New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VI

Could there be a crystal sphere within a crystal sphere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Didn't someone ask that question a few pages back?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    snip
    Hmmm, I'll sleep on that.

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    What you have there is an alternate Prime.
    Oh, well, figured as much. Is there any alternate cosmology, however sketchy, that you think is at least a little interesting that I could expand upon?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any Power in canon that claims every other Power is a fake and actively tries to subvert and assimilate every other religion, not caring about creed or alignment?
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Not directly, but in the novels about Cyric his church is fond of calling him "the only true god" and the other deities are "false gods", and in the Hourglass of Zihaja we have, well, Zihaja, who is the true deity of the Kamala, and all other gods are either guests or aspects of him, which he subsumed.

Edit: That is, if you don't want to cause controverse and try to include the monotheistic god of the abrahamitic religions.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Avoid the slaad.
    Indeed. If there's one thing I learned from Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, it's that people with hilarious speech-patterns are dangerous.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Indeed. If there's one thing I learned from Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, it's that people with hilarious speech-patterns are dangerous.
    That's Mario and Luigi in general. 1337 Hammer Bros, Shroobs, Fawful. About the only thing that could be trusted and spoke normally were Bowser's Globins, and they were quite globin. IS IT NOT GLOBIN?

Ahem! Now, with that ended, are there any major playwrights or other sources of culture in the mortal sense in the outer planes, aside from the horde of them in Sigil?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

8. - Top - End - #338
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Say I'm a Prime from a little world dominated completely by one pantheon. I die, and I'm *really* a Valhalla sort of guy, just a perfect fit... But none of the Gods of my world live there.

Do I end up in Valhalla anyways?
    If I do, is there some mechanism where the God(s) I honored in life still get 'credit/power' from my soul, even if I don't end up chilling in their divine realms?
    Can it vary from world to world, or pantheon to pantheon?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Could there be a crystal sphere within a crystal sphere?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Oh, well, figured as much. Is there any alternate cosmology
    No. I basically hate all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Ahem! Now, with that ended, are there any major playwrights or other sources of culture in the mortal sense in the outer planes, aside from the horde of them in Sigil?
    Given that they're all infinite? Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Say I'm a Prime from a little world dominated completely by one pantheon. I die, and I'm *really* a Valhalla sort of guy, just a perfect fit... But none of the Gods of my world live there.

Of course not. Valhalla is part of Asgard, the divine realm shared by several Norse gods. You have no business being there.

Did you mean Ysgard?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas
    Oh, well, figured as much. Is there any alternate cosmology
    No. I basically hate all of them.
    Any particular reason(s) why?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Because they exist.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

If I do, is there some mechanism where the God(s) I honored in life still get 'credit/power' from my soul, even if I don't end up chilling in their divine realms?
    Typically, if you had faith in a particular pantheon/deity, you'll go to that pantheon's/deity's divine realm, which may or may not contain Valhalla-esque elements as appropriate for that faith.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniaAntares View Post
    Typically, if you had faith in a particular pantheon/deity, you'll go to that pantheon's/deity's divine realm, which may or may not contain Valhalla-esque elements as appropriate for that faith.
    And if you aren't religious at all you will go to either the Outer Plane that fits you better (Ysgard in your case) or to some special hell devised by the deities of your world (the Faerunian Wall of the Faithless, for example).

In Tellene the souls of the faithless go to the Plane of Annihilation, a plane-sized sphere of annihilation, but it isn't the gods' fault, and in fact they hate it because said Plane of Annihilation threatens even them. It seems it's the fault of Tellene's Creator God, who used to be some kind of divine troll.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

That Tellene stuff is knew to me. Can you tell me the basics of its cosmology?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Now that I think of it, I remember mentions of artists in either Bedlam or X͈̦̭͈ͨ̈́̋͗̍͜ͅa͊͞õ̳̰̳̠̙ͩͅs̡̖̯͈̣͆̐̋̃, in the 2e book about the Outlands. I might check with books at-hand.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

