New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Unchained] Jason Buhlman confirmed Summoner is in for some nerfs

Stamina system: sounds like they cribbed some notes from 4e about encounter powers. Except then, they smashed it together with psionics.
    That's what psionics in 4e was: At-will abilities that can be augmented with a per-ecounter resource.

Was actually pretty cool.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Almost made me play 4e again once they did psi. It sounded like a much more fun way of doing things, one of my normal players had a 4E group and he was having a blast with his Psi Shardmind until that group fell apart.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    That's what psionics in 4e was: At-will abilities that can be augmented with a per-ecounter resource.

Was actually pretty cool.
    Huh, apparently my memory is fuzzy, I thought PP were a daily resource.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Stamina system: sounds like they cribbed some notes from 4e about encounter powers. Except then, they smashed it together with psionics.
    I liked the 4e Psionics better than 3e psionics, mostly because I felt the augmentation was better handled.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Spamalot in the Playground

Good stuff!

The variant multiclassing sounds interesting.
    It reminds me a lot of the archetype packages from Super Genius Games. As that is an awesome subsystem, I'm very pleased with this.

What's really cool about it is how much it benefits classes (like Fighter, Gunslinger and Monk) that get plenty of feats but weak class features. Now you can trade a bunch of your feats for some class features. And unlike PrCs you get the benefits early (3+) and they scale with your character for more than 5-10 levels. Plus your character's other class features were scaling the whole time too.

I'm not ragging on 4e or PF when I say that. It looks like a fun option and 4e was a fine system by the time it was done. It's just REALLY ironic when you look at the parallel design decisions, and how people gravitated to PF despite them doing the same thing in a lot of ways.
    The key here is to examine what they did differently. This will serve you well in life as a general rule, in fact
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #216

What's really cool about it is how much it benefits classes (like Fighter, Gunslinger and Monk) that get plenty of feats but weak class features. Now you can trade a bunch of your feats for some class features. And unlike PrCs you get the benefits early (3+) and they scale with your character for more than 5-10 levels. Plus your character's other class features were scaling the whole time too.
    Yeah. That was my other thought. A fighter's not going to cringe as much when they take this because of their eight thousand bonus feats. So it could be a cool way to customize some of those classes.

Ultimately it all comes down to how much the option gives, but I'm intrigued on a conceptual level.

The key here is to examine what they did differently
    Well so far the biggest difference is that it's a package here and in 4e it was a feat chain. Also it doesn't look like this version is going to let you pick up class feats from the off class from first glance. And it's not the only way.

7. - Top - End - #217

Well so far the biggest difference is that it's a package here and in 4e it was a feat chain. Also it doesn't look like this version is going to let you pick up class feats from the off class from first glance. And it's not the only way.
    Most feats aimed at a specific class say things like "bardic performance class feature" or "rage class feature" or "studied target class feature" - these would (potentially, anyway) become accessible to a "package multiclasser" like this, assuming they don't include blanket blocking language like "the class feature you gain this way does not count as that class feature for any prerequisites" which would be a shame. But without language like that, you would in fact have access to class feats aimed at the secondary class.

Pretty much the only feats I can think of that actually do care about you being a specific class, rather than having specific class features, are the ones that want you to have X levels in fighter or whatever. like Weapon Specialization. (There are also a handful that say "x levels in monk" - but those typically have alternate qualifications like BAB anyway.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #218

The ones that came to mind when I thought of that were things like the Killing Flourish chain, which have a non-negotiable slayer level requirement attached to each component.

Which always sort of irked me. Never got why those were slayer only feats.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

I just realized that they are just making Eldritch Heritage a thing for everything. It's what I always wanted. Of course, it's less impressive in those terms, and it's years too late, but it's a thing.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #220

The ones that came to mind when I thought of that were things like the Killing Flourish chain, which have a non-negotiable slayer level requirement attached to each component.

Which always sort of irked me. Never got why those were slayer only feats.
    There are a few like that, yeah. But with any luck the class feature ones will open up.

And even if they don't, it's still a great change.

