New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Star Power V: The Final Yawntier

Ok, sooo.... Did he point out "that's the ship with your friend" or "that's the ship with the guy who wants you dead"?

Maybe he can read thought bubbles...

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

I tried to read the page without the though balloons, and it looks like he is pointing at the ships that just went out of cloaking.

Also, notice how they don't care about being hidden anymore, or generally about any strategy, they just shoot lasers at the general direction, sometimes hitting the shield.
    It's almost like they expect it will DO something.
    So adorable.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm rooting for Burke!

Think this through the girl they're fighting has pretty much solo killed the Void Angels as a whole, he however just wants to date her and has a pretty good chance at pulling this off because he isn't a sociopath!

Now if the Void Angels ever regroup and they talk about this event do you think they'll remark that the guy calling Burke a traitor much be jealous, everybody else tried every dirty trick in the book to kill her, Burke actually tried dating her and survived!

Yes I'm actually amused, problem is I think the not a sociopath is the one who gets killed as his "friend" will kill him trying to kill Beena and we have Burke either going out on his own or leads to a fight between him and that sociopathic former friend instead of him vs Danica!

Any takers on the odds on that happening?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Yes I'm actually amused, problem is I think the not a sociopath is the one who gets killed as his "friend" will kill him trying to kill Beena and we have Burke either going out on his own or leads to a fight between him and that sociopathic former friend instead of him vs Danica!

Any takers on the odds on that happening?
    I'm not convinced that he's not a sociopath. Sociopaths need sex too. How else do baby sociopaths happen? He's a scared sociopath, which is maybe the difference.

It might turn out interesting in the end.

I wonder what the countess is up to now?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I'm fine with him being somewhat able to know what she is thinking. It's not that hard to guess.

That said... are we actually going to get a romance between the two? Because... why?! Cause he's the one named human male beside Bill? (And Roary... But those two...)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #396
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah Danica, take the advice of one of the guys who was shooting you in the back... a lot. The fact that its probably true doesnt really matter, its just, she has some serious issues with trusting way too easily. Its like, all you have to do is cut down on the whole "trying to kill her" thing, and suddenly she will believe anything you say/mime as if you just became friends. Yeah I know,s he is basing the assumption on the whole, "I just saved his life" thing. Its still not smart.

Also, here is how you handle things danica. Smash the cockpits, hurl the pilots into the vacuum of space, then bring the ships to the planets surface and look for your friend. There are steps between doing no damage, and total obliteration you know. If you want to make sure to avoid any self destruct things, pop their heads like grapes before tossing them into space.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah Danica, take the advice of one of the guys who was shooting you in the back... a lot. The fact that its probably true doesnt really matter, its just, she has some serious issues with trusting way too easily. Its like, all you have to do is cut down on the whole "trying to kill her" thing, and suddenly she will believe anything you say/mime as if you just became friends. Yeah I know,s he is basing the assumption on the whole, "I just saved his life" thing. Its still not smart.

Also, here is how you handle things danica. Smash the cockpits, hurl the pilots into the vacuum of space, then bring the ships to the planets surface and look for your friend. There are steps between doing no damage, and total obliteration you know. If you want to make sure to avoid any self destruct things, pop their heads like grapes before tossing them into space.

the entire thing about a villain changing his mind after seeing that his side does not have "the power of friendship" is not new or original, but I must give credit to Mookie for establishing that Burke wasn't really in for the whole "revenge" thing, and if it was up to him they would all just forget about Danica.
    Actually, only one of the trio was insane enough, and that's not his first time.
    In this case, I think things were done better than most places that use this trope, even if the change was a bit too fast.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

So... how are these people still friends with Skyle? I'd drop into stealth and run for my life...

I guess camaradery is strong even with crazy people.
    "What's done is done."

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So... how are these people still friends with Skyle? I'd drop into stealth and run for my life...

I guess camaradery is strong even with crazy people.
    Probably a big case of, "Who else do we have to turn to?" Or maybe they just hope that if they can get this lust for vengeance out of his system the dude will calm the heck down.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a decent plan. She's just trying to free the hostage, so he's going her defenses will be down. We don't actually know if he's planning on killing his shipmate in the process.