16. - Top - End - #346
    Pixie in the Playground

During the Reckoning in Baator, I imagine that most of the devil armies were occupied with fighting one another. So what kept the demons from invading the place and taking over? Were there enough forces posted elsewhere? Or was this another of Asmodeus' plots?
    Some of my favorite games/settings:
    D&D 3.5e, Planescape, Pathfinder, WH40k RPG, Cyberpunk 2020, Mekton, Marvel Universe RPG

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    That Tellene stuff is knew to me. Can you tell me the basics of its cosmology?
    Well, Tellene (and presumably its Crystal Sphere) were created by a True Neutral Overgod who was basically a huge troll, so he created a balanced pantheon with several gods of each alignment and gave them appropiate portfolios, so they of course hate each other (he created a god of corruption, debasement, vice and rape, and he created gods of justice, protection and purity). No new gods can be born or created, and only a god or group of gods can kill a deity.

All the gods, their proxies and their dead worshippers live in a demiplane that is divided into sections, each belonging to a deity. Those sections and the divine demiplane grow when they receive more mortal souls, but the divine demiplane is surrounded by another plane or demiplane that is basically a gigantic sphere of annihilation. When mortals die faithless/atheist/hating all the gods, their souls go to that place and are annihilated, which provokes the Plane of Annihilation to grow and eat parts of the divine demiplane.

That means that the gods are afraid of the Plane of Annihilation and have a lot of encouragement to convert mortals to their worship. They will take almost every soul in, even accepting people they don't like or who weren't religious or who weren't really devouted to their portfolios.

At some point a coalition of evil and chaotic deities decided to kill the Overgod and put the blame on one of the Lawful Good deities of justice; the Overgod had created them unable to hurt him, but he thought that it would be fun to watch the divine war, so he faked his death and went into hiding (as I said, he's a huge troll). The lawful and good deities didn't believe the wannabe murderers when they claimed that the god of justice had killed the Overgod, and there was a godswar.

Later, the gods, realizing that their carelesness was going to destroy Tellene and make the Plane of Annihilation grow and gobble their divine home, decided to make new non-intervention rules and focus their efforts into converting all the mortals to their worship.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2015-07-30 at 04:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    1) Planescape for the win. Anything that is not compatible with Planescape, especially when deliberately trying not to be (Eberron, FR 3.X) is unwelcome.

2) Most of them are poorly-conceived, Great Wheel Lite, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Beriorn View Post
    During the Reckoning in Baator, I imagine that most of the devil armies were occupied with fighting one another. So what kept the demons from invading the place and taking over? Were there enough forces posted elsewhere? Or was this another of Asmodeus' plots?
    While several Blood War battalions were in the field in the Lower Planes of Conflict at the time, there were definitely armies slated for the War that were put to use in the Reckoning instead. We don't know if there was some other distraction afoot to hold the attentions of other parties; possibly they would have seen it as a diabolical scheme to lure in would-be conquerors and then close the trap on them.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

Paladine, Gilean and Takhisis live on Celestia, the Outlands and Baator respectively. But what about the other three half-dozen gods? Do they live with the heads of their group? Or somewhere else?
    D&D 3.5e, Planescape, Pathfinder, WH40k RPG, Cyberpunk 2020, Mekton, Marvel Universe RPG

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Paladine, Gilean and Takhisis live on Celestia, the Outlands and Baator respectively. But what about the other three half-dozen gods? Do they live with the heads of their group? Or somewhere else?
    Off we go:

Paladine's realm, the Dome of Creation, is on Solania, fourth layer of Mount Celestia
    Mishakal's realm, Healers' Home, is on Amoria, first layer of Elysium
    Branchala's realm, Soul of Music, is on Ysgard, first layer of Ysgard
    Habbakuk's realm, Zhan the Great Forest, is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands
    Kiri-Jolith's realm, Heart of Justice, is on Shurrock, second layer of Bytopia
    Majere's realm, Contemplation, is on Amoria, first layer of Elysium

