New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default What did Parson do wrong?

I have a few questions about Erfworld 53:47
    1. What did Parson do wrong?
    2. How has he tampered with the machine's functioning?
    3. Why did Wanda use "eyemancers" when it was "lookamancers" that were working the machine?
    4. What does linking the eyemancers mean?
    I am so confused.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: What did Parson do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
    I have a few questions about Erfworld 53:47
    1. What did Parson do wrong?
    Wanda thinks that he has disrupted, or risked disrupting, Stanley's setup linking the three Eyemancers.

2. How has he tampered with the machine's functioning?
    Whether or not he actually messed up the arrangement remains to be seen.

3. Why did Wanda use "eyemancers" when it was "lookamancers" that were working the machine?
    Lookamancy is a subtype of Eyemancy (just as Croakamancy is a subtype of Naughtymancy). Given that there are three mancers working the table, I'd guess that they are a Lookamancer, an Thinkamancer, and a Foolamancer -- all three are Eyemancers, and that label is the logical one for referring to them collectively.

4. What does linking the eyemancers mean?
    I infer that it means that all three of them work in tandem to operate the situation room tactical-display table. At a guess, the Lookamancer obtains information for display, the Thinkamancer relays orders and information to the field, and the Foolamancer generates the actual display images.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks. That explanation also explains what the difference between look/think/fool-amancy is. Lookamancy finds things. Thinkamancy sends images to peoples minds across distances. Foolamancy displays false images (fooling your mind/optical illusion). I forgot that a lookamancer is a kind of eyemancer. I thought they were both subsections of some kind of mancy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

It could be possible that by linking them together they lose their sense of self. And by calling the one misty he has slightly disrupted this link. I mean if their supposed to be slaved together and work as one, then any action as an individual may be an issue.

This is one of those things that I hope that Parson tries to improve the situation of. That is make these eyemancers a bit happier and more able to enjoy their job.
    Ramblers anonymous.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

If the three eyemancers are different, what is the use of the foolamancer?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ave: the table projects holographic images of things, like this gwiffon. That's where the foolamancer comes in.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

sounds logical...the lookamancer sees the terrain and units with magic and relays this via a mindlink through the thinkamancer to the foolamancer who creates an illusion of what the lookamancer sees...as orders are sent, the thinkamancer sends the orders to the minds or eyebooks of the warlord in question.

From one of the comics, it seems that Stanly is in constant contact with the thinkamancer who can send him telepathic updates on the battles and what they see.

I am still not exactly sure what he did wrong...somehow I don't think it was using Misty's name...I think it was something he was doing with the eyebooks, or just the fact that Misty was operating wihtout the other two present and working in tandem...they were chained together the other times we saw them...I wonder what that means...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

yes what exactly the mancers do is still unclear. but it seems Parson's disrupting the unity of the group in some fashion.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I thought that he wasn't supposed to move the minis around on the hex grid....
    "Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't comin' back, burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, but you can't take the sky from me."

May the Force be with you.

Why are you standing in the courtyard holding a parasol painted like a bullseye?

Highlight: I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Maerad of Pellinor View Post
    I thought that he wasn't supposed to move the minis around on the hex grid....
    Hmmm... where'd the minis come from, anyway? The impression I got (from the scene of Stanley arranging Jillian's capture) is that the table displays images; why would they need figurines?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... where'd the minis come from, anyway? The impression I got (from the scene of Stanley arranging Jillian's capture) is that the table displays images; why would they need figurines?
    I would imagine from the red box that Misty opened, and why not. The system comes from a real time display, but the figures may have been from before the fusion (link), or provided for preicely this reason, running through plans before hand.

12. - Top - End - #12

Maerad of pellinor, That's the Firefly theme music, isn't it?
    "Post, Post, Post, More Comments!"
    High priest of the Belkar/Banzhulu church
    Proud member of team evil.
    Kudos to Simius For the awesome avatar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: What did Parson do wrong?

I thought linked meant that he chained them...

But now I am not so sure anymore.

Btw, Wandas use of word "shrewdest" implies that Stanley have done other shrewed acts... He is so far from shrewed one can be, I believe...

/Paul
    My avatar is from the webcomic Erfworld by Rob Balder (text) and Jamie Naguchi (art).
    Her name was Misty.

14. - Top - End - #14

ElfMonkGuy

Maybe the eyemancers only need to be chained in working hours.
    That might be the game symbology fo them being "linked".

I think Stanley is mad because Parson's plan during the night didn't work. He still doesn't know about the Dwagons idea, and Wanda is preventing him from finding out.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Parson failed in his trap to eliminate Ansom- Vinnie Doombats sensed it, and thus Parson's plan failed. This is what Stanely was angry about.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

i had the impression when i read the comic that he "tampered with their functioning" had more to do with speaking with misty instead of having mental communication like stanley did in a previous comic.
    As mentioned before, talking (an further, having a name) would likely reinforce their identity and that somehow makes more difficult the work they do as eyemancers.
    but well, guess this will be cleared up in upcoming comics... like after the attack ...
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by PePe_QuiCoSE View Post
    i had the impression when i read the comic that he "tampered with their functioning" had more to do with speaking with misty instead of having mental communication like stanley did in a previous comic.
    As mentioned before, talking (an further, having a name) would likely reinforce their identity and that somehow makes more difficult the work they do as eyemancers.
    but well, guess this will be cleared up in upcoming comics... like after the attack ...
    Huh. Given the mentions of the Eyebooks, I thought it had something to do with his "Klog".

18. - Top - End - #18

A thought that occurs to me -- when the battle gets going, will Stanley get a telepathic heads-up the way he did earlier? What's about to happen is a lot bigger than the loss of one spidew squad, after all.

If so, it had better be clear that this plan is showing promising early results by the time Stanley gets to the situation room. (However "relaxing" Wanda's attentions might be, I don't think they'll keep him away from monitoring a major battle.) If not, Stanley might be irritated at having his connection severed, victory or no victory.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

A thought that occurs to me -- when the battle gets going, will Stanley get a telepathic heads-up the way he did earlier? What's about to happen is a lot bigger than the loss of one spidew squad, after all.

If so, it had better be clear that this plan is showing promising early results by the time Stanley gets to the situation room. (However "relaxing" Wanda's attentions might be, I don't think they'll keep him away from monitoring a major battle.) If not, Stanley might be irritated at having his connection severed, victory or no victory.
    This is where we both agree SteveMB and hopefully for those who like Parson enough time passes before Stanley decides he goes "plot" out of Erfworld

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMDVogrin View Post
    Huh. Given the mentions of the Eyebooks, I thought it had something to do with his "Klog".
    That was my leaning as well. I was giving that some additional weight based on what Sizemore said in panel #7 here...
    Let's break all the rules and make instant pudding slowly.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Could be possible it was a message from the findamancer or foolamancer.
    If Parson is the one commanding the battle, they wouldn't necessarily need to report to Stanley. On the other hand, the possible repercussions if he didn't.... Damned if you do, damned if ye don't.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

22. - Top - End - #22

A thought that occurs to me -- when the battle gets going, will Stanley get a telepathic heads-up the way he did earlier?
    In that panel, Stanley was notified AFTER the spidews were wiped out. If he is notified of this battle in the same way, he may get a report that his dwagons eliminated dozens of opponents without a single casualty. Seems like a good place for Parson to begin the conversation about what he has done.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by spite48 View Post
    In that panel, Stanley was notified AFTER the spidews were wiped out. If he is notified of this battle in the same way, he may get a report that his dwagons eliminated dozens of opponents without a single casualty.
    "Wow -- just now, it felt like I was just face to face with the Titans, and they were talking to me in my head just like Thinkamancer, and they said my dwagons just croaked a couple dozen battle bears and trashed most of the enemy siege towers and..."
    "I'm pleased that you feel so... relaxed, O mighty Tool."

(Yes, I have no shame. I wasn't using it, so I got a couple hundred schmuckers for it. )