New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Watch Star Trek the original series

So I’ve decided to fire up the dvd player and pop in Star Trek the original series. I plan to watch this all the way through, and give some commentary along the way. It’s a daunting task but I think I can manage it. I plan on at least one episode a day. Although I can’t guarantee I’ll manage that. I don’t think I’ve ever watched the show in its entirety so it should be interesting. This is the remastered version which I don’t mind because it looks so darn good (they matched the CGI effects with the original analog effects so it’s not as glaringly obvious.). I already know there are certain aspects about this show that are going to irk me. So lets hope I can keep my sanity. if I break, please send the nice people in the gleaming white coats.

Now let’s Boldly go.

Spoiler: Pilot episode: The Cage
    Show

We open on the bridge of the USS Enterprise, under the command of one Captain Christopher Pike. They pick up a radio distress signal from the SS Columbia which disappeared 18 years ago. The Captain orders the ship to ignore the distress signal until they can finish their mission to the Vega Colony.

Pike leaves the bridge and we meet the ship’s doctor, who is not Bones. They have a martini together and we learn a bit more about Captain Pike and what makes him tick. Apparently the doc is named Phil, no last name, just Phil. Captain Pike is thinking of retiring, on taking his life down a different course. Doc Phil basically tells him that he’s being stupid and he couldn’t be anything other than a star ship Captain. Spock interrupts them and tells them that they’ve received a follow up message from Talos IV. Pike has no option but to go and commence a rescue operation, regulations being what they are. We’re treated to a very trippy scene of them going into warp. Pike then turns around and runs right into his new Yeoman, who is a pretty redhead. He’s put off by her being on the bridge, as he’s not used to having a woman on the bridge despite the presence of the enigmatic No. 1.

They arrive at Talos IV, gear up and beam down. They wonder around, enjoying the alien planet before meeting the survivors. It looks like they’re doing surprisingly well for themselves despite their desperate situation. We get to meet Vina who will be our love interest for the episode.
    We then switch to the perspective of large brained aliens. These I recall are the talosians. They’re watching the goings on. The survivors explain why they are in such good shape, some secret that Vina takes the Captain to see for himself. Everyone disappears and the Talosians pop out of the wall and hit Pike with some knockout gas. They drag him into their elevator and disappear, but the rest of the landing party arrives just in time to see the captain napping happen. They try to blast the door but fail. Spock comms in and tells No. 1 what happened.

Next Pike awakes in some sort of prison, a zoo, a Menagerie if you will. He meets the Talosians and they come off as really arrogant. We also learn that they are telepathic; they can create illusions and whatnot. Basically super powerful aliens.

With No 1 in command they decide to try figure out how to blast their way in so they can rescue Captain Pike. The Talosians are having their way with him… mentally speaking and start creating illusions in his mind. Using his own memories; the first he is forced to protect Vina from a giant… Mongol? Ok yeah, early trek really reached for its aliens. Vina tells him that unless he fights he will feel everything. He fights the alien Mongol guy and manages to defeat him, with a thrown short sword into his kidney (at least that's where it'd be on a human), and then a... Pike... har har... through the body.

With the defeat of the alien Mongol, Pike and Vina are brought back to his cell. They have a discussion and Pike wonders what they’re up to. He then decides to try to resist. Meanwhile the crew of the enterprise tries to blast the mountain away so they can rescue the Captain. But to no avail. Apparently those doors are tough. As they nearly blow out the ship board phaser they brought down.

Pike gets Vina to tell him about the Talosians and what they can and can’t do and why they came to live below the surface etc. but they punish her for revealing their secrets and remove her from the cage. Pike then proceeds to examine his cage more, looking for a way out. He finds one, thanks to food brought to him via a secret door. He challenges the lead Talosians and is punished by making him feel like he’s burning. Pike figures out how to block the talosian’s brain scans on his own.

Soon he’s put into an illusion of being on a picnic with Vina. Pike has a bit of an epiphany about life. Vina wants to keep up the illusion that they are stuck in. But Pike continues to probe her (keep your mind out of the gutter) for information. through their discussion the talosians discover that they need to throw things at Pike that he hasn’t gone through and they make him an Orion trader, and we get the famous Orion slave girl dance scene.

Next we see Spock and an away team prepare to beam down into the Talosian community. when they step onto the transporter, only the women are beamed down. they are No.1 and the Yeoman. Vina is not happy about it. Pike tries to fill his mind with rage and hate. The two new women manage to figure out what they want quickly. The Talosian explains to him what they want and then punish him for trying to resist them.

