New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Pie vs. Ice Cream (My Pie Has No Defense!)

This not a real versus thread, or it can be, I don't care. I've been burnt out from work and some other things here and there. So let's have some fun with pie and ice cream.

For my part I love both. I prefer ice cream in general, but it can't be eaten warm, or at room temp. Actually I can't prove that, mine has never gotten warmer than 'scoffed down in a heartbeat'. Pie on the other hand can be eaten hot, warm, room temp and cold. That's some serious versatility in a dessert I must say.

My personal preference is room temp apple pie with a healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yeah, I'm a fairly simple and straight toward guy. What are your choice desserts? Puddings, cream cakes, cheese cakes, etc. are all welcome too. Sigh, work *has* been rough.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-18 at 06:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pie vs. Ice Cream

I... have to choose?

You monster.

I think in the end I'd have to go with ice cream, just because it is a pretty versatile dessert. Lots of different kinds, especially if you include sherbet and/or sorbet in the 'ice cream' category (they're close enough if you ask me). That said, I'd be really sad to give up pumpkin pie. And of course, ice cream + (insert favorite fruit here) pie is pretty nice too.

To bring in an interesting related dessert, I have always craved rhurbarb crumble and ice cream. I had it once- just once- and have always wanted more of it. I just find tart and sweet to be a really great combination.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2015-05-18 at 05:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I like to get coconut rice from our local thai place, and make a bed of it in the bottom of a bowl. Then I put haagen-daaz pineapple-coconut ice cream on top.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I think pie would win. Admittedly ice cream would win at lower temperatures, but those are rarer on Monde. So a clear win goes to ice cream if this goes down closer to the poles. In all other cases pie's higher liquidation point is more than capable of beating ice cream on even a bad day. Now if for some reason they were both in a microwave. Well, I'm no microologist.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2015-05-18 at 06:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Cheese cake -- the real stuff, with none of that topping.

Pecan pie -- I love this so much I asked for it instead of B-day cake at least once

(However that is an incredibly difficult choice to make because Mrs. Dex makes me spice cake for my B-day, also home made.)

For me Ice Cream is an 'everyday' dessert. That is what we have once a week or so after dinner. Pie is a special treat.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Pie vs. Ice Cream (My Pie Has No Defense!)

Ooooh! I forgot, I love apple spice cake. Mmmm... appley, I think I have a thing for apple desserts. Do they make apple ice cream? Sounds homebrew to me, but just maybe there is a first party producer, any insights?

ETA: All other suggestions for appley delicious desserts are sought after as well. I actually might learn something here. :)
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-18 at 06:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys like pies more than most deserts.

Women like cakes more than most deserts.

Everyone seems to like ice cream, either alone or with the above (or cookies... hhhhmmm cookies!).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Cheese cake -- the real stuff, with none of that topping.

Pecan pie -- I love this so much I asked for it instead of B-day cake at least once
    Have you tried combining the two?
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase blog/campaign journal

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    Ooooh! I forgot, I love apple spice cake. Mmmm... appley, I think I have a thing for apple desserts. Do they make apple ice cream? Sounds homebrew to me, but just maybe there is a first party producer, any insights?

ETA: All other suggestions for appley delicious desserts are sought after as well. I actually might learn something here. :)
    My son makes a wicked easy apple turnover. You buy a can of refrigerated biscuit dough (little not big) and a can of apple pie filling. Roll out the biscuits until they are about twice their usual diameter. Spoon a couple slices of apple in there, and fold them over, pinching the edges. Brush some egg on the outside and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then bake. I don't remember the time or temperature, but I bet 350*F for about 20 minutes.

If you aren't from the states I mean this kind of biscuit, not necessarily this brand.
    Spoiler: Biscuit
    Show
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like both, especially together (depending on the ice-cream and pie, of course). However, if I have to choose, I would say....ice cream. I tend to find myself craving ice cream more often than pie. Especially a kind of ice cream we have in New Zealand called "Jelly Tip ice cream." It's named after an ice-cream-on-a-stick that consists of vanilla ice cream with a tip of raspberry flavoured jelly (what Americans call jello) covered in chocolate. The ice-cream named after it is vanilla ice-cream with raspberry flavoured jelly (jello) swirled through it, with chocolate flakes.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

11. - Top - End - #11

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Grue View Post
    Have you tried combining the two?
    It would seem wrong. I could have them on the same plate, but I couldn't mix them.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I like to get coconut rice from our local thai place, and make a bed of it in the bottom of a bowl. Then I put haagen-daaz pineapple-coconut ice cream on top.
    I kneel before you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You should see my Gestalt build of a Pie 5/Rhubarb 5/A'La Mode 10//Ice Cream 5/Sundae 5/Cookie 2/Ice Cream Cake 8 build.

It uses some Dessert Magazine feats and spells, but it is unstoppable.

My diabetes has no defense.

I have already proved it.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Homemade French toast with your choice of maple syrup or a decadent sugar based icing. Add peeled apple slices browned in the same pan so that the sugar caramelizes and all is deliciously crisp. I recommend one of the more tart red varieties of apple for this over some of the sweetest. Alternatively use some of the sweeter reds and swap the liquid condiment for a sauce made from blueberries or raspberries. Boom.

