New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 44 Parson's Klog Page 4

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Robot View Post
    Nice Klog entry, I like this method of advancing the story, very unique.

I'm also liking the fact that there does seem to be developed rules for 'Erfworld' the game. Can't wait until we are shown more of the actual mechanics (so that we might be able to play at home!)
    Exactly what I was thinking. I was going to suggest that someone start assembling all this info into one big file for us. That would be awesome.

'I consider you a "unit" in the metaphorical sense.' Wonder what that means.

Clubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Founder of the Explosive Runes fanclub! To join, put a line in your sig.
    Official Sloganmaker and Eloquist of the Vaarsuvius Fanclub.
    Member of the ヒソジヨ Fanclub.
    Member of the カヅミ and ダイゴ [Kazumi and Daigo] fanclub.

Thanks to Mr. Saturn for the Dire Laptop avatar.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

This klog certainly explains why losing the previous warlord at Warchalking was such a turning point in the battle if it meant everyone losing their warlord bonus. We also have yet another reason why taking out Ansom is crucial for Gobwin Knob's survival if his warlord bonuses are as impressive as one would guess at this point.

I wonder what the bonuses were of Stanley's previous Warlords were, and which stats they have an effect on (apparently not movement unless the warlord bonus is listed elsewhere and is not inclusive in the stats)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glome View Post
    I wonder what the bonuses were of Stanley's previous Warlords were, and which stats they have an effect on (apparently not movement unless the warlord bonus is listed elsewhere and is not inclusive in the stats)
    That's not absolutely certain (it may be that "Garrison" units have zero move, do not pass "GO", do not collect leader bonuses), but it's the simplest interpretation.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-04-12 at 09:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

RE: Bonus of 2. Well, the klog mentions that the stack bonus goes up to 8. If it's linear, that means the Parson contributes about as much as adding 2 units to the stack.

=======================

What I'm wondering is how a stack's attributes add up. I'll assume for this discussion that Uncroaked have a power of 1.

If you have 3 Uncroaked in a stack, does the stack have a power of 9 (1 for base + 2 for group, times 3)? Or 3 (1 for base, plus 2 for group) but take more hits to kill? Or does the stack not have a power of its own, and is therefore a bit of a misnomer -- in this case you'd have 3 units with a power of 3.

If it's the first possibility, it might explain why we've seen a couple of cases of a "big" unit grouped with a bunch of smaller units (the gwiffon & the orlies, the troll and the uncroaked). Under that system there wouldn't be a whole lot of point to stacking a bunch of similar medium-powered units, as after a while the cumulative leadership bonus of the stack becomes quite large.

=======================

I'm also wondering how large of a group counts as being under "his command". Is it limited to a single stack?
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2007-04-12 at 09:25 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think that it can be a single stack. since if that were the case, Wanda would've summoned the number of units in stanley's army/8 warlords instead of one.

Duncan by Abardam, Spike by Quincunx

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Kanthalion View Post
    I don't think that it can be a single stack. since if that were the case, Wanda would've summoned the number of units in stanley's army/8 warlords instead of one.
    "...Any unit with leadership ability is called a 'Commander' or 'Warlord.' These units give a bonus to units under their command.... As Chief Warlord, my leadership bonus applies to all units of my capital...." (emphasis added).

This would seem to imply that a lesser warlord would apply his bonus less broadly (possibly all the way down "only to the stack they're with").
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-04-12 at 09:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien_Freak View Post
    'I consider you a "unit" in the metaphorical sense.' Wonder what that means.
    assuming you aren't kidding, "unit," metaphorically speaking, means the same as "Tool"--on several different levels

8. - Top - End - #38

Griffon

Checking back, Webinar's group had eight beings in it, including himself.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    "As Chief Warlord, my leadership bonus applies to all units of my capital." (emphasis added). This would seem to imply that a lesser warlord would apply his bonus less broadly (possibly all the way down "only to the stack they're with").
    I just looked at the cast of characters page, and I think you have a point: Jill is a warlord, but she is obviously not in charge of the whole army. I don't see the whole command structure, but it would seem that the Chief Warlord is over the whole army as a unit like Jill or Sir Webinar is over a stack. I wonder if there is a level between stack and army?

