New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 Thread III: Keeping Up With The Karlings

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf167 View Post
    Hello, shameless plug here! In case anyone still has some faith in me, I'm planning to start a new AAR in CK2, theoretically evolving into a mega-campaign. My earlier EU4 games were well-received if ultimately... unlucky. Check out the thread if you're interested.

On topic though, I think the Intrigue focus has taken things a little too far too. It's far too easy to, say, kidnap Charlemagne as a minor count - with no real penalties - and let him rot in your cells while the realm descends into chaos. I'm not so sure about the technical sides of CK2, but it really needs to account for the target's power and position. Or maybe I just tend to get really lucky, I don't know. From what I hear, Seduction is pretty silly too, or at least was - have these been patched recently?
    Supposed to be patched, but still producing a ridiculous amount of children.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf167 View Post
    From what I hear, Seduction is pretty silly too, or at least was - have these been patched recently?
    It's true that Seduction could (and as Grif indicates, still can) lead to absurd amounts of children. However, I find that in a way, Seduction Focus is even more ridiculous on a female ruler. A female ruler obviously isn't going to have nearly as many children as a male ruler can, but attraction bonuses can get downright stupid when they work on 95% or more of her vassals.

Just one single successful seduction can give her a +15 opinion bonus with virtually every vassal that can (in theory) last up to 29 years even if she switches to a different focus. A few more seductions will bump that up to +30. Add the opinion bonuses that build up with the actual target during the seduction process itself, and a few short years is more than enough for a female ruler to become the most highly-regarded liege in history. As the cherry on top, a female ruler can also guarantee that seductions never, ever result in unwanted bastards because she can start them when already pregnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    It's true that Seduction could (and as Grif indicates, still can) lead to absurd amounts of children. However, I find that in a way, Seduction Focus is even more ridiculous on a female ruler. A female ruler obviously isn't going to have nearly as many children as a male ruler can, but attraction bonuses can get downright stupid when they work on 95% or more of her vassals.

Just one single successful seduction can give her a +15 opinion bonus with virtually every vassal that can (in theory) last up to 29 years even if she switches to a different focus. A few more seductions will bump that up to +30. Add the opinion bonuses that build up with the actual target during the seduction process itself, and a few short years is more than enough for a female ruler to become the most highly-regarded liege in history. As the cherry on top, a female ruler can also guarantee that seductions never, ever result in unwanted bastards because she can start them when already pregnant.
    Cersei Lannister up in this house!

4. - Top - End - #754
    Colossus in the Playground

So it's a Catherine the Great mechanic, big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

I'm up to the 1250s, and my character is the King of Eire, Alba, Bleah Breanach Wales, and Andalusia (I was the only one who showed up for a Crusade). Unfortunately, I've started getting the "Unable to save. Do you have enough file space? Do you have invalid characters in the savegame name?" error. I have plenty of HDD space, and this is an Ironman game (although the game says there's an issue with it so I'm not getting achievements any more) so the name must be OK.

None of the options I found online have worked and I don't have it in me to start another game when I'm almost 200 years into this one and finally doing okay.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like the new patch is live and most of the post-DLC bugs fixed. Those interested in the succession game, shall we begin?

7. - Top - End - #757
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sure, let's get this train wreck a rollin'!
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

8. - Top - End - #758
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

If a succession game is starting, I'd like to join. I have all DLCs except Sunset Invasion and Horse Lords.

9. - Top - End - #759

Who's the starting character?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #760

I don't think we made a final decision on who to play, but I found this summation of options Grif put together, quoted below for simplicity:

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Alright, looking through the posts, seems like we have a few popular contenders. I looked some of them up, as well as a few others I thought interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, yes, the Duke of Axum. Jewish, surrounded by Miaphysite powers, and utterly without friends. Plus the looming Sunni threats from Egypt. Oy vey!

The infamous Sunni Duke of Bolghar. Like our Jewish comrade, he's surrounded on all sides by hostile pagans. The upside is that he's probably much more capable of defending himself.