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    It's a decent plan. She's just trying to free the hostage, so he's going her defenses will be down. We don't actually know if he's planning on killing his shipmate in the process.
    Yeah... but that kinda begs another question - what is Danica trying to achieve here, exactly?
    Force the trunk open and pull Beena out into hard vacuum without a spacesuit?
    Disable the fighter and try to tow it away while under fire?

12. - Top - End - #402
    Firbolg in the Playground

Probably a big case of, "Who else do we have to turn to?" Or maybe they just hope that if they can get this lust for vengeance out of his system the dude will calm the heck down.
    Eh, maybe they just lost a bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well its started!

Burke vs Skyle and I'm not sure if he's protecting Danica or all three of them!

14. - Top - End - #404

So the trio is breaking up. I wonder how this will go? I mean crazy boy there was barely threatening when he had two equally equipped guys backing him up and I dont think this is going to help his mental state any.

15. - Top - End - #405

So that comment about the trio had me trying to write a parody of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight", but it was... um... pretty dire. Anybody else want to take a stab at it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    Force the trunk open and pull Beena out into hard vacuum without a spacesuit?
    Do you know that feeling when you just hate beeing right?

Plus, that one thought bubble - "She used their emergency kit. Good thinking, Beena." - that pretty much shows she expected her to be breathing vacuum at this point (assuming she actually thought this far).
    An ill-considered plan fails to result in disaster thanks to deus ex machina.

17. - Top - End - #407

Do you know that feeling when you just hate beeing right?

Plus, that one thought bubble - "She used their emergency kit. Good thinking, Beena." - that pretty much shows she expected her to be breathing vacuum at this point (assuming she actually thought this far).
    An ill-considered plan fails to result in disaster thanks to deus ex machina.
    Maybe she can project a force field around her with atmosphere in it? I mean, being exposed to space isnt some instantly fatal thing. A couple seconds of exposure would suck sure, but nothing irreparable. Of course, thats humans. For all we know 4 eyed dancing queen party aliens can survive in vacuum so long as they have oxygen?

18. - Top - End - #408

Maybe she can project a force field around her with atmosphere in it? I mean, being exposed to space isnt some instantly fatal thing. A couple seconds of exposure would suck sure, but nothing irreparable. Of course, thats humans. For all we know 4 eyed dancing queen party aliens can survive in vacuum so long as they have oxygen?
    The force field I'll give you, but where's she going to get the atmosphere to fill it?
    I don't see her carrying any gas bottles.

On reflection, it's really that thought bubble that irks me so much - since these are one-man fighters where the pilots are wearing spacesuits, it's actually not all that unreasonable to assume that a "passenger" in the cargo compartment would have to be wearing breathing equipment.
    (Which means my previous complaint was unnecessary, now that I think about it.)
    But then we get this little bit that shows that no, that's not what "our hero" was thinking, she just lucked out because there "happened" to be an emergency kit that Beena could reach; she was neither unconscious nor tied up in a way that would prevent her from using it; *and* she actually put it on at the right time, despite being in a windowless compartment unable to tell what was happening outside.

19. - Top - End - #409

The force field I'll give you, but where's she going to get the atmosphere to fill it?
    I don't see her carrying any gas bottles.

On reflection, it's really that thought bubble that irks me so much - since these are one-man fighters where the pilots are wearing spacesuits, it's actually not all that unreasonable to assume that a "passenger" in the cargo compartment would have to be wearing breathing equipment.
    (Which means my previous complaint was unnecessary, now that I think about it.)
    But then we get this little bit that shows that no, that's not what "our hero" was thinking, she just lucked out because there "happened" to be an emergency kit that Beena could reach; she was neither unconscious nor tied up in a way that would prevent her from using it; *and* she actually put it on at the right time, despite being in a windowless compartment unable to tell what was happening outside.
    Same place she gets air to both breathe and talk with? Her suit is powered by handwavium, which as all right thinking individuals know, can be manipulated into any form required, including a complex mix of gases that makes up the atmosphere of an earth like planet. I will do you the honor of assuming you simply forgot that obvious fact instead of questioning your level of sentience for not knowing about it already. /nod

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    So that comment about the trio had me trying to write a parody of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight", but it was... um... pretty dire. Anybody else want to take a stab at it?
    Always relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFtBjc1dz7w

Maybe she's just feeling that gassy?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Had fun with this part of the plot?

And now for something completely different.

