New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Custom Erfworld Icons and Wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    My browser doesn't crash but it takes forever to get into the page. I hadn't used the thing in months. It used to be ok.
    Odd; I've never had any problems with it (using the current version of Firefox, if that makes a difference).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

*hides in shame* I use Internet Explorer and I still haven't switched to version 7.0....
    "Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't comin' back, burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, but you can't take the sky from me."

May the Force be with you.

Why are you standing in the courtyard holding a parasol painted like a bullseye?

Highlight: I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Maerad of Pellinor View Post
    *hides in shame* I use Internet Explorer and I still haven't switched to version 7.0....
    Do Not And I Mean DO NOT switch to version 7.0... they screwed up and got rid of a bunch of nice features...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you get me a place in the corner you're using? I also still have an old Internet Explorer. But my problems had to do with low transfer rate, not browser, it's ok now.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

5. - Top - End - #35

Added a Misty avatar to my gallery, upthread.

Edit: Added closeup and wideview icons of Wanda smiling as she rides home from dropping off Jillian.

(The new icons are not quite as sharp as the others, since there isn't a "blowup" version to work from. This is less noticeable on the Misty image, perhaps because the original image is in such stark light and shadow.)

Edit: I've also done what I think will be the final tweak to my versions of the "Jillian Writing" icons. After trying various tricks to get the "kritch skritch" sound effect to come out clearly at icon size, I hit upon one that worked even better than I'd hoped:

1. Remove sound effect from original large-size image (a clone-brush tool is good for this if your software has it; otherwise, cut-and-paste from areas with the right color). Don't worry too much if the removal isn't perfect; reduction to 20%-25% covers a multitude of sins.

2. Create an image of the text in the appropriate font ("Viner Hand" in this case); tweak so that the lines are heavy enough to survive size reduction and elements are far enough apart not to blur together after size reduction.

3. Create a stack of layers, all with transparent backgrounds:

3a. The text image, 100% opaque (or, optionally, some highish value in the 70% opaque range).

3b. A border a few pixels wide around the text, same color as the text (white, in this case), 40%-70% opaque.

3c. A border a few pixels wide around the outside of the Step 3b mask image, color that strongly contrasts with the text (black, in this case), 20%-50% opaque.

3d. A border a few pixels wide around the outside of the Step 3c mask image, same color as the Step 3c mask, 15%-30% opaque.

4. Line up those layers, merge them, superimpose the resulting sandwich over original the large image, trying various scalings and rotations on it until the composition looks right.

5. Merge the large image, save it for backup, and scale it to your desired icon size(s).

One slight complication for this particular text is that the Step 3b border on the inside of the "k" loops had to be trimmed back to preserve the dark interior of the loop.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-13 at 06:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I figured out how to put my wallpaper up....
    Spoiler
    Show

Or with a blue background:

Last edited by Maerad of Pellinor; 2007-05-14 at 12:31 AM.
    "Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't comin' back, burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, but you can't take the sky from me."

Why are you standing in the courtyard holding a parasol painted like a bullseye?

7. - Top - End - #37

I figured out how to put my wallpaper up....
    Nice image!

(Also, it gives me an idea; my icon gallery is big enough it probably should be spoiler-tagged to reduce clutter.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-13 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Removed image from quoted reply -- even spoiler-tagged, it pushed up the window width.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Re: how to get rid of text

When I was making the wallpaper, I really wanted to use the dwagons in the trees from page 44 but there was a large block of text in the middle. I tried several things, but the only way I could make it look decent was by moving the trees up towards the sky, coloring in the text block very dark blue, and then copy-pasting individual pixels to make the color blend look like it was meant to be that way. And there's still a small area in the right-hand side where it's obvious that the image was pasted together.

My question: is there an easier way to do all of that? I spent about four or five hours on it....

Edit: And thanks! :D

Another edit: Here's that panel by itself:
    Last edited by Maerad of Pellinor; 2007-05-14 at 12:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Re: how to get rid of text

When I was making the wallpaper, I really wanted to use the dwagons in the trees from page 44 but there was a large block of text in the middle. I tried several things, but the only way I could make it look decent was by moving the trees up towards the sky, coloring in the text block very dark blue, and then copy-pasting individual pixels to make the color blend look like it was meant to be that way. And there's still a small area in the right-hand side where it's obvious that the image was pasted together.

My question: is there an easier way to do all of that? I spent about four or five hours on it....

Edit: And thanks! :D

Another edit: Here's that panel by itself:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmmm... the challenge there is that the text block covers the boundary between the sky and the trees. I'll try experimenting with the clone brush to see if I can get a passable cover-up for it; the catch is that the previous effort was on an image that was going to be reduced from 500 pixels (the portion of the blown-up "Jillian writing" image) to 100 & 117 pixels, so I could get away with an amateurish job on that part.