Would you also like sides to make this a complete breakfast?
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    You should see my Gestalt build of a Pie 5/Rhubarb 5/A'La Mode 10//Ice Cream 5/Sundae 5/Cookie 2/Ice Cream Cake 8 build.

It uses some Dessert Magazine feats and spells, but it is unstoppable.

My diabetes has no defense.

I have already proved it.
    I allow D Mag feats and spells in my stomach. Your build give me diabetes.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-18 at 07:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I allow D Mag feats and spells in my stomach. Your build gave me diabetes.
    Unstoppable Build!

The Dessert King build is has no defense!

RedMage Prestige Class!

"Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

My son makes a wicked easy apple turnover. You buy a can of refrigerated biscuit dough (little not big) and a can of apple pie filling. Roll out the biscuits until they are about twice their usual diameter. Spoon a couple slices of apple in there, and fold them over, pinching the edges. Brush some egg on the outside and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then bake. I don't remember the time or temperature, but I bet 350*F for about 20 minutes.

If you aren't from the states I mean this kind of biscuit, not necessarily this brand.
    Spoiler: Biscuit
    Show
    Ooooh... apple turnovers, another tasty appley delicious dessert. I get those, and fruit slices, mostly apple, from a local homebrew bakery. They are delictable, but homebrew bakerys are not allowed everywhere. Zaccagninis Pastry Shoppe is my preferred homebrew. It might be better called 3rd party pastries. They are tasty nonetheless.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-18 at 07:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

HalflingPirate

Ooooh... apple turnovers, another tasty appley delicious dessert. I get those, and fruit slices, mostly apple, from a local homebrew bakery. They are delictable, but homebrew bakerys are not allowed everywhere. Zaccagninis Pastry Shoppe is my preferred homebrew. It might be better called 3rd party pastries. They are tasty nonetheless.
    My son is in now, and I asked him. He says he pan fries them then sprinkles them. He says they take about as long to cook as a pancake. The oven thing must be something Mrs. Dex did one time.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Unstoppable Build!

The Dessert King build is has no defense!
    Zaccaginis has no defense. You lose. Period. Mmmm... apple slices...

Apple slices are apples baked in dough on a large baking pan. They are then struddled with gooie goodness atop, cut into rectangular slices and sold for $1.25. (American) It took me far too many years to realize the gooie goodness of the local street corner bakery, as opposed to selling out and buying Hostess or Drake snack cakes. In my defense, I didn't realize the bakery sold them at a lower price point than the Biggun's. I always assumed they were premium priced. I have learned the way of 3rd party bakers. My bakers have no defense..
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-18 at 07:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

It would seem wrong. I could have them on the same plate, but I couldn't mix them.
    What I mean is, I suppose, a sort of Pecan Cheesecake. I'm sure someone's thought of a recipe.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase blog/campaign journal

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

BTW dextercorvia, thanks for the recipe. I forgot to mention that in my exultation of Zaccanini's awesomeness. ;)
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-18 at 07:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

HalflingPirate

BTW dextercorvia, thanks for the recipe. I forgot to mention that in my exultation of Zaccanini's awesomeness. ;)
    I understand. I live in the middle of nowhere, but we have a local pie shop. They sell amazing stuff.

Here is a picture of one of their actual pies.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

dex-
    Your picture of a sexy pie makes all the difference in this debate!

I bow to you.

All Hail the Pie!

RedMage Prestige Class!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I understand. I live in the middle of nowhere, but we have a local pie shop. They sell amazing stuff.

The crust does not give me the internal value of it's build. There might be too much innards and not enough crust. I like crust. Mmmm....crunchy, crustry bits. Sometimes pastries have too much innards as it were. With pies the crust is very important. Unless it's an apple pie, do those have a crust? Never noticed, I just nom those to bits.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingPirate

The Pie King mess with the apples and your waistline.

Some think they want versatility:

But the Pie king can spam pecan all night long:

Last edited by dextercorvia; 2015-05-18 at 09:24 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

That pie would be fantastic with ice cream on top.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    That pie would be fantastic with ice cream on top.
    I believe they serve it with a scoop of vanilla. It's a fairly traditional shop.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2015-05-18 at 10:53 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Let's not forget crumbcakes. They dry and lonely, until one adds coffee. Den dey be da bomb! Your flavour may vary. Thanks guys/gals.

ETA: @dextercovia your simpler plater beet all/thread
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-18 at 11:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Is 'X Has No Defense' going to end up being a meme around here?

That said, I like my pie a la mode.

Don't know your name but bring the pain.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

My absolutely favourite dessert is bread and butter pudding, closely followed by a sweet crumble (apple, pear, peach, rhubarb, blackberry, doesn't matter, they're all good), both with a good healthy serving of custard.

A pity my dairy intolerance doesn't let me have it very often.

Spoiler: Puddings!
    Show

Last edited by Brother Oni; 2015-05-19 at 01:43 AM.