New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default How do I handle loot with +1 but with no specified enchantment?

I'll keep this one short:
    During I campaign I have been running (Savage Tide) the PC's often loot off the bad guys' corpses a Short Sword +1 or some such, but there is actually no specified enchantment on the equipment.
    What does this mean? Is that an empty enchantment spot which I can fill to my liking? Or that they can? I realize this might be a noobish question to ask, but I really need to know.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: How do I handle loot with +1 but with no specified enchantment?

It's a +1 to attack and damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

He is correct it's a "simple" +1 enhancement bonus for +1 to attack rolls and damage.

By simple I mean part of a frustrating system that makes no sense. For my group me and one of the others who DM sat down and rewrote it into a small "You can buy this and put this crap on stuff." So far it's worked better for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Wizards are weak because they need to read! Sorcerers can take the Illiterate trait to minmax themselves to extremes that other classes can only dream of!
    Spoiler: Current Ongoing Campaigns
    Show
    DM- Overlord Campaign - Ainz wiped the floor but they did manage to clear several floor guardians. Playing - Gestalt game character WIP.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Is loot with this simple enchantment still worth 2,000 gold more for being enchanted?
    If so, that's just junk to sell.
    Also, is MW Studded Leather +1 a +1 to AC according to this system? And is it worth 1,000 gold more?

I don't quite understand what's the system your DM put in place, do you mind trying to explain it again?
    Last edited by bendking; 2015-05-28 at 07:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bendking View Post
    Is loot with this simple enchantment still worth 2000 gold more for being enchanted?

I don't quite understand what's the system your DM put in place, do you mind trying to explain it again?
    { scrubbed }
    Last edited by Castaras; 2015-05-29 at 04:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    { scrubbed }
    Hmm, I think I'm going to quit D&D.
    Thanks for the constructive advice! I'm gonna go get a job!
    Last edited by Castaras; 2015-05-29 at 04:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is loot with this simple enchantment still worth 2,000 gold more for being enchanted?
    Also, is MW Studded Leather +1 a +1 to AC according to this system? And is it worth 1,000 gold more?
    Yes, a +1 weapon is worth 2000gp more than a masterwork weapon. In addition to the +1 damage, you can hit incorporeal creatures(50% of the time), and you can ignore DR X/magic.

Studded Leather +1 has a market price of 1000gp more than Masterwork Studded Leather, but a Masterwork Chain Shirt is usually a better deal. However a +1 Chain Shirt is usually worth its market price of +1000gp more than a Masterwork Chain Shirt.

PS: Please look past ngilop's unintentional rudeness.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-05-28 at 07:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm, I think I'm going to quit D&D.
    Thanks for the constructive advice! I'm gonna go get a job!
    Dont get a job! What kind of fool are you!? D&D is far more rewarding!
    ___
    If I have the ability to cast magic missile: I'm going to cast Magic Missile.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

If your players have better than +1 enhancements on their weapons, then yes, a +1 Short Sword is indeed junk to sell (unless they'd like a backup weapon).

For the studded leather, you don't need to specify that it's masterwork if it also has a +1 enhancement bonus on it; all magic weapons and armor are already of masterwork quality, and are worth the value of the masterwork item plus the value of the enhancement bonus specified in the DMG.
    "A Grandmaster doesn't say he's a Grandmaster. Other people say it for him."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'ma do a general thing, cause it seems necessary. Our noble short sword started its life as a masterwork weapon, holding its price of 310 GP, and a +1 to attack as its sole modifier. Then, on one strange and fanciful day, some wizard, bountiful in his caprice, chose to deliver onto it a +1 enchantment, creating a +1 short sword. This is possible because the weapon was masterwork, but at the same time, it was the only enchantment possible, because the weapon was not previously enchanted. This leaves the weapon with a +1 to both attack and damage, and would make it cost 2,310 GP.

The wizard then decides to go above and beyond, for that is something he is occasionally wont to do. Thus, he applies a flaming enchantment to the weapon, made possible by the fact that the weapon is already enchanted. This leaves the wizard with a +1 flaming short sword. To evaluate this weapon's capabilities, we consider separately the +1 and the flaming, and we're left with a weapon with a +1 to attack and damage, and +1d6 fire damage on a successful hit. To evaluate its price, you add together the +1 from the standard +1, and the +1 that is flaming, and reach the fact that it should be priced as a +2 weapon. Thus, this weapon would cost 8,310 GP.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Given that the OP is clearly misunderstanding the magic weapon/armor system, perhaps we should actually explain it, instead of mocking him?

