New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Hello, first time Magus here,

I'm wondering what are good options for exiting from combat/threatened spaces. I had my first combat game yesterday (lvl 4) and I've found myself in a situation where an ''in-attack-out'' or ''easy-out'' tactic would had been useful.

Anything to suggest? Might that be a feat, item, spell (I really don't know all spells so forgive of my ignorance).

I'm planning for an Int/Dex build.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Laharal; 2016-11-27 at 03:36 PM.
    Great avatar made by Tiffanie Lirle
    If you don't see me... you're already dead...
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    You Are A:
    Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Quote Originally Posted by Laharal View Post
    I'm wondering what are good options for exiting from combat/threatened spaces. I had my first combat game yesterday (lvl 4) and I've found myself in a situation where an ''in-attack-out'' or ''easy-out'' tactic would had been useful.
    I suggest Vanish.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I suggest Vanish.
    Illusion of Calm also works and doesn't require recasting after you pop your Vanish with an attack. Of course, it becomes less useful if your attackers disbelieve it but either is a temporary solution in combat, anyways.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Thanks!

1) Any teleportation spells you'd recommend (ready to achieve via spell blending if needed) ?
    2) Why is the improved critical feat not on the list? I understand that at lvl 5 you could use keen, but on the other hand this feat is a means to have the same effect without spending arcana points or money (to hard-enchant). So there is obviously a good reason that I don't know yet. What did I miss?
    3) Finally, I'm wondering what would be my bread-and-butter damage spell at mid and high levels. I know (thanks to this guide) that an intensified/maximized shocking grasp can go a long way but at one point it will still be in need of remplacement ,right? (If yes, near what levels do you guys recommend switching to another dmg spell?).

I really appreciate your help guys,
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    You Are A:

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

You're welcome!

(1) There are surprisingly few combat teleport spells, and Magus already gets the good ones (Storm Step and Dimension Door).
    (2) Because you have much better things to spend your feat slots on, but not many better things to spend a +1 weapon enchantment on.
    (3) Try Vampiric Touch and Corrosive Consumption.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

6. - Top - End - #546
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I'll second that Improved Critical is not a feat that should be taken. Having to not worry about activating Keen is all well and good, but by the time you get the feat, the list of things worth adding to your sword is... painfully small. I took it with a Bladebound character, and he was constantly scratching at the +5 cap for weapons. I wouldn't say it's a trap option, since it certainly does help your character, but I certainly felt limited.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I just registered to say I really enjoyed your guide. I have a question on your Eldritch Scion build though. What school do you recommend for Spell Focus? Also, what spell do you recommend for Spontaneous Metafocus?

8. - Top - End - #548

Worth mentioning, for the Eldritch Scion at least:
    Divine Anthology also has the Divine Fighting Technique "Desnas Shooting Star". It allows you to use your Charisma-modifier for attack and damage with a Starknife. Which isn't the best weapon for a Magus - it only has a 20 crit range - but going SAD can be pretty good.
    I think it's worth a mention on the Charisma-magus at least.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The other question is any thoughts on the Moonlight Stalker feat, since you rate Blind Fighting high, but is it worth a feat for Combat Expertise?

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kosryn View Post
    I just registered to say I really enjoyed your guide. I have a question on your Eldritch Scion build though. What school do you recommend for Spell Focus? Also, what spell do you recommend for Spontaneous Metafocus?
    Thank you. In this case I'd recommend Spell Focus Conjuration (for the battlefield control spells) or Evocation (for fireball), and Spont Metafocus Fireball. Optionally, dip into crossblooded sorcerer to boost your damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    Divine Anthology also has the Divine Fighting Technique "Desnas Shooting Star".
    Good catch. And yes, a SAD character is very good to have, especially if you take feats like Scion of War (cha to initiative).

Quote Originally Posted by Kosryn View Post
    The other question is any thoughts on the Moonlight Stalker feat, since you rate Blind Fighting high, but is it worth a feat for Combat Expertise?
    CE by itself is pretty worthless. MS is therefore spending two feats for a +2/+2 (as long as you have certain buffs active to grant you concealment). That's basically the equivalent of taking Weapon Focus and Weapon Spec (which are always on). Frankly the Magus already has very high spike damage and good buff spells, so these feats aren't needed. I'd rank them all orange (ok but not spectactular, and you can do much better).

11. - Top - End - #551
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks!

1) Any teleportation spells you'd recommend (ready to achieve via spell blending if needed) ?
    2) Why is the improved critical feat not on the list? I understand that at lvl 5 you could use keen, but on the other hand this feat is a means to have the same effect without spending arcana points or money (to hard-enchant). So there is obviously a good reason that I don't know yet. What did I miss?
    3) Finally, I'm wondering what would be my bread-and-butter damage spell at mid and high levels. I know (thanks to this guide) that an intensified/maximized shocking grasp can go a long way but at one point it will still be in need of remplacement ,right? (If yes, near what levels do you guys recommend switching to another dmg spell?).

I really appreciate your help guys,
    If you're looking for mid level blasting spells, I became REALLY fond of using "Storm of Blades" in conjunction with Arcane Accuracy to fire off Large-sized Great Swords. Extra points for firing them through an Augmenting Wall and boosting the damage with Arcane Strike.

Extra, Extra points if you use the False Focus feat to eliminate the material cost of swords.
    Last edited by AzureDidact; 2016-12-03 at 01:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AzureDidact View Post
    If you're looking for mid level blasting spells, I became REALLY fond of using "Storm of Blades"
    There's several reason why that doesn't work. First, arcane accuracy cannot be used together with arcane strike (because both require a swift action). Second, SOB doesn't work with false focus (since it explicitly makes a copy of the weapon you're holding, and you're not holding any). Third, SOB doesn't work with augmenting wall (since SOB's swords are neither a thrown weapon nor ammunition). Fourth, SOB explicitly creates standard weapons, meaning it doesn't work for large or huge weapons. And fifth, because SOB creates standard weapons, it doesn't copy the bonus from arcane strike either.

Storm of Blades is a really bad spell, really not something to recommend for blasting. Just go with Scorching Ray or Snowball, they're much better (primarily because they're both touch attacks).

13. - Top - End - #553
    Dwarf in the Playground

Howdy,
    I used spell combat and spellstrike today for the first time and I just wanted to check some details with you guys, in order to be extra sure.

A)In a round when I cast a spell and then fail the attack, I can hold the charge until my next attack hits right? (from my standard attack in the same turn or my next round's attack or even an AOO).

B) In a second attempt to hit with my weapon (with a held spell), I do not incur the -2 penalty to attack of spell combat.

C) I do not lose a spell prepared with spellstrike if I miss a traget due to incorporeality.

D) I saw in the Ultimate Magic FAQ http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9oym : Magus: Can a magus use spellstrike (page 10) to cast a touch spell, move, and make a melee attack with a weapon to deliver the touch spell, all in the same round?

Yes. Other than deploying the spell with a melee weapon attack instead of a melee touch attack, the magus spellstrike ability doesn’t change the normal rules for using touch spells in combat (Core Rulebook page 185).
    --------
    So if I understand correctly, as long as I don't make all my other iterative attacks, casting+hitting like this doesn't count as a full-round, thus I can move in this context?

Many thanks for your help guys!
    Last edited by Laharal; 2016-12-10 at 09:36 PM.
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    You Are A:

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Howdy,
    I used spell combat and spellstrike today for the first time and I just wanted to check some details with you guys, in order to be extra sure.
    A) Correct, assuming you're casting a touch spell.

B) If it's still your same turn, then you do take the penalty. If the attack is on your next round (or an AOO) then you don't take the penalty.

C) Well, you've still cast the spell so it's not prepared any more. But yes you'd be holding the charge.

D) Yes, and since this isn't spell combat you don't take the -2 either.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the help with all the mechanics of the magus.

It really felt good to discharge my first shocking grasp through a weapon while having the only magic weapon in the group! (against incorporeal creatures, nonetheless)

Shock them all!
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    You Are A:

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

It looks like nothing in either Paths of the Righteous or The First World is particularly applicable to the Magus, although there is now a feat that lets you treat the first level of any prestige class as "+1 level of spellcasting" (as long as the prestige class offers that on at least one higher level). That may open up some options.

17. - Top - End - #557

It looks like nothing in either Paths of the Righteous or The First World is particularly applicable to the Magus, although there is now a feat that lets you treat the first level of any prestige class as "+1 level of spellcasting" (as long as the prestige class offers that on at least one higher level). That may open up some options.
    I would disagree with this.

The Bladed Brush feat on page 15 of PotR lets you use spell combat and weapon finesse with a glaive, as well as allowing you to remove its reach if you want.

A dip into Brewkeeper lets you turn all your buffs into potions and then drink them quickly with Accelerated Drinker or Potion Glutton.

Also, one PrC from elsewhere that could be nice is a Diabolist dip. It's easy to enter, just requiring you to buy a scroll of Planar Binding. The first level makes you harder to raise or resurrect, but you get an Imp Animal Companion at your caster level.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2016-12-20 at 03:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    The Bladed Brush feat on page 15 of PotR lets you use spell combat and weapon finesse with a glaive
    Yeah, that was my first reading as well. But on second glance, spell combat doesn't just require a one-handed weapon, but also that you have your other hand free. And Bladed Brush doesn't help with that.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Re-reading the prestige classes from Path of the Righteous, it looks like Brewmaster is extremely good for a Magus. Not for drinking buff spells more quickly (because per the FAQ that doesn't work), but for the free Empower Spell several times per day, adding save-or-daze to any touch attack, and using your own caster level for potions you drink. Just watch your swift actions.

Stargazer is also a good pick, because you get a free familiar even with a one-level dip, and the prereqs are easy. You get one hex, which is particularly nice for the hexcrafter archetype (and by my reading, they stack). Also, you can get +4 on death saves, +10' to speed, and/or ignore the flatfooted condition. The domain/mystery/spirit abilities are unimpressive but hey, gift horse.

20. - Top - End - #560

Yeah, that was my first reading as well. But on second glance, spell combat doesn't just require a one-handed weapon, but also that you have your other hand free. And Bladed Brush doesn't help with that.
    Ah, it just says "as if you were not making attacks with your off-hand", not as if you had it free. My bad.

Re-reading the prestige classes from Path of the Righteous, it looks like Brewmaster is extremely good for a Magus. Not for drinking buff spells more quickly (because per the FAQ that doesn't work), but for the free Empower Spell several times per day, adding save-or-daze to any touch attack, and using your own caster level for potions you drink. Just watch your swift actions.
    The FAQ says that Accelerated Drinker doesn't work with extracts, but the Brewkeeper says "A draught functions as a potion or oil". So, Accelerated Drinker works just fine.

21. - Top - End - #561

If this doesn't get FAQed away (and let's face it, it probably won't), then Brewmaster + Accelerated Drinker is just incredibly strong for almost any spellcaster who casts spells on themselves. You can get up to three spells/round that way - standard-action cast, move-action drink, swift-action quickened cast. With just a single-level dip into a class that just requires worship, 5 useful skill points (alchemy) and a single feat.
    Even if it does get FAQed, it's still really good since it allows you to just have your allies buff themselves, vastly improving your action economy.

For the Magus it's not even that good, since it doesn't work with spell combat. And neither can you make use of the Blade and Tankard style (which would allow you to take a drink instead of an off-hand attack), since it requires two-weapon fighting.

And then there's the possible shenanigans from the "functions as a potion or oil" clause. Can you use a Bountiful Bottle with it to create free, permanent potions? Does it work with a Chalice of Communal Dweomer?
    Last edited by Serafina; 2016-12-20 at 06:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    And then there's the possible shenanigans from the "functions as a potion or oil" clause. Can you use a Bountiful Bottle with it to create free, permanent potions? Does it work with a Chalice of Communal Dweomer?
    It shouldn't work with Bountiful Bottle, because it only lasts 24 hours and the bottle takes a full 24 hours to work. You could use a Bountiful Bottle on a potion of Alchemical Allocation to replace Echoing spell though. I can't see why it wouldn't work with the chalice though. A high level alchemist could use this with eternal potion.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2016-12-20 at 06:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    the Brewkeeper says "A draught functions as a potion or oil"
    Ah, that's good. I was worried they had created yet another type of potion-like objects that don't count as potions.

Of course, the brewmaster is disallowed in PFS (because it has Brew Potion as a prereq) so that means they probably won't errata it. Yes, that makes it a very good prestige class, and since Paizo doesn't have a lot of those I welcome the addition. I'd say that it works fine with the Chalice (although the chalice explicitly requires a standard action) and that's a good combo; and that the bountiful bottle gives a potion with the exact same expiration limits as the original (meaning it's effectively a cheaper-but-slower Pearl of Power for the brewmaster).

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Added Brewkeeper and Stargazer prestige classes; Spell Spec, Varisian Tattoo, Moonlight Assault, Divine Fighting, and Bodyguard feats; Kitsune race; cutlass and starknife weapons; Sword Scion trait; Slippers of Scampering and Necklace of Stolen Breath items; Glibness and Gullibility spells. Also, the guide now indicates which spells ignore spell resistance, and which have no somatic component. Notably, Storm Step and Dimension Door can be cast while you're grappled.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Pixie in the Playground

raven's flight is also a spell without somatic component. It's useful in complicated terrain (especially in earlier levels), but can hardly do what fly or flight hex could.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Pixie in the Playground

Was wondering what you thought of the Souleater(drinker) Prestige class for a magus?

I'm not sure if the level drain ability would work through spellstrike, but it could be houseruled to.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aonar View Post
    I'm not sure if the level drain ability would work through spellstrike
    It doesn't, and neither does it work with spell combat. That makes it not such a good choice for the Magus; a more straightforward approach would be to use Spell Blending to add Enervation to your list.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Predictably, this month's release of the Healer's Handbook contains absolutely nothing for the Magus (who can be a lot of things, but is clearly not a healer). Paging through it I must say it's one of the least interesting player companion books I've seen from Paizo.

29. - Top - End - #569

Predictably, this month's release of the Healer's Handbook contains absolutely nothing for the Magus (who can be a lot of things, but is clearly not a healer). Paging through it I must say it's one of the least interesting player companion books I've seen from Paizo.
    The Alchemist-Archetype is actually pretty great - optimize it for reach (you just need it for touch-attacks, so some sorcerer bloodlines work well, though there's also other means) and you essentially got swift-action healing for anyone in a good radius. One that can even be used to deliver buffs.
    Paladins get one really great Mercy that grants fast-healing. Druids get to worship a deity and take one it's domains. (And also get utterly broken free potion crafting).

But overall, you're right - most of the stuff just doesn't address the main problem with healing, that which attempts to do so does so poorly, and generally most of the stuff is underwhelming.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

It doesn't, and neither does it work with spell combat. That makes it not such a good choice for the Magus; a more straightforward approach would be to use Spell Blending to add Enervation to your list.
    Late here, but if I understand correctly it could be used infinitely with a Conductive weapon, adding 1-4 negative levels and +5-20 temp HP to one hit/round without interfering with normal actions. It's probably still not worth it; you'd need to get enchantment the hard way unless you're a gnome and the rest of the souleater's features are pretty lackluster for you, but they are nice enough to reward crit-fishing.
    Last edited by Aldrakan; 2017-01-27 at 05:48 PM.