New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 9: To kill a Yelling Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Are we still pretending Original Blond Girl is still working there?
    Sara got eaten by an allosaurus. Or so says the cast page.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Being reminded of the cast page's existence, I took a look at it. I'm surprised May isn't on there, considering much more minor characters like PT410X or Nat are on there. Also, I've totally forgotten what Raven is up to. Didn't she come back from college at some point?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there you go Emily. Just get drafted into work at Coffee of Doom.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Being reminded of the cast page's existence, I took a look at it. I'm surprised May isn't on there, considering much more minor characters like PT410X or Nat are on there. Also, I've totally forgotten what Raven is up to. Didn't she come back from college at some point?
    The cast page tends to lag a bit. Plus, May's pretty comparable with Nat, it's just that she's relevant now as opposed to several years ago.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #335

Imp

Bubbles is in there, though, and she's much newer than May.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Bubbles is in there, though, and she's much newer than May.
    Then it's not a bug. It's foreshadowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler: New Comic
    Show

What the heck happened to Penelope's hair? Looks like she dyed it auburn, which is kinda odd. While searching through the archives for a strip with her, I ran across the first one with Cosette, and Penelope's hair color now is similar to Cosette's original hair color...which becomes deeply ironic given that they made Cosette dye her hair brown when she started working for CoD.

Sometimes Jeph just loses me with his random character design changes. Penelope is barely recognizable here compared to how she looked previously.

The presence of Dale, former pizza delivery guy, has forced her to change her appearance to avoid him recognizing her as secretly his one time arch nemesis, Pizza Girl!

Or something.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

I think, if I were Penelope, I'd be a bit less concerned that Dora just hired someone by accident than that she hired Emily by accident. But then Pen may not know Emily that well...

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I think, if I were Penelope, I'd be a bit less concerned that Dora just hired someone by accident than that she hired Emily by accident. But then Pen may not know Emily that well...
    Emily in close proximity to vast amounts of hot liquid. This could not possibly be dangerous

Also... I'm pretty sure by now Dora just likes arguing. Just my kind of person.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #340

Imp

I would be more concerned that the 'promotion' is a lot more work and there hasn't been any discussion of additional pay.

Does Penny even want the job?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

I would be more concerned that the 'promotion' is a lot more work and there hasn't been any discussion of additional pay.
    There doesn't have to be talk of additional pay. A change of title (she is now assistant manager) carries with it a higher pay, in pretty much every organisation I have worked in or heard of. A barista makes about $8/hour and an assistant manager about $11/hour, according to the website linked (and those numbers look plausible to me, and they definitely are accurate for my own profession). They could discuss a rate above and beyond the base, of course, but it is not necessary.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-12-08 at 08:02 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Claire's freckles appear to have broken out into a terrible case of eczema.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #343

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    There doesn't have to be talk of additional pay. A change of title (she is now assistant manager) carries with it a higher pay, in pretty much every organisation I have worked in or heard of. A barista makes about $8/hour and an assistant manager about $11/hour, according to the website linked (and those numbers look plausible to me, and they definitely are accurate for my own profession). They could discuss a rate above and beyond the base, of course, but it is not necessary.
    Yes, that's how it's supposed to work. You get a new title, you get more responsibilities, you get more pay. But it's not an automatic thing. You do have to talk about it. Changing someone's title doesn't automatically deposit more money into their bank account. Your links are average payscales for those positions, not the official amount of money one will always receive for that job.

When you offer someone a promotion, you tell them what their new title and responsibilities would be, and you tell them/negotiate with them what their new wage/salary will be. Also, you generally tell them in person first and let them make the decision to accept it before announcing it to everyone at a staff meeting.

So, yeah, we can assume that Penelope's getting more money with promotion, that's a safe bet, but it's weird that Dora apparently isn't telling Penelope anything about how much she'll be paid.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2015-12-09 at 12:41 AM.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

14. - Top - End - #344

So, yeah, we can assume that Penelope's getting more money with promotion, that's a safe bet, but it's weird that Dora apparently isn't telling Penelope anything about how much she'll be paid.
    This seems like unnecessary detail more than anything. Does it change the story if Penelope goes from 9 bucks to 12, or 8 bucks to 11, or minimum wage to 15? Should Jeph also list how much Coffee of Doom's coffee costs, or the Secret Bakery's bagels, or what the fines at the library are?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #345

NecromancerGuy

I guess we'll find out if there's a discrepancy if it comes up as a plot point.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Claire's freckles appear to have broken out into a terrible case of eczema.
    That was actually the second thing I noticed, right after the slanted first panel. (I know it's supposed to be the countertop)
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #347

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    This seems like unnecessary detail more than anything. Does it change the story if Penelope goes from 9 bucks to 12, or 8 bucks to 11, or minimum wage to 15? Should Jeph also list how much Coffee of Doom's coffee costs, or the Secret Bakery's bagels, or what the fines at the library are?
    Yes, the actual number is a completely unnecessary detail. So are the specifics of what Penelope's new duties are. All I'm saying is this seems like a bum deal for Penelope when all that's being talked about in the comic is the downsides. I don't need to see the dang employee contract, I'm just surprised that payment didn't come up as a topic of conversation so far in the strips concerning the promotion, because that's like the first thing about getting a promotion.