The Count of Itil. Jewish. Vassal of a Tengri Pecheneng Chief. Probably doomed.

The Idrisid Sultanate. Squirrelled between Umayyads and the Ibadi emir to his east, it is also somewhat isolated. Might get a little boring.

Sammanids. Near the mystical realm of Hindustan. Potentially able to expand East or West.

Some suggestions of my own:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The King of Georgia. A small kingdom that's bordering the Byzantine Empire, a couple of Muslim emirs and the Tengris to the north. Not quite an easy start, but promises a lot of opportunity.

Duke Ioannes (John) Kommenos. Father of the historical Emperor Alexios Kommenos. Can we guide his son to the throne of the declining Byzantine Empire?

If we're going back to the 867 starts:
    I have no idea how to pronounce that duchy name (is it Sweden by any chance?), but ole' Ironsides seems like he's in a fun place to play.

Our local Ibadi Emir. While he doesn't seem to start in a particularly precarious situation, there isn't much room for expansion either.

Ah yes, the Miaphysite Duke of Armenia. Like the Georgian King some centuries later, he also stands isolated in the midst of a powerful Byzantine Empire in one direction, and the fractured, but still lethal Abbasids on the other.

EDIT: Bonus content! I found a Fatimid! Do you feel up to the challenge of recreating the Fatimid blob of 1066?

EDIT2: Another bonus content. A large Jewish khanate just to the north of the Caucasus. Seems like he start in a pretty comfortable position.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

Voting anew then? Putting my vote for 867 Fatimid, with the goal of converting to Shia somewhere along the way.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I personally vote for Axum.

13. - Top - End - #763

I too vote 867 Fatimid.

14. - Top - End - #764

I vote 1066 Bolghars.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm loathe to decide a game on so few votes, but it has been quite a while. I'm going to put up the thread within the day, starting with 867 Fatimid if no one else changes their mind/put in new votes.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Firbolg in the Playground

Historical Improvement Project launched its full Horse Lords compatible version, complete with Eastern Expansion SomeWhat More Historical Map mod. Yay Rajasthan! My current game as the Gaznavids may be cut short due to Seljuq hordes. I may have to join them to avoid being crushed while I convert India.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

17. - Top - End - #767

DruidGuy

Started up a game from the Charlie era, just doing a bit of experimenting while planning on where to start for a new game that I want to try a lets play for. Got about 10.5 years in and the world had gotten very strange. The caliphate had pretty much imploded from victorious independence wars. leading to an independent Egypt, a Zoroastrian nation and loosing large parts of the east, and is currently loosing a war to a Shia uprising down near Egypt. Francia did its split and then very rapidly merged again when King Karl died of natural causes at age 20. And then West Francia went on to conquer half of Bavaria and take over all of Italy. Currently the Byzantiums and Franks are battling it out in southern Italy.

I had been planning on starting a game proper but I wonder if I should keep going a little longer and see how this plays out...

18. - Top - End - #768

Have started playing again, it's going rather well. The year is 954. All hail Emperor Hrörekr II the Holy of Gardariki, King of Kings!

specifically, the kings of Volga Bulgaria, Perm, Gardariki and Lithuania. He's young, so with some luck, he'll also be King of Könugardr.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #769
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

For the record, the succession game has started and can be found here.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is there a Chinese Duke in Great Morovia? I don't understand. And he has a huge family, all Peking.

Also I started a game as a pagan right on the boarder of Christianity, what are the chances I can convert before someone tries to conquer me?

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Why is there a Chinese Duke in Great Morovia? I don't understand. And he has a huge family, all Peking.

Also I started a game as a pagan right on the boarder of Christianity, what are the chances I can convert before someone tries to conquer me?
    Chinese Duke? Is Chinese even a culture in CKII?

If you want to convert to Christianity, you can accept a missionary when they send one (which is constantly) or convert in response to a declaration of holy war against you. If you want to convert to something else, you're probably screwed.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

My mistake. They are of Pecheneg culture. Which is located fairly far away from china. I had assumed they were Chinese because they looked out of place, the similarity of Pecheneg to Peking and I thought there would be a Chinese Culture mainly from random events. Although there is still the question: What are they doing in Europe?