Back on the enterprise, they have a massive systems wide failure, as the talosians decide to keep them in orbit.

The Captain and crew are trying to sleep. But the Talosians try to sneak in and take their phasers. But Pike grabs him and chokes him. The talosian threatens to destroy the enterprise if he doesn’t let them go. Pike figures out that the phasers work and that he has blown a hole in the cage. They make the talosian lead them out and we find that the larger phaser has blown the top of the hill off.

They learn that the talosians wish them to repopulate the planet and create a slave labor force. No. 1 sets her phaser to overload and threatens to destroy them all. However the talosians learn that Humans will not allow themselves to be captives and decide to let them go.

Pike tries to convince them that they can help them in a mutually cooperative way. But they will not allow that, realizing that humanity would destroy itself with the power they would attain working with the talosians. They send the two women back to the ship and remove the illusion surrounding Vina, showing her true appearance as an old, scarred and misshapen human. A truly sad fate for Vina. They do this to show Pike her decision to stay is honest and then create an illusionary Pike for her to enjoy.

They send Pike back and the Yeoman asks who would have been Eve, and Pike doesn’t answer. They leave orbit and Roll credits.

Fist fights: 1
    Alien space babes: 1
    God like beings: 1
    Engine trouble:1
    Redshirts killed: 0

As pilot episodes go this one isn’t too bad. It keeps your interest. However most of the focus is on Captain Pike, so none of the other characters get any real development besides Vina, and since she chose to stay on Talos, we won’t be seeing her again.

And that’s probably the biggest flaw in this episode, there is virtually now character development for anyone other than Pike. His acting is fine, in fact, is pretty good. Except for Spock, the crew are total strangers and I know nothing about these people other than what’s been force fed to be my the Talosians and that doesn’t come till near the end of the episode. Naturally this isn’t a very good way of showing me what these characters are like. I can see why they decided to rework the cast before this could possibly make them money.

All and all I’ll give this one a 3.5 out of 5 phasers. not a great start, but not terrible.

Next episode: Where No Man has Gone Before
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-07-09 at 08:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Watch Star Trek the original series

There is a reason that the network asked for a second pilot. Did watching this one make you want to watch a series based around these characters?

IF your answer is no, then you are on the right track.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

See also: Planet of Hats Webcomic, although that doesn't have the first pilot as one of the episodes, and I don't know that I ever saw it in its original form outside of The Menagerie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

This one is definitely pretty weird what with having an almost completely different cast in it. Didn't they end up eventually quasi-retconning and deciding that Pike was the captain like years and years before Kirk was?

Love the tallies of common occurrences, btw. You gonna do a running total overall or just the one for each episode? Because if the former, "godlike beings" is gonna be off the flipping charts, if I recall correctly.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    This one is definitely pretty weird what with having an almost completely different cast in it. Didn't they end up eventually quasi-retconning and deciding that Pike was the captain like years and years before Kirk was?

Love the tallies of common occurrences, btw. You gonna do a running total overall or just the one for each episode? Because if the former, "godlike beings" is gonna be off the flipping charts, if I recall correctly.
    oh its totally a running tally. yeah they did do one called "the menagerie" which is the condensed version of "the cage". and has to do with Pike sometime after the events of the cage. the poor guy is suck in a wheelchair and using three lights to communicate. sucks to be him.

I'm also only going to keep track of fist fights Kirk is directly involved in. its not that it's easier, its just that i think it's more appropriate, instead of counting every little fist that gets thrown.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-07-10 at 12:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Didn't they end up eventually quasi-retconning and deciding that Pike was the captain like years and years before Kirk was?
    I don't think that was even a quasi-retcon--it was never stated or even implied that Kirk was the first captain of the Enterprise prior to "The Menagerie" being broadcast, as far as I recall.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I'm genuinely surprised none of the Red Shirts were killed in the abandoned pilot, it seemed like such a perfect scenario for the god-like telepaths to prove they're super-serious/evil.

