New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Strong Female Protagonist II

So, what are biscotti in America?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So, what are biscotti in America?
    Terrible..
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #303

Uh, I looked it up. So it means cantucci in America? If you eat them with tea like Brad is doing, they are bound to taste horribly even if they are good, since they are meant to be taken with the sweet, dense, strong dessert wine variety known as vin santo.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #304

New comic is up.

Allison is still more articulate and clear than I am after a long day:P
    I'm always sad when a marginalized community fractures itself further, but it's a common thing. I like the way it is being paralleled in the comic.

5. - Top - End - #305

I think I get what she is saying. There are a lot of people here that arent boiling kettles of rage, who want to help others, sort of like brad himself, so she was hoping they would want to help others through her network, organization, whatever. Is it a paying job? If so its possible that could help even more. I mean the running theme of a lot of the bitter types is how tough it is to live a life looking like they do, so I would also assume getting a decent job isnt exactly easy either. So in a way she would be helping them while they help others.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think she might be showing a bit of magical thinking here. Oh those people are here to get help, so their problems are over, next issue!. Girl really doesn't deal well with complex and long term solutions or complexity in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Allison is chronically short sighted but I don't think this is an example.

Allison's right in that there are people here who want to do more, the conversation moderators or Amanda for example. Couple that with the fact that Valkerie is going to need things like counselors far mor than it needs "Heroes" and that one of the best ways to get into a better mental state is to help other people.

In this particular instance I'd have to say that Allison has a clearer view of things than Brad who I suspect is letting his own experience as a child soldier color his expectations of what sort of help Allison is looking for.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah... her thing would help the people whose major problem is finding a place where they are accepted and feel useful but don't have a ton of issues beyond that (Amanda for example looks like a candidate). But many more of them are not nearly well adjusted enough to help themselves let alone anyone else, and Brad knows Allison enough to realize she would pressure them to help. Pressure them with kindness and support sure, but Allison at her worst is a bully and that would be a recipe for disaster with a lot of the people at the... thing (conference??) no matter how good her intentions are.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Alison had a cool idea because of an individual interaction that worked out; Brad is correctly pointing out that it wouldn't work at an organizational level, because Brad's organization doesn't interact in that way with the people they serve. Even if some people who go to the doctor would benefit from volunteering with Doctors Without Borders, and might be really helpful to DWB, and might even like to volunteer with DWB in theory, they don't go to the doctor to be recruited for DWB, and it's inappropriate to disrupt the patient experience in that way. I chalk this up to inexperience more than any kind of inherent character flaw.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

I really enjoyed the last comic. It's a wonderful moment of levity after all the heavy stuff with Brad, and it doesn't feel like a waste of time like Max. Too bad it won't seem to last, but it was a nice touch to have the red-faced iron woman reappear in a more relaxed setting.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I really enjoyed the last comic. It's a wonderful moment of levity after all the heavy stuff with Brad, and it doesn't feel like a waste of time like Max. Too bad it won't seem to last, but it was a nice touch to have the red-faced iron woman reappear in a more relaxed setting.
    A shame the peace won't last, judging by the last panel.
    Would have been nice to see those characters in a less... serious atmosphere. Well, maybe some of them will show up again.
    Whatever is happening, I hope Alison’s inevitable interference doesn't make it worse
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't interfere Al. Don't say your piece of mind! Don't try to save anyone!

She's gonna go in and make a bad situation worse, ain't she?

13. - Top - End - #313

In my ignorance, I am somewhat terrified by the concept of absence of men making a place safe for women.

I guess safe doesn't mean what it normally means?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

That's what happens when you forge your groups based upon specific traits. Everyone who happens to have the trait's opposite becomes a dangerous other to be feared and shunned.

I agree. It's a terrifying notion with horrible implications. But these are the struggles of our time and the discussion in the comic is depressingly realistic.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't interfere Al. Don't say your piece of mind! Don't try to save anyone!

