New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Sherlock Season 4 [Expect Spoilers]

We're one episode in and my centerpiece theory for the season (on Mary's backstory) has already turned out to be a bust. But then, what else is new? My centerpiece theories have fallen through since I began making them. (Which does, on the bright side, bode well for the Empire of Tamriel.) And the track record for adapting Valley of Fear makes my own track record look downright sterling. It's been done all of three times - two that were so badly handled that it was not at all apparent there was supposed to be a twist, and one lost silent film we can probably mark for a ditto.

But I have to take it as a very ominous sign that everyone who liked this episode is firmly convinced that it's not strictly representing reality, and then goes on to propose a theory which, on screen, would be even MORE baffling than Six Thatchers already was.

I'd simplify. It's an incoherent pile of coagulated soap opera. And that just breaks my heart into little pieces.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Sherlock Season 4 [Expect Spoilers]

Adore Sherlock series, new season really good

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DallerMan View Post
    Adore Sherlock series, new season really good
    Well, that's... Compact?

I need to watch the latest episode, tomorrow probably.

First one was a mixed batch.. Overall I was entertained enough, though still not up to the old glory, but I hated the final bits. Like, why? WHY? Maybe we'll get some resolution but overall I'm suspicious on whether it will be convincing...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    First one was a mixed batch.. Overall I was entertained enough, though still not up to the old glory, but I hated the final bits. Like, why? WHY? Maybe we'll get some resolution but overall I'm suspicious on whether it will be convincing...
    I agree... it seemed like a sort of Sherlock 'best of' but at the same time they've been away for like... more than 2 years so you can hardly expect them to be on top of their game right away. They need to reacclimate old fans and introduce new fans.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, that's... Compact?
    I think it's a bot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Why would Mary take a bullet for Sherlock anyway?

If she has time to jump in front of the bullet, he has time to move.
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodean_ View Post

She's a highly trained super spy in peak physical condition.

He's an arrogant selfish prick who is delusional about his own infallibility who admittedly is somewhat talented at punching people.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'm more puzzled why it even got to that point.

She's a super agent who's confronting the person who killed her friends/family. I'd have thought she'd put a bullet in the woman's head before she could even raise the gun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Because bullets travel at the Speed of Plot, that's why.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-01-09 at 06:38 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGirl

Still not as contrived as John's affair. And the affair wasn't even contrived in the sense of facilitating anything else in the plot. It's just... the OOC. It burns.

New episode's out. Word says Culvy is every bit as creepy as he ought to be. But I think I'll wait for the all-clear from you guys. You're picky. Usually too picky, but that last episode burned me but hard.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The second episode was a lot better than the first. It still wasn't great but I didn't hate it and I'll watch the third one now.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nai_Calus View Post
    The second episode was a lot better than the first. It still wasn't great but I didn't hate it and I'll watch the third one now.
    It was solid - It just feels like now the show is more dedicated to creating loosely connected movies rather than a proper tv show. Does that make sense?
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

13. - Top - End - #13

ClericGirl

Yeah. It's like, their new artistic focus is on psychedelic montage cuts as framing device. I mean, there were significant amounts of deduction in this one. As well as a very good Culverton Smith (shoot, he even looked the part, and that's no mean feat; I always pictured him looking like Victoria's dad from The Corpse Bride.) But the whole game of figuring out what this or that random cut has to do with anything currently going on... not a fan. Nor am I a fan of the way Sherlock sounded exactly as self-medicated in the first episode as he did in the second, where he WAS self-medicated. It's just so strange to film Sherlock Holmes, a story that's about high reasoning if it's about anything, in such a fundamentally disorienting style.

But I did like this one a lot better. For the reasons already listed, but also because I went in knowing that, as far as Dying Detective is concerned, Jeremy Brett had the competition in the bag.
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2017-01-16 at 12:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    It's just so strange to film Sherlock Holmes, a story that's about high reasoning if it's about anything, in such a fundamentally disorienting style.
    This. I want Sherlock to be fairly clean cut and precise. This is... overwhelming.
    My Metal Blog

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Saw the third episode, and I'm not sure what I feel about it...

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: No, seriously, spoilers for the third episode in here.
    Show
    The sister's ability to control someone after just a few minutes of conversation goes beyond what I'm willing to believe and WAY into the territory of sci-fi.
    I find it funny that almost at the same time a character from "The Librarians" got more or less the same ability.

The ending was also "huh?". I mean, really? All she needed was a hug?

There is also the point that I generally dislike "escape room" episodes, but that's a personal preference.

