one to actively kill himself (note how he goes to great lengths to avoid anyone else killing Shiro) to create a double paradox while Saber is merely wishing to remake the selection of the king, through the Grail's power.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 20: Knowing What Adapting Means
    -So they made those terrible episodes to save up all the competence for this one? A regrettable trade but it's better for the overall thingy.
    -I'm shocked they could restrain themselves from adding even more unfitting lolShinji moments.
    -At this point we probably do have enough Emiya remixes.
    -Don't like the new song, it shouldn't play there.
    -Did we really need that many flabbergasted Saber shots?
    -It was the awesomest episode since the first few.
    -Most importantly,
    Spoiler: Fate Zero
    Show
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

16. - Top - End - #376

Hm. Archer uses a European-styled bow and recites in English, while Shirou uses a Japanese-styled bow and recites in Japanese. Clearly Archer is designed to be something a bit foreign in spite of being Emiya (this goes back to the source material, of course; again just something I never really paid attention to before).

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

I do agree that the new song was a bit of a ToneBreaker (get it?), but wow. So this is what stuff has been building up to, huh? Yeah, it delivered. Shirou finally figures out how to fight for something concrete and real. I loved how Archer stripped Shirou's ideals and motivations bare, and challenged him to give a response. That was really cool, and I loved how it resolved both of their characters.

I was sorely wishing to see Shinji get Gae Bolg'd, but what they did instead was even more hilariously fitting. I approve. Dang, Lancer. That was awesome.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Oh, wait, should I have spoilered this initially?
    Show
    Mind screwy speculation time: Was Shirou Archer in the timeline that Archer hails from?
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-05-27 at 04:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mind screwy speculation time: Was Shirou Archer in the timeline that Archer hails from?
    IIRC, Fate stay night shirou becomes archer across all versions, but UBW Shirou will become a different Archer. I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2015-05-26 at 10:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    IIRC, Fate stay night shirou becomes archer across all versions, but UBW Shirou will become a different Archer. I hope that makes sense.
    Spoiler: Servant identity
    Show
    Nope. To quote an interview with Nasu on the subject,
    I’ll just say now that [Shirou] doesn’t become a Heroic Spirit in any of the routes, but the possibility is still present in all of them as well. Basically, the probability of it happening is almost zero.
    The timeline Archer's from is closest to the Fate route, but it isn't quite the same timeline. He won the war with Saber, but then Illya died afterwards, and then bad things happened.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: Technically nothing that hasn't been said outside spoiler blocks but
    Show
    I think Sith's question was whether, in the "route"/possibility from which Archer EMIYA originated, the Archer of the Fifth Holy Grail War was still Archer EMIYA.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-05-27 at 10:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Spoiler: Technically nothing that hasn't been said outside spoiler blocks but
    Show
    I think Sith's question was whether, in the "route"/possibility from which Archer EMIYA originated, the Archer of the Fifth Holy Grail War was still Archer EMIYA.
    Spoiler: Archer
    Show
    Yes, this.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

And now for something completely different, entertained Gil: https://youtu.be/gcsMSmnPZ9c?t=56s
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    Shameless shill:

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    And now for something completely different, entertained Gil: https://youtu.be/gcsMSmnPZ9c?t=56s
    I need a way to extract that laugh with none of the dialogue.

25. - Top - End - #385

Two huge blocks of exposition and explanation is a bit much for a single episode. It needed to be explained, I suppose, but regardless, that was basically a flashback episode.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 21: Back to Mediocre
    Bad pacing was bad and baddened the climactic battle. It should've ended last week, far too much space has been wasted on bloat for two episodes. The adaptation continues to be less than stellar, I think I'm gonna start blaming director for this (I hear that's a popular opinion).

At least Shinji finally won.
    Shameless shill:

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the pacing was weird, but holy big bad monologue--and if there's anyone who gets to monologue, it's Gil.

Also, good riddance Shinji, you will be missed by exactly nobody.

28. - Top - End - #388

I have to say, all the blushing and skipping around doesn't really make sense with this particular version of this scene Also, they're apparently going with the True End since Saber's answer was considered in this episode.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2015-06-06 at 03:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 22: Meh
    There's nothing at all that I'd particularly care to see in this part. UBW has ran its main course, I only need the final battles now. I've seen pics of Last Shinji* too, so I see no reason to not skip this episode. It'll be the only episode I'll have missed.

*Stop playing Dark Souls and finish Tsuki remake you Mushroom jerkwad.
    Shameless shill:

30. - Top - End - #390
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have only one thing to say about this week's episode.

Bwahahaha! Ufotable, you massive gorramn teases. The episode's a cliffhanger, and you went with the mana transfer dolphins.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.