Gilean's realm, the Hidden Vale, is on the Outlands
    Reorx's realm, the Anvil of Creation, is on Abellio, first layer of Arcadia
    Chislev's realm, Zhan the Great Forest, is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands
    Shinare's realm, the Scales of Wealth, part of the Marketplace Eternal, is on the Outlands
    Sirrion's realm, the Flame Void, is in Limbo
    Zivilyn's realm, Zhan the Great Forest, is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands, though he wanders

Takhisis's realm, Abthalom, the Nether Reaches, is on Avernus, first layer of Baator
    Sargonnas's realm, the Palace of Deception, is on Chamada, second layer of Gehenna
    Chemosh's realm, Lifebane, is the 142nd layer of the Abyss
    Hiddukel's realm, the Broken Scale, is the 333rd layer of the Abyss
    Morgion's realm, the Fortress of Disease, is on Oinos, first layer of Hades
    Zeboim's realm, Maelstrom, is on Phlegethon, third layer of Pandemonium

Solinari, Lunitari and Nuitari share an Ethereal demiplane, the Lost Citadel of Magic
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2015-07-31 at 07:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Barbarian in the Playground

Conjecture request (I thought about nestled crystal spheres in the last week too...), so ignore anything too tedious/stupid/already answered.

1. What would a nestled (or multiple) crystal sphere(s) actually look like to you?

I believe the distance from the center of the sphere to the outer-most celestial body is, usually, half the distance from the center to the crystal sphere wall. So, I assume there would be a huge scale of size difference, especially if you went through more than one additional crystal sphere "layer".

1A. Would there be any reason that two, or more, crystal spheres couldn't/shouldn't exist "near" each other within a larger one? (Like a spherical bag of marbles)

1B. If you expect there to be some planets between "crystal sphere layers", do you think they (stars or solar systems) would be like satellites to the inner crystal sphere?

2. Would you typically expect there to be (a) habited planet(s) somewhere between the two sphere layers?

3. Assuming a habited planet exists between two sphere layers, would you expect the interior crystal sphere to have a similar, or different, "camouflaging trick" than the outer crystal sphere? (In the way that crystal sphere walls seem to be far enough away to be hidden, or are otherwise actually hidden by a wall of something like "the ground")

4. Would you expect nestled-crystal spheres to have a "special purpose", like a prison substitute? (I'm under the impression planets usually suffice for that, though)

5. Is it entirely inappropriate to suggest that if a physical "edge" of the Prime Material Plane was found, it would be similar to discovering a crystal sphere wall? (Which would be an impossibly large sphere that contains the phlogiston and all the other crystal spheres). Kind of like that episode of Futurama where the characters visit the edge of the universe and look at an alternate one. Though i would expect a PMP Crystal Sphere to be fundamentally different from normal spelljammer system one.
    Last edited by DrKerosene; 2015-08-01 at 02:16 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrKerosene View Post
    Conjecture request (I thought about nestled crystal spheres in the last week too...), so ignore anything too tedious/stupid/already answered.
    Oh not this again.

1. What would a nestled (or multiple) crystal sphere(s) actually look like to you?
    Who knows? Would vary sphere to sphere. Chances are you wouldn't notice unless you were close to it, and then it would look like any other sphere does.

1A. Would there be any reason that two, or more, crystal spheres couldn't/shouldn't exist "near" each other within a larger one? (Like a spherical bag of marbles)
    I can't reasonably speak to that.

1B. If you expect there to be some planets between "crystal sphere layers", do you think they (stars or solar systems) would be like satellites to the inner crystal sphere?
    No.

2. Would you typically expect there to be (a) habited planet(s) somewhere between the two sphere layers?
    Nested spheres are conjectural, there is no "typical" about it. Most planets in Spelljammer have some form of life on them.

3. Assuming a habited planet exists between two sphere layers, would you expect the interior crystal sphere to have a similar, or different, "camouflaging trick" than the outer crystal sphere? (In the way that crystal sphere walls seem to be far enough away to be hidden, or are otherwise actually hidden by a wall of something like "the ground")
    I would expect the distance to be so great as to render the point moot.