22. - Top - End - #412

"Ya hi, I got bored waiting for you to land on the freaking planet I have been leading you towards, so i decided to activate my "Star Powered Teleportation Device" tm You may be asking yourself, "Why didnt you just teleport me directly to you days ago?" The answer? Shut up. Also possibly it can only reach out to orbit of this planet because reasons. Now lets talk. And please ignore my creepy appearance, it in no way indicates bad things or that i am untrustworthy."

23. - Top - End - #413

Now that I think about it: why didn't she just throw the pilot out and take the ship with Beena to a planet, before opening the trunk? I don't know about Beenians, but humans don't survive longer than 3 minutes in outer space, because gas in the blood dilates and creates emboli, at which point blood stops flowing, killing brain and other parts after shooting them down through lack of oxygen.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

How's that old writing tip go? You should never use magic (/technomagic/superpowers/etc.) to solve problems in ways that you haven't used it before unless that magic creates new problems in the process? Something like that. It was much pithier when I first heard it, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone knows a better formulation of it, but yeah. That's all I can think of when I see this.

I wonder if Mookie has simply never heard that advice, if he's heard it and has consciously rejected it, or if he somehow thinks he's actually following it (despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary).
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Danica began as a formless cloud of unSTARPOWERed!!! lab-assistanten. Seeded with a burst of MTC235 she coalesced into a luminous STARPOWER!!! Sadly, after a ridiculously short duration as a star she collapsed in a fiery NOVA (overshadowed by a nearby SUPERNOVA theater). As all post=nova stars, she transformed into a minor WHITE-DWARF but her ambition to regain her starry role kept her dissatisfied with her condition. Disdaining a long and peaceful life as a WHITE-DWARF she achieved extra power from dubious sources. But it was her downfall for she couldn't handle all the EXTRA-MASS and collapsed into a BLACK-HOLE. It wasn't the first. It wasn't the second. It was the TENTH WARMHOLE!!!!!

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Danica began as a formless cloud of unSTARPOWERed!!! lab-assistanten. Seeded with a burst of MTC235 she coalesced into a luminous STARPOWER!!! Sadly, after a ridiculously short duration as a star she collapsed in a fiery NOVA (overshadowed by a nearby SUPERNOVA theater). As all post=nova stars, she transformed into a minor WHITE-DWARF but her ambition to regain her starry role kept her dissatisfied with her condition. Disdaining a long and peaceful life as a WHITE-DWARF she achieved extra power from dubious sources. But it was her downfall for she couldn't handle all the EXTRA-MASS and collapsed into a BLACK-HOLE. It wasn't the first. It wasn't the second. It was the TENTH WARMHOLE!!!!!
    The Dwarf is too close now for your liking.
    You offer a prayer to Xom.
    Xom slaps you in the face with a rainbow trout!
    The Dwarf shouts.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I don't know about Beenians, but humans don't survive longer than 3 minutes in outer space, because gas in the blood dilates and creates emboli, at which point blood stops flowing, killing brain and other parts after shooting them down through lack of oxygen.
    No offense but I hate it when people talk about what would kill you in space. Because last time I checked, we never tried. Neither on humans nor animals. And while this certainly seems like a more well founded guess than most I come across its still just an assumption, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    How's that old writing tip go? You should never use magic (/technomagic/superpowers/etc.) to solve problems in ways that you haven't used it before unless that magic creates new problems in the process?
    In mookie's defense (wow, I say this way too often) danica is hardly in trouble here, she could just run off now. She can move way faster than light and she has one meekly enemy left. Magic teleport now is just... Pointless. My guess is it happened because whoever observed her act of heroism?
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

No offense but I hate it when people talk about what would kill you in space. Because last time I checked, we never tried. Neither on humans nor animals. And while this certainly seems like a more well founded guess than most I come across its still just an assumption, no?
    I'd wager someone tried to torture humans in vacuumed pressure chambers by now. You don't need to go all the way to Space to achieve vacuum. Just an airtight room and an air-pump to draw out the air from it. Also airplanes at high altitude (low pressure, not vacuum, but still)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Unless there is something magic about space (or micro-gravity) that makes it different from being in a vacuum chamber on earth, we know what would happen.
    Last edited by Spojaz; 2016-06-14 at 01:46 PM.
    "The error is to be human"

30. - Top - End - #420

It mainly comes from here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...cted-possible/

In general, vacuum should work that way, even in outer space. I have no idea of how changes in temperature work, however.