New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: If you want something saved from WotC, do it now

Quote Originally Posted by endur View Post
    Yet another incredibly stupid move by WOTC.

Even if they don't like the way the forums are going, they should not delete the incredibly valuable content on the forums.
    Well, stupid on a public relation side of things with regards to D&D gamers. Hasbro probably doesn't want to spend money on it AND doesn't want a toxic astmosphere related to one of their products as it could eventually come back to haunt them later with PR for buyers of their other brands.

I'm kinda hoping/expecting Wotc or D&D will be under a new owner for 6E. MtG will not be, don't ever see them giving that up, but D&D...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

This seems like a silly move to me - how much can a forum cost, really, in comparison to other outgoings at Wizards? It seems defeatist and damaging to pull the rug out from under an established community. I met my first gaming group by posting on the WotC forums. I personally only dip my toe in the Wizards forum, normally at the end of a Google search for a specific idea, or guide, but I can't deny that it's a focus for the community and the first place D&D gamers are going to congregate.

What's the alternative D&D forum? Are they ceding that territory to Paizo? Is it Giant in the Playground?* Conversations on Facebook or Twitter aren't moderated, or easily referenced, or as substantive, as forums. If people kick off on the forums about changes on the boards, who cares? People are capable of kicking off on Twitter or Facebook too.

I have an inkling forums are something of a dying media across the board.

* I hope not. This forum has a good atmosphere I wouldn't want diminished.
    Here is my DIY D&D blog, where I post my thoughts and homebrew ideas, mainly for 5e. Currently I'm working on Sea Wolves, an Age of Sail setting undergoing systems collapse.

Here is where I posted my Let's Read of the 5e Monster Manual and here are my current Monster Reviews.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the dev team has been pushing social media and streaming, which is honestly the first place I look for D&D related entertainment.

I love private forums, but most people just don't anymore and have moved to reddit, image boards, and twitter for most things. Even the MtG spoiler sites are dying, and with ad blocker it is kinda hard to make the same communities you used to.
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrConsideration View Post
    What's the alternative D&D forum? Are they ceding that territory to Paizo?
    Enworld, presumably.

Frankly, Paizo's forum interface is almost as bad as WOTC. It makes me wonder why; PhpBB has been the de facto standard for community boards and has a lot of thought and development put into making it userfriendly; so why on earth would both Paizo and WOTC avoid using that?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #95

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Enworld, presumably.

Frankly, Paizo's forum interface is almost as bad as WOTC. It makes me wonder why; PhpBB has been the de facto standard for community boards and has a lot of thought and development put into making it userfriendly; so why on earth would both Paizo and WOTC avoid using that?
    I've been checking enworld out more often, its not to bad and it seems a lot of old wotc stuff is popping up over there.

Maybe they both thought if they made their forums bad enough people would switch themselves and they wouldn't have to go through a "shutting down phase" and lose street cred?

So flanking weird.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: WoTC closing fourms.

I've set up an index of WotC 3.X material in our subforum, here. It includes directions for how to easily transfer posts from WotC to any other BBCode-based board.

Feel free to post links to saved material (from other sites or that you've posted here), or to PM me links and I'll add them.
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2015-09-21 at 12:36 AM.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'd hazard a guess that feedback/focus groups were saying that the forums were intimidating to new players. They still want forums to exist, but they dont want them readily accessible from their main hub (wotc.com) because they dont want potential customers turned off by 45 page long threads about martial vs caster power, or how to jam eldritch blast into every character build.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Enworld, presumably.

+1 on Paizo's site being weird. There are a lot of "company store" sites that are simply horrible. They don't need to all be PhpBB, but that should be the minimum standard for features and interactivity. I don't need (or want) animated avatars, but don't bother if there's no facility for things like rich text or simple quoting.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capac Amaru View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that feedback/focus groups were saying that the forums were intimidating to new players. They still want forums to exist, but they dont want them readily accessible from their main hub (wotc.com) because they dont want potential customers turned off by 45 page long threads about martial vs caster power, or how to jam eldritch blast into every character build.
    Yeah, it takes me a while to get around to trying out official forums, partially due to this, partially because it's hard to know if having every book is expected or not (I've found the Onyx Path forums very good for this with people quoting books that disprove my points, while when I tried the Shadowrun forums people thought I was being stupid because I didn't own one splat [I don't care what it says on the rulebooks, core-only means core rulebook]). It's part of the reason I hope the Giant keeps these forums going for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    +1 on Paizo's site being weird. There are a lot of "company store" sites that are simply horrible. They don't need to all be PhpBB, but that should be the minimum standard for features and interactivity. I don't need (or want) animated avatars, but don't bother if there's no facility for things like rich text or simple quoting.
    It's weird how a lot of forums seem to value style above substance. I don't care if you support 2Mb avatars with strobe lighting if I can't quote posts or style text. All in all, I'd prefer an okay-looking forum with basic features over one that supports lots of flash but misses out on some key functionality.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Great choice... oi.

Reddit-never been there
    Twitter-Shamus Young @ Twenty-Sided has a Twitter feed beside his blog. LinkedIn loves to talk about Twitter. I haven't logged into my Twitter account in 5+ year.
    Facebook-Not a good discussion forum
    Tumblr-What does Batman's armored car have to do with this?
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Hrmph.

Forums in flame wars off the alignment questions in the sub-forums.

I watched homebrew material glitter in the darkness near the 3rd edition web portal.

All those... moments will be lost... in time.

Like... tears... in rain.

Time... to die.
    Blade Runner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Halfling in the Playground

i am currently in the process of downloading the entirety of the Published Worlds, and Previous Edition Categories (General, Archieve, Character Optimization)
    (I have no interest in 4E or later, so I'm not going into those rule sections right now. I might after I have what I'm after)

I already downloaded the category thread listing pages last night, and I wrote a program that is currently pulling out the information I need to generate the thread links for each page (Automated website downloaders are horrible for downloading web forums)

i.e
    http://www.examples.com/Forum-1/Thread-1
    http://www.examples.com/Forum-1/Thread-2
    http://www.examples.com/Forum-1/Thread-3&aPage=1
    http://www.examples.com/Forum-1/Thread-3&aPage=2
    http://www.examples.com/Forum-1/Thread-3&aPage=147

Once that's done, I'll download all the threads, as they stand that day (I should be done downloading by Friday I think)

After that, I'm going to look into putting them online as part of a larger project I'm at the point I need external assistance with.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

There are only 15 more days left to mirror material. The Index of 3.X WotC Threads has a list of content that has already been mirrored, as well as suggestions for content that has not yet been.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

Male

Any tips on the quickest, easiest way to save threads? There are a lot of 4e guides I still use to this day on the WotC forums...
    Author of Twice Blessed, a D&D webcomic:

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

There's directions in the index thread. In short: There's a windows program you can download, or you can do it by hand (copy+pasting then adding formatting, or running the HTML through an HTML-to-BBCode converter. There's one linked).

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

There are only two days left to mirror content.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    There are only two days left to mirror content.
    I still haven't seen much material exported, so it looks like it's going to be the Gleemax move all over again with only a small fraction of things being preserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gadren View Post
    Any tips on the quickest, easiest way to save threads? There are a lot of 4e guides I still use to this day on the WotC forums...
    Wayback Machine is the easiest way to save a thread.

Paste the URL of the first page, then once that is saved click through to all the following pages.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Using the Wayback Machine is indeed the easiest, but it makes searching very difficult for future users. Without a direct link to the content or knowledge of exactly what they're looking for, it's tricky to find what you're looking for. The benefit to mirroring content to other forums is that it becomes both searchable (ie indexed by google/ other sites), and it is once again open for comment and updating.

There's approximately 24 hours left to mirror content. There are instructions on how to do so in the index thread (link in sig).

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A lot of guides are going to be lost/never updated.

This is a sad day. Not really sure how mirroring actually works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

There are instructions at the top of the index thread. In short, you copy the text from WotC, and paste it to another forum. If you're on windows, there's a handy program you can download that helps with the formatting.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    There are instructions at the top of the index thread. In short, you copy the text from WotC, and paste it to another forum. If you're on windows, there's a handy program you can download that helps with the formatting.
    Oh. Well now I feel silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    It also doesn't hurt to save a copy to your computer, for anything you really personally want. The file sizes involved are honestly pretty small.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    No need to feel silly. The typical use for the term "mirroring" is to describe hosting content (usually something downloadable) on an external site for redundancy and resiliency. What we're doing is similar, except that we are the external site, and in six days there won't be any redundancy once the original is gone.

Edit: I suppose I should also make it more obvious that the deadline has apparently been extended until Nov 5.
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2015-10-30 at 11:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

The deadline has been extended (until Nov 5, most likely). That means there's now two days left to mirror content.