New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Do you enforce LA the player didn't ask for?

You should enforce a fair amount of LA. With low optimization that is the full LA, but if your group optimizes a bit then you should reduce the LA by an amount that matches the optimization. Probably not reduced by more than half in the vast majority of groups, and often reduced by only 1 or maybe 2. The player may still want to attempt to remove the template for roleplay reasons, i.e. see Durkula. But the LA shouldn't suck more just because you're playing in a high power group. Also note that, like OotS, in a slow leveling group the temporary bump in power is pretty nice. I mean they'll probably reach the next gate or resolve whatever Durkula is plotting before Durkula falls behind in level at all.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2015-08-01 at 08:45 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't want players to go around saying "Man, I hope I contract lycanthropy, because that would be awesome!". There's a reason it's considered a curse. If a PC unwillingly contracts lycanthropy, then they have both the benefits and the drawbacks, until they're able to cure it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I personally use the optional gestalt/LA system in my signature. It's something I came up with for this exact purpose, since I like to throw templates at my players. It scales rather well with LA, making it a diminishing burden on players by the nature of it being a flat xp cost, rather than one that scales with your level (by the fact that it each level costs 1 higher than it would normally). It does work best with savage progression though.

I've playtested it across a few games now, and whenever i run games with the rule in play, i tend to get a mix of people who are willing to try it, and they seem to end up generally on pary with the rest of the party.

The only real downside is it can get rather complicated if you use the optiona gestalt rules, but if you use it purely as an LA system, it's fairly straightforward.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Very.

http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm

Check the last question.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I wouldn't want players to go around saying "Man, I hope I contract lycanthropy, because that would be awesome!". There's a reason it's considered a curse. If a PC unwillingly contracts lycanthropy, then they have both the benefits and the drawbacks, until they're able to cure it.
    Well mainly because you need to make checks to control yourself. Once you put in enough skill ranks you can manage it pretty well though.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    But we're discussing drawbacks that don't exist within the fiction of the game. I can understand a dilemma where a character who becomes a werewolf or vampire is horrified at becoming the kind of monster they've been fighting all along, but put their quest for the cure on hold because their monstrous powers can be used for the greater good, but a situation where a condition in the fiction should make a character much stronger actually in mechanical terms cripples them would be really frustrating.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsed Pacifist View Post
    But we're discussing drawbacks that don't exist within the fiction of the game. I can understand a dilemma where a character who becomes a werewolf or vampire is horrified at becoming the kind of monster they've been fighting all along, but put their quest for the cure on hold because their monstrous powers can be used for the greater good, but a situation where a condition in the fiction should make a character much stronger actually in mechanical terms cripples them would be really frustrating.
    Ah, the 'Good Roleplaying' and 'Good Mechanics' dilemma.

My way of handling this is often to encourage roleplaying, and use description to point out the morality drift the character is suffering. In the end, it always comes down to the player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Basically no. If the player wanted the race or template I would talk to them about spreading out feature access so as to not overwhelm allies. If they don't want the template or race I would simply strip out most of the abilities and make it LA0.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".