New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike the Klog-style posts?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the Klog posts

117 87.97%
  • I don't care

13 9.77%
  • I don't like them

3 2.26%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Klogs: Like them or not?

Okay, we've seen three Klogs, and it seems as though a lot of people have formed an opinion, in some cases fairly strong ones, as to the quality of the Klog strips in relation to the comic being presented.

On one hand, they get a lot of dialogue out of the way by explaining things to the reader without having to go through a conversation explaining it. The theory here is that a wordy strip is hard to plow through, but a Klog is a 'data dump' done well. Furthermore, they're easier to put together in the event of personal crisis and/or illness to maintain a (so far) flawless posting record.

On the other hand, some view Klogs as a cheep hack job which has no real use other than covering one's arse with something remotely resembling a 'strip' posted on time, and not only doesn't significantly contribute but actively takes away from the quality and entertainment value of the comic series as a whole.

Personally, I like them. It's a way to get data dumps to the readers, while still keeping an 'in game' feel to it.

Gentlemen, start your keyboards!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

The Inner Sanctum. Gender: I haven't checked yet.

Default Re: Klogs: Like them or not?

Dont' care, they don't matter enough to love them or hate them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Town Characters, pictured left to right:

State Namesake District Revenant (With Ms. E's Iris) Malleo Morbius Deckard and Dexter
    for State, Malleo, District
    for Morbius
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Many people have asked themselves; What is the ultimate moment-killer?
    The real ultimate moment-killer is a giant horde of zombies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The only time I disliked one was when they put one up instead of a comic. The two that come on Thursdays aren't a big deal cause we don't normally get anything on Thursday, but it would be nice if on Tuesday and Saturday they'd post REAL comics instead of klogs...
    Creator of the "It's Xykon, not Xylon, Zykon, Zylon..." Association. To join, copy-paste this into your sig and give urself a title.

Legendary Hero of the Church of Link's Hat

Bard of the Azure City Resistance!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The first one made sense for flavor just because it was the first one. The second made sense as a smart way to get some complex info out about the game rules, the kind of the relational data that really belongs in a table and would normally be available in that form for a released game (such as D&D).

The third one was not completely senseless. It showed the kind of creative process that Parson needs to go through and shouldn't share with anyone there (for much the same reason that he was shredded on the forums here). Good brainstorming is messy by nature because the human brain is bad at creating a flurry of unconventional ideas and sharp critiques at the same time; they require incompatible modes of thought. On the other hand, we probably didn't need to actually see his brainstorming -- might've been better off imagining it, really. On the other other hand, there was an extenuating circumstance (sick artist) for slapping up a Klog. So, not a fan of that particular use of the Klog, also not going to crucify them for it.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Love 'em! Also, I didn't particularly mind the one instead of a comic, since it was due to Jamie being sick. I definately preferred it to no comic.
    If they started posting them instead of comics on a more consistent basis rather than being sick, I might not like that, but I really don't see that happening.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    (Stranded on the first layer of Baator seemed to work just fine )
    Spoiler
    Show

Check out the test to find out who you are!

What type of Fae are you?

Avatar by Dan Shive from El Goonish Shive.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

I like the klogs alot, i mean, if there was only one, that would've been weird, but with 3(or maybe more, if something else needs explaining) then you can read them and partially understand erfworld more

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

they are helpful to be sure, i just want it to update every other day....so i can read it faster and see what happens
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I like the Klogs, they've taken care of a ton of the (very) much needed exposition. Not to mention the fact that they allow the comic to update three times a week.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I think the klogs are a good thing. I've always been a fast reader, so you add in pictures, and I get can through a 100 page graphic novel in a few minutes. ._. These klogs allow me some time to slow down and digest the pure information being thrown at me, rather than just looking at well drawn comics and then going back to digest information.

So, I give the klogs two thumbs up. ^^ Keep 'em coming!
    Boo.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

File mine as "like". Yeah, they violate that "show don't tell" rule, but it frees time up in the comic for actual PLOT in additiont to the sound effect...
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

they're good. is that number disparity gonna go on forever though?
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

I like them, but they shouldn't alter the numbering for the comics.

