New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 39 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Tengu's Final Fantasy

The sun rises over the city of Sour. It shines over the stone buildings, with roofs covered in red or blue tiles, and over the simpler huts in the district of the poor. It shines over the machines in the industry district, which, while stopped now, will soon start to work again as daily, filling the air with ruckus, sparks and smoke. It also shines over the roof and the courtyard of the majestic Royal Academy. A flock of pigeons wakes up and flies off, looking for something to scavenge - and those fifty cadets who are writing their final exam now only can wish they'd be so free as these birds!

Exam has been written. Around fifty cadets wait in anticipation for the scores in the hall - some of them start to get really stressful, some pretend that they don't care - but it's only a mask for sure. Finally, the door open! An elderly knight comes out, holding a piece of paper is his hands, waiting for the hall to become silent - which happens almost immediately.
    "I will now announce the list of those of you who have passed the written exam. Those whom I will mention are to wait here for the practical exam, which will start in half an hour. Better luck next year for the rest of you."
    Many cadets started to hate the knight for this comment, but at the moment, everyone is nervously listening to the list. The knights reads the names. Less than twenty among over fifty have passed! Those who haven't leave the hall, some of them swearing and angered, some with resignation.
    "Congratulations." , the knight says simply to the remaining cadets, and leaves through the door that eh entered. The cadets remain in the hall, the practical test awaiting them soon. Simon, Jacob, Simura and Sebastian are among them.

----------------------------

In the meantime, the ruckus at the large courtyard before the Academy attracts a small crowd. King's soldiers, under the supervision of Academy's instructors, set up everything that'll be needed for the final part of the practical exam. A small fence is set up around the courtyard, to keep the civilians from entering it during the battle, and two large cages, both covered in white sheets, are set - many could've sworn they've heard some growling coming from them! At an honorary place, on the courtyard and as close to the expected place of battle as possible, is a throne - it is no mystery that King Malach will want to see the final test personally!
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-05-18 at 03:57 AM.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Tengu's Final Fantasy

Jacob Hextombe
    During the exame Jacob is quite nervous, writing awnsers,scratching his head, erasing them, writing again, erasing once more ... dropping his pencil ...

Waiting, Jacob sits on the floor against the wall, half depressed, half bussy playing with a gil. He doesn't stop playing with the coin when the elderly knight enters, already knowing what the knight has to say ...
    His supprize is big when his name is called, looking up and dropping the gil. Apparently he did give a few correct awnsers.

As the knight leaves, he picks up his - now lucky - gil and stands up. he throws the gil in the air, grabs it mid-air and puts it away.
    being quite happy - and loud "OH YEAH. Who's da man?"

After a few seconds, he stops.
    "Eeuh anyone know were we need to be in half an hour? I .. dind't quite ... expect ... to make it ..."
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Simura

A moogle, standing atop a desk? Well I never... well, it is really the only way Simura can see over the heads of her classmates.

When her name is called, Simura does a little hop of joy, and starts grinning! "And they said a moogle could never become a knight..." Who 'they' are is a matter of speculation. Racists, I'd assume.

The happy moogle sits down on her desk, still grinning ear to ear - which is quite and accomplishment when your ears are at the top of your head.

"Now onto the practical exam! Oh, I hope it's exciting, kupo~!"
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Simon Blackstar

Standing at the back of the crowd, Simon is leaning on a wall eyes closed. When the names are called, his eyes open and he proceeds to look around the room. Looking at the other cadets that made the cut.

Seeing Jacob excited and confused he approaches him. "The Knight said we were to wait here for the practical exam. Congratulations on making it. My name's Simon Blackstar. I'm a mage candidate."
    Last edited by darkmist83; 2007-05-18 at 12:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jacob Hextombe To Simon

"yeah, thanks. of course for me, it was a piece of cake ... don't see how anyone wouldn't pass that. eeeasy" obviously he's joking.
    "Jacob Hextombe. greatest martial artist in the history of the world ... neh yust kidding. canditate warrior, specilized in unarmed combat."

oh yeah. congrats to your self. and to the other 19 "And to you all! We made it! WOOHOO"
    Last edited by qube; 2007-05-18 at 01:02 PM.

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Simura

Spotting Simon walking up to another student, she grins a little and leaps from desk to desk, before jumping up to stand on Simon's shoulders. "Hey Blackstar! Guess you passed too, huh?" She leans over, using Simon's head as a support, and grins at Jacob. "Hi! Name's Simura, kupo~! I'm a candidate... er... red mage, I guess? Combat and magic, anyway. I'm in Blackstar's Theory of Magic class. Was. That stuff's over now, I guess."