I just realized that they are just making Eldritch Heritage a thing for everything. It's what I always wanted. Of course, it's less impressive in those terms, and it's years too late, but it's a thing.
    Without a Cha requirement no less!
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Huh, apparently my memory is fuzzy, I thought PP were a daily resource.
    Per Encounter. Augmenting everything to the fullest, they get basically the same number of "Encounter" Powers as other classes, with the option of spamming one if it's a better choice or drawing it out a little bit if the fight looks like it might take a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not ragging on 4e or PF when I say that. It looks like a fun option and 4e was a fine system by the time it was done. It's just REALLY ironic when you look at the parallel design decisions, and how people gravitated to PF despite them doing the same thing in a lot of ways.
    There are superficial similarities and fundamental differences, because PF is founded on very different design decisions than 4E (or more accurately, PF is built on 3E, whereas 4E is intentionally built on different principles). There's nothing ironic there, and it's perfectly obvious why people would gravitate to one instead of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Most feats aimed at a specific class say things like "bardic performance class feature" or "rage class feature" or "studied target class feature" - these would (potentially, anyway) become accessible to a "package multiclasser" like this, assuming they don't include blanket blocking language
    Yes. They also have in the FAQ that class features that sound similar are intended to work as prereqs, so I'm not expecting any blanket blocking language here.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #223

Of course, I feel that PF's popularity is primarily rooted in deceit, so it's not a surprise to me.
    "Deceit" implies either that Paizo were intentionally malicious or that the folks who chose to gravitate to Pathfinder were duped or foolish, possibly both. Such sour grapes are unbecoming.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading the comments section, Mark Sefter made a very interesting statement that revealed a couple of extra system details. Can't copy-paste on my phone, but it is about resting for two minutes (while searching a room) to make sure he has five stamina, in order to use his favorite combat trick.

This implies three things:

1) Stamina recovery is fairly quick, implied to be at least 1-2 per minute
    2) Recovery doesn't require complete rest, just a pause
    3) Some tricks use more stamina than others.

The third point is the biggest one there.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

This know direction podcast discusses unchained for the first half, even describing a way they are altering the action economy. Note: This is super super super long.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2015-04-10 at 07:55 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    This know direction podcast discusses unchained for the first half, even describing a way they are altering the action economy. Note: This is super super super long.
    Mind typing out some of the points? I can't listen to it today due to appointments

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

17. - Top - End - #227

I guess that was a bad time for me to go to sleep then

• Eidolon will be more constrained, at least in a combat sense.
    • Apparently they have attempted to make the summoner have more options than just eidolon creation so your less likely to be idle, but not so much that you can't just make a eidolon who wrecks the battlefield.
    • Rogue Talents and Rage Powers will be buffed.
    • Danger Sense rather than trap sense.
    • Debilitating Injury mechanics allow for Roguish control, so you can use sneak attack for more than just damage.
    • Full BAB Monk.
    • Cleaned up Flurry of Blows language.
    • Can do things like headbutt mid-flurry of blows?
    • Monk will have headbutts, "push-arounds", & "hammerblows"
    • More ki use
    • Stephen Radney-Macfarland is never doing a book on bard songs
    • The monk can shoot fireballs/kamehameha via elemental burst
    • Not the kung fu of the 1970's and 80's, it's "apparently" modernized.
    • Monk wont be neck and neck with the fighter in terms of damage, but will be "up there"
    • Simplify rage and rage powers.
    • Less to change on your character sheet when you rage.
    • A lot of old archetypes will work with the unchained classes (YMMV)
    • Occult adventures will not have unchained archetypes.
    • The simple monster creation system will let you quickly create monsters on the same power as normal monsters of their CR.
    • Simplified stat blocks for these simple monsters that skips things like how many ranks of Craft (Underwater Basketweaving) the creature has. With the aim of fitting all the creatures crucial stats on an index card or on your phone.
    • Has a Nighthag Soul Collector with a soul pet, dragons, and pit fiend re-created with these rules.
    • Uses arrays for generating stats.
    • The creature creation doesn't have feats as certain aspects are abstracted, such as assuming certain monster roles will be power attacking to begin with.
    • The monster system is heavily influenced by 4e.
    • Alternate alignment systems, one where you start as neutral (or as close to neutral as possible) and then through moral dilemma's you choose your alignment and then at higher levels you become part of cosmic struggles and gain benefits based on your actions.
    • Unchained Classes will "probably" be in Adventure Paths.
    • Reworked action economy which is more streamlined and makes combat more mobile.
    • "Takes away iterative attacks by giving everyone iterative attacks."
    • You get a number of actions. Each action does one thing, if you want to attack you attack. If you want to spend an action to move a little you can.
    • You can attack one person, move, attack, attack, etc.
    • You start with three acts in a round. So a first level fighter can attack three times in a round.
    • Dex to damage for rogues is going to be at a level so you can't just dip into it.
    • The background skill system that we already know about.
    • An alignment system that removes alignment.
    • The stamina/combat tricks system.
    • Simplified spellcasting system.
    • Esoteric magic components system.
    • System of magic items that makes them more than just +1's (which we'll probably hear more about next week on the magic item blog).
    • The magic items will grow with you, without having to balance it through giant costs that legacy items used in 3.5e.
    • There will not be a subsystem to ignore the Big Six.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

