New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Banned

Default Re: Peebles' Perfectly Pointless Popular Prattle - Random Banter #211

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I see nothing wrong with elbows on tables. How are you supposed to eat otherwise? Do you just keep your arms stuck behind the table like inefficient T-Rex arms?
    Spoiler: Seemed appropriate
    Show

Also, I see nothing wrong with having your elbows on the table. Gotta put them somewhere.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, when I say 'elbows on the table' I mean 'just the elbows'. Forearms gotta be on the table, at least. Hovering hands are mighty uncomfortable.

Gotta put them somewhere, as Skeppio just said.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Ah, when I say 'elbows on the table' I mean 'just the elbows'. Forearms gotta be on the table, at least. Hovering hands are mighty uncomfortable.

Gotta put them somewhere, as Skeppio just said.
    IMO, not only is just elbows socially frowned upon, it's uncomfortable. Forearms and elbows are also frowned upon, but at least you can enjoy your meal. Luckily I've never been to any dinners with any organization that requires formality, so I've never had to not put my elbows on the table.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm a Murikan. What is this "queue" of which y'all speak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Barbarian in the Playground

@AtlanteanTroll: I think it's the letter that comes after 'p', so I imagine they're talking about piddling on the shoes of the person beside you at a urinal, which is frowned upon here as well.

I not only don't put my elbows on the table, I keep my arms folded tightly against my chest and hold my utensils partially like a barbarian apparently. When I use a fork+knife and am cutting something I like to hold the fork like I'm going to stab someone with it, as it just makes my brain happy doing so. It can make it kind of awkward to turn it and get the cut portion into my mouth, and doing this on a date can make things really awkward looking... but I knew I had found my one true love when my woman not only found it to be cute that I eat like a barbarian, she wasn't put off when I occasionally throw my head back and roar like a T-Rex either.
    Last edited by Max™; 2015-03-01 at 09:14 PM.
    Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think it's uptight-person language for "line you're supposed to stand in."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

*also from America*

Queue. It means 'line'. As in 'line at the store'. Or 'line to get popcorn at the movies'.

>.>
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #548
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can tell someone's British when they post about queues. The most British thing I can think of is people queuing up to go onto a double-decker bus with a Union Jack draped over it, driving to the official Crumpet and Tea Emporium, a block away from Buckingham Palace where the Queen loudly proclaims the name of a cereal brand.

EDIT: I also think that AT was being tongue-in-cheek.
    Last edited by Solse; 2015-03-01 at 09:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549

The most british thing I can think of is an Aston Martin Vulcan lined up alongside a Jaguar F Type R alongside a Mclaren P1 trying to play God Save the Queen with their exhaust notes.

Note: Preferably the Top Gear hosts would be the ones trying to do this, complaining the whole time about how crap the other two are at it.
    Last edited by Max™; 2015-03-01 at 09:46 PM.
    Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    I also think that AT was being tongue-in-cheek.
    Indubitably so. I am surprised anyone thought I wasn't...

11. - Top - End - #551
    Colossus in the Playground

Indubitably so. I am surprised anyone thought I wasn't...
    Sounds like someone's got a reputation

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Finally saw Frozen.

It's not my favorite Disney film, but it's up there. Strong symbolism, some good visuals... There's a few plot points that don't make any sense or needed some more development, but overall it's really good.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Hair seems to grow out from short really quickly. I woke up one morning and it was at my shoulders.
    I should probably get the ends trimmed, but this length is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentTakeda View Post
    When 70% of the population called it white and gold, thats not proof that their eyes or their brains are defective. It means 70% of people like to crank up the brightness and contrast on their monitors too high.
    I was starting to wonder about that...

I feel like I've managed to dodge this topic somewhat. I've not seen much of it anywhere but here, really.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

14. - Top - End - #554
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    You can tell someone's British when they post about queues. The most British thing I can think of is people queuing up to go onto a double-decker bus with a Union Jack draped over it, driving to the official Crumpet and Tea Emporium, a block away from Buckingham Palace where the Queen loudly proclaims the name of a cereal brand.
    You forgot that we then tend to complain about it. We're odd folk, really.
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sounds like someone's got a reputation
    I cannot seem to cipher out your comment ATM. Which is a bit ironic. Heh.

16. - Top - End - #556

How is that ironic? :D

(hey, I did say a few posts back that I am the worst type of aspie-hole, and yes that is a deliberate merge of aspie and another word with the same first two letters which I don't think is appropriate to post here)
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

The website example.xxx is neither already-owned nor reserved-as-an-example (the only ones that are reserved as examples, IIRC, are example.com, example.net, and example.org.)

Someone should register example.xxx and make it just huge text that says "get a life, weirdo!" or something similar. I'd do it myself, but I don't know how to register domain names myself, nor do I have any money to do so with...
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-03-02 at 05:21 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

After a week long holiday, I'm back at uni, clueless as always... And I don't feel rested at all. Why is it a norm that I always get ill during breaks?
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VincentTakeda View Post
    When 70% of the population called it white and gold, thats not proof that their eyes or their brains are defective. It means 70% of people like to crank up the brightness and contrast on their monitors too high.
    Nope. Swung the brightness as far up and down as it goes on my phone and computer - the only time it doesn't look off-white/dirty-yellow is when it's too dim to actually make out the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #560

I cannot seem to cipher out your comment ATM. Which is a bit ironic. Heh.
    It means that "Oh, it appears AT has a reputation of being bit of a ditz, how unfortunate"

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post

(hey, I did say a few posts back that I am the worst type of aspie-hole, and yes that is a deliberate merge of aspie and another word with the same first two letters which I don't think is appropriate to post here)
    Wow, there is so much wrong with what you've just said that I cannot even begin to start explaining why it's awful.

Like, I mean it's likely all intended as a joke, but wow man.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    After a week long holiday, I'm back at uni, clueless as always... And I don't feel rested at all. Why is it a norm that I always get ill during breaks?
    Oof, feel better soon Finn *nurse mode*

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, there is so much wrong with what you've just said that I cannot even begin to start explaining why it's awful.

Like, I mean it's likely all intended as a joke, but wow man.
    Both words mean, very approximately, "person with more empathy than a true sociopath, but much less than a 'normal' person." The difference is that one is an official diagnosis and the other is an insult. I have that diagnosis, and I actually don't find that post particularly offensive.

Only slightly.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

22. - Top - End - #562

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Both words mean, very approximately, "person with more empathy than a true sociopath, but much less than a 'normal' person." The difference is that one is an official diagnosis and the other is an insult. I have that diagnosis, and I actually don't find that post particularly offensive.

Only slightly.
    So do I I'm just more surprised by him using it to make a kind of offensive joke/excuse for not understanding something. If you don't understand something I think it's perfectly alright to just say you don't, and using a mental condition as a crutch is wrong. But that's just my thoughts on it. I'm not even actually offended.

AT ANY RATE, I had a weird sort of nightmare last night I'd like to share, because in retrospect it isn't actually all that nightmareish, just super silly. I only remember two parts, and they are as follows. I'm at the store and Dad said he'll buy me a game, but I can't find any I want. The second part is that I was being advanced upon sexual by Sheldon from Big Bang Theory because I was wearing green, which is really more just disgusting then scary.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

I have an art thread again....

Not going to do dailys here, I think, but other stuff sure.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

24. - Top - End - #564
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    As far as I've seen, if you want to queue jump, you should ask politely and/or have a good reason for doing so, otherwise people will disapprove verbally.

Also, on the subject of elbows on the table: it occurs to me that I've never done that. I checked myself and I automatically leave them off the table.
    I see nothing wrong with elbows on tables. How are you supposed to eat otherwise? Do you just keep your arms stuck behind the table like inefficient T-Rex arms?
    Someone once tried to claim that the rule used to be that you always put your elbows on the table, because that meant you couldn't easily get at a hidden knife and assassinate someone. Then the rule later changed to not putting your elbows on the table, in order to show that you trusted the people enough to assume that they weren't going to assassinate you.

But I can find no verification of this anywhere, so it's probably false. More likely, it came from a time when putting your elbows on the table could unbalance it and, like any tradition, gets enforced "just because" it is a rule, even though the reason has been long lost and no longer applies.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

25. - Top - End - #565
    Firbolg in the Playground

Having my first Vietnamese lesson right now over Skype. With someone in Hŕ Nội.

We're talking about floods and . . . the weather. How British.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Because HalfTan couldn't decipher my message properly, and then I couldn't decipher LaZ's. (Albeit for different reasons.) Although...

It means that "Oh, it appears AT has a reputation of being bit of a ditz, how unfortunate"
    This makes no sense. Most people got it right away. Including the self-described "aspie-hole."
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-03-02 at 01:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Because HalfTan couldn't decipher my message properly, and then I couldn't decipher LaZ's. (Albeit for different reasons.) Although...
    I've no regard for the current related dialogue, but I'm popping in because I know that he prefers not to be called HalfTan for future reference.

ION: How is everyone!? I had a moderate weekend. Went to the dentist, and it turned out alright here.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

28. - Top - End - #568

Maybe I missunderstood what you missunderstood, then.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I've no regard for the current related dialogue, but I'm popping in because I know that he prefers not to be called HalfTan for future reference.

ION: How is everyone!? I had a moderate weekend. Went to the dentist, and it turned out alright here.
    I'm doing good! Hope you're doing well.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

He knows.

I blame you

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

I had a dream that I was with Kneenibble, watching birdies going all birb and doing all bird kinda stuff, like being cute, and when I woke up I started crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~