My main disappointment is they dropped the idea of a female first officer... though that's tempered by the fact that I kind of cringe at the potential abuse her character would take with the writing at this time. I mean, just look at The Menagerie for starters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

As I remember hearing it the Network throw a fit at the idea of a female first officer but were equally unhappy about having an alien officer (Spock) and basically the best Rodenberry could get was he was allowed to keep one one or the other
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    As I remember hearing it the Network throw a fit at the idea of a female first officer but were equally unhappy about having an alien officer (Spock) and basically the best Rodenberry could get was he was allowed to keep one one or the other
    Well, maybe it's for the best. Lest he condense the two ideas to make a female Vulcan science/first officer or something, and who'd want to see that?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Well, maybe it's for the best. Lest he condense the two ideas to make a female Vulcan science/first officer or something, and who'd want to see that?
    At least in Enterprise *everyone* runs around in their underwear fairy often.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    At least in Enterprise *everyone* runs around in their underwear fairy often.
    It's not like TOS had a lack of semi-nudity by both genders.

Not quite in CW territory... but close.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    oh its totally a running tally.
    This has utterly sold me on following this Let's Watch.

Not that I wouldn't, because I still have a fondness for the original Trek series, but that's like icing a cake with more cake.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think that was even a quasi-retcon--it was never stated or even implied that Kirk was the first captain of the Enterprise prior to "The Menagerie" being broadcast, as far as I recall.
    I meant more like... if they hadn't done "The Menagerie" it would've seemed like Pike et al were just swept down the memory hole and never existed anyway. So I guess I shoulda said "un-retconned" or something.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice to see there's alot of interest.

I'll get the next episode up this afternoon.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    That is true so far as it goes, but it's also the sanitized Roddenberry spin on the story. The network side of the story is that yes, they were very uncertain about the woman first officer, but only partly because of the idea that 60's audiences would reject it. The other part was that 1) they were deeply unsure about Majel Barrett's acting ability (she seemed a bit aloof but serviceable in The Cage IMO), and 2) they were extra deeply unhappy with the fact that Barrett at the time was a married actress engaged in an affair with Roddenberry. This was something that everyone associated with the show knew about.

And that when you think about it is actually a pretty decent rationale for putting your foot down. Not only is there the fact that 60's audiences would reject a show once that became common knowledge, but you've got to worry what will happen to the show if Roddenberry's relationship with Barrett hits the rocks. I mean, obviously it didn't, but no one knew that at the time. Roddenberry was a notorious skirt chaser, and it's hardly implausible that Barrett would break up with him once his eye started wandering again.

As for the show itself, when I first saw this episode, I was about 12 and absolutely down the rabbit hole on Trek lore. So I saw it as a masterpiece. Today . . . I think it's definitely serviceable, with a lot of potential. Pike is a very intriguing character from the get-go. If he's not as obviously strong as Kirk, he's nevertheless well-developed in a way that I do not think was common in this era. What is more, he does seem to have a few relationships that will allow the other characters to be fleshed out, like the doctor. Spock is obviously still being fleshed out, as he offers a genuine smile at the foliage that we will see from him in the series only once more, and that's when he finds out that he didn't kill Kirk. But there's also very little in the way of action, and the Talosians' mastery of illusions make it a chess game where I can understand the producer's desire to pit the crew against a more physical menace.

All in all, I could see a set of directors adopting this pitch, but I entirely understand their decision not to. And I can certainly see why the more action-oriented "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was picked up as a second pilot.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that a 60s era audience would accept a female second in command. But the character would need to have a very strong personality and be played by someone that can totally own that role and make it convincing that she is skilled enough and commands enough respect to be in that position. I don’t think they would accept a female Captain though; that’s probably pushing their luck.

The problem is finding an actress that can pull that off. Considering the low budget of the show, it’d be hard to draw an actress of that caliber to the role.

The most interesting thing is the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic.

Spock and McCoy have two totally different approaches. Spock is logical and detached, while McCoy is emotional and caring; while Kirk being in the middle, balances them out; being both logical and emotional in the process. Even the way they stand and talk reflects this, with Kirk in-between Spock and McCoy, physically separating them. it’s almost as if Spock and McCoy are taking the role of two different sides of a personality almost like the little angel and the little devil on the shoulders. Only neither is good or evil, just vs emotional vs logical. It even plays into their roles onboard the ship, Spock is the science officer, a job that require cold indifference. While McCoy is a doctor, a job that requires warmth and empathy for those under his care.

it's unlike anything we've seen since in star trek and honestly I think it's something later shows are missing. this is something that i distinctly remember from the show, and I will probably make comment on it as we progress.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-07-10 at 02:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