She's very.. chatty.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sebastian watches the others celebrate over passing the written exam. I guess it is something to be proud of. He shakes his head at his own lack of enthusiasm. He keeps his tattered cloak around hima and keeps his hood up as he paces around.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but we're only half done. A little writing will seem easy compared to the challenges we await. He begins so stretch a little. My name's Sebastian. I'd guess you could call me a candidate thi....er...scout.
    Last edited by Perducci; 2007-05-18 at 01:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of the other candidates remaining in the hall have gathered into such groups as yours, congratulating each other and getting ready for the, yet unknown, requirements of the approaching practical test...

(Half an hour later... feel free to continue both your conversation and write what are you doing in the future.)

The door have finally opened again, making the hall silent almost immediately once again. This time, two knights entered - apart from the elderly one known from before, a well-built man with long, dark hair and an eyepatch on his right eye also is here. And it's him who speaks:
    "I hope everyone is ready for the practical part. You will be split in two groups now, in orders for the exam to go smoother. Those whose first names begin with letters from A to I, follow Sir Berne." He nods towards the other knight. "The rest of you, follow me." After leaving the hall, he proceeded towards the parts of the Academy usually forbidden for the cadets. Which was even stranger, the group headed towards the basement!
    (I assume that you are following him.)
    The knight and his group soon arrived in a large room in the basement, dry and devoid of any furniture or ornaments, with light given from an electric lamp on the ceiling. There are many iron doors in the room, though.
    "Now, cadets, the shorter but much more intensive part of the final test awaits you. Behind each of those doors, there's a tunnel. In order to pass this part of the exam, you need to arrive to the other side. Turning back, yelling loudly that you give up, spending inside more than two hours, passing away... all of those actions make you fail." He grins. "Well, I joked about the last part. I do not suspect anything more serious would happen to any of you inside. Remember, though it might not look that way, your progress shall be observed from outside. I hope you don't have any questions, as I'm not going to answer any since I've said everything you need to know. Good luck, and off you go - a single one to each door!"

Behind each of the doors, there's a simple tunnel, 10 feet wide and 12 high, very similar to the room before in the terms of light and looks. The tunnel does not turn nor splits up, but after a short while it's blocked by a square block of rough, splintered wood - which leaves a free space of about 2 feet under the ceiling, but only an inch or two on the both sides.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jacob Hextombe

@ sebastian
    "A scout you say? no wonder your have done. Me for one, I'm 100% boiled, baken and packed." Jacob says with a smile

@ the tunnel
    "So if we kick the bucket, we pass? Cool. Well gang, see you at the other side ..."Jacob runs in the tunnel. Right before the wooden wall, Jacob jumps to his left, kicks the wall, and uses the backlash to increase the jump and create a spin-effect, clearing the wooden obstacle with ease. landing on the floor with both feet and a knee. he re-asess the situations. "I'm he-ere ..."

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

Sebastian mutters under his breath as he sizes up the obstacle.. He draws his dagger and walks up to the wooden obstacle. He ties his rope onto the end of the dagger and stabs it into the wall about 4 feet off the ground.With the rope in his mouth, he jumps up onto the dagger using it as a peg to stand on and grasps the top of the obstacle with both of his free hands and pulls himself up. He straddles the wood as he pulls his dagger out with his rope. He drops to the ground on the other side and rolls to break the fall. Sebastian springs up re-sheaths his dagger and continues down the tunnel.

Not too challenging...yet.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob, Sebastian

When both of you climb up the block, it turns out that it's also ten feet long. Crawling over its surface is nothing that'd stop anyone, though it's rough and splintery.

A short distance after the block, the corridor (for both of you) splits into two directions - the corridor leading onwards ends in a dead end after around fifteen feet, so the only reasonable thing is to go to the side. The corridor here ends in an iron door, similar to those at the beginning of the challenge - yet when you approach them, they open on their own, also closing behind you as you step through them.

Jacob

You arrive in a large, circular room, similar to the previos ones in appearance (this "practice dungeon" looks pretty dull...), filled with similar metal doors over the whole wall. One of them opens a short while after you enter the room, and closes behind you as you enter it.

Another corridor... though it ends in a room that looks different! It's a square, medium-sized room, with its floor covered in an ankle-high layer of mud. On the other side of the room, there's an iron door with an easily visible lock, and on the right wall there's a niche, in which you can see a large, brass key. There's a small hole in the wall on the other side. After a short while, you hear the faint sound of metal door in the corridor behind you opening and closing, and Sebastian enters the room soon.

Sebastian

The same as Jacob above, except that when you arrive to the mud-filled room, there's also Jacob in here, and you don't hear nor see yourself entering the room again of course.
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-05-18 at 05:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Simura hums to herself as she trots along the tunnel. She doesn't even stop when she reaches the block; she simply jumps up to the top of the block and strolling along with her pompom dragging against the ceiling. Wings are awesome things to have, even when you don't know how to fly. And being two feet tall is handy, too.