Still there are a few points that I can give the episode.
    The part with the glass was awesome, the revelation about the plane was also good, and I'm also not against a plot based on Sherlock's repressed memories

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    She's a highly trained super spy in peak physical condition.

He's an arrogant selfish prick who is delusional about his own infallibility who admittedly is somewhat talented at punching people.
    Together, they fight crime?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Show
    The sister's ability to control someone after just a few minutes of conversation goes beyond what I'm willing to believe and WAY into the territory of sci-fi.
    I find it funny that almost at the same time a character from "The Librarians" got more or less the same ability.

There is also the point that I generally dislike "escape room" episodes, but that's a personal preference.

The part with the glass was awesome, the revelation about the plane was also good, and I'm also not against a plot based on Sherlock's repressed memories

The Librarians ability is very different. Reading and Sending thoughts to someone else.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I finally got around to watching, so now I get to involve myself with this thread.

The bullet is something Mary would consider hers because it is (from her perspective) her past catching up to her.

Although, people faking their own deaths (as Holmes apparently did) leaves the door open a crack to a different possibility. Moriarty was actually the actor he claimed to be, and Mary is the antagonist of the series. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case because she died in Dr. Watson's arms, making it extremely unlikely he'd be tricked.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Show

Spoiler: 3rd Episode Tonal Issue
    Show

I liked the 3rd episode all the way up to the ending, which is meant to be a pat ending (in case this is the last episode of the series, even though that hasn't been announced). The entire episode was pretty dark and having it end as a "and they lived happily ever after" just felt weird.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just finished watching the third episode myself and I was distinctly underwhelmed. It just didn't seem to make much sense.

Spoiler
    Show

Euros tried to kill Sherlock by burning down the house, and definitely *did* kill his best friend--or possibly another brother we'd not heard about, that part was unclear--yet it was him threatening to kill himself that forced her hand in the prison?

If they do a fifth season they really need to go back to the "solving crimes" stuff and drop the cloak and dagger, I think.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Just finished watching the third episode myself and I was distinctly underwhelmed. It just didn't seem to make much sense.

Spoiler
    Show

Euros tried to kill Sherlock by burning down the house, and definitely *did* kill his best friend--or possibly another brother we'd not heard about, that part was unclear--yet it was him threatening to kill himself that forced her hand in the prison?

If they do a fifth season they really need to go back to the "solving crimes" stuff and drop the cloak and dagger, I think.
    Spoiler: Eurus
    Show

Adult Eurus subconsciously wanted Sherlock to help her. She didn't want him to kill himself. The conscious "torture Sherlock" portion of Eurus didn't want Sherlock to end the game by just choosing to off himself; that's cheating.

22. - Top - End - #22

Well, I'm a right sucker for criminal mind games...

Spoiler
    Show
    And it was a lot of fun to imagine Moriarty sitting around thinking of irritating/ominous recordings to leave for Eurus to screw with Sherlock after his death.

Not crazy about them killing off the consistently capable female character in the show (not counting Irene for a number of reasons, not the least being that she only appears as sexy moaning text alerts) and then revealing that the one Holmes sister is smarter than all of them, but wildly emotionally unstable.

On a different note, it would be nice if they told us that Mycroft was the smarter one a bit less and showed us a bit more.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    Well, I'm a right sucker for criminal mind games...

Spoiler
    Show

On a different note, it would be nice if they told us that Mycroft was the smarter one a bit less and showed us a bit more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is one of the big reasons I hated the final episode.

Mycroft is shown as being both smart and ruthless in earlier episodes. In this one, he's an absolute idiot. It takes Watson to make the connection that the prison is compromised, when even I worked that out before they even arrived on the island. Mycroft knows his sister best, and should have known that playing along with her games was stupid, plane or not. NONE of them come to realization that she'll never let them win, even when she kills the innocents along with the guilty party with the 3 dudes. As for Dr Watson, he's already shown he can act decisively when lives are on the line...so why did he not shoot the warden, exactly? Her killing the wife was exactly predictable after the warden offed himself.

Beyond that, the entire thing is just stupid and impossible. Someone with the ability to mind control someone within 5 minutes is utterly unbelievable. Everyone knows this ability of hers...and yet her cell has speakers. Holmes's house just happens to have gravestones that make no sense...just so that Euros can make a puzzle out of them? Euros is enough in control over the scared little girl part of her subconscious that she can whip it out just to taunt them, but can then insta-snap it away again with no side-effects? At the end, Mycroft says security has been tightened, because "people have died". Um, people freaking died already - that psychologist the prison warden got to interview her. The security wasn't tightened then? Or was he already in her pocket before that?