Edit: OK, that actually turned out to be easier than expected; the only tricky part was brushing around the new border:

Edit: Rob has posted the blowup of this image, so it's a moot point; I've removed that image to declutter my gallery a bit.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-07-24 at 10:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... the challenge there is that the text block covers the boundary between the sky and the trees. I'll try experimenting with the clone brush to see if I can get a passable cover-up for it; the catch is that the previous effort was on an image that was going to be reduced from 500 pixels (the portion of the blown-up "Jillian writing" image) to 100 & 117 pixels, so I could get away with an amateurish job on that part.

Edit: OK, that actually turned out to be easier than expected; the only tricky part was brushing around the new border:

Wow, that looks great--what program do you use?
    Last edited by Maerad of Pellinor; 2007-05-14 at 05:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Wow, that looks great--what program do you use?
    I used the clone brush in Paint Shop Pro; the same basic tool exists in the GIMP and probably quite a few other programs I'm not familiar with.

The technique I used to create a smoothly blended patch was medium brush opacity and covering the area with multiple strokes taken from different areas to avoid obvious duplications of one image region into another. The main difficulty was to avoid accidentally cloning one of the dwagons or the frame border into the area I was touching up (I used "undo" a lot).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-14 at 05:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I used the clone brush in Paint Shop Pro; the same basic tool exists in the GIMP and probably quite a few other programs I'm not familiar with.

The technique I used to create a smoothly blended patch was medium brush opacity and covering the area with multiple strokes taken from different areas to avoid obvious duplications of one image region into another. The main difficulty was to avoid accidentally cloning one of the dwagons or the frame border into the area I was touching up (I used "undo" a lot).
    I downloaded the GIMP a few weeks ago and that's what I was using, but I couldn't find any tools that really helped....I just found the zoom to 800% and select one pixel at a time to copy-paste-drag to be better than Paint's equivalent, so that's what I used....

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I downloaded the GIMP a few weeks ago and that's what I was using, but I couldn't find any tools that really helped....I just found the zoom to 800% and select one pixel at a time to copy-paste-drag to be better than Paint's equivalent, so that's what I used....
    The GIMP is very powerful, and its clone brush is explained here:

http://poing.t35.com/go.php?page=clone

(basically you control-click the first region and then it works like a regular brush using as a pattern the shifted image).

By the way, images are better inside spoiler tags, to speed up loading these threads.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2007-05-15 at 09:52 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

14. - Top - End - #44

I've added a bit more texturing to my clonebrushed version (you might need to refresh it to see the improved version) and placed it inside spoiler tags.

The tutorial in teratorn's link should give you the basics; it'll just take some experimentation to get the hang of it.

Edit: I haven't gotten all that good with it yet. My first experiment with it was removing the "kritch skritch" sound effect from the original art of the Jillian icon so it could be re-added from scratch (pun intended) in a form that survived size reduction more readably; when you're manipulating a 500x500 pixel image that will be reduced to 117x117 or 100x100, you can be somewhat sloppy. This one was fairly simple, filling in two areas with more or less solid color and cloning a few minor features to blend it in.

Edit: Also added a "thunderstruck Ansom reading hat-o-gram" icon to the collection.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-16 at 08:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    By the way, images are better inside spoiler tags, to speed up loading these threads.
    Images in spoiler tags are loaded with the rest of the thread. That's why they only get around the pixel width restriction, not the file size restriction.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    Images in spoiler tags are loaded with the rest of the thread. That's why they only get around the pixel width restriction, not the file size restriction.
    Ah. It just appears to speed up loading because images inside spoiler tags are hidden as they load in the background (and they don't "push" the rest of the thread down to make room for them when they arrive, though the latter issue can also be solved by including HEIGHT and WIDTH tags in the HTML).

17. - Top - End - #47

I've worked up an animated version of the basic "Jillian writing" icon:

Edit: Animated icons moved to my gallery, upthread.

Edit: The weird thing is that the two are generally in sync, but once in a while (slight hiccup delays the loading of one of them?) they aren't. It's generally the latter case when having the two of them in close proximity looks distracting.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-22 at 10:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

I've worked up an animated version of the basic "Jillian writing" icon:
    That's brilliant! I'm in awe.
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

19. - Top - End - #49

That's brilliant! I'm in awe.
    Thanks! When I get around to it, I'll probably add the "closeup with sound effect" version.

(Any thoughts on the timing? I'm thinking of making the beginning and end pauses a bit longer.)

Edit: Closeup icon with animated effect added; animated icons moved to my gallery, upthread.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-22 at 10:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Thanks! When I get around to it, I'll probably add the "closeup with sound effect" version.

(Any thoughts on the timing? I'm thinking of making the beginning and end pauses a bit longer.)
    I like it as is. Longer pauses let my attention wander (mild ADD) and then I miss the transitions. Plus, transitions after long pauses then register as new motion events each time (for the same reason) so I can't tune them out and have to stop the page if I want to read anything on it. Very annoying.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-05-20 at 07:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

I like it as is. Longer pauses let my attention wander (mild ADD) and then I miss the transitions. Plus, transitions after long pauses then register as new motion events each time (for the same reason) so I can't tune them out and have to stop the page if I want to read anything on it. Very annoying.
    OK; I'll leave that as is. As a benchmark if anybody else is experimenting with animated text, the timing I used is:

1.20 sec -- Initial no-text frame
    0.12 sec -- Each new letter frame, except for
    0.36 sec -- The frame that finished the "kritch" line
    1.20 sec -- The complete "kritch skritch" text
    0.08 sec -- Fadeout frame (I used the Paint Shop Pro "arithmetic" tool to average the no-text and full-text frames, generating a frame of half-faded text)

22. - Top - End - #52

As soon as I saw the most recent page, I knew that I had to make another Ansom avatar. I flipped it to face the posts like I do and made four versions like Steve does.

(117x117 GIF) (117x117 PNG) (100x100 GIF) (100x100 PNG)

Steve, this time I used your idea of putting it on top of a solid grey fill layer before resizing. I tried it both ways after that, accepting the magic selection tool's result for one and then also manually erasing extra grey pixels for the other. It actually looks better to me with the greyscale artifacts left in! Unlike the transparent artifacts from past attempts, it just resulted in nice solid lines and subtle, appropriate shadows.

Edit: I couldn't possibly do that and leave out Vinnie's awesome "gwah?" face, now could I?

Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-05-23 at 12:43 AM. Reason: failed experiment with putting the avatars into tables
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Had some fun in Illustrator today, and vectorized a Dwagon. I used it in a wallpaper and made a custom Mac OS X icon with it. Check it out...

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Robot View Post
    Had some fun in Illustrator today, and vectorized a Dwagon. I used it in a wallpaper and made a custom Mac OS X icon with it. Check it out...
    Sweetness! Someday, I will know what vectorization is and how to do it...oh yes, someday...

In the meantime, I finally got around to updating one of the avatars from my original post. I left the original there in a spoiler tag in case anyone wants to see how much I've improved in one month. For convenience, I also collected most of my stuff from this thread into that one post.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Robot View Post
    Had some fun in Illustrator today, and vectorized a Dwagon. I used it in a wallpaper and made a custom Mac OS X icon with it. Check it out... (image snipped; see original post upthread)
    That looks great!

As soon as I saw the most recent page, I knew that I had to make another Ansom avatar. I flipped it to face the posts like I do and made four versions like Steve does.

(image snipped; see original post upthread)

Steve, this time I used your idea of putting it on top of a solid grey fill layer before resizing. I tried it both ways after that, accepting the magic selection tool's result for one and then also manually erasing extra grey pixels for the other. It actually looks better to me with the greyscale artifacts left in! Unlike the transparent artifacts from past attempts, it just resulted in nice solid lines and subtle, appropriate shadows.
    Nice job. The only minor glitch I see is that it looks like the magic selection tool took out a few pixels around the chin line that should have been left in.

Edit: I couldn't possibly do that and leave out Vinnie's awesome "gwah?" face, now could I?

(image snipped; see original post upthread)
    Beat me to it.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-22 at 08:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Nice job. The only minor glitch I see is that it looks like the magic selection tool took out a few pixels around the chin line that should have been left in.
    Fixed. I was too careless with the initial selection, the rest of the process was fine. Of course, then I forgot to force a refresh after uploading the new versions to Photobucket and wasted time tweaking them some more because they didn't look good on the webpage (where it was still showing the old versions), but that's not the fault of the tools.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicPenguin View Post
    Here are some avatars I made in my spare time. dwagon one w/o sky is transparent background.
    edit: they all have a square aspect ratio, so default size for avatars will work fine
    I missed those the first time I checked the thread; I especially like the pigeon one (a bit unusual and nicely composed).

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

How do you "fill" in a selection with a transparent background in the GIMP?

29. - Top - End - #59

How do you "fill" in a selection with a transparent background in the GIMP?
    1. Under the "Layer" menu (on the window with the image you're working with), select "Transparency"; on the submenu that appears, click "Add Alpha Channel". (The "alpha channel" is basically an extra item of information for each pixel indicating where it lies on a continuum from "fully opaque" to "fully transparent".)

2. Select the areas you want to make transparent.

3. Under the "Edit" menu (on the window with the image you're working with), select "Clear". The area you've selected should now be replaced with a checkerboard pattern indicating transparency.

4. Save as a GIF, PNG, or some other format that supports transparency.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Can we get some more icons/avatars or wallpapers of Wanda? I was thinking page 47 panel 4, page 44 panel 2, page 41 panel 2, page 36 panel 8, or page 17 panel 3 or 5. Any of those would be good. Thanks.
    2000 Z/28 M6 417rwhp/377rwtq
    Sgt, USMC Marine Security Guard Detachment Sana'a
    Hi Haley. Look, I found all these free swords. They were in my spleen.