On your sword, the +1 is the specified enhancement. Every magical weapon has some numerical bonus, which can range from +1 to +5. You add that number to the attack rolls and damage rolls you make with that weapon. Some, but not all, magical weapons also have other abilities, which usually have a cost that's also expressed as a plus: For instance, flaming is a +1 ability. To find a weapon's total value, you add up all of its special abilities, add that to the numerical bonus, and then look that up in the table.

So, for instance, a +1 weapon with no other abilities (like the one on your loot table) is worth 2000 GP more than a masterwork weapon of the same kind. A +1 flaming weapon or a +2 weapon with no special abilities both have the same value, which is 8000 GP more than masterwork. A +1 flaming shocking weapon, a +1 holy weapon, a +2 flaming weapon, or a +3 weapon with no special abilities, all have the same value, 18000 GP, and so on.

There are two limits on the power of a (non-epic) weapon: The numerical bonus can't be more than +5, and the total of the numerical bonus and all special abilities can't be more than +10. So a weapon that's at the limit might, for instance, be +5 and vorpal (vorpal is worth +5), or it could be +1 with nine different cheap special abilities.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Given that the OP is clearly misunderstanding the magic weapon/armor system, perhaps we should actually explain it, instead of mocking him?

On your sword, the +1 is the specified enhancement. Every magical weapon has some numerical bonus, which can range from +1 to +5. You add that number to the attack rolls and damage rolls you make with that weapon. Some, but not all, magical weapons also have other abilities, which usually have a cost that's also expressed as a plus: For instance, flaming is a +1 ability. To find a weapon's total value, you add up all of its special abilities, add that to the numerical bonus, and then look that up in the table.

So, for instance, a +1 weapon with no other abilities (like the one on your loot table) is worth 2000 GP more than a masterwork weapon of the same kind. A +1 flaming weapon or a +2 weapon with no special abilities both have the same value, which is 8000 GP more than masterwork. A +1 flaming shocking weapon, a +1 holy weapon, a +2 flaming weapon, or a +3 weapon with no special abilities, all have the same value, 18000 GP, and so on.

There are two limits on the power of a (non-epic) weapon: The numerical bonus can't be more than +5, and the total of the numerical bonus and all special abilities can't be more than +10. So a weapon that's at the limit might, for instance, be +5 and vorpal (vorpal is worth +5), or it could be +1 with nine different cheap special abilities.
    Thank you very much, that was very sharp explanation.
    My sincere gratitude to every other commenter who helped me grasp the numerical value enhancment system, which I was not aware of.

EDIT:
    What does a +1 on a piece of armor do? +1 to Armor bonus?
    Last edited by bendking; 2015-05-29 at 03:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you very much, that was very sharp explanation.
    My sincere gratitude to every other commenter who helped me grasp the numerical value enhancment system, which I was not aware of.

EDIT:
    What does a +1 on a piece of armor do? +1 to Armor bonus?
    one thing I don't think anyone's mentioned (and the point of your confusion, which is not well explained in the rules)

a weapon must have some numerical bonus of at least +1 before you are allowed to put any actual magical properties on it.

so if you want a vicious longsword or a fleshgrinding rapier or what have you, it has to be at least +1 first. so you might see a "+1 flaming longsword" but you will never see just a "flaming longsword" without any +x. it's against the rules.

Yes. it gives +1 to armor. magic armor also lets you subtract its +x value from armor check penalties.

example: you find some +1 full plate. the normal ACP is -6. since this is +1 full plate, you only take -5 to your ACP stuff.
    Last edited by Venger; 2015-05-29 at 03:49 AM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    one thing I don't think anyone's mentioned (and the point of your confusion, which is not well explained in the rules)
    a weapon must have some numerical bonus of at least +1 before you are allowed to put any actual magical properties on it.
    I think I had that one in my nifty narrative retelling of the weapon rules. Folks were probably mislead by the pointlessly obfuscating and whimsical vocabulary.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2015-05-29 at 04:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Imp

magic armor also lets you subtract its +x value from armor check penalties.

example: you find some +1 full plate. the normal ACP is -6. since this is +1 full plate, you only take -5 to your ACP stuff.
    This is a gigantic lie. A house rule, if you will. And not a terrible one, if you don't go superhigh level.