If she has to be alone with someone to control them, how the heck did she take control of the ENTIRE PRISON? Didn't any of the other dozens of guards notice anything amiss? Did the prison warden send them in for 1 one 1 counseling sessions or something?? It really feels like Moffat ran out of Sherlock plots and dug into his "rejected scripts" drawer to pull out a Doctor Who episode that got vetoed.

The whole thing was a hot mess, and I'd much rather have ended my watching of the series after the second episode.

24. - Top - End - #24

ClericGirl

Moffat explains that now, humanized at long last, Benedict Cumberbatch can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett. Dude, Benedict Cumberbatch started off in that position. A cold Sherlock Holmes, a warm Sherlock Holmes, a... looks-really-good-on-posters Sherlock Holmes (okay, so I've never been too thrilled with Rathbone) - these are all capable of greatness. A Sherlock Holmes that has ceased to make sense? Not a snowball's.

Oddly, a search for "sherlock season 4 jumped the shark", no phrases, brings up a vast opinion that season three was the actual jump point. Am I alone in liking season three? If so, could it be simply because I was just so sure that Mary was going to be Jack McMurdo (having heard of Jack McMurdo being something I've long since accepted being mostly alone in)? Man. Makes me feel like a Luke/Leia diehard walking out of Return of the Jedi.

As regards your spoiler, Rodin:

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there any evidence that Moftiss have read the Foundation Trilogy? I elected to spoil myself rather than bother with the finale, but that might explain a lot about Eurus. Not least her more-twist-than-sense identity reveal at the end of episode two. Second Foundation was pretty much 60% made up of scenes like that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I might be in the minority here but I actually kind of enjoyed this season. But I do think it doesn't really compare to the first 2, which were great.

I also agree that Mycroft really has been a let down, really the whole show, but it really reaches new heights here. It's been fairly consistent since the beginning that he is "The smart one." But the only thing he's done that's been truly smart has been to figure out a minor case about a guy killing himself with a boomerang from the police report, while Sherlock required John to go out and record the area with a laptop. This is Mycroft Holmes. The only character in the books that is quantifiably smarter than Sherlock. And I know that he's a very changed character from his book counterpart, really his work ethic is the exact opposite end of the spectrum. But, if they keep bringing up how intelligent he is, it's strange and annoying that the writers keep going out of their way to dumb him down.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    Oddly, a search for "sherlock season 4 jumped the shark", no phrases, brings up a vast opinion that season three was the actual jump point. Am I alone in liking season three?
    Pretty clearly not. Just look at the individual season scores on Rotten Tomatoes:

Season 1: 100%
    Season 2: 100%
    Season 3: 97%
    Victorian Christmas special: 69%
    Season 4: 57%

So, there was arguably a small drop in form in season 3--enough that *every single critic* didn't sing the show's praises like they did for the first two--but it's clear that any shark-jumping shenanigans are firmly after that point.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Pretty clearly not. Just look at the individual season scores on Rotten Tomatoes:

Season 1: 100%
    Season 2: 100%
    Season 3: 97%
    Victorian Christmas special: 69%
    Season 4: 57%

So, there was arguably a small drop in form in season 3--enough that *every single critic* didn't sing the show's praises like they did for the first two--but it's clear that any shark-jumping shenanigans are firmly after that point.
    I did feel a bit cheated between season 2&3 (and reminded of that between 3&VCS). They made a big thing about the survival being a puzzle we could work out ('clue everyone missed'), and then apparently didn't have a really working solution. But the season itself was ok.

4-1& 4-3, especially had some nice scenes, but logic seems to fall apart very very quickly between them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Before the end Eurus seemed very in control of her 'in a plane' persona (did Holmes hear her as a child or as an adult).
    Moving the 'cell' to the 'house', why?
    The grenade seems too chaotic to be rely on them surviving.
    When were the graves marked.
    (Mycroft did explain why he was in disguise though)

Agree with Mycroft, being sold short, he had the authority, but didn't show the genius. It would have been nice to see him doing sherlock stuff with countries or something (with no space for the little details).
    Last edited by jayem; 2017-01-18 at 06:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For me, the first episode was reasonably decent - about as strong as some of the weaker episodes of the earlier seasons like the Hound of the Baskervilles one. The second episode was just all around great, mainly because Toby Jones is awesome. It was really only the third episode that let me down completely.

29. - Top - End - #29

Episode 2 was the only good thing about Season 3, but every episode of Season 4 made me pine for even the bad episodes of old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGirl

Blind Banker is still the third-worst and something I'm not keen on watching ever again. But I will never reject any other episode in the first three seasons.