edit: I also wonder if the CW(Anson) bonus and the SW(Sir Webinar) bonus stack?

edit2: regarding Bogroll's movement, his class on the cast of characters page is garrison, so I think that his 0 move is indeed a function of his class, seeing as a garrison unit has no need to leave its strong point.
    Last edited by Kanthalion; 2007-04-12 at 09:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

ooooohhhh...regeneration
    Memento mori

I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

This makes it seem more likely that he'll break the rules, or at least be able to ignore them somehow....
    "Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't comin' back, burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, but you can't take the sky from me."

May the Force be with you.

Why are you standing in the courtyard holding a parasol painted like a bullseye?

Highlight: I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
    Checking back, Webinar's group had eight beings in it, including himself.
    And Jillian went on her scouting mission on page 9 along with 6 orlies and her Gwiffon.
    Last edited by Doshi; 2007-04-12 at 10:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

How broad Parson's bonus applies. Silly me -- paying attention for the lose.

"...applies to all units of my capital."

So the leadership bonus would normally apply to everything in the stack, but Parson's (and one would assume Ansom's as well) applies to every unit assigned to the capital city.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    How broad Parson's bonus applies. Silly me -- paying attention for the lose.

"...applies to all units of my capital."

So the leadership bonus would normally apply to everything in the stack, but Parson's (and one would assume Ansom's as well) applies to every unit assigned to the capital city.
    Hmmm... presumably Stanley has some leadership ability (he was surprised when he couldn't see Parson's stats, so either he's a "warlord" or a "caster"; the former seems more plausible given his role), but still needed to get himself a new chief warlord.

And he thinks Parson, with his crappy +2 bonus, is worth keeping.

Does this imply that his own bonus is a crappier +1 (or even +0, if it's possible to have that and technically count as a "warlord")?

This may also shed some light on why Ansom thinks that a "common infantry" person shouldn't become commander-in-chief -- it may be a matter of course in Erfworld that nobles and royals have better command stats.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... presumably Stanley has some leadership ability (he was surprised when he couldn't see Parson's stats, so either he's a "warlord" or a "caster"; the former seems more plausible given his role), but still needed to get himself a new chief warlord.

And he thinks Parson, with his crappy +2 bonus, is worth keeping.

Does this imply that his own bonus is a crappier +1 (or even +0, if it's possible to have that and technically count as a "warlord")?

This may also shed some light on why Ansom thinks that a "common infantry" person shouldn't become commander-in-chief -- it may be a matter of course in Erfworld that nobles and royals have better command stats.
    I figured it was implying that while a + 2 is really not that bad The Tool figured it would be more what with the upkeep, and the casting of the spell to summon him.
    A Lannister always repays his debts!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

It was noted long ago that Erfworld has the most similarities with the game Warlords II. Or maybe it was Warlord III, I don't remember now. So the game mechanics would probably work roughly like that.

In Warlords I, a +2 warlord isn't such a bad find, early on. Though, not for 1000 shmuckers a turn!
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

17. - Top - End - #47

Stanley can't be the Chief Warlord, he's busy being the Overlord. I imagine you can only occupy one rank at a time. Stanley seems like the kind of guy who would just do the warlord job himself if he could

I think I might have an idea what Parson's benefit is. Since a Warlord being present in a stack dictates to a large degree what decisions that stack is in fact capable of making (eg to attack or not) having Parson in a stack might mean that his stack is capable of deciding to move out of turn. Unlike Erfworld units, even the high ranked ones, Parson has a mostly-free will. He isn't constrained to either the idea, nor the mental laws of turn-based living.

That's entirely postulative of course.

In Warlords II, I believe +2 was actually the best a Warlord could have without magical items.
    Last edited by Erk; 2007-04-12 at 11:42 PM.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

In Warlords I (which I've been playing with for a little while), you need either a Temple blessing or items, since all heros start at strength 5, enough for +1.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Holy boop, I must be as thick as... something really thick. Possibly porridge.

Second last panel of Erfworld 34, Ansom checks in on his communication hat-thing. Last panel, Webinar and Dora, holding Jillian's hat and sword. Was I the only person not to make the connection that the scouts had just claimed Jillian's items?

Ouch. Needs to open my eyes a little.
    --

Meta Knight avatar courtesy of Connor DarkDart.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Meanwhile, just 'cos Parson only has a leadership bonus of +2 doesn't mean it's a bad thing.. Stats don't necessarily equate: Warhammer players know that the Leadership of normal infantry tends to be 7 or 8, whereas their Strength is 3, or 4 for especially strong units.
    --

Meta Knight avatar courtesy of Connor DarkDart.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Azukar View Post
    Meanwhile, just 'cos Parson only has a leadership bonus of +2 doesn't mean it's a bad thing.. <snip>
    It was Parson who said that his leadership bonus was "not too great". If he hadn't said that I would've thought that +2 was pretty good since it would increase Bogroll's stats by a decent multiple. Then again, you can get a +8 bonus just for being in a full stack...then again then again, his leadership bonus is for every Gobwin Knob unit.

Do we even know which stats get those bonuses? I'm assuming Combat and Defense.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-04-13 at 12:44 AM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sail west into the sunset! Farther! Farther! Oops, you fell off the Earth.

I've never really had a reason to analyze a comic before. This is kinda.. cool.

Might as well add my two and a half cents to this conversation, whatever they're worth. This is my opinion, but I don't see Overlord Stanly as very strategically inclined. It seems more to me, from how he was apparently further upset by Parson's low bonus, that it's not so much he's considering the possibility that Parson may have a redeeming ability as it's Wanda who is and won't give Stanly a choice. However, it is always possible that Parson is like unto Erfworld as Missingno. was to Pokemon (it's the only thing I could relate it to), basically a glitch that the rules can't relate to, so it makes up random wierd stuff to fill in the gaps, such as one or two mind-numbingly high stats, plenty of sub-par stuff that the good stats can't work without, an ability he can't even use, an awesome super attack that is fundamentally flawed, and the sole redeeming ability to do things that defy the program, and also destroy it at the same time. Of course, there's always the chance that he's the product of divine intervention, or that there could be a DM who's running the show and figured that he needed a better villain (especially since Parson seemed to recognize the castle and general theme of the battle).

I don't know about you guys, but I'll just wait untill the comic progresses a little further.

EDIT: The latter two seem to make more sense now that I just remembered the 'Stupid Meals' with their convenient wisdom and suspiciously useful toy.
    Last edited by Madhatter_-32F; 2007-04-13 at 01:05 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay for random quiz answers!

Don't press this button.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't press the button.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, don't press this button then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stop pressing the button!
    Spoiler
    Show
    How many times do I have to tell you not to press the button!?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stop, you'll kill us all!
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there's a button and a sign saying 'press to destroy the world' with you around, the paint won't have time to dry!
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're despicable..

23. - Top - End - #53

Hehe, there is a DM, his name is "Rob".
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatter_-32F View Post

Might as well add my two and a half cents to this conversation, whatever they're worth. This is my opinion, but I don't see Overlord Stanly as very strategically inclined. It seems more to me, from how he was apparently further upset by Parson's low bonus, that it's not so much he's considering the possibility that Parson may have a redeeming ability as it's Wanda who is and won't give Stanly a choice. However, it is always possible that Parson is like unto Erfworld as Missingno. was to Pokemon (it's the only thing I could relate it to), basically a glitch that the rules can't relate to, so it makes up random wierd stuff to fill in the gaps, such as one or two mind-numbingly high stats, plenty of sub-par stuff that the good stats can't work without, an ability he can't even use, an awesome super attack that is fundamentally flawed, and the sole redeeming ability to do things that defy the program, and also destroy it at the same time.
    If you want another analogy, try .Hack. Kite, Aura, Tri-Edge, all of those were much like you describe Parson -characters in a game that could alter it when they so wanted, even against the will of the supposed GMs.

