New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: No-Win scenario

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default No-Win scenario

He says that this was his own no-win scenario in his rant, and that his players would be in a no-win scenario in his campaign, so that means he's doing this from where his players would be, right? So, his players would be defending this castle?
    Last edited by dragonseth; 2007-03-30 at 10:30 AM.
    Seth's Signature v2.2 Now with 33% less fat!
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
    Why do people read these things anyway?
    Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to throw in your two cents? Somebody's making a penny here...
    AAA (Amazingly Awesome Avatar) by Bloddyredcommie

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: No-Win scenario

Quote Originally Posted by dragonseth View Post
    He says that this was his own no-win scenario in his rant, and that his players would be in a no-win scenario in his campaign, so that means he's doing this from where his players would be, right? So, his players would be defending this castle?
    Apparently -- it would seem that the people who guessed that the cute and plush side were the ones Parson described as "vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable" called it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Apparently -- it would seem that the people who guessed that the cute and plush side were the ones Parson described as "vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable" called it.
    Not necessarily. He never said that the players would be playing the good side.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    Not necessarily. He never said that the players would be playing the good side.
    He did say they would be in "a desperate final struggle for survival", and now says he was going to put them in "a no-win scenario", which sounds far more applicable to Stanley's side than to Ansom's.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-03-30 at 11:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Doesn't mean that the characters in Parson's game match up with the ones in Erfworld. It's very possible that Ansom is good and Stanley is evil while the besiegers in Parson's game are evil and the besieged are good.

It's the scenario that's the same, not the people.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

It is most likely that Parson's friends would play the defending side. First because it is harder to win with that side and his players are propably rather skilled, so nothing below impossible would be enough Second thing is, what kind of army Ansom leads - too cute to be likable (it was discussed in details elsewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    This word catched my eye. Didn't Stanley mentioned the very same aspect? It seems that Erfworld is similar to Parson's scenario in more ways then i have seen before.

By the way: even if Erfworld is an ideal copy of Parson's game, it still can be real. In a Mulitiversum all possibilities exist.

And i find it interesting, that Parson prefers to put his eyebook so that it resambles a laptop.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by chionophile View Post
    Doesn't mean that the characters in Parson's game match up with the ones in Erfworld. It's very possible that Ansom is good and Stanley is evil while the besiegers in Parson's game are evil and the besieged are good.

It's the scenario that's the same, not the people.
    Possible. Presumably, Parson would be running the side opposed to his playtesters, and he said that prefers to play the bad guys....

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Knowing Parson, he created a situation where he would trick his players into picking a side which looked like it had the overwhelming advantage, but in fact had so many subtle little problems that it could not win.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2007-03-30 at 03:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plus, it makes more sense for four players to be controlling the disparate coalition, with whatever tricks Parson's come up with to cause communication problems and infighting.
    19th-20th Century Rulers - in Stick Form!
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Watch my descent into bankruptcy. Portfolio here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    OOTS: 13gp * 62 = 805gp
    DOOM: 11gp *15 = 165gp
    MIKO: 21 * 0gp = 0gp
    HNJO: 44 * 5gp = 220gp
    Cash: 1gp
    Net Worth 1191 gp

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I personally think Ansom was pretty evil like in #34 with all that talk about non royals and such. So it's all up in the air for me as to which side is the "good" side.

Maybe Parson designed his game to blur the lines of good and evil which would probably only add fuel to the fire of a no-win situation.
    Last edited by Fo Shizzle; 2007-04-29 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Fixed typo's

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

I think Ashna (Comic 0015) looks like the dominatrix Erfian, and the guy next to her on OUR right looks like Stanley. And the guy on her left like the hippie.

Which would make him on the side of his players.

Therefore...

SPOOOOOOOOILER

Erfworld is punishment to overrigheous DMs.

Anyone else?

-Frank

12. - Top - End - #12

I think Ashna (Comic 0015) looks like the dominatrix Erfian, and the guy next to her on OUR right looks like Stanley. And the guy on her left like the hippie.

Which would make him on the side of his players.

Therefore...

SPOOOOOOOOILER

Erfworld is punishment to overrigheous DMs.

Anyone else?

-Frank

13. - Top - End - #13

I think the guy in the hat also looks very similar to the first warlord that was encountered in the strip.