13. - Top - End - #13

Even if I was not a klog fan, getting more amusing writing > not getting anything at all, which is the alternative. I, however, love the klogs and the deeper introduction to the erfworld mythos. Page 3 was not the greatest of them, but I still enjoyed it and it was really nice to get some insights into Parson's brain.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Klogs is good.
    Love Hamstard's comments.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I like them but I think the second one was the best and a klog beats no comic any day.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from handling the exposition there's the simple fact that these are extras. We can have two comics a week plus klog or simply two comics a week. I'm amazed that anyone has the gall to complain about free content.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    Aside from handling the exposition there's the simple fact that these are extras. We can have two comics a week plus klog or simply two comics a week. I'm amazed that anyone has the gall to complain about free content.
    I think the intent of the OP was not to complain, but to offer constructive criticism, in the form of positive/negative feedback to the authors, to help them see how their work is received.

I voted "like," by the way. As the OP mentioned, it's a creative way to get into the protagonist's head and provide some background while staying "in-universe".
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Like 'em a lot. All of those -mancies would just confuse people if they were given in dialogue. A weekly dispatch has precedent in nerd-ly media ("Captain's Log, stardate ...", Mork reporting back to Orson, etc.) They'll be good if used in moderation.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

When you want to create a new, strange world for your characters to act in you need some moments of pure action-less description and detailing of what the world looks like. Having the info transmitted through dialogue is an impossible task. This is the reason that most film based on worlds created through books are not effective. See the initial "Dune" compared to the book(s) - even a the very careful designed recent version, while much better, is limited. Or look what the LoTR movie trilogy (very good otherwise) did to the detailed universe of the books. I fear the day they'll make a movie out of the Silmarilion.

This being said, if the authors want us to get immersed into Erfworld, which looks like a very complex and unusual environment, there has to be a form of intensive "world description" and the Klogs look like a perfectly viable form (the other would be a "voice off" thing, like in strip 1). It`s also coherent with the story and characters.

My only (minor) complaint is that page 3 was rather low on info, compared to 1 and especially 2. You can't have them all equal though and the context of page 3 was particular so we'll forgive them this time

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Like them, but I'd rather have more comic pages.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

they're kind of meh....

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Love 'em. In small quantities. Too much and this would start being a novel with illustrations, rather than a comic strip with the occasional text interlude.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary View Post
    The only time I disliked one was when they put one up instead of a comic. The two that come on Thursdays aren't a big deal cause we don't normally get anything on Thursday, but it would be nice if on Tuesday and Saturday they'd post REAL comics instead of klogs...
    Jami was sick that weekend. This was mentioned in another thread... he was more annoyed about not being able to put up a new page than you were about not being able to read one.
    "Do you have a headache spell?"
    "Yes! Or... To cure one? No. If I had that, I would never stop casting it."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Love 'em. In small quantities. Too much and this would start being a novel with illustrations, rather than a comic strip with the occasional text interlude.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Hmmm, that would be a bad thing?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    (Stranded on the first layer of Baator seemed to work just fine )
    Spoiler
    Show

Check out the test to find out who you are!

What type of Fae are you?

Avatar by Dan Shive from El Goonish Shive.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I like the klogs better then the strip, to be honest, though the last strip did a good job of capturing some of the klog flavor. I like Rob's writing style (prose).
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Posting may provoke attacks of opportunity

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd go further than many in saying that I like them. It provides variety and proper balance. The combination is more fulfilling In the same ways that a meal with several courses or a day filled with varied activities can be more fulfilling than a single course or event. (Yes, I know contrary cases exist, but the main point generally holds true.)

Take the Stupid Meal, for example. That's a cute strip. Now, do I mind later Stupid Meals? No, they could be occasionally funny as a deus ex machina side gag. Do I need them as the sole exposition of the world? No, that's where a klog does it compactly. Add in extra commentary and jokes, and it becomes both useful and amusing. If you've read Ender's Game, the references are amusing. God Mode is delightful, as are the references to "magic bullet" (it was a good idea), the original thinking commendation, and the non-klog headache spell.

This is not, of course, to say that I love everything. But I like this extra spice, and I'm happy to explain why.
    Last edited by rosebud; 2007-04-10 at 08:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I really like them, because it shows a lot of things about Erfworld in very simple and amusing format.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'm in favour of them. As mentioned, they aren't taking up space where a comic would be - they're taking up space where a nothing would be.

Far preferable. ;)
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.