Personally, my house rules (aka my personal gigantic lies) regarding this are simple: I allow you to buy bonuses to stats (attack, damage, acp, ac, etc) all as mundane masterwork improvements, but the cost is dependent on the availability, the desired level of strength, all that jazz (tbh, it's not an exact science, very ball parked), and them let the players invent enchantments and tell them the prices of those. It's much more vague, but also more fun and unique.
    Last edited by Deaxsa; 2015-05-29 at 05:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Deaxsa View Post
    This is a gigantic lie. A house rule, if you will. And not a terrible one, if you don't go superhigh level.
    Well, more of a half lie. The +1 full plate would indeed have an ACP of -5, as stated, but that's because all magic armor is also masterwork, and masterwork armor reduces ACP by one. I'm also not entirely sure where level fits into all of this. I can't really see +5 armor reducing ACP by five being game breaking at high levels, when casters dominate the earth.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Well, more of a half lie. The +1 full plate would indeed have an ACP of -5, as stated, but that's because all magic armor is also masterwork, and masterwork armor reduces ACP by one. I'm also not entirely sure where level fits into all of this. I can't really see +5 armor reducing ACP by five being game breaking at high levels, when casters dominate the earth.
    "Hmm...on the one hand, the wizard is creating clone armies, Rings of Infinite Wishing, and impregnable, undetectable pocket dimensions. On the other hand, this dude can perform an Olympic-level acrobatics routine while wearing full plate armor. Nah, I have to do something about that second guy; we all know that fighters can't have nice things."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I think I had that one in my nifty narrative retelling of the weapon rules. Folks were probably mislead by the pointlessly obfuscating and whimsical vocabulary.
    you did address it, I was just clarifying for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaxsa View Post

Personally, my house rules (aka my personal gigantic lies) regarding this are simple: I allow you to buy bonuses to stats (attack, damage, acp, ac, etc) all as mundane masterwork improvements, but the cost is dependent on the availability, the desired level of strength, all that jazz (tbh, it's not an exact science, very ball parked), and them let the players invent enchantments and tell them the prices of those. It's much more vague, but also more fun and unique.
    well, since no sensible person ever buys armor with a numerical bonus of higher than +1, it is technically true.

yeah, I just conflated that in my mind and forgot that it came from mwk and not the magic bonus since there' never a call for +2 or higher armor.

honestly, it's not a bad houserule.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "Hmm...on the one hand, the wizard is creating clone armies, Rings of Infinite Wishing, and impregnable, undetectable pocket dimensions. On the other hand, this dude can perform an Olympic-level acrobatics routine while wearing full plate armor. Nah, I have to do something about that second guy; we all know that fighters can't have nice things."
    indeed.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

well, since no sensible person ever buys armor with a numerical bonus of higher than +1, it is technically true.

yeah, I just conflated that in my mind and forgot that it came from mwk and not the magic bonus since there' never a call for +2 or higher armor.
    Derailing the thread slightly, but could you explain the reasoning behind this?
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Ćl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    It's generally better to get +1 armor and +1 weapons with 9 points' worth of properties, and then bring the enhancement bonuses up to +5 via greater magic weapon and magic vestment.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This forum, in general, prefers qualitative improvements over quantitative improvements. Therefore they assert such.

Greater Magic Weapon/Magic Vestments are a supporting detail.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-05-29 at 04:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

not really a derail, we're still talking about the fiddly and poorly explained magic armor/weapons system in the game.

it's like this:

back in 3.0, some monsters had things like "dr 10/+2" so if you had a +1 weapon, you could not bypass their DR. consequently, there was some value to buying a weapon that had a numerical bonus of higher than +1.

in 3.5, the designers realized this was a stupid idea, taxing the melee brutes, who are most dependent on equipment, and allowing casters to just bypass it with magic as they always had, so all instances of "dr/+x" were redone to be "dr/magic"

thus, there is never a reason to want a weapon that has a numerical bonus of higher than +1. you only buy the +1 because it's a tax before you can start putting useful properties like warning or keen or what have you on your weapon.

the way magic enhancements are priced, they cost more for each one you buy, so buying a +1 equivalent property on a +1 item is a lot cheaper than buying it for a +2 weapon, so you're doing nothing but cheating yourself out of a lot of money for a measly tohit/damage bonus if you buy a weapon with a +2 or higher before putting enchantments on stuff.

the same thing is true for armor. it's better to start jamming soulfire or whatever on there right away instead of paying zillions of gold for a bonus to your flatfooted AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    It's generally better to get +1 armor and +1 weapons with 9 points' worth of properties, and then bring the enhancement bonuses up to +5 via greater magic weapon and magic vestment.
    yeah, plus magic weapon/vestment exists

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    This forum, in general, prefers qualitative improvements over quantitative improvements. Therefore they assert such.

huh? magic enhancements are quantitatively better than a to-hit bonus because they provide better effects, there isn't any subjectivity there.

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

huh? magic enhancements are quantitatively better than a to-hit bonus because they provide better effects, there isn't any subjectivity there.
    huh? When did I say they didn't/did? I merely pointed out that this forum generally prefers qualitative improvement. Thus they would assert the option with the greater qualitative improvement regardless of which was better quantitatively.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

huh? When did I say they didn't/did? I merely pointed out that this forum generally prefers qualitative improvement. Thus they would assert the option with the greater qualitative improvement regardless of which was better quantitatively.
    you're right. I had mistakenly thought that quantitative=objective and qualitative=subjective, so I thought you were saying it was just everyone's opinion that enhancements were better than +1s when it was the other way around, and i was really confused.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground

In Pathfinder, the quantitative (i.e. purely numerical) improvements are actually better. For weapons, they allow you to beat various forms of DR without needing special materials/aligment (and GMW won't help there) while on armor, they allow your armor to better resist sunders and dispels and thus their protection to continue functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    In Pathfinder, the quantitative (i.e. purely numerical) improvements are actually better. For weapons, they allow you to beat various forms of DR without needing special materials/aligment (and GMW won't help there) while on armor, they allow your armor to better resist sunders and dispels and thus their protection to continue functioning.
    They are actually better than the quantitative improvements in 3.5, anyhow. In my Paffinder group around 10th level we still use the qualitative permanent enhancements combined with spells and those potion-like oils and rinses to overcome damage reduction. But, we are also campaigning primarialy against foes with known immunities and weaknesses, and we are willing to accept the potential action economy cost of applying the quantitative and/or relevant enhancements on the spot.
    "But what of those to whom life is not an ocean, and man-made laws are not sand-towers ... What of the cripple who hates dancers? What of the ox who loves his yoke and deems the elk and deer of the forest stray and vagrant things? ... What shall I say of these save that they too stand in the sunlight, but with their backs to the sun? They see only their shadows, and their shadows are their laws. And what is the sun to them but a caster of shadows?"
    —Kahlil Gibran
    (avatar ibid)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

The main reason that I can think of for "get a +1, spend the rest on actual properties" is simply cost comparison. Due to the way the items are priced, every extra +1 has an exponentially increasing cost. However, the benefit is linear, with each +1 providing the same bonus. Thus, your average AC/gold goes down with each +1. Past +1, it is more cost efficient in terms of AC to buy a different item providing AC than another +1 on your armor (ring of deflection, amulet of natural armor). Combined with the fact Magic Weapon and Magic Vestment spells exist, and it just plain is most cost efficient to use your armor and weapon for interesting properties. This is especially true if you have a lot of weapons to boost (like your greatsword, armor razors, armor spikes, gauntlets, poisoned rings, braid blades, and various hidden blades).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Granted though, if you have a +3 weapon, you don't have to waste time waiting for someone to cast GMW on your hitstick and then spend your move action attaching a greater weapon crystal, if you use one. I mean, half the time the only ones people mention around here are Truedeath and Demolition.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Granted though, if you have a +3 weapon, you don't have to waste time waiting for someone to cast GMW on your hitstick and then spend your move action attaching a greater weapon crystal, if you use one. I mean, half the time the only ones people mention around here are Truedeath and Demolition.
    Eh, GMW is hour/level duration, so that's not really a concern.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

It increases quadratically, not exponentially. It'd be exponential if each new ability you added cost as much as all the previous abilities combined.

And the bit about "+1 and a bunch of abilities" is less relevant for armor than for weapons, since unlike weapons, most armor abilities just have a fixed price. The only +x armor abilities in the DMG are the various levels of fortification and spell resistance, ghost touch, and invulnerability, all of which are rather underwhelming.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics