New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Best Good fictional queens?

I'd like to add St. Alessia from the Elder Scrolls series to the list.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    By that definition, then, I agree. Mab is clearly Lawful Neutral at best.
    I'd say that's even way to much of a stretch. She is Capital L Lawful, and lowercase e evil, but she is certainly lawful evil to the core.
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Mab has Blue-Orange morality not Black-White, her subjects are the fey not human, even if she is the darker aspect of the fey she is kinder when you see how volatile Titiania can be.

To try & get this thread back of track,

Queen Margery Tyrell is a pretty good Queen if you can count her
    Last edited by Anderlith; 2015-08-01 at 02:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming we are going with the less known Margaery from the books?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Speaking of WoT, both Morgase Trakand and her successor (spoilers) make for good queens if Andor.

And if Suian counts then so should her successor (spoilers).
    I disagree about the successor. She continually makes poor decisions, takes stupid risks, gets others killed and
    Spoiler
    Show
    her city burned to the ground
    through sheer stubborness or stupidity. That character went from one of my favorite in the series to my most hated. She basically only gets by as a "good" queen because the book tells you over and over that she is rather than any type of personal accomplishment.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Man has Blue-Orange morality not Black-White, her subjects are the fey not human, even if she is the darker aspect of the fey she is kinder when you see how volatile Titiania can be.

To try & get this thread back of track,

Queen Margery Tyrell is a pretty good Queen if you can count her
    We've seen Titania be horribly hurt because of the loss of her daughter while dealing with people who can be at least partially held responsible for that loss with some measure of legitimacy. Granted, the key word there is some, but a grieving mother who's lost a child isn't always gonna lash out at the perfect rational target. I have to think if Dresden had had the means and succeeded at stopping Aurora in Summer Knight with out actually killing her, and had survived himself (I know he was too far out of his depth at that point for that to happen but context.), Titania would be getting shown in a MUCH more favorable light.

Mab though? Badness and evil and horribleness are hardline coded into what she IS. Oh, sure, she can be more cerebral, she's not Stupid Evil, but decidedly Evil. (For example if she had 100% perfect assurance that letting the outsiders into reality wouldn't harm her and hers, I don't doubt for an instant she'd hesitate to either do it or to start blackmailing the other powers with doing it.).

She is, however, somewhat mercifully, Lawful first and Evil second, of of the two, lawful is the capital one.

As for Good queens, maybe the Elf Queen from the Inheritance series?

And does she have to not have a king to count for this discussion? Cause otherwise, Tamora Pierces books have some.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I thought of another, Shiro from No Game No Life - NEET and Queen of Elchea.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I'm assuming we are going with the less known Margaery from the books?
    Sorry I unusually post by my phone & I have to fight auto-correct. Yes I'm talking about the character who married Renly Baratheon, Joffrey Baratheon, & Tommen Baratheon. The book version not the drama show.

Though everyone in the series has ulterior motives, she was kind to the people & had a good head on her shoulders. She is savvy enough to maneuver politically without allowing her position to make her haughty. Her marriages, while made to position her to become Queen, have also been used to benefit the common folk.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Sorry I unusually post by my phone & I have to fight auto-correct. Yes I'm talking about the character who married Renly Baratheon, Joffrey Baratheon, & Tommen Baratheon. The book version not the drama show.

Though everyone in the series has ulterior motives, she was kind to the people & had a good head on her shoulders. She is savvy enough to maneuver politically without allowing her position to make her haughty. Her marriages, while made to position her to become Queen, have also been used to benefit the common folk.
    Sadly, married into the queenship, which places her outside of the rules that OP set. But, for the record, I consider her a much better queen than Dany could ever be.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Would it be cheeky of me to list Jackie Holmes?

I'm going to second The Valdemarian queens, I think ,and several interpretations of Guenevere, though their power is...debatable, granted.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Tamora Pierce's Tortall series had a couple of Good queens; Thayet did marry into it, but exerted political influence, and Dove was definitely queen in her own right.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    .. several interpretations of Guenevere, though their power is...debatable, granted.
    Examples for curiosity? I thought about that, but I couldn't honestly recall a version of her who actually seems to do any ruling, let alone effectively and benevolently. Even amidst all of the various power players in say, Mists of Avalon, politically she's naught but the religious extremist of Arthur's advisors.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dany is just a bad ruler.
    Yes, but
    Spoiler
    Show
    the whole point of her storyline is that she's developing the understanding and skills to BE a good ruler. The whole point of the last arc was that by chaining her dragons, she's allowing herself to bend to others' ideals rather than being the ruler that she wants to be. I think the series is going to end up very Dany-positive....but she has a lot to learn to get there.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Examples for curiosity? I thought about that, but I couldn't honestly recall a version of her who actually seems to do any ruling, let alone effectively and benevolently. Even amidst all of the various power players in say, Mists of Avalon, politically she's naught but the religious extremist of Arthur's advisors.
    ...I want to make it clear I'm not going to go through my full shelves of Arthurian lore for examples. Also, as I said, the amount of power the versions of her show is debatable, but offhand, Lavinia Collins version could be argued, as well as the version from the 2008 version of Merlin on TV, which has an interesting ending, whatever i think of the rest of the series. She was at least as effective as anyone else in that interpretation, certainly. Persia Woolley springs to mind too, though I can't remember why at the moment. The brain has gone fuzzy. Past that, I can't match some titles in my head with authors, and do not wish to give inaccurate answers.

But yes, Mists is not particularly kind to her, even if you under play the character arc she's given.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2015-08-01 at 11:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Yes, but
    Spoiler
    Show
    the whole point of her storyline is that she's developing the understanding and skills to BE a good ruler. The whole point of the last arc was that by chaining her dragons, she's allowing herself to bend to others' ideals rather than being the ruler that she wants to be. I think the series is going to end up very Dany-positive....but she has a lot to learn to get there.
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually it shows that she can be manipulated into giving up her most powerful weapon & the creatures she calls herself the mother of, who she sacrificed her Sun & Stars for, just to attempt to appease a hostile faction of a foreign culture & to try & avoid the guilt over the death of one child whilst ignoring the deaths of all those that we caught in her wake

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Tamora Pierce's Tortall series had a couple of Good queens; Thayet did marry into it, but exerted political influence, and Dove was definitely queen in her own right.
    I seem to recall her other major franchise, Circle of Magic and it's subsequent books (Circle Opens, Battle Magic and Circle Reforged.) had at least one or two good Queens dotted around here and there, didn't it? (I know Will of the Empress didn't feature one, but somewhere else perhaps?)
    "I Burn!"