In Germany we had Space Patrol Orion, which aired just 9 days after the first episode of Star Trek. It only got a seven episode season, as it turned out to be hugely expensive even though it was shot in black and white, which made it pretty much impossible to export. But it was very well recieved.
    It had two female officers (one of them security) on the ship and also a woman as Chief of the space navy. And I don't think Germany was any more progressive than America at the time. Probably even less.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    In Germany we had Space Patrol Orion, which aired just 9 days after the first episode of Star Trek. It only got a seven episode season, as it turned out to be hugely expensive even though it was shot in black and white, which made it pretty much impossible to export. But it was very well recieved.
    It had two female officers (one of them security) on the ship and also a woman as Chief of the space navy. And I don't think Germany was any more progressive than America at the time. Probably even less.
    Raumpatrouille Orion? I think I watched an rerun of that. Or at least a documentary about it. Could have been both. It's not bad, but if I recall correctly large parts of the ship and the effects were made with household tools. The funny thing is that they made this look awesome. Even compared to some modern stuff. If you have a chance to watch this do so.

I don't think I ever got to watch the Star Trek Pilot. It doesn't soud like I missed that much. All that stuff happened often enough during the series.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The most interesting thing is the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic.
    A.k.a the Holy Trinity of TOS. You could also consider them opposing lawyers arguing their cases before the judge. I think the trick there is that they could all disagree without it being so much a conflict between the characters. Kirk isn't (usually) trying to stop them from fighting, and they're not exactly trying to "win", just present their cases. Then Kirk splits the difference and tumbles another civilization.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Something bizarre I noticed. These first half dozen episodes have names that sound vaguely like innuendos. Maybe I just have a dirty mind I dunno.

Spoiler: Second Pilot episode: Where No Man has Gone Before
    Show

This episode begins with Kirk giving a log. They are picking up a distress signal from beyond the galaxy. We then see Kirk and Spock playing 3D chess. Kirk seems particularly arrogant (even for Kirk) while playing chess with Spock. They find a ship’s black box floating out in space, before they do anything the thing starts transmitting.

Roll opening credits.

Spock, Kirk and the Helmsman Garry Mitchell enter a turbo lift and go to the bridge. The come to a stop and Kirk gives a speech to the crew. All department heads come to the bridge and we meet the ships doctor, again not Dr. McCoy. Scotty as the chief engineer, and Sulu as a physicist? Also I notice that Uhura is not on the bridge either.

Spock learns from the Black box is from the SS Valiant, and that they needed information on ESP (extra sensory perception). We learn that the ships psychiatrist has a high ESP rating. Her name is Dr. Dehner. She tells us what ESP is. Spock says that the Valiant self destructed.

They leave the galaxy at the snail’s pace of warp factor one. They then encounter some sort of barrier. Heading into it causes damage to the ship. They’re then hit by something like lightening and nine of the crew are killed and several injured, including the good Dr. Dehner and Helmsman Mitchell. They pull out of the barrier and head back into the galaxy. The ship’s main engines are burnt out .we also learn that the only people hurt have ESP potential.

The immediately suspect that something is up with the ESP potentials on the ship although they don’t know what yet. We then see Mitchell in sickbay, his eyes are all different. Kirk and Mitchell are old friends and they have some reminiscing of old times. When Kirk leaves Mitchell manages to amplify his voice and then starts speed reading.

They all suspect that Mitchell’s ESP rating has skyrocketed and that is going to be bad. Mitchell and Dr. Dehner talk a bit and Mitchell learns he can manipulate his own physiology. It’s clear that something weird is going on. He can even recall exactly what he was speed reading on any page. It’s also clear that he’s got feelings for her. He also learns that he can see into people’s mind.

They have a briefing and Spock says that he’s they may need to deal with Mr. Mitchell before he gets too powerful to control. Scotty reports that he has been able to manipulate the controls of the ship from sickbay. Indicating he’s also become a telekinetic. Sulu says his power is growing geometrically. Dr. Dehner tries to convince them that he is not dangerous. Spock disagrees.

They decide that the best course of action is to maroon Mitchell on a planet called Delta Vega. While there they can also repair their ship. Kirk and Mitchell have another conversation and we learn that he is beginning to feel powerful. It’s clear it’s going to his head. He zaps them and says he doesn’t want to leave the ship yet, not until he finds a better planet to use. They get the drop on him and beam down to Delta Vega.

Once there, they lock him in a brig and then begin repair work on the enterprise. Mitchell tries to get through the force field and they learn that it drained his strength a little. Scotty gets the ship up and running and spock gets a phaser rifle.