Good to know it will be easy to convert, I just hope I can last until my son comes of age and can marry a chieffess.

23. - Top - End - #773

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    My mistake. They are of Pecheneg culture. Which is located fairly far away from china. I had assumed they were Chinese because they looked out of place, the similarity of Pecheneg to Peking and I thought there would be a Chinese Culture mainly from random events. Although there is still the question: What are they doing in Europe?
    Same thing the Magyars are - the Pechenegs were steppe nomads, and a bunch of them decided to settle. The King of Great Moravia starts in a pretty unenviable position - half or more of his lands and vassals are pagans!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh they are good Catholics. Except for the Pecheneg band. Who are Orthodox.

Now the reason I am posting is I have a five year old count in my court. He is my vassal. How can I force him into a betrothal with my five year old daughter? Or can I not do it. Right now I can start a betrothal from his end but it doesn't let me choose my daughter, I could let him out. But then I'm not certain if I could convince his regent to take a matrilineal marriage.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

A few questions on playing as a Muslim in CK2, since I want to try a test run before throwing my hat into the ring in the succession game

1) Marriage. Are marriage alliances still a thing? How bad is the prestige penalty for having fewer than four wives? Oh, and with Way of Life, how important is Chaste in a spouse?
    2) What's a good start location for learning?
    3) I assume the shia/sunni divide is a big deal like it was historically, correct?
    4) Anything else I need to know?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

26. - Top - End - #776

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    A few questions on playing as a Muslim in CK2, since I want to try a test run before throwing my hat into the ring in the succession game

1) Marriage. Are marriage alliances still a thing? How bad is the prestige penalty for having fewer than four wives? Oh, and with Way of Life, how important is Chaste in a spouse?
    2) What's a good start location for learning?
    3) I assume the shia/sunni divide is a big deal like it was historically, correct?
    4) Anything else I need to know?
    1) Marriage alliances are still a thing, but they are not as strict. Prestige penalty hurts a lot if you're small, but is not as big a deal when you're big. Piety is the important thing for Muslims. When you have multiple wives, one of them having chaste doesn't really matter.
    2) Mali in 1066 is often considered Muslim Ireland, one of the Iberian emirates are a good way to see how to deal with Catholics.
    3) Yup. It is indeed a big deal, but the Christian/Muslim divide is wider in CK2.
    4) Piety. Piety piety piety. Get lots and then get more.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

I want to like this game, but even with the graphics settings mostly turned off and India disabled, it's still really slow (max speed is ~1.5 days per second)... and it randomly autosave crashes... and all the other countries get retinues (extra instant army power) but I don't because I haven't paid to win for a DLC.

Any suggestions to improve speed (most important)?
    Campaign Logs:

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I want to like this game, but even with the graphics settings mostly turned off and India disabled, it's still really slow (max speed is ~1.5 days per second)... and it randomly autosave crashes... and all the other countries get retinues (extra instant army power) but I don't because I haven't paid to win for a DLC.

Any suggestions to improve speed (most important)?
    There are mods to turn off terrain and water textures and 3D graphics, to help performance.

Retinues aren't pay-to-win - unless you have a high-tech monster realm there's not that many soldiers in a retinue, and if you do have a high tech monster realm, you have more than enough guys from your vassals. The timespan in which a retinue actually makes a difference is fairly small.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

The AI doesn't use their retinues effectively anyway. Only a player can really take advantage of them.

On the performance front, look up how to remove water and fog of war effects (there's a dll to rename). It won't fix things, but it'll help some.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2015-09-17 at 09:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Water, rivers, and fog are off. There's a mod that reduces terrain textures, but it's not up-to-date with the current patch.

Retinues are the only explanation I can come up with for rebelling vassals always being able to pop up with more armies than an entire nation (demense = in size to vassal, plus levies). An extra 400-800 troops is a big deal in the first 50 years.
    Campaign Logs: