New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Curiosity/apathy as a theme?

OK, so there's been a lot of talk since Erfworld premiered about the lack of explanations about things. We got thrown in to the deep end of stuff like Lookamancy, Plush Golems, Dwagons, and had to sink or swim. A lot of people chalked this up to a lack of skill on Rob's part--he had failed to explain what was going on, to them.

However, looking at this latest klog, and combining it with Sizemore Rockwell's quote on the Cast Page, and I've come up with an alternate theory. What if the confusion about what all this stuff means was an intentional thematic element? That NO ONE in Erfworld understands this stuff, they all just take it on faith that, "That's the way stuff is." We, the readers, who live in a nice logical rational world where most stuff can be explained by science, instantly look at it and try to find patterns--reasons for stuff to be the way it is. (Which is exactly what Parson is doing. In one evening, he's shown more curiosity about the magic system that Wanda possibly ever has, and she's been a spellcaster for (presumably) her whole adult life.)

But maybe the inhabitants of Erfworld don't look for rational patterns. They accept their weird screwed-up world at face value, possibly because they're living in a game that has shaky rationale for anything in the first place. I mean, this is a world where food appears every morning for you without you having to lift a finger. (And not just any old food; Wanda got sushi!) Have these people ever needed to understand how anything works, ever? Or have they all, as a world, coasted along on the Titans' handouts without asking too many questions?

Thus, the opening strips that thrust us into this world with no explanation were letting us experience what it was like for the inhabitants. Their world makes no sense, and they just have to push through as best they can. Until suddenly, someone from the rational world shows up, and everything starts to come into focus. We start learning what's going on, because for the first time, someone is bothering to ask WHY anything is the way it is. Parson isn't just the audience-insertion character, he's a personification for curiosity, rational thought, and scientific inquiry in a world based solely on apathy (Wanda), misguided faith (Stanley), and petty shallowness (Ansom).

I admit, I need a lot more proof before this theory could be confirmed or denied, but it seems like an interesting premise.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Curiosity/apathy as a theme?

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    However, looking at this latest klog, and combining it with Sizemore Rockwell's quote on the Cast Page, and I've come up with an alternate theory. What if the confusion about what all this stuff means was an intentional thematic element? That NO ONE in Erfworld understands this stuff, they all just take it on faith that, "That's the way stuff is." We, the readers, who live in a nice logical rational world where most stuff can be explained by science, instantly look at it and try to find patterns--reasons for stuff to be the way it is. (Which is exactly what Parson is doing. In one evening, he's shown more curiosity about the magic system that Wanda possibly ever has, and she's been a spellcaster for (presumably) her whole adult life.)
    That's an interesting theory. Of course, there is one glaring exception (i.e. Sizemore Rockwell -- as you pointed out, his quote on the cast page shows him to have a mindset of curiosity and desire to find ways to make sense of the world).

Edit: Also, I doubt that Sizemore came up with this structure of magic theory all by himself -- presumably, there were always at least a few Erfworlders with a thoughtful and inquisitive mindset to develop that organizational chart.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-04-03 at 07:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Not necessarily; the charts and their organizational structure could have been handed down by the Titans in a sacred text.

Though I will admit that Sizemore is clearly an exception...but note how oppressed and ostracized he seems to be for it. Wanda can't even fathom being interested in knowing about other forms of magic. He's probably been told his entire life, "You'll never get anywhere if you keep asking so many questions." And indeed, he hasn't; he's making crap golems for a living.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not convinced that he's even doing that. It could just be their version of the saying, "If life hands you lemons, make lemonade." I don't recall seeing any actual crap golems in their forces so I think that he's just a glorified sanitation engineer.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    Not necessarily; the charts and their organizational structure could have been handed down by the Titans in a sacred text.
    True; if so, it would be interesting to see how that colors Parson's opinion once he finds out that it's considered a matter of divine revelation. Presumably, he's learned to keep any skepticism about the Titans quiet, especially from Stanley, but he is obviously writing these klogs on the assumption that they're secure from prying eyes (e.g. in the first one, he manages to fit three slights against the Tool into the single phrase "...tiny cute people who made me their leader").

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    I'm not convinced that he's even doing that. It could just be their version of the saying, "If life hands you lemons, make lemonade." I don't recall seeing any actual crap golems in their forces so I think that he's just a glorified sanitation engineer.
    If his job is simply sewage disposal, Wanda would never have wasted her time seeking him out, and we would probably never know about him. I don't think when a country is being beseiged, their first thought is sewage maintanance.

It also seems like spell casters are rare enough that they would find a way for any casters they have to contribute to the war effort. So Sizemore is either making crap golem or is using the crap in some other way that enhances Gobwin Knob's chance of success in the war.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    (e.g. in the first one, he manages to fit three slights against the Tool into the single phrase "...tiny cute people who made me their leader").
    Woah! Good catch. I totally didn't notice that the third one ("...made me their leader") was insulting to Stanley until you pointed it out.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!