New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Goblins XV: Klik Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I think he may be too invested in making the world full and complete and interesting. Looking at this page, for instance, the first panel could have read something much shorter, only stating something like "My mother carved labels on all his equipment", which would allow for a bigger picture showing that she had one leg (making it completely unnecessary to say it in the narration)...
    In this may be a special case, though, where it's supposed to sound like Forgath telling a story, at least up to that point. It may be more wordy than normal because of that. Something from the main story might make your point better.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-07-08 at 07:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    In this may be a special case, though, where it's supposed to sound like Forgath telling a story, at least up to that point. It may be more wordy than normal because of that. Something from the main story might make your point better.
    That true, since Forgath is telling the story, it's closer to the recent story told to Durkon, but you can still have a story narrated and start with narration then move to a regular comic (which happens during the second page anyways) so it's not necessarily just that.

But yes, it's a good point, this is a narrated story. Maybe those are the ones where Thunt gets particularly wordy. I remember Duv talking about her clan, Dies learning about Klik and especially the Axe telling Ears its story were similarly wordy, and they're all stories being related from one "character" to another. Although here Forgath is just thinking to himself, I guess.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

it's sort of a non-diagetic thing i think, from Forgath's perspective he isn't narrating this entire story to himself, more like remembering images and phrases like "Yup, monster from other dimention, couldn't harm things with names, picture of dad in armor, dad died terribly etc," but for the sake of the reader, it's put into a more coherant story form. Because how many of you go into great detail when remembering what you had for dinner last week?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, I'm liking it, and I can get why he used it as a bonus - it would have disrupted flow quite a bit.

I like how the old "mud" topos, which usually saves the hero's hide (Rambo II, Predator), is here reused as a negative thing. And I am not really reading it as a comic, more like an illustrated story. Another good reason why this is a bonus page.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find this story quite disappointing considering it could have been better.

I prefered Not-Walter's one in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    W-wait ... hold on.

He does all the eye dots manually?!

Why would someone do that to themselves............. !?
    Soooo, I opened the basic "Paint" tool on my computer, drawed a circle, filled it black, took the spray tool and put some white in it... It's basically the same result.
    Tell me manually doesn't mean dot per dot.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

6. - Top - End - #366
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

young Durkon and his brother
    I think you switched to a different comic there.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I find this story quite disappointing considering it could have been better.

I prefered Not-Walter's one in the end.
    They both have their lame points. Hard to decide... but yes, probably not-Walter wins by a small margin.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    There was that month he listened to Justin Bieber on headphones every waking moment. I forget why he did that. I hope not just to see what would happen. Sigh.
    Have we considered the possibility that Thunt is not terribly smart?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Have we considered the possibility that Thunt is not terribly smart?
    It's not his INT score that is the problem (though listening to perpetual Bieber may have dealt some INT damage). It's his WIS score that he dumped at chargen.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hackman View Post
    young Durkon and his brother
    I think you switched to a different comic there.
    That went right past me.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's not his INT score that is the problem (though listening to perpetual Bieber may have dealt some SAN damage). It's his WIS score that he dumped at chargen.
    Sorry, had to fix that for you.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Soooo, I opened the basic "Paint" tool on my computer, drawed a circle, filled it black, took the spray tool and put some white in it... It's basically the same result.
    Tell me manually doesn't mean dot per dot.
    Manually does mean "dot per dot". Bus as I just said, I believe he's doing it a little bit differently now: the parts that end up completely black are no longer made with a "dot-by-dot" technique.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Um, what? Is there something wrong about a demon saying they are going to have you tortured and torn apart by devils? Some people need to understand that demons tend to do bad things to people when given the chance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the maze of many, a version of Not-Walter said something like that to his version of Minmax. It started a huge polemic about how the comic supports rape which lasted for years and led to Thunt having a breakdown. This is very similar, moreso since the person being talked to is actually female (not that rape doesn't happen to males but the original issue only arose because someone read it wrong and thought Not-Walter was talking to Kin, in this case he's actually talking to a female) not to mention there is mind control involved which is also a violation of someone's self, and therefore very similar to rape as well.

So yes, demons do horrible things but this story does read like we're supposed to be on the side of the demon and therefore the last panel can be read as meant to be a "just" punishment, rather than something even worse than what she was doing to Not-Walter in the first place.

I've already read the story since I own the books, and I still cringed at re-reading that part. It could absolutely restart the whole thing but it may not. Either way it's super old material so it's not anything Thunt is "doing again".
    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah I remember that whole mess of nonsense. People are idiots who over reacted and now the only reason they would do it again is sheer stupidity. There was absolutely not even the slightest implication of rape here, just torture and suffering, which, once again, is a thing evil abominations from the pits of hell tend to DO. If certain readers cant handle that then they should have stopped reading years ago, this comic is dripping with torment pain suffering and misery. Its coming from all sides and angles and its not going to stop any time soon. I bet half the people who would get all self righteously offended over this lady getting mind controlled read the semi recent update of GitP where durkula made belkar jump off the air ship through domination and laughed.
    I think what struck me as odd was how sexualized the charcter of Greena is already: She's a attractive blonde going without a bra covering her boobs with a contrivance that will expose her breast if she moves wrong. Also, toture and suffering on a pain chair really includes rape in my book, it's a demon, for god'S sake. But I'm willing to cede the point, but even then, there's an uncomfortable mix of violence and sex that makes the whole thing feel strange. I'm also not saying people are right for giving him a hard time about it, I was just pointing out the similarities.

Also, what Lissou said.

As for Forgath: Count me among those who think the backstory is actually written after the fact. Even then, considering how very obviously this story is meant to lend the helmet significance, the dead father and all that, it is absoluetely unforgivable what THunt let the clicks do to the helmet. When they ate it, I thought good riddance, I also felt the helmet was a remnant of the silly first days of the comic, now I just wonder what was the point.
    Hi everyone. Follow s-writing.blogspot.com. Learn to start writing, and also about the legendary King Arthur!

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker1983 View Post
    I think what struck me as odd was how sexualized the charcter of Greena is already: She's a attractive blonde going without a bra covering her boobs with a contrivance that will expose her breast if she moves wrong. Also, toture and suffering on a pain chair really includes rape in my book, it's a demon, for god'S sake. But I'm willing to cede the point, but even then, there's an uncomfortable mix of violence and sex that makes the whole thing feel strange. I'm also not saying people are right for giving him a hard time about it, I was just pointing out the similarities.
    Plus, she "Hiya Cutie"s him the moment she has Charm Person cast on her, as though he's magic'd her into being attracted to him. I don't think Thunt intended to remind his readership of rape here, but--let's just say I can imagine lots of ways of writing the scene that wouldn't have so many of those connotations.
    Last edited by Bird; 2015-07-11 at 05:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375

AssassinGuy

Forgath's dad should have gottem "I am Forgath's Dad" tatooed on several body parts.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2015-07-11 at 06:57 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

idk about you guys, but i still like Paladin! Forgath's helmet from the maze of many.

Tis a Helm!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2015-07-11 at 07:25 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    Forgath's dad should have gottem "I am Forgath's Dad" tatooed on several body parts.
    Not likely. The demon's weakness applied to inanimate objects according to the legend. It would have been a really stupid screw-up if Thunt hadn't covered that loophole.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-07-11 at 05:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

New update
    Spoiler: the prisoner of Moon K' Tolo
    Show
    I don't know... It's only me, or the imposing figure of M'Rk'Dirull is rapidly losing that initial sense of majesty?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    New update
    Spoiler: the prisoner of Moon K' Tolo
    Show
    I don't know... It's only me, or the imposing figure of M'Rk'Dirull is rapidly losing that initial sense of majesty?
    I was getting a mental image of that scene in kill bill where hattori hanzo is hollering at his assistant about the freaking tea.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

What is this I don't even know.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

21. - Top - End - #381

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    What is this I don't even know.
    It's an intro into a short story with us lacking any context. We'll find out later with more updates.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

This short story happened when we hadn't seen Forgath and Minmax for a really long time. It was the first time we saw them drawn in the newer style, I'm pretty sure.

It's more light-hearted than the other two, as often when Minmax is involved.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

So how long till we get new comics instead of the book exclusives? Now I'm not complaining that we get to see teh book exclusives, but it seems a way to get patreon money with no effort.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

80% sure that these book exclusives aren't counted to collecting patreon money. And as usual new comics will come out when they are done, this is just a way to keep the readers entertained as he works.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

New pages have been coming out as well.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

This short story happened when we hadn't seen Forgath and Minmax for a really long time. It was the first time we saw them drawn in the newer style, I'm pretty sure.

It's more light-hearted than the other two, as often when Minmax is involved.
    Minmax' face in the last panel seems to have been drawn in a style all of its own.
    Hi everyone. Follow s-writing.blogspot.com. Learn to start writing, and also about the legendary King Arthur!

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know how the story will develope, but it's pretty clear since now, that MM deserves to be in prison.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388

Goblin's page
    Spoiler
    Show
    So this would be why Thaco had such trouble fighting those statues?
    Guess this magic item won't work outside of the room. The bonus provided would be quite strong.

Struggling really, really, really hard still does seem uneffective

Also previous page looks better now : http://www.goblinscomic.org/07032015/
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Goblin's page
    Spoiler
    Show
    So this would be why Thaco had such trouble fighting those statues?
    Guess this magic item won't work outside of the room. The bonus provided would be quite strong.

Struggling really, really, really hard still does seem uneffective
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like one of the bots is up on its pedistal in the last panel. I would have guessed that it's the one that lost its blindfold, but it looks like it still has it.

Also, why are we seeing only Thaco's foot in the 5th panel?

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like one of the bots is up on its pedistal in the last panel. I would have guessed that it's the one that lost its blindfold, but it looks like it still has it.

Also, why are we seeing only Thaco's foot in the 5th panel?

Hmm, hard to say,
    Spoiler
    Show
    last part first, im guessing its just an artistic choice to show how hard he was hit and how far he was sent flying. As for the statue still on its pedestal, its possible its reinforcements, its also possible its a "boss" statue. Meaning once thaco defeats these guys with his demon hunter from WoW look, the last one will wake up and be faster/stronger/harder to dodge or whatever.