New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Matter scyfy series

Well, that's a hell of a cliffhanger to end the season on...especially when it hasn't been confirmed yet if there will be a second season.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Well, if there isn't a second season, you can assume they were all jailed for stealing the white hole bomb. Except Two, who was killed, and the Android, who would be re-programmed.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-29 at 08:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Well, if there isn't a second season, you can assume they were all jailed for stealing the white hole bomb. Except Two, who was killed, and the Android, who would be re-programmed.
    One has a way out via a genetic test. He was still there, so he would get probation, but he can avoid jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    One has a way out via a genetic test. He was still there, so he would get probation, but he can avoid jail.
    The bomb killed 15,000 people. Even in a bleak setting like this, they probably wouldn't let him off with a slap on the wrist.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The others might not because of their previous record but whilst One can argue they only delivered the item and had no idea it was going to do that all of them would argue Five was also innocent since they would have evidence to point out about the amnesia and the fact the real bad guys regarding the black hole bomb actually tried to kill them en route so probably knew more about what the delivery could actually do.

Edit: Yet to watch last two episodes have they seriously not made a decision about this series yet?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

They badly need to do a season 2 of this...I loved season 1, but the cliffhanger was brutal.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lot of loose threads for (hopefully) Season 2... I feel a little manipulated (and poorly) about the major cliffhanger:
    Spoiler
    Show

It feels like they kind of forced the most implausible traitor, and a little heavy-handedly too; what with the crapstorm of accusations going between the major suspects that acted as a episode-long distraction. It was still entertaining, but it was a big tonal shift from the big burst of camaraderie after the rescue of Two by the Android. And seriously, all the action scenes from now one should just be Two and the Android.

Also still find the way Four is handled very annoying. And man I still cannot stand One.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

OK, the season finale was several days ago. To hell with the spoilers.

I've heard a lot of people say "OMG how could Six be so evil for betraying the team," but what did he actually do? He ratted out a bunch of criminals to the Galactic Authority, ie. the space cops.

Let's consider that the crew of the Raza had just co-operated in the theft of a white hole bomb that killed over 15,000 people. That's two incidents of unintentional mass murder that Six now has on his conscience. I believe he contacted the Galactic Authority because he thought they needed to be stopped before they did any more damage.

And let's consider the possibility this might actually work out in the Raza crew's favour. Working on their own, they had managed to piss off Ferrous Corp, the Mikkei Combine, Traugott Corp and Dwarf Star Technologies. There was barely a person in the galaxy who wasn't gunning for them. They may be able to work out some sort of a deal with the Galactic Authority, ie. working as boxed crooks.

EDIT: Also, a spot of good news! SyFy gave the go-ahead to Season 2, along with Killjoys.

http://deadline.com/2015/09/killjoys...fy-1201511362/
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-09-01 at 12:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Candle is probably right.

Spoiler
    Show

Still gonna use spoilers in case someone new to the series stumbles upon this thread.

Anywho, Six's betrayal is probably more to do with the white hole bomb incident than the dealio with the mind-wiping, like Candle said. Its been pointed out that it was Five who programmed the mind wipe in the first place, but probably as a protective measure than a betrayal... the reasoning behind that is probably independent of what Six is doing right now.

Considering Two's nature, Six must know that this is crazy dangerous to go to the Galactic Authority ... which doesn't help with the argument he's doing this for the good of the crew of the Raza. Well, new season so we'll at least find out there!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

We only have Six's word for it that Five did the mind wipe, and his credibility is a bit lacking right now. Doesn't mean Six did it, but I need confirmation more than just a line of dialogue before he pretends to hear a sound as an excuse to leave the room.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Dark Matter apparently renewed along with Killjoys.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sangenkai View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

It feels like they kind of forced the most implausible traitor, and a little heavy-handedly too; what with the crapstorm of accusations going between the major suspects that acted as a episode-long distraction.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know. I was suspicious of six for a few episodes - from the moment he started taking a very protective approach to five, actually, and it wasn't until he apparently became one of the victims that I turned my attention elsewhere -- nice bit of deception there.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I thought I would do a Character appraisal now that the first season is over. Note, that this are all based on the whole season and so will be put in spoilers so people don't complain.

One:

Spoiler
    Show

One is the comic relief of the bunch. He lacks any of the hardened criminal aspects of the others, lacks the ability to not come across as a wannabe. Plus you have the fact that he decided to pose as somebody else to get on board the ship. While he is trying to find the killer of his dead wife, he does have wealth so he could have hired somebody to investigate or even tossed money around to get one of the MegaCorps the gang works for to give him so one on one time with Three. He also had a connection with the colonists and had previously arranged to get them guns as far as I can tell.

In general, One is starting to come across as a real pansy. He isn't a criminal like the others, so he won't share their fate, he can have it easily proven he was just kidnapped, and Six already knows by the Finale that One is an imposter. One will get released, restored possibly to original appearance and sent home. Short of deliberately doing something to get knocked into jail with the others, One's time with the crew is effectively over. So, goodbye, One.

Two:

Spoiler
    Show

Two is the de facto leader of the ship and from what we see before probably has been. Then we have her being an illegal creation. Some method of her escaping the police or swinging some deal, which Two should have little problems doing for the crew as she seems a deft hand at negotiating, sounds like the most sense to me. Convincing the police to have her work for them while employing the crew is the quickest bet to not get torched, so I expect her to successfully pull that off. She may even try to get something to let Five be able to go free, since Five isn't a criminal and Two seems to have a soft spot for Five, given the effort that Two went to keep Five safe.

That said, I don't see Two being thrilled with letting Five go along unless necessary, and I don't see Two really wanting to have One rejoin them. One isn't a criminal, has no real ties to the crew, and was apparently planning on betraying them on the colony job by buying or supplying weapons to the colonists.

Three:

Spoiler
    Show

Basically Jayne from Firefly but with more humor and more tendency to actually be shown doing stuff. The appearance of the woman in the box shows that Three has heart, and her death affects him despite his not remembering her. The fact that he hid her in the vault shows either sympathy from Two or Six or even Four or Three was sneaky enough to pull it off without anybody knowing. He may not fond of stowaways but it is left unclear about whether he would have actually spaced Five or not.

Three was also willing to give up the code to save Two, which given how much that Three was in for himself is weird but understandable when you consider that Three is being played as a successful way of being Chaotic Evil in mostly Neutral or Lawful Neutral party. He is basically the belkar of the group.

Four:

Spoiler
    Show

I love Four, and think he has potential for more interesting plots to follow. How he goes about clearly his name, and whether he does so has good potential to mine. Plus add in that he unlike the others come from royality means he could have useful contacts for the crew to exploit for work or money.

His reaction to One, especially in the vault shows a similar thread with the others besides Five in that the rest don't One. I think that Four was talking with Two about killing One more likely than Six, since nothing so far has suggested that Six was being found out. Plus Four seems to like Six from before, making it strange that Four would want to kill Six, especially given the similarity between Four and Six in regards to their backgrounds of Four being found guilty of crime he didn't commit and Six being found guilty of crime that he didn't commit either.

Five:

Spoiler
    Show

Five is our audience surrogate or at least the person most easily identifiable with the audience. She doesn't have a place among the group yet, but she is earning her place. Unlike the rest of the crew and being the same as One, her lack of criminal record makes it easier for her to get off. She knows mechanical information and appears to learn really quickly, making her actually worth taking along, unlike One who really just has his money. Five has also shown a willingness to risk her life for the crew when she was free to say no, which makes her a better candidate to have along.

Plus Five provides fun commentary, is a snarker, and always seems cool like a fun friend to hang with. She inspires sympathy in Two, friendliness in Six, and either Three or Four seem upset or disturbed with her. Somehow Five has earned an acceptance from the rest of the crew within a short amount of time. Five is actually becoming like everyone's kid sister. The idea of her using the skills she is witnessing in the other members of the crews memories means she could successfully stage a breakout if she wanted to. Plus being a kid means she is most likely to end up in a position to take action.

Six:

Spoiler
    Show

Six is the token black guy, and he comes across as the most easy going and most likely to be the heart or encourage the group to work together. There is also his history of fighting against the MegaCorps. I think that Six was likely some kind of Galactic police agent was originally tasked with getting into the resistance movement to find out more about its boss. Or he could have signed up between the time his actions in the resistance happened in the police then ended up on ship. How he got on board, I don't know and we haven't seen, but it is likely that he probably found material detailing his contacts with the police. I don't see him as being likely to worry about One, and he could talk to the crew about working with police but for why I can't tell.

I like Six because of how well he is being played, and he has nice connections to the crew besides One who has almost no connections. The idea of One leaving seems far more likely than Six leaving and with the right steps, Six can act like he got captured too. None of the Crew are actually aware of Six turning them in and as such Six could talk everyone but One into helping out while protecting Five. One is a wealthy businessman and most likely to get sent home.

What I expect to happen:

Spoiler
    Show

One gets sent home while the others either await trial or are given encouragement to work with the police. Or they break out after One has left as there is little to no more plot to be derived from One as either Three was responsible or One has to find out what Three knows which is the sum value of One's place on crew. He has no other reasons to stay with the Crew and no reasons not to leave. Once One knows whatever Three knows (Acquired perhaps by Five exploring Three's memories), I expect One to just ditch. The idea of having One stick around is unlikely.

I expect something to happen with the rest of the crew.

Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

One is really more of the Token Good Teammate of the crew — the direct opposite of Three, who's usually in favour of whatever is the most evil action. Five is also a good person, but is just a young girl; her objections are generally ignored.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-07-01 at 10:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    What I expect to happen:

Spoiler
    Show

One gets sent home while the others either await trial or are given encouragement to work with the police. Or they break out after One has left as there is little to no more plot to be derived from One as either Three was responsible or One has to find out what Three knows which is the sum value of One's place on crew. He has no other reasons to stay with the Crew and no reasons not to leave. Once One knows whatever Three knows (Acquired perhaps by Five exploring Three's memories), I expect One to just ditch. The idea of having One stick around is unlikely.

I expect something to happen with the rest of the crew.

Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is that at the end of the first season despite having started the season with a chance at a fresh start the crew of the Raza are back to being villains. Heck the members of the crew that weren't villains to begin with, One and Five, are on their way to becoming villains. One was the person who argued in favor of stealing the device from the research station and Five was eager to be part of the mission. When things predictably went south on the mission and Four needed to mow down a bunch security guards whose only crime was doing their job, no one from the crew shed a tear over even batted an eye over the taking of innocent lives. These weren't concentration camp guards or evil storm troopers; these were a bunch of rent of cops. Probably some of them had spouses and children. "Well, sucks to be them", says the crew of the Raza, One and Five included.

The crew of the Raza are villains, and only Six has enough of a moral compass to see it. So Six does the right thing, or the closest thing he can get to the right thing in the mess that is the Dark Matter universe, and handed the crew over to the Galactic Authority. There are a lot of ways they can go with this next season, but whichever way they go they have to address the fact that despite being given a second chance to invent themselves as the persons they want to be, they blew it. This includes One and Five, though Five is young enough that if she is removed from the corrupting influence of the others she might straighten out on her own. All the others need redemption, and that is what I expect season two to be about.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

What I'd like to see happen;

One
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is an actual villain up to this point he's been trying to discover his past and learning Three was blamed for his wife's death might mean the death of Three's girlfriend may not have been as accidental as it sounded.

Somehow he got his Original to run and managed to take his place these are things he would have needed some skill to pull off especially as the others obviously didn't suspect anything was up so having him discover he isn't that different from those other Corporates might improve his character next season!

Two
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still haven't seen the last two episodes so I don't know the truth behind her origin, but I figure Wil will try and recover her rather than let her be disposed of or at least insure her secret is safe in so far as it doesn't come back and bite him!

He's the most likely to hire a squad to get her out of the GA hands and that might help them break loose start of next season

Three
    Spoiler
    Show
    Turns out he's the undercover cop!

There have been plenty of times where he could have gone even further with his schemes but when things got tough he chose to try and help.

That's a mite unusual and nothing says he wasn't blamed for the death of One's wife by someone unaware he's an undercover cop maybe even a Galactic Alliance Marshal please remember that idyllic setting Five was interesting in staying within?

I think that was Three's past rather than One's

Four
    Spoiler
    Show
    We know his past what we don't know is how he got aboard the Raza, maybe we'll see how the others all met up for the first time but I want to find out how Four ended up aboard!

Five
    Spoiler
    Show
    So we know she stole something important and the kid in storage was a friend who she couldn't save because she was caught in sickbay by Three and last we saw being threatened with being shot out into space!

My guess is she coughed up her friend in hopes of saving his life but he was dead by the time they reached him.

Three being not evil decided after hearing Five's story that she needed protecting so he helped her into one of the stasis tubes promising to help her once they reach their destination.

I don't believe Five caused the memory wipe and would like to find out more about the person she stole that card from and the group he belonged to who wiped out her original group.

Six
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Six was the original Captain of the Raza, the ship is the same one he helped steal from his memories and he recruited the others as part of his scheme to make amends for his part in that disaster.

He chose the code for the vault which is why I think this is the case, it would be interesting if the GA confront him with this as well as reveal other parts of his lost past to fill in the origin story of the Raza and its crew

The Android
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hardly a surprise I included her since I think there's more to what's been revealed so far.

Why did she go to such lengths to rescue Two?

Maybe she does remember her past and treats Two as more of a sister given her unusual origin?

I'd like more detail on her especially with the origin story as I think it might be crucial to where they go with this series next that and if she comes back online she might rescue them again!

Next Season
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really need to see how they first met!

Was Two their go to person for contacting that Fixer?

Seemed a mite odd considering you would have thought he would have realised she didn't remember him that well!

Exactly who are the true bad guys here?

Is the General actually an enemy of the GA or a dupe used to promote the GA as a better alternative?

If not the GA might be curious about Six since there might be evidence to show he is now an enemy of the General and might be worth using as a trouble shooter but would they bother?

Ultimately who knows where they will go next?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless
    Ultimately who knows where they will go next?
    To prison, as it turns out. And it seems the GA is just as corrupt as the mega-corporations.

Who else caught the Season 2 premiere?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Has it been reviewed yet?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

If you mean reviewed - yes many reviews have occured.

If you meant renewed - yes, season 2 started yesterday.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

I caught it. Looks like they are giving the episodes titles this season, instead of numbers.

I noticed Amanda Tapping directed this one. She did one episode back in season 1, too.

Spoiler: S2E1 - Welcome to Your New Home
    Show
    Do you think One is really dead? Or maybe he faked his own death, with Jace's help? I mean, it seems odd that they'd kill off a main character in the first episode like that.
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2016-07-02 at 12:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Missed the premier. Watching it now online.

It starts already. About 20 minutes in female inmate knocks out male Three in one punch. Female Two has to come in to beat her up, a draw in this case.

Males always lose to females unless he's the BBEG to show off his evilness. Only the female protagonist can defeat the female bad guy.

Also, Three continues his "Worf" role. The protagonist tough guy who has to get beat up by an NPC to show how tough the NPC is.

I like the show. Really. I'm just sick and tired of these tropes.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Seriously!!!

Spoiler
    Show
    What they killed ONE! the bastards!!!!😨

Dark Matter has a South Park reference!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Missed the premier. Watching it now online.

It starts already. About 20 minutes in female inmate knocks out male Three in one punch. Female Two has to come in to beat her up, a draw in this case.

Males always lose to females unless he's the BBEG to show off his evilness. Only the female protagonist can defeat the female bad guy.

Also, Three continues his "Worf" role. The protagonist tough guy who has to get beat up by an NPC to show how tough the NPC is.

I like the show. Really. I'm just sick and tired of these tropes.
    Infairness to the fight I think they have made it clear that 3 is a gun guy - and likely best on the ship in that role, but in close quarters it is not his forte.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler: S2E1 - Welcome to Your New Home
    Show
    Do you think One is really dead? Or maybe he faked his own death, with Jace's help? I mean, it seems odd that they'd kill off a main character in the first episode like that.
    Spoiler
    Show

I am not sure - on one side his comment prior to getting shot indicates he may have been expecting it, but maybe not and Jace will be the new crewman (as he was initially meant to be apparently).
    I would saw he is still alive.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Infairness to the fight I think they have made it clear that 3 is a gun guy - and likely best on the ship in that role, but in close quarters it is not his forte.
    I'd accept that but later we learn the female inmate is a She-Woman Man Hater.

I do appreciate Two is Honest True friend of Three and on his side. I like the meeting at the end with Four planning for their escape. Three calls Two "Boss", and it's genuine affection. They're a Team.

Other tropes:

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course the Warden is in on it whatever it is. Also, please give a shout out if you did not think the CEO is involved in One's wife's murder and Three was set-up. <crickets>

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Three has never won a physical fight yet. He's handy with guns, not fists. He's definitely not the ship tough guy.

Two and Four are the top hand-to-hand fighters. You could make the argument that Nyx was proving her mettle by matching Two.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-07-02 at 04:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

You could make the argument that Nyx was proving her mettle by matching Two.
    And there was a hint that she might be more than human also.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Three has never won a physical fight yet. He's handy with guns, not fists. He's definitely not the ship tough guy.

Two and Four are the top hand-to-hand fighters. You could make the argument that Nyx was proving her mettle by matching Two.
    He's the bully. He's never won a fight because that's the point. He's the one who always gets beat up to show the bad-a$$ery of the BBEG of the week. Certainly the others lost fights from time to time in season one, but it's a plot point. Either the entire crew is captured or it's a character exposition story. Three? He's just a punchline, literally. Nyx is apparently an NPC who will hang around for several episodes at least, so she needed to show her credentials. Why was it necessary for her to beat up Three? Why couldn't she pick a fight with Two or Four to test the Raza crew. Two would have made sense because she's the Captain. Alternatively she could have picked on Four because he's just a stupid man, but I repeat myself in her view, and Three be the one to test the riot control procedures as it makes sense for him to lose his temper so easily and hide the fact he's doing it on purpose to do the testing.

Why did she have to beat anyone up at all? She could have been an acquaintance of one of the crew's past they don't remember and perhaps later suspect she's lying whether she's Honest True or not. Sappy, she could have just admired the Raza's reputation and be willing to share her plan to escape with them because they can do what's necessary. Maybe she's in on it with the Warden and they're repeating an infiltration like Six.

They went with the trope Three must be beat up to show her toughness. Female against male was an added bonus.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

He's the bully. He's never won a fight because that's the point. He's the one who always gets beat up to show the bad-a$$ery of the BBEG of the week.
    He suffers amusing injuries because he's the Comedy Relief. He's the most criminal member of the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex
    Certainly the others lost fights from time to time in season one, but it's a plot point. Either the entire crew is captured or it's a character exposition story. Three? He's just a punchline, literally. Nyx is apparently an NPC who will hang around for several episodes at least, so she needed to show her credentials. Why was it necessary for her to beat up Three?
    Because she happened to be passing by when the three inmates were threatening Three because he had cheated them on a heist, which is totally in character for Three?

Also, Three needed to be injured so he could go to the infirmary? Granted, that was an extraneous subplot, but Two, Three and Four were all exploring the prison this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex
    Why did she have to beat anyone up at all?
    Well, she and Two had to get into a fight so they'd be tossed in solitary confinement together.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-07-02 at 11:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I am not sure - on one side his comment prior to getting shot indicates he may have been expecting it, but maybe not and Jace will be the new crewman (as he was initially meant to be apparently).
    I would saw he is still alive.
    I would have to say
    Spoiler
    Show

Jace fired four shots with the last shot being in One's forehead. You can see it clearly because they show it. The only way that One survived was that he got himself cloned, and he stuck a clone in his own place in case somebody came after him.

Not sure where One could have gotten cloned, or how he could done it. The first(only) time One gets a clone, his true appearance shows up. One would have had to find a way to get his clone modified to replace his face. The lawyer woman mentions getting plastic surgery to restore One's facial features.

It is most accurate to say that One has died as there is no way a clone would have the same face, and that with the head-shot, that One is not getting up again if he somehow survived the first 3 shots.

Plus, earlier to being killed, One is packing showing that he is getting ready to leave where he is to go elsewhere. He looks completely surprised to see Jace.

Another point
    Spoiler
    Show

What about that weird plastic card that Five/Emily picked up? Is that what the new GA detective lady is curious about? Somebody had to have made that, and there were some killings reported as being caused by the guys looking for it with implications that they would kill 5 for having it...

Regarding 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Since 4 is now in prison, will he get extradited to the Empire place that he is from to face charges?
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

But what if it wasn't Jace?

Spoiler
    Show
    What if it was One pretending to be Jace and a clone that got shot?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-07-03 at 03:40 PM.