I was not expecting pushback on this

You know what? I'm doubling down. Dora's a terrible manager, and if her delegation in #3107 is any indication of how things are gonna go, then Penelope needs to bail ASAP, possibly burning the place down behind her.

Tripling down, Coffee of Doom is a stain upon the earth, where aimless twenty-somethings toil away in purgatory until their miserable death by allosaurus.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Claire without glasses is a bit disconcerting...

19. - Top - End - #349

Yes, the actual number is a completely unnecessary detail. So are the specifics of what Penelope's new duties are. All I'm saying is this seems like a bum deal for Penelope when all that's being talked about in the comic is the downsides. I don't need to see the dang employee contract, I'm just surprised that payment didn't come up as a topic of conversation so far in the strips concerning the promotion, because that's like the first thing about getting a promotion.

I was not expecting pushback on this

You know what? I'm doubling down. Dora's a terrible manager, and if her delegation in #3107 is any indication of how things are gonna go, then Penelope needs to bail ASAP, possibly burning the place down behind her.

Tripling down, Coffee of Doom is a stain upon the earth, where aimless twenty-somethings toil away in purgatory until their miserable death by allosaurus.
    Her new duties are not unnecessary details. Her being in charge of scheduling and the like is likely going to be, if not a direct cause of drama at some stage, at least be included as part of her character development. Also, while yes, asking her ahead of time is the standard way to do things, discussing someone else's pay at a group meeting is also not done.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #350

I would say at least a casual mention of a non-specific pay raise, either at the meeting or during the breif one-on-one afterwards would certainly serve to soften the unpleasantness of Pen-pen's suddenly increased responsibilities.
    Still, I don't think it's all that bad.

And yeah, Claire sans glasses is strange. I suspect I'll have to get used to it, though.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I would say at least a casual mention of a non-specific pay raise, either at the meeting or during the breif one-on-one afterwards would certainly serve to soften the unpleasantness of Pen-pen's suddenly increased responsibilities.
    That is literally all I'm saying.

I mean, that, and the whole allosaurus purgatory thing.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Penny and Dora are going to have such a FUN working relationship...

23. - Top - End - #353

Imp

VINDICATION

See, I TOLD you it was weird!
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2015-12-10 at 01:07 AM.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

24. - Top - End - #354

NecromancerGuy

Agreed, strange Claire is strange. I wonder if this is just Jeph being Jeph or indicative of some kind of time skip?

Also, did Emily suddenly grow boobs or have I just been really unobservant up to now?

VINDICATION

See, I TOLD you it was weird!
    And I said it'd come up if it was in play.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Also, did Emily suddenly grow boobs or have I just been really unobservant up to now?
    I can't say I have noticed a change. Her boobs never were that prominent, though going back I guess they are actually more noticeable than others. But neither then nor now did I pay them much mind.

Also: I kind of feel like Penelope will be offended Emily gets what she was making just before... but maybe she'll just work more hours or... dunno.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I can't say I have noticed a change. Her boobs never were that prominent, though going back I guess they are actually more noticeable than others. But neither then nor now did I pay them much mind.

Also: I kind of feel like Penelope will be offended Emily gets what she was making just before... but maybe she'll just work more hours or... dunno.
    Not if its the general starting wage. Its kinda hard to tell how long penelope has actually been working here and if she has been getting pay rate increases or not. So since she gets a pay bump, I dont think she will give a dang that someone else makes her former lower pay scale.

*EDIT* Also, I will laugh a lot if this entire update was nothing more than jeph reacting to people outraged over penelope not being told flat out she would make more money in the earlier two comics. Especially with that last panel being a reference to his comic itself. "Hey, its worked well so far!"
    Last edited by Traab; 2015-12-10 at 09:37 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do hope this leads to more Emily Screen time. She's the most beautiful aspect and person of the comic to me right now, even though i miss her longer hair.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

28. - Top - End - #358

Tai has mastered Academia Fu.

Wait until the very last day and then use the pressure to crank out quality texts

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Tai has mastered Academia Fu.

Wait until the very last day and then use the pressure to crank out quality texts
    And always give your audience what they want, not what you think they should want.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Glassless Claire is still... disconcerting...