And yeah, it would be useful to have some reference point as to what are "good" and "bad" stats, to be able to judge, as different games sport vastly different ranges of numbers. Hearing +2 bonus doesn't sound too impressive for us D&D junkies, but ask any warhammer 40k player what a +2 bonus to BS does to the enemy and you'll start to see what I mean ;)

25. - Top - End - #55

Yes, give in to the Geekside. Feeeeel its power!

Might as well add my two and a half cents to this conversation, whatever they're worth.
    Two and a half cents, I'd wager.

This is my opinion, but I don't see Overlord Stanly as very strategically inclined. It seems more to me, from how he was apparently further upset by Parson's low bonus, that it's not so much he's considering the possibility that Parson may have a redeeming ability as it's Wanda who is and won't give Stanly a choice.
    I agree. It's an unfortunate fact of life that even managers who are dynamic and self-improving can be very pessimistic about the people around them, assuming that everyone else will be no better tomorrow than they are today.

It's even more unfortunate how accurate that expectation can be.

However, it is always possible that Parson is like unto Erfworld as Missingno. was to Pokemon (it's the only thing I could relate it to), basically a glitch that the rules can't relate to, so it makes up random wierd stuff to fill in the gaps, such as one or two mind-numbingly high stats, plenty of sub-par stuff that the good stats can't work without, an ability he can't even use, an awesome super attack that is fundamentally flawed, and the sole redeeming ability to do things that defy the program, and also destroy it at the same time.
    That seems to be Parson's opinion.

Of course, there's always the chance that he's the product of divine intervention, or that there could be a DM who's running the show and figured that he needed a better villain (especially since Parson seemed to recognize the castle and general theme of the battle).
    Parson recognized it because Stanley specified that during the spellcasting. "Everything should seem familiar and safe to him. No crazy surprises."

Quote Originally Posted by Erk View Post
    Hehe, there is a DM, his name is "Rob".
    Something about the way you put that made me think of how Belkar would say it: Erfworld has a DM, it starts with "R" and ends with "ob Balder and Jamie Noguchi".
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    Yes, give in to the Geekside. Feeeeel its power!
    A reader's strength flows from Reason. But beware of the dark side. Analysis... geekery... speculation. The dark side of Reason are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a debate. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I want to see special regeneration in action and other powers, units have.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

There could be ranks of leadership units: Overlord, Chief Warlord, Warlord, Commander. Commander could be a 'normal' unit that has the Leadership bonus, Warlord and Chief Warlord could just be 'commander' units that have been upgraded. This seems to be to be similar to Civlilzation games, in a way. What with Unit Upkeep, the units being based on a city, garrison units that can't move, ect. That's just my take. It could be that, as Parson's knowledge of Erfworld grows, his leadership bonus might also grow, and that all he knows about is the basics of combat and magic, so he has just a +2. Maybe with each area of mastery or more information, that bonus would rise. His upkeep might be so high because he is such a special unit, perhaps he has no attack or defense score and can't harm or be harmed by other units, only captured or 'killed' instantly, like the settler unit or the spy unit.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh WOW! Go and grab a pair of 3D glasses. The 3D Bogroll actually works!

Pclips - you guys never cease to amaze.
    Hate me for the right reasons.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    Parson recognized it because Stanley specified that during the spellcasting. "Everything should seem familiar and safe to him. No crazy surprises."
    I hadn't made that connection (I figured it was just that the similarity between the geography of Gobwin Knob and that of Parson's scenario was the reason Wanda locked onto him instead of somebody else), but it does make sense.

Edit: It's become clear that quite a few things in the rules for how Erfworld works are not at all "familiar" to him, and instead constitute "crazy surprises". Presumably, this can be chalked up to the limitations of how close a match Wanda was able to find for Stanley's last-minute criteria.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-04-13 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Additional thought