Everyone leaves except for Kirk, Mitchell, Dr. Dehner, Spock the doctor (this guy is named Dr. Mark Piper), and Lt. Kelso. Mitchell kills Kelso with his telekinetics and a piece of cable. Then he zaps Kirk and Spock and turns off the force field. Dr. Dehner also changes into the same thing as Mitchell and they go off together. The doc finds spock and Kirk and gets them back on their feet. Kirk says they need to bombard the planet with neutron radiation and then leaves to deal with Mitchell.

Meanwhile we see some more displays of power, Mitchell creates a garden out of thin air. Kirk tries to get the drop on them but to no avail. Mitchell sends Dehner to go and see how small humans have become to them. but it doesn’t quite work, she still has compassion for others. Kirk gives a good speech about humanity and we aren’t ready to this sort of power. Dehner zaps Mitchell, but also gets zapped for her trouble. Kirk and Mitchell fight. And he manages to use the phaser rifle to topple a mountain on him killing Mitchell. Dr. Dehner dies shortly thereafter.

Kirk beams up to the enterprise and they leave orbit. Kirk feels sad for the loss of his friend, and Spock reveals that he felt for Mitchell as well. roll end credits.

Fist fights: 2
    Space babes: 1
    God like beings: 3
    Engine trouble:2
    Redshirts killed: 9
    Total body count: 11

The second pilot episode. This one is much better, we see about half of the faces we would come to know as the principle cast, Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and Sulu. We’re missing Bones, Uhura, Chekov, Nurse Chapel (even though we saw Majel Barrett as No. 1 in the cage) and yeoman Rand. For starters I’m glad they ditched those awful gold uniforms. This shows us what a normal person would do with phenomenal cosmic powers, and beats us over the head with the idea that we’re not ready for it. Something that The Cage didn’t quit do. Although it did mention it. This one is much better, characters get a chance to be defined and there’s a lot of time devoted to Kirk and Mitchell; you do sort of get the feeling that they are old friends.

They started this pilot off big with heading out past the edge of the galaxy and then quickly limping back; which is an odd choice but I guess it helps establish that this is our galaxy. I guess the great barrier from Star trek V isn't a new idea after all (albeit still stupid). The development of Mitchell’s powers is interesting and you can see his growing confidence and ambition as he experiments with his power. It’s all quite well done and a bit gripping.

Something else, I noticed, this one is labeled as episode 3, so when we get to episode 3, we'll skip it and go to episode 4. I guess they aired them out of order or something. it's weird.

I give this one 4 out of 5 trippy contact lenses.

Next Episode: The Man Trap
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-07-10 at 11:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    IF your answer is no, then you are on the right track.
    More like on the right TREK!

HA! HA! HA!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But yeah, the original series is great. That's some classic sci-fi. If I recall correctly, I believe like half the cast also appeared on the Twilight Zone.

22. - Top - End - #22

On the Kirk/McCoy/Spock ego/id/superego thing: I love Dr. McCoy. There's some episode where they're for some reason visiting a psychiatric prison or something and Kirk goes on about how it's all humane and enlightened now, but McCoy says, "If you've seen one cage, you've seen them all" and 12 year old me loved so much that older-than-that me loves him still.

On Where No Man Has Gone Before episode recap: Sulu is a physicist?! I mean, I know they basically retconned him into the helmsman or navigator or whatever he is most of the time, but man, that'd make him even more awesome. Also it'd be awesomely ridiculous; "What can we do with a physisicist?" "I don't know, maybe he could drive the ship."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

Wow, the second pilot has a significant body count. I had forgotten that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Wizard View Post
    More like on the right TREK!
    Stay forever.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: S1E1: the Man trap
    Show

This episode begins with the Enterprise orbiting the planet M113. Spock is in the captain’s chair and Uhura is at the navigator’s control, great a woman giving directions… (I kid, I kid). Kirk, McCoy and a red shirt, beam down to the planet to harass, err give a routine medical evaluation to the two archeologists on the planet. One Professor Robert Crater and his wife Nancy. Apparently Nancy and Bones were once in a previous relationship.

They head to their abode but nobody is home. Nancy walks in and we see that she hasn’t aged a day; according to Bones but Kirk sees an older woman. While crewman Darnell (the redshirt) sees an entirely different woman. Apparently she looks like someone he left on Ridgley’s Pleasure planet (sounds kinky). Something weird is already afoot. Aww cute, Bones has a pet name… plum.

She steps outside and immediately starts to seduce the poor (soon to be dead methinks) crewman.

Roll opening credits.