4. Would you expect nestled-crystal spheres to have a "special purpose", like a prison substitute? (I'm under the impression planets usually suffice for that, though)
    No.

5. Is it entirely inappropriate to suggest that if a physical "edge" of the Prime Material Plane
    Yes, it is entirely inappropriate.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Pixie in the Playground

Terminology question: you got the Upper Planes (Arcadia to Ysgard) and the Lower Planes (Acheron to Pandemonium). But what about Mechanus and Limbo, and maybe the Outlands too? Do they have a name like that for themselves, like the Middle Planes or the Central Planes or something like that?

24. - Top - End - #354

Terminology question: you got the Upper Planes (Arcadia to Ysgard) and the Lower Planes (Acheron to Pandemonium). But what about Mechanus and Limbo, and maybe the Outlands too? Do they have a name like that for themselves, like the Middle Planes or the Central Planes or something like that?
    Axiomatic and anarchic?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Primes tend to talk about the Lower, the Upper and the Neutral Planes. Planars usually prefer to use Planes of Law (Celestia, Arkadia, Mechanus, Archeron, Baator), Planes of Chaos (Aborea, Ysgard, Limbo, Pandemonium, Abyss) and Planes of Conflict (everything between).

26. - Top - End - #356

MonkGirl

The Marketplace Eternal is an interesting place (Waukeen is my favorite FR power); is there any other examples of Gods from different pantheons working together so closely?

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Off we go:

Paladine's realm, the Dome of Creation, is on Solania, fourth layer of Mount Celestia
    Mishakal's realm, Healers' Home, is on Amoria, first layer of Elysium
    Branchala's realm, Soul of Music, is on Ysgard, first layer of Ysgard
    Habbakuk's realm, Zhan the Great Forest, is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands
    Kiri-Jolith's realm, Heart of Justice, is on Shurrock, second layer of Bytopia
    Majere's realm, Contemplation, is on Amoria, first layer of Elysium

Gilean's realm, the Hidden Vale, is on the Outlands
    Reorx's realm, the Anvil of Creation, is on Abellio, first layer of Arcadia
    Chislev's realm, Zhan the Great Forest, is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands
    Shinare's realm, the Scales of Wealth, part of the Marketplace Eternal, is on the Outlands
    Sirrion's realm, the Flame Void, is in Limbo
    Zivilyn's realm, Zhan the Great Forest, is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands, though he wanders

Takhisis's realm, Abthalom, the Nether Reaches, is on Avernus, first layer of Baator
    Sargonnas's realm, the Palace of Deception, is on Chamada, second layer of Gehenna
    Chemosh's realm, Lifebane, is the 142nd layer of the Abyss
    Hiddukel's realm, the Broken Scale, is the 333rd layer of the Abyss
    Morgion's realm, the Fortress of Disease, is on Oinos, first layer of Hades
    Zeboim's realm, Maelstrom, is on Phlegethon, third layer of Pandemonium

Solinari, Lunitari and Nuitari share an Ethereal demiplane, the Lost Citadel of Magic
    Don't forget to mention that Zhan the Great forest is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands!
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-08-01 at 05:35 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Don't forget to mention that Zhan the Great forest is on Karasuthra, third layer of the Beastlands!
    Mention who?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Mention who?
    It was a joke. Read the quoted post.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

The Book of Vile Darkness (the artifact, not the other thing )

It's got a very interesting history from what I gather (e.g. Vecna's invovlement), but more than that I was hoping you'd be willing to go into it's powers and significance.

Like, its says that if a good character looks inside, there is an 80% chance they'll get attacked by an Evil Outsider that night. Is there any fluff to explain how or why this would happen? I mean, why would any given outsider care, and how would they a) know it happenend and b) get to the material so reliably/fast? It all just leaves a lot of open questions is all.
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource