New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Peebles' Perfectly Pointless Popular Prattle - Random Banter #211

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Incidentally, Mein Kampf means "My Struggle".

What is it with bad people and struggles?
    I thought it was more specifically "My life" but I imagine the idea is that it's like...contextual language. "My struggle filled life."

ON A BETTER TOPIC, nomming pizza with Dad. Best day.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ON A BETTER TOPIC, nomming pizza with Dad. Best day.
    I dislike most pizza but one type that I like is the *very* thin-crusted type, almost like matzoh. There's a chain called Coals that has them, and they're soooo good.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

All I'm saying is don't be a Debbie Downer. It's not so big a deal.

EDIT: All the good pizza places close down around here early, and there's only two of them. So anything after 9 PM has to be Dominos. Which is okay, but it gets repetitive.

Ah, first world problems.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-02-27 at 10:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    All I'm saying is don't be a Debbie Downer. It's not so big a deal.

EDIT: All the good pizza places close down around here early, and there's only two of them. So anything after 9 PM has to be Dominos. Which is okay, but it gets repetitive.

Ah, first world problems.
    I thought first world problems were things like depression, anxiety, horrible business practices, an increasingly bloated government, stock market crashes and slow internet speeds? >.>
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-02-27 at 11:05 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #485

First world problems are usually trivial things. The stuff that you mentioned are experienced by many people outside of the first world. Especially slow internet speeds.

</pedantry>

6. - Top - End - #486
    Orc in the Playground

First world problems include having to pay thousands of dollars to replace your water heater every few years so that it doesnt rupture, flood your basement and cause damage to all your expensive gaming books amd mtg cards.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

First world problems are usually trivial things. The stuff that you mentioned are experienced by many people outside of the first world. Especially slow internet speeds.

</pedantry>
    Yeah, but assuming i correctly understand the term, most of the time people in 3rd world countries have far worse problems to deal with. Lack of clean water is probably more important than a lack of internet speed.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentTakeda View Post
    First world problems include having to pay thousands of dollars to replace your water heater every few years so that it doesnt rupture, flood your basement and cause damage to all your expensive gaming books amd mtg cards.
    My first world problem was the time the bathroom flooded so badly that water started to drip down the balcony into the foyer, but I didn't notice because I was at school taking a test.

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Or what color is that stupid dress.

IT'S BLACK AND BLUE, ARE Y'ALL COLOR-BLIND OR WHAT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post

It's white and gold, I swear.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science...s-color-dress/

It's blue.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i myself only heard of the dress a few hours ago, when i stumbled upon a video explaining what colour it is, and why people see it differently

Spoiler: the video
    Show

and i always see it as black and blue
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

12. - Top - End - #492
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I was happier before I understood this: http://xkcd.com/1492/

"Huh, a neat little demonstration of the way the human eye perceives different colors in relation to the contextual cues of background and foreground lighting."

*later*

"Oh dammit all I am so glad I quit facebook when fbpurity broke earlier this month, it's probably spammed with nothing but this nonsense."

For the record, the Xeelee Nightfighter in my avatar is black, and the milky way in the background is mostly blue.

Though in the original picture the nightfighter was a green sycamore seed case on a kinda tan background before I played with it in GIMP for a while.
    Last edited by Max™; 2015-02-28 at 01:49 AM.
    Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

13. - Top - End - #493

There is a difference in how people perceive color, but there also people claiming that your computer screen has nothing to do with it. This is demonstrably false. I can perceive the dress either way, but opening on different screens with different lighting et cetera absolutely makes a difference in how easy it is to see either one. Not just myself either, I've shown several people on multiple screens and the screen and angle absolutely makes a difference.

Also, one's preconceptions also factor in quite a bit. All one needs to do to see it the other way is shift your perception slightly and focus on seeing it the other way.

Then again, I might be an anomaly since a lot of the tricks of perception (like "Did you spot the bear?" videos) don't work on me more often than they do work. Then again, the dress was an interesting challenge and I did get caught up in it. That was fun
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. Yes. Mr Nimoy. Also, I've not seen a thread about it. Not all people go to all parts of the forum.

I'm tethering my mobile interwebs to ze laptop and holy poop it's been a looong time since I've used a 2Mbit/s internet on something else than my phone. I remember seeing an ad like in 2002 that was advertising EVEN UP TO 12Mbit/s GET THIS AMAZING OFFER WOOOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

The dress is pale, bluish slate and slightly dark, bronze-ish brown.

Seriously: I actually see it that way.

IRN: I was incredibly good at sweeping the floor when I was younger, but only when I had full access to a dimmer switch on the only source of light for the room.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-02-28 at 04:11 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #496

To many people, 27/02/2015 will be defined by three things

• Nimoy
    • A dress that is polka dot red, obviously
    • Net neutrality (whatever that means)

But to me. It's the day I got flamed right out and listened to Masada String Trio enough that I could hear funky bass riffs in everything.

Shame about Nimoy, though. I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan but some things transcend fandom. Regardless it's a shame when anyone dies. I will say this, though: Any time a celebrity dies I'm inspired to check on Abe Vigoda (for some reason) and, yes, he is still alive.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2015-02-28 at 04:38 AM.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    To many people, 27/02/2015 will be defined by three things.
    Pfah, the dress is soooo 26/02/2015. Some of us were debating it before it was cool.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Technical time! I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a daemon isn't a protocol type, but a housekeeping program of sorts that runs in the background of your computer. Usually, they're referred to as daemons in all Unix-like systems, not just Ubuntu.

The more you know!

Also if Teddy or Razanir or any other techie could come correct me, that'd be awesome.
    I'm no Unix hacker, so I'm not very well-versed in the under-the-hood terminology, but a quick Wikipedia lookup shows that they are indeed background system processes. They're apparently named from Maxwell's demon, which in turn is named from the daemons in Greek mythology...

Incidentally, Mein Kampf means "My Struggle".

What is it with bad people and struggles?
    Well, good people are more often accepted by the system and society, so they don't really have to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I thought it was more specifically "My life" but I imagine the idea is that it's like...contextual language. "My struggle filled life."
    Nope, "My Struggle" or "My Battle", but you are correct in that it probably should be read in the context of "My Lifelong Struggle".
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-28 at 03:58 PM.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So my friend made a thing.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's my birthday in less than a month. Mum's talking about buying me another appointment at the hairdresser's. I've done reds and auburns, I've done purple. I've gone from long to medium, from medium to long; from long to quite short and from quite short to pretty damn short. What next? I could go from asymmetrical pixie to full pixie; not sure how that'd work out.
    Can't go blue right now as I'm going to be sending off photos with applications.
    Really the problem with short hair is that if you want something more to your hair you generally need to grow some length into it first. Or go shorter still.
    Eh screw it, full on pixie here I come. And maybe I'll go blonde. Well, blondish. I've done dark golds and caramels in my hair and quite liked those.

It's amazing how vain one can be about hair the shorter and shorter it gets. And for me with my balding spot front and centre it's annoying.
    Maybe I can go get it done by a student and save the rest of the birthday money for something else. I do like that after an age of protesting she's now all enthusiastic about the colours and the shortness and the 'oh, but you should do this, you've always wanted to do this'.
    Volte-faces are amazing, but sometimes annoying because it can grate.
    It's also strange to think that the Sister with her belly button length hair now has more hair than the rest of us combined. Twice. Maybe thrice.
    Surely you'd think she'd get a headache from all that hair, but maybe it's like when you become accustomed to carrying a heavy load for a while and don't realise how heavy it was until you finally put it down?

ION:
    A first world problem for the multi-lingual: when you realise you forgot to switch your virtual keyboard from one language to another and don't notice until you're a few sentences into a post because you were touch typing whilst looking at a book.
    Four languages, one of which has three different keyboard setting, so six keyboards.

EDIT:

IOON:
    And I'm considering going into online tutoring. Weird huh?

IOOON:
    @Troll: that's pretty cool.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2015-02-28 at 03:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Nooooooooooooo.... the Finnish RPG Con, Ropecon is a week before Eurovision Song Contest... Which means I'll be dragged to watch that farce live somewhere... Nooo...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

23. - Top - End - #503
    Colossus in the Playground

Nooooooooooooo.... the Finnish RPG Con, Ropecon is a week before Eurovision Song Contest... Which means I'll be dragged to watch that farce live somewhere... Nooo...
    Oh god, Eurovision LIVE? Are you sure you're not going to die from that?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Orc in the Playground

Hush! Speak not the horror's name, lest you summon it forth from the void!

<.< >.> Eurovision Eurovision Eurovision
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bring alcohol. You poor, poor, poor sod. At least if you were watching it on the telly you could skip about ninety percent of it because of the holiday adverts. And maybe enjoy listening to Graham Norton/your resident snippy, snarky presenter who's quietly despairing over his hapless job.
    But as is, you can only drink you way to not-quite-oblivion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    ION:
    A first world problem for the multi-lingual: when you realise you forgot to switch your virtual keyboard from one language to another and don't notice until you're a few sentences into a post because you were touch typing whilst looking at a book.
    Four languages, one of which has three different keyboard setting, so six keyboards.
    I've run in to this problem on my phone. Nothing like sending nonsense texts in Japanese to your mother in the middle of a semi-serious conversation.

IOON:
    And I'm considering going into online tutoring. Weird huh?
    What's weird about that? You're going to be teaching, and tutoring's related. So long as you get paid, yeah?

IOOON:
    @Troll: that's pretty cool.
    Isn't it! Everyone should watch it.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Welp... I guess this year's Eurovision will be relatively tolerable, as Finland's entry is pretty damn awesome. First time since Lordi's victory that I've actually heard the song before the competition.

aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

That's pretty awesome, even though some more advanced artwork would've been cool (if a lot harder). It was fun to see the paint effects on the palette.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Bring alcohol. You poor, poor, poor sod. At least if you were watching it on the telly you could skip about ninety percent of it because of the holiday adverts. And maybe enjoy listening to Graham Norton/your resident snippy, snarky presenter who's quietly despairing over his hapless job.
    But as is, you can only drink you way to not-quite-oblivion.
    Well, if Finland is like Sweden, there won't be any adverts. Although the intermissions tend to be quite decent...

Although I still claim (quite adamantly) that the bad music is what makes ESC worth watching.

Isn't it! Everyone should watch it.
    I... kind of might've watched my way through all of his works. Just by accident...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

That's... really awesome and kind of mesmerizing.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    That's pretty awesome, even though some more advanced artwork would've been cool (if a lot harder). It was fun to see the paint effects on the palette.
    I dunno, I think the neoplasticism went well with the Legos. But something more intricate surely would have been fun too

That's... really awesome and kind of mesmerizing.
    I've watched it several times, and I'm not big on re-watching things.