New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XVIII: Invisible Hand of the Legendary Smoke Knights

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The Master IS living in the Tower it seems. (I had not noticed that). That really is a big step towards Eiffel being the Master (not proof yet) as in the real world after the Tower was built Eiffel, lived there for the rest of his life.
    According to The Works (the non-canon card game released before the comic) the Master of Paris is...

Spoiler
    Show
    "Simon Voltaire"

Which... could be interesting on a few levels if he follows his RL namesake at all.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Exposition via puppet theatre. GG GG.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    According to The Works (the non-canon card game released before the comic) the Master of Paris is...

Spoiler
    Show
    "Simon Voltaire"

Which... could be interesting on a few levels if he follows his RL namesake at all.
    How accurate has the card game been in the past?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    How accurate has the card game been in the past?
    Mostly. Some character designs have changed here and there. And some of the early plots ideas hinted at in The Works (Gil becoming a villain for a while) were completely dropped and/or radically reworked very early on. But it's been more or less accurate. In broad strokes, at least. It's best viewed as a peek at the universe of GG when it was still in a formative stage. Things that appeared early on in the story are far more likely to be accurate than things that appeared years later (or are yet to appear). Hence the non-canon tag.

=====

Speaking of which, knowing that, in the early days at least, Gil was indeed going to take a stroll down the Dark Side (this was also hinted at in the the Secret Blueprints) and that Klaus was supposed to be killed outright early on, one can sorta see it how it would have played out in the Long Term Metastory.

There are echos of it with Klaus being removed from the story by getting trapped in the time bubble (instead of getting killed far earlier). Gil being forced to rule the Empire with a copy of daddy in his head and his slightly psycho behavior because of his refusal to sleep is, in a way, having Gil serve the narrative role of being a villain without actually being one. The wedge that was supposed to be driven between Gil and Agatha is still present, if different. Just goes to show that one can still have a (Very) Long Term Metaplot and make numerous changes along the way.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

2015-05-27 Update: OK, the Master's name is Voltaire, as with The Works card. Why do the Parisian puppets (but not the Klaus one) have such dark skin? Tanning beds? Background radiation? Artistic license on the part of the puppeteers?

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Dictionary
    Parnassus - (Greek mythology) a mountain in central Greece where (according to Greek mythology) the Muses lived; known as the mythological home of music and poetry; "Liakoura is the modern name of Mount Parnassus"
    link
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-05-27 at 07:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Also Montparnasse is a district in Paris (I think because revolution-era french leaders had a HUGE boner for everything vaguely greek or roman).
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

RE the Klaus puppet: The Master may expect him to come back, so why switch to a Gil puppet?

I would imagine the Master already knows Agatha is in Paris and she's going to be under constant observation. Maybe she should just go and ask to see him. If not, they're probably going to have to find a place to stay. I wonder what their plans are.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    2015-05-27 Update: OK, the Master's name is Voltaire, as with The Works card. Why do the Parisian puppets (but not the Klaus one) have such dark skin? Tanning beds? Background radiation? Artistic license on the part of the puppeteers?

link
    Well the implication is that those puppets weren't built, but rather used to be people who committed some wrongdoing and were punished for it by being used as parts for artistic projects, so that's probably their natural skin colour.

The skintone is probably meant to reinforce that Paris is a multicultural haven that has a population composed of people from numerous parts of the world gathered together in a somewhat dystopian society focused on art and creation and ruled by a tyrannical dictator.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Why do the Parisian puppets (but not the Klaus one) have such dark skin? Tanning beds? Background radiation? Artistic license on the part of the puppeteers?
    IRL, France had a lot of colonies in Africa and the Caribbean, and relatively little racism, so a lot of French citizens have been black or mixed blood. Probably the most famous would be Alexandre Dumas, whose father was a nobleman, a high ranking military, and son of a black slave. The latter seem to have marked him not at all.

In GG, it seems this has been exaggerated, which is fine by me.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #220
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow. Amazing how menacing a cartoon puppet can be...

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Whoa! Somebody sure called it on Monday; these puppets used to be PEOPLE!
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

RE the Master's threat to deal harshly with anyone who causes trouble in Paris: I doubt this is anything Agatha didn't expect. Remember, she used to be the student (and according to the novels, secretary) of Dr. Beetle; and you broke the law in Beetleburg, you'd be sealed in a giant glass bottle so people could watch you die slow and horrible. Klaus' SOP was/is "DON'T make me come over there!"; and if they DID make him come over there, they regretted it. And she herself told the prisoners in Castle Heterodyne they'd get the full force of her killer castle on the backs of their necks if they didn't obey her. Absolute monarchs are absolute.

I also doubt the Master is prepared for the kind of trouble Agatha is going to create just by being in his city, though.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

I can't wait to see what kind of clusterfluffle Agatha manages to get Paris involved in. Then again, maybe this time she manages go to a town, stay there a bit, and leave without the town going up in flames (or worse) by the time she leaves.

