New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: [Unchained] Jason Buhlman confirmed Summoner is in for some nerfs

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    I'd say it actually makes more sense the other way. Yeah, being a bookworm doesn't make you acrobatic or athletic or persuasive, but that's not what the skills mean (a wizard with acrobatics is a wizard who read books and trains his body as well, after all, not a wizard who reads books and is suddenly good at balancing).

Feels weird to me that because a character knows a couple subjects they suddenly can't do anything else because some things are so piecemeal. Especially relevant for low skill point classes like fighter or paladin. Though part of that is int based skillpoints being weird in certain cases ( a slightly below average intelligence fighter's knowledge of dungeoncrawling makes him a poor swimmer? wut)

I mean I can see the issue, but that's more a problem of the skill point system not always making sense than it is an argument against consolidation, IMO.

I'd probably go even farther and take a note from 4e (Spellcraft and Know(Arcane) into one, Survival and Nature into one, Planes and Religion into one, climb and swim into one).
    Make Fighters 4+Int and that one is basically solved, without impacting the skill paradigm at the high end. You can have your dumb bruiser if you want, or your tactical soldier, or your knight-errant.

Eh. I guess I can see that, but that's a player issue. You might not be able to make a genie at all if they don't give you a genie type now, after all and you certainly won't be able to make a three headed flying elephant eidolon. Or an armored mass of living disembodied shadow arms with a giant sword. Or a million other nonstandard ideas.
    I think the GMs who can handle options like that (which honestly sound mythic to me) can either stick wth the old summoner or, if that doesn't get them far enough, add houserules on top to make them happen. What I don't think is that options like these need to be available baseline.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

I would have high hopes for this book, but to me the ACG pretty well showed that Paizo isn't going to be moving in a direction I care for in the class design department. Some classes were fine, but the overall philosophy of the book, especially with the martial classes, was not promising. And let's not start on the editting.

I mean, we can't start on the editing. There wasn't any.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Why wouldn't you be able to make those?
    Why wouldn't you? I've had players come up with strange ideas that made me kind of go "Wat?", but that doesn't mean they should be denied the ability to make them.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Why wouldn't you? I've had players come up with strange ideas that made me kind of go "Wat?", but that doesn't mean they should be denied the ability to make them.
    Um... Yes? I agree
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Um... Yes? I agree
    Sorry, read that as "why would you want to make those"

The idea is that it's going to be more prebuilts, along the lines of Animal Companion. You don't get to design those, you pick one.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

The idea is that it's going to be more prebuilts, along the lines of Animal Companion. You don't get to design those, you pick one.
    Thing is, he's still talking about evolution lists plus some unique stuff per-form. If I can think of three ways to make that work well in the past 18 hours, I'm willing to bet they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Thing is, he's still talking about evolution lists plus some unique stuff per-form. If I can think of three ways to make that work well in the past 18 hours, I'm willing to bet they can.
    Really? What has Paizo done to deserve this faith

If we were talking DSP, I would agree.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

If we were talking DSP, I would agree.
    They are running this book seemingly as a shot at redemption. This at least implies that they realize there is stuff to fix, and I like what I've heard so far.

I'm a bit of an optimist as well as an optimizer.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

9. - Top - End - #189

Well considering you still have evolutions, it's not just Pick One. It sounds more like "Pick One Base, it gets some abilities based on your selected outsider type (like Angels getting the magic circle/invulnerability orb aura), and then you can chuck evolutions on it (just not Every Single Evolution Under The Sun).

IMO the hiring Mark Seifer, one of the only dev's who seems to have any grasp of balance... pretty sure he was one of the few people on paizo's boards who actually had any system mastery.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Make Fighters 4+Int and that one is basically solved, without impacting the skill paradigm at the high end. You can have your dumb bruiser if you want, or your tactical soldier, or your knight-errant.
    It does. But as far as I know that's not on the table for Unchained (though the lore stuff is a good start).

I think the GMs who can handle options like that (which honestly sound mythic to me) can either stick wth the old summoner or, if that doesn't get them far enough, add houserules on top to make them happen. What I don't think is that options like these need to be available baseline.
    Yeah. I can stick with the old summoner, but I'm actually interested in seeing the class tweaked as well and I think it's going to be harder to get "half old summoner, half new summoner" to fly than it would be to get either one on their own.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I would have high hopes for this book, but to me the ACG pretty well showed that Paizo isn't going to be moving in a direction I care for in the class design department. Some classes were fine, but the overall philosophy of the book, especially with the martial classes, was not promising. And let's not start on the editting.

I mean, we can't start on the editing. There wasn't any.
    That one was being rushed for GenCon though. I think we had a longer dev cycle for this title.

I can't speak for your class design aspirations/preferences, but I think several of the classes in that book were hits, most notably the Bloodrager, Brawler, Skald, Slayer, and Warpriest, and the rest of the crew got really fun toys and archetypes to play with. And I would love it if the Arcanist's form of preparation became the new norm.

It does. But as far as I know that's not on the table for Unchained (though the lore stuff is a good start).
    I haven't heard a thing about the Fighter in any of the previews myself, is this confirmed?

Yeah. I can stick with the old summoner, but I'm actually interested in seeing the class tweaked as well and I think it's going to be harder to get "half old summoner, half new summoner" to fly than it would be to get either one on their own.
    There's actually a quick and dirty way to do that. Old summoner chassis with new summoner spell list would likely tone down the original while letting you keep the 10-butts eidolon you want.

But yeah, I'm interested in the full extent of the tweaks they make too.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

That one was being rushed for GenCon though. I think we had a longer dev cycle for this title.
    I apologize that I can't find the quote at the moment (I'm on break at work, no time for google fu), but the idea that it was being rushed for Gencon was dispelled by Paizo. It was just an instance of shoddy worksmanship.

If someone can find the quote (or one disproving me, whatever) it would be appreciated.

The rogue changes presented in the first preview blog post sound interesting. It sounds a bit swashbuckerly (grit with a new name, dex to melee damage), but it'd be hard to make the class worse at this point.
    Last edited by Squirrel_Dude; 2015-04-03 at 03:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

I can't speak for your class design aspirations/preferences, but I think several of the classes in that book were hits, most notably the Bloodrager, Brawler, Skald, Slayer, and Warpriest, and the rest of the crew got really fun toys and archetypes to play with. And I would love it if the Arcanist's form of preparation became the new norm.
    I've heard that's what 5e did with all prepared casters.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Pretty much, yeah, although since it's WotC I'd perhaps point more towards the Spirit Shaman. And, of course, they only have a couple spells of each level above 5th.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Pretty much, yeah, although since it's WotC I'd perhaps point more towards the Spirit Shaman. And, of course, they only have a couple spells of each level above 5th.
    Yeah, I do like that method. Of course, I would like pure spontaneous, fixed list casters, and wizard style vancian to be the around for some variety.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #196

I haven't heard a thing about the Fighter in any of the previews myself, is this confirmed?
    It was mentioned in a convention panel, though it's not a fighter thing, but a Every PC thing. Every character gets +2 skills per level to select for background skills. The thing to help fighters is the Stamina/Fatigue system that gives extra options each combat feat you possess and scales with your BAB.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197

Ah, that's right, I did hear about the Stamina system.

Not sure how I feel about the background skills thing, I need to hear a bit more about that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

I've seen something similar to background skills as a pretty common houserule. 'Everyone gets 2 more skill points per level, which can only be spent in craft, profession, or perform'.

19. - Top - End - #199

Eh... other than Craft, that won't help fighters much at all. If that's what they're going for, I would hope that either that list is broader or that Fighters get that plus a boost to 4+Int.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by stack
    And let's not start on the editting.
    Speaking of which, I'm surprised no one's noted this.

21. - Top - End - #201

Eh... other than Craft, that won't help fighters much at all. If that's what they're going for, I would hope that either that list is broader or that Fighters get that plus a boost to 4+Int.
    The latter. I think. Because from what I understand, the subsystem is there for flavor, because sometimes it'd be nice to say your character can make origami mind flayers or has a day job as a seamstress but in order to mechanically recognize that you actually have to make your character worse which is just lame. Just keep it as is and then make sure every class that isn't int based has at least 4+ skill points.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm surprised no one's noted this.

Haha...though it would explain a lot if they wrote the book on a phone.

23. - Top - End - #203

The latest blog post on Unchained, listing information on the skills and feats chapter.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

The variant multiclassing sounds interesting.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed.

Also, this: "retroactively apply an effect (like declare a Stunning Fist after you already know your attack connected)". Quite a number of abilities in PF are pretty bad because they are sharply limited in usage and missing on an attack wastes them.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

So, point by point:

Background skills: cool, seen it done before, but at least that makes it an official source.

Skill Consolidation: not a fan, but some parties may need it. I'd apply it to a group if the lack was obvious.

Skill Groups: sounds great for noobs and system introduction.

Variant Multiclass: depending on how this runs, I'll be taking advantage of it on many characters, any that build feat-light. Could be fun.

Stamina System: I like what I see so far, but will require a lot of reading. Sounds like they tried to give bad feats much better Stamina powers to compensate, which could work.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, do you know about 4e? You see, 4e is Pathfinder. No joke, they make a lot of the same design decisions.

For example, multiclassing feats. In 4th edition, when you want to pick up other class features, you take a feat that gives you a class ability from another class. You also count as a member of that class for power source (so if a Wizard, arcane power source, took a fighter multiclass feat, he would also count as martial for prereqs). I think you also gain weapons proficiencies, or implement proficiencies.

It's pretty cool in some cases, like with one of the Avenger feats that gives Oath of Enmity (pick a target, you roll twice for attack rolls against it), which could recover the ability when you kill the target.

Now you can spend your feats in Pathfinder in order to take other class features.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, do you know about 4e? You see, 4e is Pathfinder. No joke, they make a lot of the same design decisions.

For example, multiclassing feats. In 4th edition, when you want to pick up other class features, you take a feat that gives you a class ability from another class. You also count as a member of that class for power source (so if a Wizard, arcane power source, took a fighter multiclass feat, he would also count as martial for prereqs). I think you also gain weapons proficiencies, or implement proficiencies.

It's pretty cool in some cases, like with one of the Avenger feats that gives Oath of Enmity (pick a target, you roll twice for attack rolls against it), which could recover the ability when you kill the target.

Now you can spend your feats in Pathfinder in order to take other class features.
    Stamina system: sounds like they cribbed some notes from 4e about encounter powers. Except then, they smashed it together with psionics.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

To be fair that was one of the few things I liked about 4e, this also seems much more... substantial then the feats from 4th.

I really want to see what you get for the feat loss from each class as this seems more like a 'soft' gestalt and could be really fun while making you curse out loud every time you want a feat for your new 'almost' class and can't because you gave it up that level!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not ragging on 4e or PF when I say that. It looks like a fun option and 4e was a fine system by the time it was done. It's just REALLY ironic when you look at the parallel design decisions, and how people gravitated to PF despite them doing the same thing in a lot of ways.

Of course, I feel that PF's popularity is primarily rooted in deceit, so it's not a surprise to me.
    Stamina system: sounds like they cribbed some notes from 4e about encounter powers. Except then, they smashed it together with psionics.
    Huh. Didn't notice.