Professor Crater appears and he’s a crotchety as any reclusive scientist worth his salt ought to be. Speaking of salt, he request salt since it somehow helps against the heat. The good scientist seems slightly off put that Nancy already saw them. Bones starts his examination and suddenly we hear a woman scream.

Naturally everyone runs to investigate and we find the redshirt dead with some strange markings on his face. With some obvious leading from the professor, Nancy tells them that she found the crewman eating a poisonous plant and that’s what killed him. She’s in tears and everything. Bones and Kirk beam up and Nancy asks again about the salt just before they leave.

On the bridge Uhura and Spock are having a conversation. They radio to Spock about the away team and Uhura is upset that Spock is not showing any signs of concern. They study the effects of the plant’s poison and learn that the strange markings on the redshirt’s face were not caused from the effects of the poison; in fact, there is no trace of poison in his body. Bones doesn’t know what killed him but he is now on a quest to find out.

They find out that everything with professor Crater and his wife checks out and then Bones calls to the bridge he’s found something. Or more accurately he hasn’t found something… salt. The body has no salt in it. Now they have questions for the doctor and his wife.

They beam down and start grilling the good professor. Apparently mysteries give Kirk a belly ache. Kirk asks them to go to the enterprise for their protection. The doc sneaks out while their backs are turned and he finds another dead redshirt. Nancy has apparently killed both the redshirts that beamed down with Kirk and bones. They find the first body and then Nancy takes the form of the second redshirt.

They beam up Nancy, now disguised as the second dead crewman. Once on the enterprise, Nancy begins to follow Yeoman Rand around. She has a tray of food and some salt. We get a wonderful line from her “go chase an asteroid” haha. Meanwhile Spock can’t find the missing Craters. Yeoman Rand goes into the botany section and Sulu is there feeding plants. Apparently the food’s for him. Oh wow those effects on Bogart, the plant are so obvious now. It’s just a hand puppet. Oh well, it was the 60s. Nancy is stalking the ship in search of Salt; eventually finding his way into the botany department with Sulu and Rand. Bogart, the plant puppet goes ballistic and drives Nancy away.

Nancy then comes across Lieutenant Uhura ,Nancy changes appearances and tries to seduce her. They talk in Swahili (I wonder if that’s actually Swahili, if it is then color me impressed). She is called back to the bridge and escapes possible death. Nancy comes across Bones’s quarters, she changes back to her Nancy appearance and gets him to take a sleeping pill. Meanwhile Sulu and Rand come across another body. Killed by Nancy.

Nancy takes on the appearance of McCoy while Kirk and Spock beam back down to take Professor Crater up to the ship. Rand and Sulu notify Kirk and he orders general quarters. Kirk and Spock set off to capture the professor. Meanwhile Nancy in the guise of McCoy, helps out in tracking down the monster that’s killing the crew.

Kirk and Spock stun the professor and he gives them the lowdown on what’s been going on. they head back to the ship and begin the search for the intruder. Nancy, in the form as McCoy, and professor Crater try to convince them that this monster is harmless as long as it’s fed. Kirk questions Crater’s motives; and is unable to convince him to help them. Spock and Nancy take Crater down to pump him with information using truth serum. Nancy knocks spock out and kills Crater (so much for love) and hey, they got his blood right properly green. Apparently Nancy couldn’t suck the salt out of spock (does he even have any?). They find Nancy in McCoy’s quarters, trying to get him to protect her.

Kirk bursts in intent on killing Nancy. But McCoy is in the way. She clocks Spock again and goes to suck the salt out of kirk but McCoy shoots her after she reveals her true self.

They all feel remorse for exterminating the last of a dying race. But they leave orbit and we roll credits.

space babes: 1
    God like beings: 2
    Engine trouble:2
    Redshirts killed: 13
    Total body count: 17

Geze there were a lot of on screen deaths in this episode. Seriously counting the professor and Nancy there are six total corpses. Three of which die on the planet. The sad thing is that they didn’t have to kill her. I’m sure if they could have worked something out. Beam her down to the planet with a large supply of salt. But they decided not to reason with her.

In a way it makes sense, she did kill four of their people. But she was also trying to live, something all beings have a right to; however they know this thing is intelligent and can be reasoned with and is pretty docile when fed. They could have let her go but they don’t. They feel a little bit of remorse but not a whole lot. After all this thing did kill five people.

I was starting to feel some remorse for this thing. It’s only trying to survive and eat. But at the same time it’s killing people to survive. I would probably do the same thing in Kirk’s place

This one is pretty fantastic. I give it 5 out of 5 grains of salt.

Next episode: Charlie X

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Something else, I noticed, this one is labeled as episode 3, so when we get to episode 3, we'll skip it and go to episode 4. I guess they aired them out of order or something. it's weird.
    Production order and airing order were very disconnected in Star Trek; there's one red shirt in the 2nd season who if watched in airing order dies and then shows up in 2 more episodes (or was it shows up, dies, then shows up in another episode). And Chekov doesn't show till Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Wizard View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. But yeah, the original series is great. That's some classic sci-fi. If I recall correctly, I believe like half the cast also appeared on the Twilight Zone.
    I now feel compelled to try and find Twilight Zone episodes with Sulu, Spock, McCoy, and Scottie.

On Where No Man Has Gone Before episode recap: Sulu is a physicist?! I mean, I know they basically retconned him into the helmsman or navigator or whatever he is most of the time, but man, that'd make him even more awesome. Also it'd be awesomely ridiculous; "What can we do with a physisicist?" "I don't know, maybe he could drive the ship."
    Think about all the weird stuff they fly through, or the astrophysics needed to chart a course. You probably need to be a physicist to fly it properly.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Production order and airing order were very disconnected in Star Trek;
    My first suspicion would be that shows with more FX have a later airing date from more post-production.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I’ve decided to try to do two on Saturdays.

Spoiler: S1E2: Charlie X
    Show

The enterprise rendezvous with a cargo vessel called the Antares. They beam over a teen by the name of Charlie Evans, he’s been marooned on a desert planet since he was little. Captain Ramar, of the Antares and his navigator seem scared of him. Charlie gives them a mean look and they suddenly start praising his name. Charlie is a bit off putting, but then he has no real social skills, it’s not surprising. Something is off, the transport captain and crew aren’t willing to take on any entertainment even booze.

Charlie meets Yeoman Rand and he’s immediately smitten. Asking the most hilarious question ever “is that a girl?”. Buahah

Roll opening credits.

McCoy gives Charlie a physical and he checks out better than fine. Charlie says he wants people to like him. He starts wandering around the ship, observing people. He’s got his eye on yeoman Rand. He gives her a present, something she couldn’t get onboard the ship; I think it’s supposed to be perfume or something. She tells him to meet her in the reckroom and he slaps her ass like he saw two guys do (I hope that’s just the athletic butt slap). Janice clearly doesn’t like this and tells him not to do it. He asks why and she tells him to ask Kirk (oh gosh advice on the birds and the bees brought to you by Captain James T Kirk. This is going to be brilliant).

Back on the bridge they talk about mysterious aliens call Phasians, and Kirk pulls rank on bones and makes him give advice on the birds and the bees to Charlie. In the reckroom, Spock plays his lyre thingy and Uhura sings a song about Charlie. This doesn’t go over so well with Charlie who at first tries to get Janice’s attention but isn’t able to. So he removes Uhura’s voice; apparently temporarily. He then gets Yeoman Rand’s attention with some card tricks. It works and he really enjoys the attention.

Kirk mentions its Thanksgiving and that he wants the synthetic meatloaf to resemble turkey since they can’t have real turkey. Charlie comes in and tries to ask Kirk about the athletic butt slap; Kirk tries to explain it and fails fairly awkwardly. He’s interrupted by Uhura who informs him that the Antares is hailing them. But they lose contact. Spock finds the Antares and there’s nothing left but debris. Kirk seems to suspect Charlie but then the galley calls and says there are real turkeys in the ovens where there ought to be meatloaf.

In the reck-room, Kirk and Spock are playing 3D chess but Kirk’s mind doesn’t seem to be on the game. But he still manages to win. They let Charlie try his hand and he’s a sour loser. Charlie then melts all the chess pieces. He rushes out of the room and Yeoman Rand stops him in the corridor and introduces him to another yeoman, and he’s awful rude to her. Charlie explains that he’s basically in love with Yeoman Rand.

Janice goes to the captain and tries to get his help to get Charlie to break off his crush on Janice. He tries to talk to him about the birds and the bees again; this time with slightly better results. Charlie is trying to deal and he simply doesn’t know how. Kirk gets a bright idea and takes him to the gym to teach him some judo. And we get shirtless Kirk (maybe that should be a counter gag). Charlie isn’t terribly interested but he gives it a shot and Kirk brings him down fairly softly. Ooh Charlie does not like getting laughed at and he makes him disappear. Naturally Kirk is upset about it. Kirk confines him to quarters but Charlie resists, violently. But Kirk manages to convince him to go with the security people.

He then meets Spock and Bones in the briefing room and discuss what exactly Charlie is. They got a problem. They can’t take him to the colony where he’ll have to interact with normal people in a normal environment. Charlie enters and Kirk asks him if he was responsible for the destruction of the Antares and he fesses up to that. Back on the bridge, Charlie is taking control of the enterprise. He takes out the communications, and hurts Uhura in the possess; he keeps the ship from being able to change course and makes Mr. Spock spout poetry.

They’ve got a real problem… and he just turned the poor Yeoman into a newt. He’s a witch burn him. He then brings yeoman Rand a pink flower. Janice is not happy with him. She tried to let him down gently but that’s not happening. She pulls a quick one and turns on an intercom without him seeing. Spock and Kirk rush to her rescue. But he knocks them down and then Yeoman rand slaps him, good for her. But he makes her disappear.

They get him to go into the brig but he just makes the bulkhead disappear. Then he makes some woman old, removes someone’s face. Charlie is taking control of the ship. Kirk comes up with a plan. It works and then he throws Charlie out of his chair. Then the Phasians show up and take Charlie away.

Apparently they’re responsible for giving Charlie the power he has. They apologize, restore everything Charlie has done and take him away. Poor Charlie doesn’t want to go, he wants human contact but he can’t handle it; not with the powers he has. So they bring Charlie back to their ship and are off. Roll end credits.

space babes: 1
    God like beings: 4
    Engine trouble:3
    Redshirts killed: 14
    Total body count: 38

Yeah this one is filled with awkward moments; poor Charlie just wants to belong but he can’t because he doesn’t know how. He can’t not use his powers, after all they allow him to do what he wants. Much like that twilight zone episode with the little kid and the god like powers and the terror that he can cause.
    I like how they have made sacrifices for space travel. Synthetic meatloaf sounds awful; but it’s what they have to eat. I also like how the crew congregates in the rec-rooms for entertainment. It shows a little bit of camaraderie amongst the crew and that they have to live alongside each other as well.

Charlie is difficult to watch because of his awkwardness. But it makes perfect sense and I’m not blaming the actor for anything, in fact he goes a great job at being awkward. This one is low on action, but strong on psychology. but once again we're beaten over the head with the idea that we can't handle phenomenal cosmic power. I'm considering two more counters, one for transporter malfunctions and one for shirtless Kirks. what does the audience say?

I give it 3 out of 5 awkward puberty discussions
    Next episode: The Naked Time (i told you these were all laden with innuendo)
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-07-11 at 08:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you were to create a top 100 science fiction episodes listing, I think it's likely that Star Trek TOS would be both the most frequently-listed series in that list (only the Twilight Zone would really compete), and have the highest ratio of any series for the amount of episodes listed to amount of episodes produced. I wouldn't be surprised if 15 episodes of that list came just from TOS.

I mention that largely because I think each of these episodes shows in their own way why this turned out to be such a classic science fiction series: nobody, not even the most ardent TOS fan, would put either of these episodes on that list, but they are nevertheless strong dramatic episodes. Despite the fact that I'd be willing to bet a third of this series could be summarized as "Kirk and party are jerked around by vastly superior aliens", they nevertheless find so many different flavors and textures to make it happen. Plot-wise, "Charlie X" isn't terribly different from "Catspaw" or "The Squire of Gothos" or "Where No Man Has Gone Before", and that's just the ones I can remember offhand, but in each case, they make a good strong showing of personalizing the struggle and giving the characters something unique and interesting to bounce off of. Similarly, the Salt Vampire is an incredibly formulaic monster-of-the-week, and yet by the end we feel incredible pathos for its passing.

In short, episodes like these are important not because they are all-time greats, but because they help show that Trek earned its status as a classic series because a lot of it's best episodes are surrounded by strong, brick-and-mortar B+ episodes.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    My first suspicion would be that shows with more FX have a later airing date from more post-production.
    They tended to re-use a lot of SFX, though, so that's not a given. For instance, there's a particular scene of the ship orbiting a planet which is re-used many times throughout the series, but you can tell it's from the pilot episode because there are slight differences to the ship model used (mainly on the warp nacelles).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I'm considering two more counters, one for transporter malfunctions and one for shirtless Kirks. what does the audience say?
    Maybe one for every time Spock says 'fascinating'
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem