New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Darths and Droids V: Thread IV Was Eaten By Dogs

Random aside, but you know what could be a nice 50 comic? THX 1138. If only on a meta level because of the SW connection. Could even make a joke about the version of the film that was never been released (the 1971 version).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-08-21 at 09:18 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Convincing Boba that Han isn't the shapeshifter he is looking for would be easier if he weren't the person Boba is after.

But this is really a problem. How do you prove that you aren't a shapeshifter? Or if you are a shapeshifter that you are the friendly teammate shapeshifter and not the evil infiltrator shapeshifter?

Maybe that's why they visit the Sarlacc. It only eats shapeshifter and spits you out if you aren't one.

Han really has a interesting backstory. He killed and stole the identity of people since he killed an identity thief? Sure, it is very Jim, has more holes than swiss cheese and falls apart easier than a souflee if you poke to much but it would still make a great story to read.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic.

Convincing Boba that Han isn't the shapeshifter he is looking for would be easier if he weren't the person Boba is after.

But this is really a problem. How do you prove that you aren't a shapeshifter? Or if you are a shapeshifter that you are the friendly teammate shapeshifter and not the evil infiltrator shapeshifter?

Maybe that's why they visit the Sarlacc. It only eats shapeshifter and spits you out if you aren't one.

Han really has a interesting backstory. He killed and stole the identity of people since he killed an identity thief? Sure, it is very Jim, has more holes than swiss cheese and falls apart easier than a souflee if you poke to much but it would still make a great story to read.
    Eh the Republic/Empire is a thousands of years old government that is bloated and ineffective at best, I bet the Identity Thief's crime was lost in the shuffle of a galaxy's worth of paperwork.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Eh the Republic/Empire is a thousands of years old government that is bloated and ineffective at best, I bet the Identity Thief's crime was lost in the shuffle of a galaxy's worth of paperwork.
    Are you talking about Alberto or about the nameless man we know as Han, Greedo, Freddo and Alberto?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Are you talking about Alberto or about the nameless man we know as Han, Greedo, Freddo and Alberto?
    Both are quite possible to be lost, you figure..A trillion Trillion inhabitants..if..

1% of crimes go unsolved HanFredGreberto could probably spend his entire life committing crime and not match the amount that get lost in the shuffle in a year.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Well, this could explain why Han will attack Lando, it's a attempt to avoid arrest.

Chewbacca's comment is great and very true. I mean the things Han has said and done in the last few minutes alone should be enough to convince anyone of the truth of Chewie's words.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Jabba and his court are really starting to remind me of Hedonismbot.

"Surgery? In an opera? And just when I was beginning to lose interest. Jambé! The chocolate icing!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Valorum" totally would fit in too if he wasn't dead.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Using the Sarlaac to slice the heroes up sounds needlessly complicated.
    And it - everything about this operation - goes against several points of the list. Maybe Jabba should read it.
    I mean cut them to pieces and be done with it. That was the whole point of this, wasn't it? Slice Han to pieces, let Bubu pick up this organ he wants and sell sliced Solo. But no, it has to be fancy. I will eat my hat if that ends well.

10. - Top - End - #130

Better pick your condiments then, because it will end well. For us.

Not my fault you failed to be specific. Guten Appetit!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I would say that since I proposed the challenge I get to say when the conditions are met.

And if not I'm going to define hat as anything that is worn on the head and just balance some food there before eating it. Since I was wearing it on my head it is my hat.

12. - Top - End - #132

Works for the Jagers.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And it - everything about this operation - goes against several points of the list. Maybe Jabba should read it.
    I mean cut them to pieces and be done with it. That was the whole point of this, wasn't it? Slice Han to pieces, let Bubu pick up this organ he wants and sell sliced Solo. But no, it has to be fancy. I will eat my hat if that ends well.
    There are some types of villains that would not want to be villains at all if they had to follow the evil overlord list (though few of which are ambitious enough to even want to be an overlord. So, really, why should they have to follow the list?). Hedonist villains, such as Jaba, are one such type.

Really you might as tell Marvel villain Arcade not to put people through elaborate death traps (which is the only thing he is interested in doing.)
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-08-31 at 03:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Hey, a new episode of "Jim explains". And he isn't that far off this time.

I agree with Leia, this sounds very familar. But seriously? Using a Jedi as your test subject? It's almost as if Jabba wants this to go wrong.

15. - Top - End - #135

Well, that is how the last arc ended, if you recall. Just with Jim and Corey switching roles.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

new comic.

...I'm not saying the GM should have know better, but gid he really expect his geniuses not to run straight into every single one of those traps? When was the last time they didn't do that?

I mean there is expecting the players to be clever and there is taking away all the easy solutions.

At least he is still better at this than Pete.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

new comic.

...I'm not saying the GM should have know better, but gid he really expect his geniuses not to run straight into every single one of those traps? When was the last time they didn't do that?

I mean there is expecting the players to be clever and there is taking away all the easy solutions.

I'm actually not sure how serious the GM is. I mean, yeah, it's hard to predict your players () but in this case I can't say for sure if he just did the most obvious things anyone would do or countered what he expected his players to do.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm actually not sure how serious the GM is. I mean, yeah, it's hard to predict your players () but in this case I can't say for sure if he just did the most obvious things anyone would do or countered what he expected his players to do.
    I think he just did what he had to to prevent this from becoming to easy. The pig costumes that block R2's supercharged shockprobe was reasonable, the mindtrick immunity as well. I'm not sure about the laserproof Rancor, it seemed unnecessary - shouldn't the DM know that Luke has no lightsaber?, on the other hand it makes sense since lightsabers are basically instant-kill weapons unless the target can counter it. The pit trap? That was just plain unfair. Adding a rake would have been even worse.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Colossus in the Playground

I think the problem is the dm expected them to have a fallback plan to work with. Instead he got, "Plan A failed? Well we lost." Hell, even the pit trap should have failed, didnt luke do some insane force leap towards the end of the second movie to avoid carbonite freezing? The real issue is that its easy for the dm to think of all the ways a person COULD solve a problem. He is the one designing it so he knows all its strengths and weaknesses. Its like setting up a puzzle trap. Yeah YOU know there are three clues in the dungeon that will solve this issue with ease. But that relies on the players finding the clues and understanding them if they are more complicated then,

1) Red means dead.
    2) Green means go.
    3) Yellow means yikes, its a monster attack!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Basically all the GM did is counter their expected instant-win buttons and force them to get creative.

How he expected his players getting creative to not end in disaster I have no idea.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-09-03 at 09:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

21. - Top - End - #141
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

And they have apparently subverted our expectations once again by simply ignoring Leia's outfit altogether.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    And they have apparently subverted our expectations once again by simply ignoring Leia's outfit altogether.
    Wasn’t there something when Luke arrived? Something about Leia being dressed like a slave? The resulting dialogue was something along the lines of „Like Shmi, head to toe in rags?” „Yes, let's go with that.”

23. - Top - End - #143
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wasn’t there something when Luke arrived? Something about Leia being dressed like a slave? The resulting dialogue was something along the lines of „Like Shmi, head to toe in rags?” „Yes, let's go with that.”
    Right, I forgot.

http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1228.html

24. - Top - End - #144
    Bugbear in the Playground

new comic.

The guards are insulated against electric shocks, but are not immune to lasers or Jedi trickery.

Jabba is immune to Jedi trickery, but not immune to electric shocks or lasers.

The rancor is immune to lasers, but not electric shocks or Jedi trickery. (And this one is intelligent enough that mind tricks should work on it.) It only gets fought if you fall into a pit trap, and had a handy stabbing gate to drop on its head.

The pit trap is a pit trap. Make or fail the spot check.

The treasure chest (Han) was trapped. The treasure chest is always trapped.

Every obstacle encountered by the party could have been easily defeated by any other member of the party. But they violated rule 1: Don't Split the Party! So they each got as far as the one obstacle they couldn't beat on their own and got trapped. Jabba has just announced that he plans on putting the party back together. Cue fight scene!
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Jabba and his court are really starting to remind me of Hedonismbot.

"Surgery? In an opera? And just when I was beginning to lose interest. Jambé! The chocolate icing!"
    That's brilliant, and I am now reading Jabba in Hedonismbot's voice
    I would say that since I proposed the challenge I get to say when the conditions are met.
    No.

Since you proposed the challenge, you get to lay out (at the start of the challenge) what conditions need to be met in order for a success or failure to be called. However, the conditions themselves being met must be able to be objectively called by anyone; else you would simply be able to say, "I will never eat my hat, for I will never judge the conditions to be met." Not that you would, I don't think, but you could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    The guards are insulated against electric shocks, but are not immune to lasers or Jedi trickery.

Jabba is immune to Jedi trickery, but not immune to electric shocks or lasers.

The rancor is immune to lasers, but not electric shocks or Jedi trickery. (And this one is intelligent enough that mind tricks should work on it.) It only gets fought if you fall into a pit trap, and had a handy stabbing gate to drop on its head.
    Every obstacle encountered by the party could have been easily defeated by any other member of the party.
    That, too, is quite brilliant.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #146

Yeah, it really shows both the value of teamwork and (consequently) the stupidity of the gaming trope that you're a random collection of mugs who just happened to get a drink at the same place at the same time.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No.

Since you proposed the challenge, you get to lay out (at the start of the challenge) what conditions need to be met in order for a success or failure to be called. However, the conditions themselves being met must be able to be objectively called by anyone; else you would simply be able to say, "I will never eat my hat, for I will never judge the conditions to be met." Not that you would, I don't think, but you could.
    Considering my reply was aimed at some comment that I didn't made clear for whom it won't end well, when the context of the initial challenge:

makes it pretty clear that I was talking about Jabba and friends I'm not entirely wrong when I say I get a say to when the condition is met.

And even if not the Pizzahat is still a option. I think you are taking me to serious.

Aunt Edith says: new comic.

Are we sure that Jim only shuts his brain down while gaming? Unless he does it the moment he sits down. Anyway, things seem to look well foor Annie, and Jim and she are still happy together.
    Poor Corey, "get a room" doesn't really work when the persons you mean aren't in the same room. And Sally learns engineering now? Is that a new information?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-09-06 at 05:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

New Comic:

The screencap of Luke for the "Get a Room" line was absolutely perfect.

==

Side note: David Morgan-Mar apparently has a Patreon up and running, and has for a while now. Who knew? Stricktly not D&D releated, but by extension I think every little bit helps.

Just thought I should mention it as I just found out about it this morning.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-09-06 at 03:21 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Considering my reply was aimed at some comment that I didn't made clear for whom it won't end well, when the context of the initial challenge:

makes it pretty clear that I was talking about Jabba and friends I'm not entirely wrong when I say I get a say to when the condition is met.

And even if not the Pizzahat is still a option.
    I agree that the intent was clearly that it will not end well for Jabba, but i stand by my claim that the end condition must be able to be objectively called and cannot rely solely on the person who is participatingin the challenge.

And i think the fact that i agree that Puzzahat is a perfectly acceptable outcome means i am not taking this too seriously at all, good sir!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #150

Personally, I'd recommend a pirogi, but to each their own.