Oh, who am I kidding. Paris is doomed.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2015-05-28 at 03:25 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I can't wait to see what kind of clusterfluffle Agatha manages to get Paris involved in. Then again, maybe this time she manages go to a town, stay there a bit, and leave without the town going up in flames (or worse) by the time she leaves.

Oh, who am I kidding. Paris is doomed.
    And I can't wait to see her kick the Master's smarmy butt.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

...Maybe the Master is actually a friendly, charming, and inviting person? Our only sources as to his demeanor so far are a puppet show designed to intimidate visitors into not causing trouble, and Othar who is Othar.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    ...Maybe the Master is actually a friendly, charming, and inviting person? Our only sources as to his demeanor so far are a puppet show designed to intimidate visitors into not causing trouble, and Othar who is Othar.
    Considering his city is pretty much THE tourist destination for all sorts of people including academics, party lovers, and dilettantes of all shapes and sizes, I would imagine he probably is. His town is pretty clearly not run by fear or else it wouldnt be so popular. I imagine its actually more of a pax transylvania theme small scale. "Dont make me come over there" Follow the simple rules and you will never have a problem with him. Break the peace and there WILL be a problem.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually thought he was fairly likeable in his dealings with Othar.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

...Maybe the Master is actually a friendly, charming, and inviting person?
    What would be the fun in that?

Based mostly on Othar's tweets, I expect him to be rather like Terry Pratchett's Discworld character Havelock Vetinari. Similarities: incredibly intelligent; benevolent tyrant; not really "likeable" because he won't allow anyone to get close enough to him; prefers to operate in the shadows; generally tolerant, but ruthless towards anything that threatens his control; believes that the end justifies the means and sometimes (other) people need to make sacrifices for the greater good; very manipulative; generally plays people against each other rather than confront them directly; pragmatic; Machiavellian; has an incredible intelligence network.

The thing that would make Vetinari different than a spark is that he doesn't seem to need to create things. I get the impression that the Master does create art or things that enable it or showcase it. That's probably the biggest difference between the two that I can think of. Another is that Vetinari probably thinks that art is generally superfluous and he hates mimes, but I think the Master of Paris loves art and would support mimes as performance art.

FWIW, Bloody Stupid Johnson, the architect who designed some of the things at Vetinari's palace, seems to have been more like a spark, though. Also, there is Leonard of Quirm, who Vetinari keeps in his dungeon, but he's not really mad enough to be a spark.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Snerk.

That is all I have to say, really.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is a verra nize hat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, we may also be seeing an angry visit to a haberdasher soon, and/or a discussion on royalties

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    It is a verra nize hat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, we may also be seeing an angry visit to a haberdasher soon, and/or a discussion on royalties
    Royalties? Maybe not. Agatha doesn't focus on money much.

Using her name without permission? That's probably going to rankle a bit, but she IS a public figure. And she's not like her forefathers, who would lay waste countrysides for minor matters.

Showing her bare shouldered and wearing nothing but a sheet and hat? Somebody's going to die. O_O;

(It HAS been 2.5 years since Mechanicsbuerg was frozen. The public and Paris hat makers may not even know Agatha's out and about. She may not have to visit them, they may come running to her to beg forgiveness. And get marketing deals...)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If anything, she should be in that dress from her Sturmhalten debut, just, you know, recolored to match the hat. Just putting her in a sheet doesn't really do her (or the hat) justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    If anything, she should be in that dress from her Sturmhalten debut, just, you know, recolored to match the hat. Just putting her in a sheet doesn't really do her (or the hat) justice.
    There is a time when advertisers use pretty girl in nize dress, and a time when they use word "sin" and suggestion "just drop the sheet and she would be naked". It is quite ironic that this sort of advertising may bother Gil more than Agatha.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm getting a not-quite-human vibe off the master. It may just be the scary sparkiness. Unless he's a Drow. . . .

25. - Top - End - #235

Spoiler: New Comic
    Show
    I think I laughed out loud when I saw Gil and Agatha on the opera poster there.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Black Market, that way!

27. - Top - End - #237

BlackDragon

So, is *all* of Paris in an underground cavern, or just the bit around the train station?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Probably just the bits near the station - after all, we know the Eiffel Tower exists. Though I suppose that could also, technically, fit inside a big enough cavern.

29. - Top - End - #239

Probably just the bits near the station - after all, we know the Eiffel Tower exists. Though I suppose that could also, technically, fit inside a big enough cavern.
    There is absolutely no reason that a spark wouldnt have been able to trigger an earthquake so powerful it dropped all of paris into an underground cavern. Think of it like that mythical earthquake in demolition man that sank half of los angeles. You can see it underground in the museum, mostly intact.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    There is absolutely no reason that a spark wouldnt have been able to trigger an earthquake so powerful it dropped all of paris into an underground cavern. Think of it like that mythical earthquake in demolition man that sank half of los angeles. You can see it underground in the museum, mostly intact.
    Dropping it into a hole is one thing, putting a stable roof over it is another thing entirely.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.