She's gonna go in and make a bad situation worse, ain't she?
    Of course she will. I'm actually surprised she didn't already.
    And the beautiful part is that all she has to do is to get involved at all.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #316

I dont think there is anything anyone can say or do that wouldnt make the situation worse. Honestly, I just think the biggest problem here is too many groups, too many restrictions. Instead of banding together for support, they are breaking themselves up into tinier and tinier portions which will do nothing but make them feel even more alone because in the end there can be only one "you" and noone else can be allowed into "your" group. This is like breaking up a cancer support group into portions based on how you feel about your situation. Those who are depressed go here, those who are angry go there, etc etc etc. And then yelling at someone for trying to join the depressed group because sometimes they also feel angry. Its stupid because, in the end, you all have cancer and need support. And that doesnt mean you have to surround yourself with people who are in a precisely identical situation as you with no deviations or else they could never understand.

A part of me is wondering if this is some "subtle" way the author is trying to point out how out of control specialized groups, safe spaces trigger warnings, all of it, has gotten over the last few years.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The author has yet to demonstrate 'subtlety' as one of their writing credits, so I doubt it. SFP is a great read, but it is not subtle in the issues it pushes, any more than its main character is.

18. - Top - End - #318

Hence the air quotes I wrote around it. I was basically asking if this was meant to be a political statement of how they feel about the whole safe space trigger warning mess or if they were just showing how it can be taken to a ludicrous extreme.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

The latter is much more likely, considering little about the comic to date indicates that the author considers trigger warnings and safe spaces a mess as a whole. That seems much more like an imposition by readers eager to call the whole thing off.

Things can be complicated and contentious and fraught with emotion and potential pitfalls, without being contemptible or terrifying/horrifying/whatever scare word you want to use.

20. - Top - End - #320

On a semi related note, is anyone else having trouble with their comments vanishing from the board of the comic? I get the message that they have to approve it or whatever, but then it just kinda goes away.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

When that happens to me, I assume the mods either didn't get to the comment or didn't approve it. I haven't had a comment that was successfully posted disappear, though. Not to my knowledge, anyway.

22. - Top - End - #322

I dont think I have ever had a comment actually appear. I have more or less given up on writing there at this point.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh. You're not missing out on much. Those comment fields aren't exactly breeding grounds for solid and intellectual discourse.

That said, I made a comment myself there once. The comment then disappeared, but it reappeared about a day or two later. No idea why or how, but it might be that your comment is back now.

And I'll be honest. I'm unsure exactly what the comic is trying to tell here. I have a feeling that it should be anviliciously apparent, but the comic jumps so much around on social issues that the question of what exactly it's trying to convey becomes difficult to answer. This is in some ways a rehash of Tina (gas in a robot girl) from earlier, but with the position ostensibly reversed.

24. - Top - End - #324

And I'll be honest. I'm unsure exactly what the comic is trying to tell here.
    "There's a time to talk. There's a time to listen. And there's a time to spray people with a water hose."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    "There's a time to talk. There's a time to listen. And there's a time to spray people with a water hose."
    Wait. I'm confused. I thought that there's always a time to spray people with a water hose.

26. - Top - End - #326

Is she going to turn to the dark side? She looks like she's going to turn to the dark side.

Did she say anything about sand?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ok no real link to the latest comics but I just thought of Moonshadow's start of darkness: I don't like men, they're coarse and get everywhere.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, seems like the situation sort of resolved itself without Alison putting her foot in her mouth...

Is it normal for the guy to shout "THEY SAID YES!"? I'd have assumed he'd be "She said yes" or if it has to be They, then someone else would say that, meaning the couple.

Or is this another situation where we have a gender-ambiguous pairing? Though it doesn't look like it tbh.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Or is this another situation where we have a gender-ambiguous pairing? Though it doesn't look like it tbh.
    I interpreted the line as the girl being various people inhabiting that body. Perhaps a symbiote situation. Could even be a body-cloner that forms independent versions of herself with a telepathic link.
    Truth resists simplicity.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

I just took "they" as a gender neutral third person singular pronoun.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."