"I thought this was supposed to be an obstacle course..."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Simura

A short distance after the block, the corridor splits into two directions - the corridor leading onwards ends in a dead end after around fifteen feet, so the only reasonable thing is to go to the side. The corridor here ends in an iron door, similar to those at the beginning of the challenge - yet when you approach them, they open on their own, also closing behind you as you step through them.

You arrive in a large, circular room, similar to the previos ones in appearance (this "practice dungeon" looks pretty dull...), filled with similar metal doors over the whole wall. One of them opens a short while after you enter the room, and closes behind you as you enter it.

Another corridor... though it ends in a room that looks different! It's a square, medium-sized room, with its floor covered in an ankle-high layer of mud. On the other side of the room, there's an iron door with an easily visible lock, and on the right wall there's a niche, in which you can see a large, brass key. There's a small hole in the wall on the other side.

(The other two are not here, this is just a similar room.)

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Sebastian glances around the room to get his bearings. He recognizes the other person in the room after a second glance. Umm...don't tell me...Jacob...yeah Jacob. So what do you think of this room? Shoud I just attempt to pick the lock or what? He shifts a small bag out from under his cloak. It's his thievery kit. Maybe we should do something with that key though...I'd hate to have this door explode on me or something.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Simon

Walking over to the wall and staring up at the hole. This is not gonna be easy...i knew i should have spent more time outside. "

He begins his attempt to climb the wall. After about 5 minutes of struggling he finally manages to get to the hole. Climbing thru to the other side.

Covered in sweat he walks over to the door.That was more difficult than expected.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jacob

oh great .. my boots are going to be ruined

"Oh hi ... eeuh ... <scratches his head> ... eeuh ... Sebastian! yeah that's it. yeah never been good with names ..."

"I don't know if they'd rig the door. such bombs might kill people ... playing along and getting the key might be the best idea I guess. I wonder whats with the hole though: I think it either spits mud, or it shoots an arrow thingy when we try and get the key ...

Jacob goes to the hole and examines it (he's not standing right in front of it though ...). If he doesn't see anything special, he tries moving his hand quick in front of it (if its something like a electric eye/arrow trap, that he triggers it without getting hit).
    Last edited by qube; 2007-05-19 at 02:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon

A short distance after the block, the corridor splits into two directions - the corridor leading onwards ends in a dead end after around fifteen feet, so the only reasonable thing is to go to the side. The corridor here ends in an iron door, similar to those at the beginning of the challenge - yet when you approach them, they open on their own, also closing behind you as you step through them.

Another corridor... though it ends in a room that looks different! It's a square, medium-sized room, with its floor covered in an ankle-high layer of mud. On the other side of the room, there's an iron door with an easily visible lock, and on the right wall there's a niche, in which you can see a large, brass key. There's a small hole in the wall on the other side.

Apart from you, there's also Simura in this room.

Simura

After a short while, you hear the faint sound of metal door in the corridor behind you opening and closing, and Simon enters the room soon.

Jacob

The hole is very small, probably too small for an arrow to shoot out of it, but you see something inside - zapping sparks light up and and disappear. When you move your hand before the hole, nothing happens.
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-05-19 at 03:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Simura hmmmms, looking around the room. She then perks up as Simon enters the room, and does a backflip, landing on his shoulders! "Hey Blackstar! So, what do you think of this room? It's obviously some sort of trap... I mean, they put the key right there..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: Tengu's Final Fantasy

Jacob

"very interesting ... <waits 2.6 seconds> ... well, I'm out of ideas. Sebastian, any idea what could give sparks here in the wall? ... perhaps a lightning trap?"

Jacobs walks upto the door and bangs 3 times on it.
    "never hurts to be polite does it"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing happens with the door. Not unexpected, to be honest.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Simon

"Ah, with the mud on my shoulders. Simura!" He sighs. "So how do we get that key?"

Simon walks over to the small hole and tries to take a look inside, without being directly in front of it.

"Any ideas Simura?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon

The hole is very small, probably too small for an arrow to shoot out of it, but you see something inside - zapping sparks light up and and disappear. They seem to be magical in nature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Simura leans down, staring into the hole while simultaneously obstructing Simon's view by way of her stomach. "...Mana..." She seems to be mesmerised for a few seconds, before snapping out of it and hopping down to the floor. "So... Thunder trap?"

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

Sebastian fails to suppress a chuckle at Jacob's antics.
    That's worth a shot...not that I've ever seen it work. Electricity eh? Why not jam some mud in the sparky hole and then get the key? He scoops up some mud and walks next to the hole. Well, what do you think?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jacob Hextombe

"Brilliant. Simple easy, not to much of hassle ... better let me handle it ... might get a jolt from it." he says with a smile

"Seems I owe you an apology for the scout being only half crack".

((OOC, since I'm guessing you're asleep right now, and I'm not ...
    and we both agree on the plan, might go ahead with it ... ))

Jacob takes of his leather gloves, and start to stuff the hole with mud carefully ...
    Last edited by qube; 2007-05-20 at 01:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Strangely, stuffing the hole with mud didn't set up the trap.

(I bet you want to take the key now, so...)

The exact moment one of you steps before the niche to take the key, a spray of mud ejects from the hole - it seems that the improvised barrier worked! A few seconds later, a spring rises oneedge of the tile which was apparently under the mud before the niche, which'd make the person standing there fall - if it was still standing there.

The key fits the lock. The door is now open.
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-05-20 at 01:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    which'd make the person standing there fall - if it was still standing there.
    noone's there anymore: suppose there was a second volley of shocks, that the mud-barriar didn't stop...

Jacob whipes of his hands and puts his gloves back on ... then he walks through the door. "I wonder If we'll meet any others here ..."

(I don't know if Sebastian want's to scout, but I'm guessing we don't move far from each other) <though its possible that scouting doesn't matter for the next challenge ...>.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Behind the door, there is another boring corridor... which ends with a ladder leading up, to a wooden trap-door in the ceiling. It leads to a thin but long room, with a row of similar trapdoors, and a door on one of the wide walls. When you enter it, fresh air blows into your face - you are outside! The room was inside a, usually locked, building, which borders with the courtyard in front of the Academy.

And it seems that the whole place is ready for the final part! Around a dozen of armored guards make sure that no civilian gets past the temporary fence around the courtyard - there's quite a crowd over there! - and two others keep close watch at the sides of the throne... where a richly-dressed, middle-aged man with long, blue hair and sideburns, eyes and face showing interes in the things that happen around him, sits. Even without his crown and royal scepter it'd be obvious that it's king Malach of Sour himself!

The sheets from the cages are partially removed, and everyone can see what's inside! In the first one, curious creatures reside - each of them has a round, yellow body, around 3 feel in diameter, possessing a single, constatly frowning eye which is almost as big, a pair of bat-like wings, a tail, and two short legs, ending with sharp claws. The creatures in the second cage are a bit more ordinary - they look like wolves or other canines, with brown and gray fur, except that their hair is stiff and pointy, resembling needles just like in a porcupine's case. The cages are open, and some of the creatures are even outside them, though they seem to wander around passively. There's around a dozen of all those creatures in total, and apart from them, king Malach and the guards, there's only one person inside the courtyard - a red-haired man with a full beard, wearing a blue robe and smoking a pipe, who just noticed Jacob and Sebastian, and approaches them.
    "Well, it was not so hard, eh? Seems you two are first this year. Take ya time, rest and prepare, and lemme know when you're ready for the last part of the test! See those beauties over there? The flying eyes are Pygmy Ahrimans (normal ones are much bigger, ya see!), and the canines - Thornwolves. Each of ya must choose one monster, fight it individually, and beat the crap outta it! Remember, don't kill'em - don't worry, they won't kill ya either as long as I'm over here, controlling their weak minds. Now it'd be a different matter if they were at wild, but they ain't." He grins. "Take yer time and tell me when you're ready, pals."
    "Ah, and I almost forgot." He adds after a second. "See that table over there? Those bottles on it are healing potions. Each of ya can take one of'em, and keep it. A present for those who got that far, and I'm sure they'll be useful in or after the fights!"
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-05-20 at 05:18 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jacob Hextombe

"Yeah well with his wits and my muscles, No wonder we're here first..."

"A one-on-one fight you say? That hardly seem fair ... poor critters. Oh well, I'll take a thornwolf. Don't wanna waist my time bouncing a walking beachball, you see." Jacob walks up to the table and takes a potion, which dissapears in his vest.

He starts stretching ... his legs, his arms; some shadow boxing, some very high kicks ... then he crackes his knuckles.
    "Well, If ya make him running away if his almost dead, I won't kill him ... Well I'm ready ... bring it on ..."

((combat: Jacob will start with a series of jump attacks. If he gets under halve hp, he'll quarf his potion and use beserk. if he gets under halve again (and thus having received 100 damage), he'll use his limit breaker))
    ((flavor, Jacob starts with a tripple salto, landing the back of his foot on the head of the wolf. then he jumps up again, and when he lands, he uses his right fist to hit when landing; from crouched position he rolls backward to his feet, makes a single salto and slams both fists ,like a hamer on the critter))

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Simon
    "Let's just plug up this hole with some of this mud and that should stop it from making it across the room."

Simon grabs a handful of mud and jams it into the hole.

"Simura go grab the key. Just in case though...grab it quick."