This all sounds pretty interesting. Obviously it all depends on how they implement it, but so far a lot of these changes sound pretty good.

The only problem I have is, if they make the Monk and the Fighter not suck, who will I make fun of?
    If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it.

Homebrew
    [WIP] Scaled Tyrant - Path of War Dragon based discipline.

Campaigns I am in:
    We Be Best Goblins! as Ragnok the Titleless
    Land of the Endless Sky as Azrael (previously Nualia)

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CGNefarious View Post
    This all sounds pretty interesting. Obviously it all depends on how they implement it, but so far a lot of these changes sound pretty good.

The only problem I have is, if they make the Monk and the Fighter not suck, who will I make fun of?
    Paladins. Always make fun of Paladins.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Paladins. Always make fun of Paladins.
    Paladins in a game with no alignment "I smite Nothing!"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

• Can do things like headbutt mid-flurry of blows?
    • Monk will have headbutts,...

I'm assuming "headbutt" actually means something different than "unarmed attack" in Unchained.

Linky
    "Unarmed Attacks

Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts"

Presumably the "removed alignment" notes only refer to the Player characters (especially seeing as how ALL UNDEAD EVAR!!1!! are pure unfiltered EEEVVVIIILLL!!!1). So "Smite Evil" still does something.

No, a better question is "Then what alignment is my Paladin?"
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2015-04-10 at 09:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post

I'm assuming "headbutt" actually means something different than "unarmed attack" in Unchained.
    I'd definitely assume so.

Presumably the "removed alignment" notes only refer to the Player characters (especially seeing as how ALL UNDEAD EVAR!!1!! are pure unfiltered EEEVVVIIILLL!!!1). So "Smite Evil" still does something.
    I'm not sure how removing alignment would even function at all if it only applied to player characters, that's not no alignment, that's keeping the players alignment neutral regardless of their actions. I'd assume in a no-alignment game, that paladins and anti-paladins are banned classes in the same way Protection from Evil would likely be removed. Otherwise, it's not removing alignment at all.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Wouldn't they just get something like "Smite Heathen" or "Smite Enemy", in which it functions like smite evil but towards anything against or that doesn't worship your deity?

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    Wouldn't they just get something like "Smite Heathen" or "Smite Enemy", in which it functions like smite evil but towards anything against or that doesn't worship your deity?
    That would require changing paladins to be religious, but I suppose it's an option.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. The apparent heavy influence of 4e on Pathfinder Unchained has me wondering: Are they doing the same thing as they did originally? Looking to attract the D&D players whose preferred edition is no longer under production?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

26. - Top - End - #236

What "heavy influence?" An encounter-based resource? Because 3.5 pioneered that (ToB, ToM) not 4e.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #237
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If characters start with multiple attacks in a round, I hope there are further changes to mitigate the already-prevalent low-level rocket tag.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Hm. The apparent heavy influence of 4e on Pathfinder Unchained has me wondering: Are they doing the same thing as they did originally? Looking to attract the D&D players whose preferred edition is no longer under production?
    What heavy influence? All they're saying is that they're doing simplified monsters since most monsters don't need a full stat block with skill ranks and so forth.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

According to the new FAQ, Unchained Rogues can ignore Concealment with regards to Sneak Attack.

Yes, in general concealment does negate all kinds of precision damage, unless you have a special ability that particularly says otherwise like the Shadow Strike feat or the Unchained rogue’s sneak attack.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    According to the new FAQ, Unchained Rogues can ignore Concealment with regards to Sneak Attack.
    I wonder if this will be rogue-only or if ninjas will get it too? And I wonder if it will be baseline or require a talent?

Off topic, but clicking through to that, I just noticed the Weird Words errata.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy