New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Screen Name Origins

Quote Originally Posted by MrConsideration View Post
    You know what they say about sequels!
    They're totally better than the originals?

I kid, I kid. Half the places in this state are named after England, apparently.
    Also, the picture they have of Birmingham, UK looks pretty idyllic. Maybe I should switch Birminghams some day...
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-07-01 at 05:34 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mine's a Phantasy Star pun.

Years back, when a friend had me play Phantasy Star Online with her, I was doing the "make a bunch of characters to see what I liked" thing, and had more or less decided on a main, but ended up making a RAcaseal alt to try one last character. (for the uninitiated, that's agility type android gunner.) I'd ended up using up most of my interesting character names, and needed a new one, so I decided to look back to the real Phantasy Star games' naming conventions. In PS3 and PS4, there were two androids named Wren, which in the japanese versions of the games were named Shirren and Forren respectively. There were also a host of random android enemies in PS4 with various name variations on -rren. So I arrived at the pun "No Wren" which I wrote "Norren". It ended up being somewhat popular with my friends on there even though I spent most of my time on my RAmarl.

Some years later, when I quit playing MMOs I decided to retire the screen name that I'd used across all the different games as I didn't really want a constant reminder of all the drama and idiocy that happened during my WoW raid career. The next forum I went to register on I went to use the screen name I'd used prior to when I started playing MMOs, and for some reason I will never quite get, I ended up using Norren instead.

I've been using it ever since. Never have figured out why I prefer it to my old SN.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    My first name is "Jay", and my last name starts with an "R".
    Huh.
    And here I thought that it was a 1980s pop-culture reference, given your location.

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    My favorite element is dysprosium.
    Interesting choice.
    Mine's carbon.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Spamalot in the Playground

I like psionics, and I like manga. Shortly before joining this forum, I came across a manga about psionics, where the main characters (well, two of them) are a male Wilder and a female Psychic Warrior.

The image in my extended sig comes from that manga.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Interesting choice.
    Mine's carbon.
    And I would have guessed silver for you.

6. - Top - End - #66

It's a type of bread.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    It's a type of bread.
    Deliciously simplistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Well for ages I'd been shortening my name, Derrick (no, it's NOT spelled Derek, thank you very much everyone, ever...) down to DRK. What can I say, young and foolish and all that. Then when I went to play Mega Man Star Force 3: Black Ace (only Mega Man game I've ever played, sad to say), it was the first time I'd ever had to have a profile that could go online. So, I figured DRK would be too common (and I see that there's one on this very here forum...) so I tried to think of a second part. Looking at the box art, I was all "ooh, black cool armour", so thinking carefully for all of a nanosecond, I picked "Shadow" as the first thing that came to mind, which I use as my general name for Characters and stuff now. One day, I actually noticed that the letters DRK could be taken as a shortening for Dark.

So, yeah, moderate-long boring +3 exposition story.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

You'd like to know what's in the box, would you? Is that what you're asking? What's in the box? Huh?
    Well, maybe the box knows what's in you. Have you ever thought of that?
    Maybe the box holds every dark secret you've ever had, scrutinizing and archiving everything you've ever done, collecting every last little bit of your life, and holding it in reserve for when it really needs it. For when you step out of line. For when it needs to put you down.
    Do you still want to know what's in the box, huh? Do you?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Ever since I've been out on the internet, aged about 17 or so, I have used the handle "The Illusionist".
    Unsurprisingly it's taken just about as often as it's not, especially anywhere that's even vaguely connected to a fantasy theme - such as, for example, a D&D webcomic.

I then went to my second - and currently most preferred - choice "The Infernal Contraption" which, sadly, has hit the character limit as roughly "TheInfernalContrap" on every website other than the first one that I tried to use it, as it did on GitP, and that just won't do. I've managed to grab it only a small handful of times since.

My third choice was "DarkbladeWraith", which is also my Steam account, but because I was a little bit older and wiser when I joined GitP than Steam I wanted something a bit less.... teenage angst-y.
    Thus; Wraith.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

Once upon the time, I spent a lot of time on LotR and the elven languages. I like stars. Eldariel, which I used here, was written with a rather poor understanding of the Elven language; "El" means star, "-riel" is akin to "maiden". Nowadays I use "Gilalar", "starshine".
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

As far as I know, I made mine up. I love playing dwarves in DnD, LoTRO, and WoW, so I went with the most dwarven sounding name I could think of. So far it has worked out pretty well for me. So, nothing really funny or special, just me being a little creative and then sticking to it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

I used to go by BiggestANTMAN, which is because when i first created a Xbox Live account, the name ANTMAN which is a common nickname for my real name, you guess what it is , was already taken. It gave me options for a differant name and BiggestANTMAN was the only one that did not have numbers. I eventually decided to change it, and I wanted something that was something I liked, but not in english. CavaliereDraghi, means Knight of Dragons. you figure out the language.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I made it up. I just experimented with letters until I found a word that sounded cool, slapped "lord" in front of it then used that as my screen name ever since.

....wish I didn't put "lord" in front of it now though....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I made it up. I just experimented with letters until I found a word that sounded cool, slapped "lord" in front of it then used that as my screen name ever since.

....wish I didn't put "lord" in front of it now though....
    you could request a Username Change.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    you could request a Username Change.
    I did. 10 months ago. I'm still waiting on that to take effect. Never got any word back on why it wasn't changed.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I did. 10 months ago. I'm still waiting on that to take effect. Never got any word back on why it wasn't changed.
    maybe ask the Mods what is going on.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I could mention the other names I've used. My BBS days were "Thanatos" because I was a teenager who read Piers Anthony's On a Pale Horse. Come to the Internet and that's not so unique. I've used Infocom spell names in a variety of places. I spent some time studying the artificial language Lojban and used lojban words as names in a few places, likely not entirely correctly, heh. Oh, and in a reference to my less than common in the US Scandinavian last name I picked a Danish word for use in several related forums and in playing Civilization that I'm afraid is the wrong gender. Ha.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The "rs2" part is my first and last initial, and a reference to the "II" suffix on my name (my parents did that instead of "Junior" because they didn't want people calling me junior). "Excelsior" is both the name of my favorite Star Trek ship, and a really cool Latin word that I've kind of adopted as a personal motto--it means "ever upward." I can't remember exactly why I chose that combination specifically, but it was what I used when I made my first personal email account, and I've stuck with it ever since.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

This is actually my screen name from my minecraft account, since my alt. screen name was already taken, so I couldn't use it. My brother and I used to share the minecraft account, and created it together. The first two letters are our initials, and 42 should be rather obvious.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought mine came from the old noggin, but one day I saw a thread for "Google your username." So I did, and found out Lentrax is actually an antibacterial suppository for animals. Which means I probably got it off a brochure at the pet store my friend used to work at back in high school.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Hmm, I could mention the other names I've used. My BBS days were "Thanatos" because I was a teenager who read Piers Anthony's On a Pale Horse. Come to the Internet and that's not so unique. I've used Infocom spell names in a variety of places. I spent some time studying the artificial language Lojban and used lojban words as names in a few places, likely not entirely correctly, heh. Oh, and in a reference to my less than common in the US Scandinavian last name I picked a Danish word for use in several related forums and in playing Civilization that I'm afraid is the wrong gender. Ha.
    Some of my favorite books, those... Evil, then death, then war were my personal favorites.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by VincentTakeda View Post
    Some of my favorite books, those... Evil, then death, then war were my personal favorites.
    I always thought the Satan book was just an excuse for rewriting the major scenes from the other books from a different viewpoint, which is either a bit unimaginative or a writing challenge depending how you look at it. Certainly wasn't my favourite, that would probably be the Chronos (time) one.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

I've been using my username in various places online since the late 90's or early 2000's.

Back in high school, I was basically a ghost - I was there but didn't participate tangibly.

Back in college, a bunch of friends took to calling me "warlock" because I looked like Julian Sands from the movie Warlock.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I always thought the Satan book was just an excuse for rewriting the major scenes from the other books from a different viewpoint, which is either a bit unimaginative or a writing challenge depending how you look at it. Certainly wasn't my favourite, that would probably be the Chronos (time) one.
    I always felt like the entire series was an attempt to rewrite the whole thing from different viewpoints, which I quite enjoyed.

I think if there were a character from that author that I more identify with than parry, it might possibly be Crombie. Just figured Parry and Crombie are not exactly cool sounding screen names, heheheh.

26. - Top - End - #86

Kobold

Name is the stage name of a current DnD character, a messianic kobold.

He left the clutch to avoid being bullied to death for superior stats. Starving to death he lucked into a village of hobbits, probably the only being who wouldn't kill him on sight. He was bonded out to a sensei, trained to perform katas, staged fights, fire breathing, and acrobatics routines while wearing a ridiculous gold dragon costume and body paint. Kurt is a contraction of the Kobold gods' name, Kurageous for alliteration and the laziness of the sensei. The sensei actually refers to the kobold as "Worm," a disrespectful name perverted from "wyrm."

Kobolds generally don't live long enough to have a name, so Worm/Kurt has a limited concept of his name as well as everything else in the massively confusing humanoid social rules.

If you care, the first sensei died and was replaced by a kinder sensei who doesn't compel Kurt to perform anymore. He's currently a 5e LN L2 monk with a performer(gladiator) background who dreams of some day finding and reeducating his own god to stop kobolds from worshipping dragons, or preaching a new way to live to kobold tribes. He's still terrified of dragons, though.

27. - Top - End - #87

I thought, "what's the dumbest possible vaguely fantasy-themed pun I can make?"
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

28. - Top - End - #88
    Spamalot in the Playground

Roland and Rawhide moderate that subforum - I would PM one of them directly and (politely) point out the long timelag on your request. (One of them would have to process it anyway, unless I'm mistaken.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    To this day, I would kill to have a Sning. But I think I abandoned the series somewhere around Being a Green Mother. I'm not sure that I made it to For Love of Evil. But now I'll have to go back and start reading through again....
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Years ago I played Everquest. My main character was named Balain Cobblpot. So Balain got used as my user name here and there.